PDA

View Full Version : How Should Denver Address S/ILB/TE Needs?

OldschoolFreak
04-22-2011, 10:41 AM
Ok, everybody's got their boards and their position on the Dareus/Peterson debate and I don't want to rehash that again here.

This thread starts with the assumption that there's no trade and that we leave the first round with Dareus or Fairley.

So my question for all you draft prognosticators is...Assuming we go DT in round one, what combination of players/picks do you see us pursuing to shore up the S, ILB, and TE positions?

From what I've been reading on the interwebs, it seems like we could line up our board strategically to get one of the top 2 or 3 prospects at each of these positions.

Question: who are your faves at each position and how do you line up the picks to address all three?

nevcraw
04-22-2011, 10:55 AM
if you believe the mocks we could be in line for the highest rade D player in Rnd #1 and snag both the highest rated TE and saftey in rnd. 2. but I have a feeling though that Fox is going to want a running back in 2 especially if if Leshoure is still there. There are indications the TE in his offense is primarily a blocker so maybe a late rnd pick.
is there a ILB prospect worthy of the 3rd?

TXBRONC
04-22-2011, 11:10 AM
I'm all for getting a middle linebacker but I don't think it's a real big need. Denver can field a solid starting trio in Woodyard, Mays, and Williams imho. Don't get wrong if went Mike linebacker in the second round I could live with that.

If there's a good safety in the second round I would take him same with tight end.

Another position we have to address is offensive right tackle.

underrated29
04-22-2011, 11:17 AM
I think we go ORT and DE/DT again.

banjvanail ilavano or whatever that dudes name is for ORT. And maybe an allen bailey or kendrick ellis, for DE/DT

oh yeah, and IMO we take Dontay Moch with our 2nd 2nd, but thats been in my sig for a while so not really anything new there. HE is a DE/LB-in our system a LB..

TE would piss me off like no other! We have so many other great needs and TE in a system that got by with donta rosario is a waste, especially with the depth this year. I like Sears the TE in the 6th.

rcsodak
04-22-2011, 11:19 AM
Since there are no 1st rd talent TE's in this draft, I think the FO should use what he has and address it next year, or see what free agency has to offer.
Safety, same with the talent, but I'd be giddy with QCarter. He's a fantastic human being, hits like a traiin and can cover/separate the ball from the wr and catch. (3rd rd)
ILB, I've heard good things of Foster, WA. (2nd rd).

OldschoolFreak
04-22-2011, 11:25 AM
I guess I'm just surprised/excited that all the "top prospects" (the ones below are from Walterfootball.com) at our positions of need line up so well with our picks.

So the question I have is beyond these rankings, does anyone have any insights as to who of these top guys are the best fit. I'll admit I don't watch enough of the college game to have an actual ability to choose between these guys.Does anyone who does know the college game a little better have a can't miss grade on any of these guys?

OldschoolFreak
04-22-2011, 11:26 AM
Top ILB Prospects
1-Martez Wilson, ILB, Illinois - Scouting Report
Height: 6-4. Weight: 250.
Projected 40 Time: 4.57.
Combine 40 Time: 4.44.
Pro Day 40 Time: DNP.
Benchx225: 23. Vertical: 36. Arm: 34 5/8.
Projected Round (2011): 2.

2-Quan Sturdivant, LB, North Carolina
Height: 6-1. Weight: 241.
Projected 40 Time: 4.60.
Combine 40 Time: DNP.
Pro Day 40 Time: 4.65.
Benchx225: 21. Vertical: 34. Arm: 32 1/2.
Projected Round (2011): 2-3.

3- Colin McCarthy, LB, Miami
Height: 6-1. Weight: 238.
Projected 40 Time: 4.61.
Combine 40 Time: 4.64.
Benchx225: 23. Vertical: 36.5. Arm: 29 1/2.
Projected Round (2011): 3-4.

Top S Prospects
1-Rahim Moore, FS, UCLA - Scouting Report
Height: 6-0. Weight: 202.
Projected 40 Time: 4.48.
Combine 40 Time: 4.53.
Benchx225: 11. Vertical: 35. Arm: 30 1/4.
Projected Round (2011): 2.

2-Quinton Carter, FS, Oklahoma
Height: 6-1. Weight: 208.
Projected 40 Time: 4.56.
Combine 40 Time: 4.62.
Pro Day 40 Time: .
Benchx225: 23. Vertical: 34.5. Arm: 31 1/2.
Projected Round (2011): 3-4.

3-Tyler Sash, SS, Iowa
Height: 6-0. Weight: 210.
Projected 40 Time: 4.60.
Combine 40 Time: 4.63.
Pro Day 40 Time: 4.61.
Benchx225: 14. Vertical: 33. Arm: 30.
Projected Round (2012): 3-4.

OldschoolFreak
04-22-2011, 11:29 AM
Top TE Prospects
1-Kyle Rudolph, TE, Notre Dame
Height: 6-6. Weight: 258.
Projected 40 Time: 4.62.
Combine 40 Time: DNP.
Pro Day 40 Time: 4.75.
Benchx225: 19. Vertical: 34.5.
Projected Round (2011): Top 40 Pick.

2-Luke Stocker, TE, Tennessee
Height: 6-5. Weight: 258.
Projected 40 Time: 4.71.
Combine 40 Time: 4.76.
Pro Day 40 Time: .
Benchx225: 27. Vertical: 33.

3-Lance Kendricks, TE, Wisconsin
Height: 6-3. Weight: 247.
Projected 40 Time: 4.71.
Combine 40 Time: 4.66.
Pro Day 40 Time: 4.50.
Benchx225: 25. Vertical: 38.

dogfish
04-22-2011, 11:39 AM
i wouldn't in any way try to line up our picks to address all these needs-- continuing to burn high picks on seondary positions like TE and SAM is exactly what we don't need to do. . .

use our picks to address our most pressing needs-- defensive line, defensive line, defensive line, and maybe offensive line if a right tackle we like is available. . . i want us to draft where the value is, and this year it's on the DL. . .value meets glaring need. . .

i wouldn't hate moch or greg jones in the third, but i'm going to be angry if we draft martez wilson in the seond, or any tight end in the second or third. . . quinton carter's probably the only safety that won't make me throw something at the TV. . .

sucks that the linebacker and safety groups aren't stronger this year, but you can't make up for it by wasting a pick on one of them anyway. . . i would try DJ back at MIKE for a year, and try to get a SAM 'backer and mid-level TE in free agency-- preferrably james anderson, and someone like bo scaife or maybe kevin boss. . . .

OldschoolFreak
04-22-2011, 11:54 AM
use our picks to address our most pressing needs-- defensive line, defensive line, defensive line, and maybe offensive line if a right tackle we like is available. . . i want us to draft where the value is, and this year it's on the DL. . .value meets glaring need. . .

sucks that the linebacker and safety groups aren't stronger this year, but you can't make up for it by wasting a pick on one of them anyway

I see your point but in terms of shoring up a position in one draft, we've gone that route before and I've not seen it work out great in the past (Williams/Paymah/Foxworth), (Moss/Crowder/Thomas), and to a lesser extent (Smith/McBath/Bruton).

Also, in terms of your second point here. I've always felt the conventional wisdom about "lack of talent at a certain position in a given draft" is limited. Sure there might not be a lot of depth but if you can pick up the top prospect at a given position any given year, even if it's a weak year at that position, it seems like a good bet to me.

dogfish
04-22-2011, 11:59 AM
I see your point but in terms of shoring up a position in one draft, we've gone that route before and I've not seen it work out great in the past (Williams/Paymah/Foxworth), (Moss/Crowder/Thomas), and to a lesser extent (Smith/McBath/Bruton).

that was because shanahan sucked ass at drafting, not because there's anything inherently wrong with the approach. . . it's one thing if you're talking about drafting multiple players to compete for one spot, but we realistically need at least two more good DTs, and ideally a good end as well. . .

SOCALORADO.
04-22-2011, 12:04 PM
1. DT Dareus
2A ILB M.Wilson
2B DT Paea
3 TE Stocker

The best FSs are CBs in this draft. Thats how bad they are.
Forget the position unless DEN can simply get a solid safety in FA.(if it ever was open)
Build the front 7, pressure the QB, and the current secondary looks golden.

Traveler
04-22-2011, 12:05 PM
I'd like to see them address ILB (Wilson)and OT (Franklin) in round two. FS (Sands) or RB (Murray) in round three.

My hope is that the team does not waste a pick on a TE until the 6th round at the earliest. Maybe on a developmental kid with nice receiving skills. Someone like Jordan Cameron. Focus on a starter at the TE position in FA ( Kevin Boss). Also address S in FA.

CoachChaz
04-22-2011, 12:19 PM
1. Dareus
2a. Marvin Austin
2b. Martez Wilson
3. Ben Ijalana

SOCALORADO.
04-22-2011, 12:59 PM
1. Dareus
2a. Marvin Austin
2b. Martez Wilson
3. Ben Ijalana

Yeah, i'll take it!

TXBRONC
04-22-2011, 02:56 PM
Like I said earlier I think from the linebackers currently on the roster we can put together a solid trio.

rcsodak
04-22-2011, 03:05 PM
Like I said earlier I think from the linebackers currently on the roster we can put together a solid trio.
Depth never hurts. And when there are no real stars in the draft, that, to me, is the best time to add it.

SpringsBroncoFan
04-22-2011, 03:27 PM
1. Dareus
2a. Marvin Austin
2b. Martez Wilson
3. Ben Ijalana

As long as Austin doesn't implode, I'd be happy with that.

I'm curious as to how the Broncos rank Franklin & Ijalana, both can be nasty... Raiders rumored to be interested in Ijalana at 48 though... :eek:

underrated29
04-22-2011, 03:32 PM
Raiders rumored to be interested in Ijalana at 48 though... :eek:

Good thing we pick at 46 :)

SOCALORADO.
04-22-2011, 03:53 PM
Good thing we pick at 46 :)

You watch any tape on the RB from Eastern Washington, Taiwan Jones i think his name is?

underrated29
04-22-2011, 05:02 PM
You watch any tape on the RB from Eastern Washington, Taiwan Jones i think his name is?

Negative. I cant watch any film anymore. I am in FULL VEGAS MODE. I leave in 4 days and aside from work its all I can think about.

But I have heard good things from him. supposedly lighting fast right. Yeah, I want him.

dogfish
04-22-2011, 06:01 PM
Negative. I cant watch any film anymore. I am in FULL VEGAS MODE. I leave in 4 days and aside from work its all I can think about.

But I have heard good things from him. supposedly lighting fast right. Yeah, I want him.

are you still renting out the bellagio for that party?

i'm definitely flying out for the weekend-- that shit is gonna be ridiulous. . .

underrated29
04-22-2011, 06:27 PM
are you still renting out the bellagio for that party?

i'm definitely flying out for the weekend-- that shit is gonna be ridiulous. . .

The Riviera.
Peeps at the bellagio are too high strung.

Apparently getting drunk, naked, lubed up in ky and putting a slip n slide in the hallways and having everyone sliding down it is crossing the line. Bunch of chumps.

dogfish
04-22-2011, 06:28 PM
The Riviera.
Peeps at the bellagio are too high strung.

Apparently getting drunk, naked, lubed up in ky and putting a slip n slide in the hallways and having everyone sliding down it is crossing the line. Bunch of chumps.

yea, that's not cool. . .

underrated29
04-22-2011, 06:31 PM
yea, that's not cool. . .

In which way?

Not cool like they are chumps not cool?

or not cool because you work at the bellagio not cool?
:D

hey hey, we do have 1 extra ticket to vegas..its a one way though, so you are on your own getting back. Ticket is $25.00

*this goes for lurker too, but only if you are a hot female.

dogfish
04-23-2011, 01:00 AM
i wish-- i'm so broke right now. . .

rcsodak
04-23-2011, 06:17 AM
i wish-- i'm so broke right now. . .
Too broke to pay attention

Bullgator
04-23-2011, 09:47 AM
The safteis you mentioned will all be gone unless we waste an earlier pick to get them... check out Ahmad Black, hes a special player and a ball hawk... his stats are as good as anyone in the country over his career but he is projected only as a late 3rd rounder maybe 4rth... a steal imo

Northman
04-23-2011, 09:52 AM
The safteis you mentioned will all be gone unless we waste an earlier pick to get them... check out Ahmad Black, hes a special player and a ball hawk... his stats are as good as anyone in the country over his career but he is projected only as a late 3rd rounder maybe 4rth... a steal imo

For once we agree on something.

underrated29
04-23-2011, 11:34 AM
Too broke to pay attention

Actually not. He read it right.
The PS- was for the lurkers.

SmilinAssasSin27
04-24-2011, 04:53 PM
I'd ignore MLB and Safety. Both positions will have MUCH better prospect classes in 2012. Not to mention, Jon Beason can be a Free Agent in 2012. He's the one guy I would pay for and I'm hoping Foxxy feels the same way.

In round 2, I go DE and DT again. Gimme Allen Bailey, DE from Miami and another DT. If Bailey is gone, Sheard from Pitt is VERY interesting. QA bit lite, but "experts" say he can add weight. At DT, I prefer Marvin Austin, but some are now saying he'll go in round 1. If that's the case, I see Paea slipping to round 2. His stock is dropping since the combine is old news and people are remembering his lack of experience. He's a project, but one I'd love to have.

So any combo of Bailey/Sheard and Austin/Paea, to me, are worlds ahead of any Safety/ILB combo we could take in round 2.

There are 3 TEs I'd like in round 3.
Luke Stocker from Tennessee (complete TE)
DJ Williams of Arkansas (jumps off the screen to me. Has the IT factor)
Virgil Green of Nevada (project, but should create matchup issues in passing game)

dogfish
04-24-2011, 05:18 PM
I'd ignore MLB and Safety. Both positions will have MUCH better prospect classes in 2012. Not to mention, Jon Beason can be a Free Agent in 2012. He's the one guy I would pay for and I'm hoping Foxxy feels the same way.

In round 2, I go DE and DT again. Gimme Allen Bailey, DE from Miami and another DT. If Bailey is gone, Sheard from Pitt is VERY interesting. QA bit lite, but "experts" say he can add weight. At DT, I prefer Marvin Austin, but some are now saying he'll go in round 1. If that's the case, I see Paea slipping to round 2. His stock is dropping since the combine is old news and people are remembering his lack of experience. He's a project, but one I'd love to have.

So any combo of Bailey/Sheard and Austin/Paea, to me, are worlds ahead of any Safety/ILB combo we could take in round 2.

There are 3 TEs I'd like in round 3.
Luke Stocker from Tennessee (complete TE)
DJ Williams of Arkansas (jumps off the screen to me. Has the IT factor)
Virgil Green of Nevada (project, but should create matchup issues in passing game)

that's exactly what i'm talkin' about. . .

HORSEPOWER 56
04-24-2011, 05:51 PM
Sooner or later, there will be some type of FA period, even if it's only for a week before the season starts. I'd prefer we address TE/S/RB during that time. I'd like this draft to be all defensive front 7 if possible.

We spent a 2nd round pick and traded another (Phonz) for 2 TEs that are pretty awful. If we spend another draft pick on a position we only use as an extra blocker, we're fools.

If you really want to address several things at once, draft Charles Clay from Tulsa. The guy is the complete package. He runs like a HB, blocks like a FB, and catches like an H-Back.

This guy is Peyton Hillis part II who can block. I'd love to see us take this guy later on in the draft. He's a swiss army knife player that is actually good at everything.

Lonestar
04-25-2011, 10:40 PM

Also, in terms of your second point here. I've always felt the conventional wisdom about "lack of talent at a certain position in a given draft" is limited. Sure there might not be a lot of depth but if you can pick up the top prospect at a given position any given year, even if it's a weak year at that position, it seems like a good bet to me.

but remember this FO cabal is nothing like the ones you mentioned.

Lonestar
04-25-2011, 10:43 PM
1. DT Dareus
2A ILB M.Wilson
2B DT Paea
3 TE Stocker

The best FSs are CBs in this draft. Thats how bad they are.
Forget the position unless DEN can simply get a solid safety in FA.(if it ever was open)
Build the front 7, pressure the QB, and the current secondary looks golden.

FIX the DL and most of the other players are almost automatically better.

Who ever is not is gone next year.

Anyone thinking that this team is going to turn around in one year or maybe even 3 send me a PM with your email, as I have ocean beach front land for sale down the street.

underrated29
04-25-2011, 10:50 PM
FIX the DL and most of the other players are almost automatically better.

Who ever is not is gone next year.

Anyone thinking that this team is going to turn around in one year or maybe even 3 send me a PM with your email, as I have ocean beach front land for sale down the street.

How much?

Lonestar
04-25-2011, 10:54 PM
How much?

how much do you have?

SpringsBroncoFan
04-26-2011, 02:26 AM
My final answer to this thread is in my sig...

Last call... :beer:

Npba900
04-26-2011, 05:52 AM
Ok, everybody's got their boards and their position on the Dareus/Peterson debate and I don't want to rehash that again here.

This thread starts with the assumption that there's no trade and that we leave the first round with Dareus or Fairley.

So my question for all you draft prognosticators is...Assuming we go DT in round one, what combination of players/picks do you see us pursuing to shore up the S, ILB, and TE positions?

From what I've been reading on the interwebs, it seems like we could line up our board strategically to get one of the top 2 or 3 prospects at each of these positions.

Question: who are your faves at each position and how do you line up the picks to address all three?

I think if Coach Foxes first year he needs to concentrate on stopping the run and the pass rush in rounds 1 thru 3 and TE the 4th round. Solidify the D line 2011 then concentrate on S, ILB in 2012.

SpringsBroncoFan
04-26-2011, 12:54 PM
I think if Coach Foxes first year he needs to concentrate on stopping the run and the pass rush in rounds 1 thru 3 and TE the 4th round. Solidify the D line 2011 then concentrate on S, ILB in 2012.

Ahh, 4th round draft picks! Oh wait... damn McDouche...

rcsodak
04-26-2011, 01:34 PM
Sooner or later, there will be some type of FA period, even if it's only for a week before the season starts. I'd prefer we address TE/S/RB during that time. I'd like this draft to be all defensive front 7 if possible.

We spent a 2nd round pick and traded another (Phonz) for 2 TEs that are pretty awful. If we spend another draft pick on a position we only use as an extra blocker, we're fools.

If you really want to address several things at once, draft Charles Clay from Tulsa. The guy is the complete package. He runs like a HB, blocks like a FB, and catches like an H-Back.

This guy is Peyton Hillis part II who can block. I'd love to see us take this guy later on in the draft. He's a swiss army knife player that is actually good at everything.

So Clay= BFH? ;)

rcsodak
04-26-2011, 01:37 PM
Ahh, 4th round draft picks! Oh wait... damn McDouche...he did get you TT. ;)

SpringsBroncoFan
04-26-2011, 01:58 PM
he did get you TT. ;)

In retrospect, I admit I'm pleased with that resulting 1st... although not the foot he stuck in his mouth with the other 1st... ;)

Was referring to that Baloney guy... :lol: