PDA

View Full Version : Retired players to announce draft picks for their old teams

Denver Native (Carol)
04-21-2011, 03:25 PM
WOW - with or without the CBA, I like this idea - I think it should be done this way at every draft.

With the lockout hanging over everything right now, the NFL is looking for things to spice up coverage of the NFL Draft next week, and this may be a great solution — the league has announced that retired players will step to the podium at Radio City Music Hall on Friday to announce the second-round picks of their former teams. The New York Jets, Carolina Panthers, and Miami Dolphins will have the alumni announce their third-rounders, since those teams do not have second-rounders.

It's a pretty impressive list:

Denver Broncos: TE Shannon Sharpe

full list of retired players who will be announcing, and rest of article

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Retired-players-to-announce-draft-picks-for-thei?urn=nfl-wp1105

GEM
04-21-2011, 03:31 PM
Gradishar....

Mecklenberg...

Tombstone...

I want a really retired player dammit. I see Sharpe all the damn time...

Cool gesture though.

rcsodak
04-21-2011, 03:35 PM
It was a nice touch last year. Wonder if the ex-players are being paid?
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
04-21-2011, 04:20 PM
Gradishar....

Mecklenberg...

Tombstone...

Cool gesture though.

Jeesh! Are you one of those ladies that always sends your food back at the restaurant? :laugh:

rcsodak
04-21-2011, 04:27 PM
Jeesh! Are you one of those ladies that always sends your food back at the restaurant? :laugh:
Only ladies do that? :eek:

Northman
04-21-2011, 04:31 PM
Sharpe will be awesome. I like this idea.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
04-21-2011, 06:01 PM
Only ladies do that? :eek:

No, but since she is a lady, I thought it was appropriate to classify her as such.

KCL
04-21-2011, 06:08 PM
The Kansas City Chiefs LB Willie Lanier

One of the all time greats!!!

Class of 1986
Linebacker >>> 6-1, 245
(Morgan State)
1967-1977 Kansas City Chiefs

Willie Edward Lanier. . .Chiefs' No. 2 pick, 1967 draft. . .Fast, agile, quick-thinking, anchor of Kansas City's vaunted defense. . . Nicknamed "Contact" because of ferocious tackling. . .Durable, missed only one game his last 10 years . . .Intercepted 27 passes for 440 yards, two TDs. . . Defensive star in Super Bowl IV upset. . .All-AFL/AFC eight times. . . Elected to two AFL All-Star games, six AFC-NFC Pro Bowls. . .Born August 21, 1945, in Clover, Virginia.

rcsodak
04-21-2011, 06:50 PM
No, but since she is a lady, I thought it was appropriate to classify her as such.
Nice touch. ;)

rcsodak
04-21-2011, 06:50 PM
The Kansas City Chiefs LB Willie Lanier

One of the all time greats!!!

Who?

KCL
04-21-2011, 07:52 PM
Who?

Shut up...:D

He was the first black player at the LB position...and he helped the
Chiefs win a SB...I realize that's back when the players wore leather helmets and color TV hadn't been invented yet but from what I have read he was
an excellent player!

rcsodak
04-22-2011, 05:03 AM
Shut up...:D

He was the first black player at the LB position...and he helped the
Chiefs win a SB...I realize that's back when the players wore leather helmets and color TV hadn't been invented yet but from what I have read he was
an excellent player!
Read? Oh, ok. I thought you might have had a pic of him on your trs80, back in the day.
;)

dogfish
04-22-2011, 11:31 AM
Gradishar....

Mecklenberg...

Tombstone...

Cool gesture though.

i was kinda hoping for atwater-- nasty defender to set the tone for a new denver culture. . . .

Ziggy
04-22-2011, 03:54 PM
Yeah why would they pick a scrub like Sharpe? He doesn't even represent what Broncos culture is all about. The guy never played with any heart, never won anything, and never displayed on the field what a true Bronco is all about. Heck, he doesn't even have his yellow blazer yet. What are they thinking?

dogfish
04-22-2011, 04:28 PM
Yeah why would they pick a scrub like Sharpe? He doesn't even represent what Broncos culture is all about. The guy never played with any heart, never won anything, and never displayed on the field what a true Bronco is all about. Heck, he doesn't even have his yellow blazer yet. What are they thinking?

awww, shaddup!

:D

GEM
04-22-2011, 05:31 PM

Didn't say that anywhere in my post. Simply said that Sharpe is all over the media, including his HOF induction this summer, it would have been nice to see a different Bronco get some attention. ESPECIALLY since those other guys I mentioned won't get a whiff of the HOF because of the East Coast bias.

Don't put words in my mouth. I ******* love Sharpe as much as Gradishar and Meck, it is just my personal opinion.

MMMMMMKay.

Denver Native (Carol)
04-22-2011, 05:36 PM
I am curious to know if each team picked who they wanted, or is someone else picked them. Also, Shannon works for ESPN, and I think they are the ones who carry the draft. Wonder if that had anything to do with it, as far as Shannon.

Ziggy
04-22-2011, 05:51 PM
Didn't say that anywhere in my post. Simply said that Sharpe is all over the media, including his HOF induction this summer, it would have been nice to see a different Bronco get some attention. ESPECIALLY since those other guys I mentioned won't get a whiff of the HOF because of the East Coast bias.

Don't put words in my mouth. I ******* love Sharpe as much as Gradishar and Meck, it is just my personal opinion.

MMMMMMKay.

Yes Gem, you're entitled to your opinion. So is everyone else. I poke a little fun at you and Dog, and you take it personally. Get a sense of humor already.

Sharpe is going into the HOF this year as a Denver Bronco. Personally, I'd like to see him repping us as much as possible, and getting as much exposure this year as possible. There's a good chance that he's going to get some of his thunder taken away due to the lockout. There may not even be a HOF game this year. Do you seriously think he'll get the same experience that everyone else has if there isn't? I don't.

Put him in his Broncos jersey and let him rep us at the draft, opening day, and every other game if need be. He's earned it.

MMMMMMMMKay.

Denver Native (Carol)
04-22-2011, 05:55 PM
Sharpe is going into the HOF this year as a Denver Bronco. Personally, I'd like to see him repping us as much as possible, and getting as much exposure this year as possible. There's a good chance that he's going to get some of his thunder taken away due to the lockout. There may not even be a HOF game this year. Do you seriously think he'll get the same experience that everyone else has if there isn't? I don't.

Put him in his Broncos jersey and let him rep us at the draft, opening day, and every other game if need be. He's earned it.

I was wondering about what they would do if there was not a HOF game this year. Would they designate one of the first games as the one in which new HOF class would be a part of?

Ziggy
04-22-2011, 06:09 PM
I'm not sure Carol. Either way, the players going in are not going to get the same experience as the ones have in the past. It's a shame. I hope they find a way to get this all sorted out before the preseason starts.

Denver Native (Carol)
04-22-2011, 06:11 PM
I'm not sure Carol. Either way, the players going in are not going to get the same experience as the ones have in the past. It's a shame. I hope they find a way to get this all sorted out before the preseason starts.

Totally agree with you.

KCL
04-22-2011, 08:26 PM
Read? Oh, ok. I thought you might have had a pic of him on your trs80, back in the day.
;)

I don't even know what that is...and BTW Lanier is older than me...:D

Dzone
04-22-2011, 08:41 PM
Thats BS! We want to see Goose Gonsoulin!

Agent of Orange
04-22-2011, 09:51 PM
I wonder if any of them will be ex-players who now live in a wheelchair or have suicidal impulses as a result of concussions? Im guessing no.

BroncoWave
04-23-2011, 12:01 AM
I am curious to know if each team picked who they wanted, or is someone else picked them. Also, Shannon works for ESPN, and I think they are the ones who carry the draft. Wonder if that had anything to do with it, as far as Shannon.

Sharpe works for CBS, not ESPN.

rcsodak
04-23-2011, 06:17 AM
I don't even know what that is...and BTW Lanier is older than me...:Dbarely

rcsodak
04-23-2011, 06:18 AM
I wonder if any of them will be ex-players who now live in a wheelchair or have suicidal impulses as a result of concussions? Im guessing no.
Just how many, as you describe, are there?

GEM
04-23-2011, 09:10 AM
Yes Gem, you're entitled to your opinion. So is everyone else. I poke a little fun at you and Dog, and you take it personally. Get a sense of humor already.

MMMMMMMMKay.

Darn you ziggy! Its times like this we need a sarcasm button. Sorry. End of a stressful week and you caught me grumpy.

KCL
04-23-2011, 11:18 AM
barely

You're no spring chicken yourself rc...:rolleyes:

:D

dogfish
04-23-2011, 01:36 PM
Darn you ziggy! Its times like this we need a sarcasm button. Sorry. End of a stressful week and you caught me grumpy.

and probably half drunk, tuaca girl. . . :lol:

i thought i was gonna have to separate you two. . .

Ziggy
04-23-2011, 04:54 PM

You're forgiven.:D We all have those days.

GEM
04-23-2011, 07:44 PM
I drink tuaca like twice a month, dork. Sheesh! Cant help it, tasty stuff

dogfish
04-23-2011, 08:53 PM
who you callin' dork?

:huh: