PDA

View Full Version : Trade deadline today

broncofaninfla
10-14-2008, 10:01 AM
Well if we are going to make any upgrade on the defense line it will have to happen today. Not looking likely at this point.

jlarsiii
10-14-2008, 10:15 AM
At this point I think that it is a much better idea to keep our draft pics etc. and work on building our D through the draft. There are no quick-fix impact defensive players that we could bring in that would not cost waaaaay too much (much more than the player is actually worth).

Our defense is what we are stuck with for the rest of the season. We will just have to see what they can do from this point on.

MOtorboat
10-14-2008, 10:28 AM
Don't get your hopes up.

TXBRONC
10-14-2008, 10:28 AM
At this point I think that it is a much better idea to keep our draft pics etc. and work on building our D through the draft. There are no quick-fix impact defensive players that we could bring in that would not cost waaaaay too much (much more than the player is actually worth).

Our defense is what we are stuck with for the rest of the season. We will just have to see what they can do from this point on.

Precisely, to get an impact defensive player in trade would come at an inflated cost.

That being said what players players are people thinking Denver should trade for? Denver can make good offers but that doesn't mean by any stretch that another team will accept the offer.

Broncolingus
10-14-2008, 10:33 AM
Agreed with everyone else...nothing to 'buy' out there right now...

Save the picks and either build through the draft (although that's been problematic on the D-line) or save for trade value in the offseason...

TXBRONC
10-14-2008, 10:40 AM
Agreed with everyone else...nothing to 'buy' out there right now...

Save the picks and either build through the draft (although that's been problematic on the D-line) or save for trade value in the offseason...

Even if this was March it would be hard to find the kind of defensive line that could make that big of impact on our defense.

Broncolingus
10-14-2008, 10:43 AM
Even if this was March it would be hard to find the kind of defensive line that could make that big of impact on our defense.

I'm trying real hard to be optomistic...it's a new thing for me.

Hell, if Cleveland can kick the crap out of the Giants on Monday night in front of everyone...

...well...

TXBRONC
10-14-2008, 11:11 AM
I'm trying real hard to be optomistic...it's a new thing for me.

Hell, if Cleveland can kick the crap out of the Giants on Monday night in front of everyone...

...well...

Maybe I've missed it but haven't seen to many posts by you that I thought were negative.

I think we have a good team, our defense is wildly inconsistent but I still think we can make the playoffs.

Traveler
10-14-2008, 11:12 AM
Right now, I'd take Josh Mallard back. At least he got pressure on the QB during his short stint here. Is he available?

Or maybe send a pick to the Dolphins for Paul Soliai (sp?), the 2nd round pick from 07. Last I read, they weren't to happy with his progress. But he's a massive 345 pounder that could possibly clog the middle when using the 3-4.

With our lack of success in drafting defensive players, what makes one think we'd be better off holding on to our draft choices?

yardog
10-14-2008, 11:20 AM
Right now, I'd take Josh Mallard back. At least he got pressure on the QB during his short stint here. Is he available?

Or maybe send a pick to the Dolphins for Paul Soliai (sp?), the 2nd round pick from 07. Last I read, they weren't to happy with his progress. But he's a massive 345 pounder that could possibly clog the middle when using the 3-4.

With our lack of success in drafting defensive players, what makes one think we'd be better off holding on to our draft choices?

:salute:

turftoad
10-14-2008, 11:32 AM

Agreed. That said, we're still in a world of hurt. Even if we do draft DL they still need time to develope before they become servicable players (Moss, Crowder).
Looks like our "D" needs to be in it for the long run.

TXBRONC
10-14-2008, 11:33 AM

You're in favor trading a draft pick for guy who struggles to get even get onto the field?

Soliai can't even get on the field with Dolphins, I don't see that as upgrade.

Traveler
10-14-2008, 12:25 PM
You're in favor trading a draft pick for guy who struggles to get even get onto the field?

Soliai can't even get on the field with Dolphins, I don't see that as upgrade.

Might be better than what we have here. tongue-in cheek. As long as we're not sending more than a 5th or 6th rounder, what's the harm? We just need (young) bulk to clog the middle when using the 3-4.

silkamilkamonico
10-14-2008, 01:32 PM
Might be better than what we have here. tongue-in cheek. As long as we're not sending more than a 5th or 6th rounder, what's the harm? We just need (young) bulk to clog the middle when using the 3-4.

A second round pick isn't going to be devalued to a 5th or 6th in his second year.

He is more likely to be cut, ironic enough.

TXBRONC
10-14-2008, 01:36 PM
A second round pick isn't going to be devalued to a 5th or 6th in his second year.

Probably not until the end of year unless he's a malcontent.

Traveler
10-14-2008, 01:44 PM

Randy Moss was had for a 4th. Dewayne Roberston was obtained for a 7th. My guess is that if Gonzalez is traded, it won't be for more than a 4th.

So it's not out of the realm of possibilities. To be sure, this Soliai guys is no second coming of Jamal Williams of SD, be he "could" be had for little if the team were inclined to make this trade IMO.

DenBronx
10-14-2008, 02:15 PM
there's really no one worth trading a pick for at this point. i think a few are mistakenly thinking that if we got 1 or 2 guys for the dline that we would win the superbowl. this team needs help in too many areas especially on defense. the secondary and linebackers are also huge concerns.

keep all of our picks and use them to keep building this team. if we have a good draft again in 2009 then we will be a force for 5-10 years.

TXBRONC
10-14-2008, 02:23 PM
there's really no one worth trading a pick for at this point. i think a few are mistakenly thinking that if we got 1 or 2 guys for the dline that we would win the superbowl. this team needs help in too many areas especially on defense. the secondary and linebackers are also huge concerns.

keep all of our picks and use them to keep building this team. if we have a good draft again in 2009 then we will be a force for 5-10 years.

I do agree with on the Den. What one or two players could possible do (and I certainly wouldn't hold my breath) is stabilize the defense enough to be semi respectable. I certainly wouldn't think we would go to Super Bowl but it might a long way to getting us to the playoffs.

Traveler
10-14-2008, 02:28 PM

I too agree we should build for the long term. Truth be told, my expectations for this team to really make some noise put us the year 2010-11.

As others have already said, it really comes down to adopting one defensive philosophy and drafting players to fit it.

dogfish
10-14-2008, 02:29 PM

he wasn't a 2nd, he was a 4th. . . .

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?season=2007&round=round1

Traveler
10-14-2008, 02:38 PM
he wasn't a 2nd, he was a 4th. . . .

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?season=2007&round=round1

That's even better!:beer:

LRtagger
10-14-2008, 02:42 PM
I just received a text that the Broncos traded away next year's 4th (conditional 3rd) to Detroit for Cory Redding.

LRtagger
10-14-2008, 02:42 PM
Sike

TXBRONC
10-14-2008, 02:44 PM
That's even better!:beer:

Trav, I don't know trading an unknown for a proven dud doesn't make a lot sense to me.

WARHORSE
10-14-2008, 02:48 PM
Sike

I know it seemed funny.....................

LRtagger
10-14-2008, 03:01 PM
I know it seemed funny.....................

You laughed :D

claymore
10-14-2008, 03:18 PM
Cowboys just got Roy Williams.

claymore
10-14-2008, 03:20 PM
LIONS TRADE ROY WILLIAMS TO COWBOYS
Posted by Michael David Smith on October 14, 2008, 4:03 p.m.
The Detroit Lions have traded wide receiver Roy Williams to the Dallas Cowboys.

Adam Schefter of NFL Network reports that the trade was made today, just before the NFL trade deadline.

It is not clear exactly what compensation the Lions got from the Cowboys, but Schefter reported that Detroit received “at least one first-round pick.”

Williams, who played his high school football for the Permian Panthers and his college football for the Texas Longhorns, will return to his home state. He becomes a free agent at the end of this season.

WARHORSE
10-14-2008, 03:26 PM
The Detroit Lions have offered up a bunch of folks, and no one is off limits.

Id give up a pick or two for Corey Redding.

Puleeeeaze. Also, PFT has stated that LJ, Williams and Gonzo are all on the block from the Chefs.

Too bad they wont give up a couple of safeties, a LBer, and a Dlineman.

heh heh