PDA

View Full Version : Broncos consider OLB Miller with second overall pick

Denver Native (Carol)
04-19-2011, 09:58 AM
With the countdown on for this year's NFL draft, Texas A&M's Von Miller finds himself in the right place at the right time.

"It's a great time to be a linebacker, to do what I do," he said.

It is a spectacular, about-to-win-the-football-lottery time for Miller, widely regarded as the best pass rusher on the draft board. That makes him one of the players who will get a long look when the Broncos' turn pops up at No. 2 overall.

"In this league, you have to rush the passer," Broncos coach John Fox said. "(Quarterbacks are) too good just to let them stand there and look over your defense. He has the skill set to play this game, no doubt."

Mike Sherman, the former Green Bay Packers coach who now runs the Texas A&M program, was asked to describe Miller's play. "Causes concern for the quarterback," Sherman said.

That's something the Broncos could use a lot more of after finishing dead last in sacks among NFL teams a year ago.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_17877532

Denver Native (Carol)
04-19-2011, 10:00 AM
Texas A&M's Von Miller is the top linebacker on this year's draft board. To get him, the Broncos would have to use the No. 2 overall pick.

Should the Broncos move toward Alabama defensive tackle Marcell Dareus, LSU cornerback Patrick Peterson or trade out, they would still need linebackers for their move back to a 4-3 defense.

In terms of athleticism, Nevada's Dontay Moch is the closest thing to Miller and has been to Dove Valley for a predraft visit. The 248-pound Moch doesn't have Miller's football instincts, but he has had staggering workouts that include running the 40-yard dash in 4.4 seconds and jumping 42 inches in the vertical leap.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_17877378

BORDERLINE
04-19-2011, 10:03 AM
I would want them to go d-line...but they are the ones doing the homework and if the scouts/coach feel like Miller is the best selection/fit and a immediate upgrade then I won't fault the pick. As long as in the second round DT gets addressed and so forth

Fan in Exile
04-19-2011, 10:34 AM
I would be happier about him if he had a ton of experience playing SAM, which is where we are the weakest in our linebackers. However if they can still get two DTs that they are happy with. I would probably be okay.

underrated29
04-19-2011, 11:33 AM
I dont know what it is, but a lot of the stuff I have watched on Von is not really all that impressive to me...It must be me because EVERYONE, literally everyone thinks this kid is 100% the goods. I just dont get why I do not see it on tape.

Anyway, I think I would rather go Dareus/fairley first and then get dontay moch in the later 2nd or 3rd...Dontay was a DE converting to LB and while not as polished could turn out close to vonny.

Dzone
04-19-2011, 11:37 AM
I like the pick. His personality, His leadership.

TXBRONC
04-19-2011, 11:44 AM
If we draft him we draft him but I hope we don't. I think he's impressive athlete but we need to strengthen the interior of the defense. I don't think outside linebacker is big need.

Ravage!!!
04-19-2011, 11:53 AM
I wouldn't have a problem with it, because no matter what, we need the best players POSSIBLE on this team. Everywhere. That, and we can still get DL later in the draft. Its not 'neglecting' the DL simply because we don't use the #2 overall pick. Still VERY possible to find very good players. But we have to make sure the #2 overall, is the RIGHT pick.

UnderArmour
04-19-2011, 11:56 AM
Well, I don't like the pick too much but if he can be our Brian Urlacher for years to come, it really wouldn't be that bad. I'd rather have Dareus unless we trade down. If we trade down, Peterson or Miller both sound good but from the looks of things, Miller is almost a lock to go at 3 if we pass on him. And if Dareus is taken 1, we're almost certain to have someone willing to trade up for Newton. It's all so confusing, I just can't wait for the draft.

WARHORSE
04-19-2011, 12:08 PM
Im all for drafting Miller, but only if the next two picks go DT.

As I stated before, Miller brings huge schematic versatility, and imo, is in the mold of the late great Derrick Thomas.

He would bring pressure with Doom that would be unbelievable.

He has a few things that are pointing to NFL success.

He had 17 sacks and led the NCAA as a junior. He followed it up with 10.5 in his senior year, but had an injury he was dealing with the first few games.

3.5 sacks in 2008, as non starter.

He also had 21.5, 17.5 and 7.5 tackles for loss in 2009, 2010 and 2007.

But you can see the production..and not just one year.

This guy can put his hand in the dirt and get after the QB.

If we get a penetrator at DT like Marvin Austin, I can see a pass rushing package that has Miller DE, Dumerville DE, Austin DT and Ayers DT as the front four.

AWESOME.

That too.

rcsodak
04-19-2011, 12:17 PM

As I stated before, Miller brings huge schematic versatility, and imo, is in the mold of the late great Derrick Thomas.

He would bring pressure with Doom that would be unbelievable.

He has a few things that are pointing to NFL success.

He had 17 sacks and led the NCAA as a junior. He followed it up with 10.5 in his senior year, but had an injury he was dealing with the first few games.

But you can see the production..and not just one year.

If we get a penetrator at DT like Marvin Austin, I can see a pass rushing package that has Miller DE, Dumerville DE, Austin DT and Ayers DT as the front four.

AWESOME.

That too.

Ayers at DT?
And miller is a weakside rusher, which is what doom is.
More misdirection, imo.

After dareus/fairley, there is a sizeable dropoff in talent.
If neither is chosen, then they're back to putting 2nd tier players on the dline again.
How's that worked out.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

Lonestar
04-19-2011, 01:08 PM
Ayers at DT?
More misdirection, imo.
If neither is chosen, then they're back to putting 2nd tier players on the dline again.
How's that worked out.

Since when have we had second tier talent on the Dl. Reeves maybe and then Again during the super bowl run but hell that is a long time ago. Ancient history.

horsepig
04-19-2011, 01:16 PM
I love Miller's athleticism but, it all starts up front, it all starts up front, it all.................

TXBRONC
04-19-2011, 03:19 PM
I love Miller's athleticism but, it all starts up front, it all starts up front, it all.................

It all starts up front? :confused:

Benetto
04-19-2011, 05:05 PM
Take Dareus, unless Carolina takes him first...

Von is a good choice, but as my colleague below mentioned, "it all starts up front"

TXBRONC
04-19-2011, 05:36 PM
Take Dareus, unless Carolina takes him first...

Von is a good choice, but as my colleague below mentioned, "it all starts up front"

I totally agree.

Ravage!!!
04-19-2011, 06:33 PM
However, having a LB that pressures the opposing OL to keep constant eyes on you, IS helping our DL. It manipulates THEIR blocking assigments and priorities. So just because the player you choose isn't in a three point stance at the snap, doesn't mean he's not helping your run defense nor your DL.

I'd take an "Al Wilson" or a "Derrick Thomas" type of player over any one of the top DTs in this draft, and feel VERY confident that they helped this defense more.

spikerman
04-19-2011, 06:53 PM
If the Broncos are saying great things about Miller and floating his name out there, more than likely he's not the pick. Of course, they could be trying to entice someone to come up and get him.

Northman
04-19-2011, 07:02 PM
Please Denver, dont be morons.

rcsodak
04-19-2011, 07:06 PM
However, having a LB that pressures the opposing OL to keep constant eyes on you, IS helping our DL. It manipulates THEIR blocking assigments and priorities. So just because the player you choose isn't in a three point stance at the snap, doesn't mean he's not helping your run defense nor your DL.

I'd take an "Al Wilson" or a "Derrick Thomas" type of player over any one of the top DTs in this draft, and feel VERY confident that they helped this defense more.
Put bal/pitt lb's behind denver's dline the past 10yrs, they lose their probowls, elite status. Imo

rcsodak
04-19-2011, 07:08 PM
If the Broncos are saying great things about Miller and floating his name out there, more than likely he's not the pick. Of course, they could be trying to entice someone to come up and get him.

Most likely.

TXBRONC
04-19-2011, 08:31 PM

I think Denver's interest in him is legitimate but I don't think they will take him.

bcbronc
04-20-2011, 12:31 AM

I hate the idea of taking a WILL at #2 when we have such big needs up the gut. But I hate the idea of leaving HOF talent on the board to take pedestrian talent even more.

If the FO sees DT in Miller pretty hard to hate the pick. But like you say, 2nd round then has to address DL.

Austin or not, Miller, Doom and Ayers would offer a ton of versatility to a DC with some creativity. All three are athletic enough to drop into zone and can get to to the QB (hopefully in Ayers and Millers case).

Still like to see us add a DE that is stout against the run to rotate with Doom on 1st down and with enough size and pass rush ability to slide inside for passing downs. If we ended up with something like Miller, Allen Bailey and Phil Taylor with our first three picks, I'd consider it a positive turn of events.

WARHORSE
04-20-2011, 04:37 AM
Ayers at DT?
More misdirection, imo.

How's that worked out.

Why do you say Miller is a weakside rusher?

He played both sides in college and with equal effectiveness and Ive seen more highlights off the strongside.

Miller has a higher grade than Fairley, and Miller can play DE or SLB.

Both second rounders, you go DT.

OR, you take Dareus in round one, and then what in round two? A middle of the road safety or LBer?

This draft is deep at DT and DE, and there will be a very good DT waiting at the top of round two for us.

YOu get an IMPACT player in Miller.

And you can get STOUT DTs in round two, which brings three new players in the front seven.

I cant see that as a bad thing, especially when its going to be in the passing game that Miller/Doom/Ayers and say Marvin Austin or the likes makes us better.

And dont say Ayers moving inside on passing downs wont be a good move. ;)

muse
04-20-2011, 04:40 AM
Ayers at DT?
More misdirection, imo.

Ayers could kick inside on passing downs, he did it a fair bit in college. That frees up the end spot for another speed rushed type.

TXBRONC
04-20-2011, 07:17 AM

He played both sides in college and with equal effectiveness and Ive seen more highlights off the strongside.

OR, you take Dareus in round one, and then what in round two? A middle of the road safety or LBer?

This draft is deep at DT and DE, and there will be a very good DT waiting at the top of round two for us.

And you can get STOUT DTs in round two, which brings three new players in the front seven.

I cant see that as a bad thing, especially when its going to be in the passing game that Miller/Doom/Ayers and say Marvin Austin or the likes makes us better.

If we can get stout in round two with taking Miller in the first then I would image we can do pretty much the samething with taking Dareus or Fairley as well. Taking Miller in the first wont make taking other players in the second round any better.

Juriga72
04-20-2011, 08:38 AM
Put bal/pitt lb's behind denver's dline the past 10yrs, they lose their probowls, elite status. Imo

Not really..... Pittsburgh has it that way also Pro Bowl LB'ers behind at best decent D-linemen.

Ravage!!!
04-20-2011, 10:56 AM
Not really..... Pittsburgh has it that way also Pro Bowl LB'ers behind at best decent D-linemen.

When you look at it, where did Pitt spend most of their 1st round picks, LBs or DL?

GEM
04-20-2011, 11:05 AM
After hearing some of the raves about Miller, I am warming to the idea. It isn't ideal, but I wouldn't be sickened by it. I heard on the radio they were saying he is head and shoulders above Orakpo. I could easily be ok with that if he has the Al Wilson type leadership.

rcsodak
04-20-2011, 11:27 AM
Ayers could kick inside on passing downs, he did it a fair bit in college. That frees up the end spot for another speed rushed type.

Isn't one of the hits against ayers his strength? I thought that was why he can't get past the OT's in time to get to the qb.

rcsodak
04-20-2011, 11:44 AM

War, you have no idea where fairley/miller are rated on the only board that counts-denver's.

And what happens if the dt's are all picked over before #36? Who's to say teams dont start grabbing them at the end of 1/beginning of 2?

They don't have enough pix to get choosey, imo. Build the Dline with 1st rd talent. Start grabbing BPA's. There's always next year....

TXBRONC
04-20-2011, 11:58 AM
After hearing some of the raves about Miller, I am warming to the idea. It isn't ideal, but I wouldn't be sickened by it. I heard on the radio they were saying he is head and shoulders above Orakpo. I could easily be ok with that if he has the Al Wilson type leadership.

I wont whine if we take him but think dealing the interior of defensive line should be the first priority.

rcsodak
04-20-2011, 12:02 PM
I wont whine if we take him but think dealing the interior of defensive line should be the first priority.
Every year, we're pissed after the draft because the DL was again neglected. The last difference maker drafted was TPryce. That's bordering on embarrassing.

GEM
04-20-2011, 12:06 PM

Damn it to hell that we have all these freaking needs. :mad: I am in between that rock and a hard place.....what if the best player on the board is Miller, but because we need DT more we take the other guy and he's alright but nothing spectacular. :mad:

It's hard to have a favorite team and have your favorite side of the ball be defense when the defense has stunk for so ******* long. :mad:

Juriga72
04-20-2011, 12:28 PM
When you look at it, where did Pitt spend most of their 1st round picks, LBs or DL?

Timmons-07 and Hood 09 for the last 10 years....hmmmm so they are even there.

Hampton WAS 10 years ago...Hood was #32

Woodley was a 2 the year they took Timmons

Ravage!!!
04-20-2011, 12:53 PM
Damn it to hell that we have all these freaking needs. :mad: I am in between that rock and a hard place.....what if the best player on the board is Miller, but because we need DT more we take the other guy and he's alright but nothing spectacular. :mad:

It's hard to have a favorite team and have your favorite side of the ball be defense when the defense has stunk for so ******* long. :mad:

Even though we need DL, we just need DEFENSE altogether. Which is why I don't think we MUST take a DL with the #2 pick, but get the best PLAYER. Drafting purely out of need is NOT the best way to go. We need everything, and adding stud players, no matter the position, is more dire... imo. There are plenty of quality talent for DL later in the draft, as we've seen throughout the years and throughout the NFL... taking at DL this high does NOT spell success over any other place in the draft.

I like Dareus, but I don't really have the confidence that he's the quality of player that is really #2 overall material. He's just the best choice for us in THIS draft at THIS position. Unfortunately, we need players at nearly EVERY position.

So I'm like you. Lets get the best PLAYER so that we can start filling these holes.. one at a time.

TXBRONC
04-20-2011, 01:32 PM

It's a risk but then again what if we draft Miller and he's only so so?

rcsodak
04-20-2011, 01:35 PM
It's a risk but then again what if we draft Miller and he's only so so?exactly! How'd that texass lb that was suppose to be better than arapko do last year?

GEM
04-20-2011, 02:16 PM
Either way you go, they are all risks. There is no promise that Dareus, Fairley, Miller or the man on the moon is a player like Suh, Matthews or such. It's all a crap shoot. Especially this year where there really is no defined #1, #2 or #3 like there usually is. Of all the freaking years to get the #2 pick.

TXBRONC
04-20-2011, 02:23 PM
Either way you go, they are all risks. There is no promise that Dareus, Fairley, Miller or the man on the moon is a player like Suh, Matthews or such. It's all a crap shoot. Especially this year where there really is no defined #1, #2 or #3 like there usually is. Of all the freaking years to get the #2 pick.

That's what I was to say.

Sometimes reality really sucks. :tsk:

Juriga72
04-20-2011, 03:32 PM
exactly! How'd that texass lb that was suppose to be better than arapko do last year?

Much better than the guy we drafted INSTEAD of Arakpo or Cushing OR Mathews......
His career stats are those guys good games.

arapaho2
04-20-2011, 07:35 PM
when you build a house...you start with the foundation

when you build a defense you start on the line

PERIOD!!!!

BroncoWave
12-05-2015, 02:48 PM
I dont know what it is, but a lot of the stuff I have watched on Von is not really all that impressive to me...It must be me because EVERYONE, literally everyone thinks this kid is 100% the goods. I just dont get why I do not see it on tape.

Anyway, I think I would rather go Dareus/fairley first and then get dontay moch in the later 2nd or 3rd...Dontay was a DE converting to LB and while not as polished could turn out close to vonny.

Good try, good effort! ;)

HORSEPOWER 56
12-05-2015, 06:21 PM
Wtf Wave? Did hotcarl hack your account? Why do you keep bumping old threads? Are you that bored?

BroncoWave
12-05-2015, 06:55 PM
Wtf Wave? Did hotcarl hack your account? Why do you keep bumping old threads? Are you that bored?

The Brock thread got bumped first and it inspired me. :D

It's fun to go back and see posts from several years ago and see what people thought about certain players then compared to now.

Simple Jaded
12-05-2015, 09:29 PM
They shoulda taken a QB.

underrated29
12-05-2015, 10:04 PM
Good try, good effort! ;)

Haha I remember this. Someone posted a video of Von and SR and I just were not that impressed. Then I did a little research on him and everyone thought he was cash money and they were absolutsly right! And I just wasn't that impressed. MUG had me convinced JJ watt was the guy to trade back up for in the teens

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
12-06-2015, 12:22 AM
I'm really pissed we didn't draft a swing tackle insread of Oz.

Dapper Dan
12-06-2015, 01:12 AM
The Brock thread got bumped first and it inspired me. :D

It's fun to go back and see posts from several years ago and see what people thought about certain players then compared to now.

I was just about to comment and say watch out how many threads you bump. That pisses people off for some reason. Good luck.

TimHippo
12-06-2015, 09:05 PM

It must have been you.

Cugel
12-07-2015, 12:39 AM
I was just about to comment and say watch out how many threads you bump. That pisses people off for some reason. Good luck.

On many sites they will ban people for such serious necromancy.

GEM
12-07-2015, 08:53 AM
Now looking back at Fairley and Dareus...we made the right call. I love Von like a fat kid loves cake. His play, his personality, his place on the team. Nice job, front office! :salute:

D1g1tal j1m
12-07-2015, 11:32 AM
I'm all for drafting Miller, he could be good. I've watched all the tapes from the last few years and he seems to be an ok athlete with a pretty good first step. The only downside is he needs to work on his sack dances, they are pretty robotic...

spikerman
12-07-2015, 07:37 PM
Not so fast. He looks like a bust. Trust me on this, I'm never wrong when it comes to talent evaluation.

TXBRONC
12-08-2015, 04:54 PM
Not so fast. He looks like a bust. Trust me on this, I'm never wrong when it comes to talent evaluation.

Isn't that kind of like trusting everything you read on the internet?

SR
12-08-2015, 08:22 PM
Isn't that kind of like trusting everything you read on the internet?

If you can't trust the Internet, who/what CAN you trust?

BroncoWave
12-08-2015, 08:26 PM
If you can't trust the Internet, who/what CAN you trust?

You just can't trust anyone anymore in Obama's America!

SR
12-08-2015, 09:32 PM
You just can't trust anyone anymore in Obama's America!

What's an "Obama America?"

tomjonesrocks
12-08-2015, 09:55 PM
What's an "Obama America?"

Ask Dzone. He has "No God but Allah" on his rings! Just don't check Snopes or anything when he gives an answer.

SR
12-09-2015, 06:17 AM
Ask Dzone. He has "No God but Allah" on his rings! Just don't check Snopes or anything when he gives an answer.

Well I know what an Obama is, and I know what America is, but I get thrown when the two words are placed next to each other and used. It comes across almost as a foreign language.

tomjonesrocks
12-09-2015, 06:27 PM
Well I know what an Obama is, and I know what America is, but I get thrown when the two words are placed next to each other and used. It comes across almost as a foreign language.

I couldn't agree more - though I wish some of the usual suspects would have taken the bait and explained what it means.

TXBRONC
12-10-2015, 05:34 PM
Taking Miller was the right move as much as not taking that fat slob Lacy was the right move.