PDA

View Full Version : Brandon Marshall has a Dilemma

LRtagger
10-13-2008, 02:32 PM
I know some people expressed some concern during the game (in the gameday thread) about Marshall's ball control.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcwest/0-3-455/Brandon-Marshall-has-a-dilemma.html

Posted by ESPN.com's Bill Williamson

Brandon Marshall is putting himself in a tough spot.

He is sick and tired of fumbling and hurting his team. That is understandable. But he can't take away from his game or he is going to have other problems.

For the second time in as many Denver losses, the outstanding receiver lost a key fumble while fighting for more yardage. Sunday, he lost the ball inside Jacksonville's 10-yard line. The Broncos eventually lost 24-17. He also had a key fumble at Kansas City in Denver's 33-19 loss two weeks ago.

Sunday, Marshall said he has to stop trying to get the extra yardage because it is hurting his team. Slow down, Brandon. You have to rethink this one.

Marshall is perhaps the best receiver in the NFL with the ball in his hands. He is a simply a beast after the catch. He can't get tentative because he fumbled twice.

All Marshall has to do is pay more attention to the ball. He needs better ball security. He doesn't need to stop fighting for yardage. That's what makes Marshall special. The fumbling is a curable nuisance. He'll figure it out.

But Marshall can't stop being Marshall.

honz
10-13-2008, 02:38 PM
High and tight, Brandon!

No way he should stop fighting for that extra yardage, though...that is part of what makes him such a great player. He may just be the best receiver in the league at breaking tackles, making people miss, and turning a 5 yard catch into a 30 yard gain.

TXBRONC
10-13-2008, 02:43 PM
Better technique would help but I don't want him to lose his aggressiveness.

BroncoJoe
10-13-2008, 02:46 PM
Wonder if it has to do with his off-season injury?

Den21vsBal19
10-13-2008, 02:47 PM
He needs to work on his ball security, but he can't start 'thinking' about his game in that way, otherwise he will lose that which makes him special.

Ziggy
10-13-2008, 02:57 PM
He fights for yardage harder than any receiver in the league. Yes, he needs better technique in holding the ball while he does it, but you can't teach heart, and he shows his on nearly every catch.

TXBRONC
10-13-2008, 02:59 PM
Wonder if it has to do with his off-season injury?

I sure that 's possible however, I think it's more a problem of him just not making sure the ball is secured. His fumble yesterday was the result of him not have the ball closer to his body.

TXBRONC
10-13-2008, 03:00 PM
He fights for yardage harder than any receiver in the league. Yes, he needs better technique in holding the ball while he does it, but you can't teach heart, and he shows his on nearly every catch.

Amen to that Ziggy.

OB
10-13-2008, 03:08 PM
Get advice from Tiki Barber - he was Mr. Fumble and went through a rigorous training deal that helped him learn to control the ball better - i heard something about carrying the ball everywhere he went during practice, training etc, and told guys to periodically come up out of the blue and try to smack the ball out of his arms - dont know if this is true or not - just something i heard

But Brandon - chill dude - everyone turns the ball over - where would Elway be if he beat himself up over INT's ;)

Den21vsBal19
10-13-2008, 03:17 PM
Get advice from Tiki Barber - he was Mr. Fumble and went through a rigorous training deal that helped him learn to control the ball better - i heard something about carrying the ball everywhere he went during practice, training etc, and told guys to periodically come up out of the blue and try to smack the ball out of his arms - dont know if this is true or not - just something i heard

But Brandon - chill dude - everyone turns the ball over - where would Elway be if he beat himself up over INT's ;)
I was thinking more of Klingon pain sticks......................but that would work as well ;)

Nomad
10-13-2008, 03:22 PM
No don't want him to lose his aggressiveness but I'd rather lose those 3 extra yds and live to see another down than see a fumble and give the ball to the opponents until he figured out how to secure the ball better. It's a double edged sword!

dogfish
10-13-2008, 03:26 PM
just wrap that rascal. . . .

:laugh:

he needs to start carrying the ball like it's his paycheck. . . .

Nomad
10-13-2008, 03:28 PM

That's what I said in another thread. All these careless fumbles should be fines and then maybe those players will treat the ball more like a bank account.

TXBRONC
10-13-2008, 03:30 PM

You can't crumple up a ball and stick in your hip pocket. Who knows he might have direct despot so he wouldn't have to handle his check anyway. :laugh:

dogfish
10-13-2008, 03:38 PM
You can't crumple up a ball and stick in your hip pocket. Who knows he might have direct despot so he wouldn't have to handle his check anyway. :laugh:

in that case, he needs to start directly depositing the ball in the endzone. . . .

:cool:

TXBRONC
10-13-2008, 03:40 PM
in that case, he needs to start directly depositing the ball in the endzone. . . .

:cool:

Agreed. :lol:

BCJ
10-13-2008, 03:53 PM
Better technique would help but I don't want him to lose his aggressiveness.

if he was looking for that one extra yard yesterday, wrap up the ball with two hands and power through. He wasnt getting much more and maybe BM realized that and just wanted the first down. If that is the case, two hands on ball like a full back and ram it 3 feet. Speaking of fullback, where was ours when it was 4 and one at the 30?

Buff
10-13-2008, 04:59 PM
This isn't a unique dilemma. Hold onto the ******* ball. It's pretty simple actually.

It's the same dilemma every other player who touches the ball in the NFL faces.

Tom Nalen
10-13-2008, 05:18 PM
Marshall should not stop running after the catch...his real dilemma should be when to do it. Just like how Reggie Bush tries to get outside on every play. He needs to realize this. The fumble didn't nearly piss me off as much as the WR screen where he tried to reverse the field and lost 9. That was an important drive when it were 24-17.

Hobe
10-13-2008, 05:38 PM

Barber came to my mind when I read this, too. In an interview I saw, he said he had always been coach to hold the ball against his side or stomach. In the off season he when to a coach (don't know who.) and asked, "how do I stop fumbling?" The coach told him to hold the ball high, against his chest instead of against his waist. When he started holding the ball higher, he stopped fumbling.

I hope Marshall gets the message! I would hate to stop seeing runs like last Sunday!!!

slim
10-13-2008, 09:45 PM
That is why God gave him two hands.

56crash
10-13-2008, 09:50 PM

he carried the ball to low simple as that same goes with Cutler .