View Full Version : Look for tougher Broncos up front

TXBRONC
04-17-2011, 08:12 AM
Klis: Look for tougher Broncos up front
By Mike Klis
The Denver PostMike Klis
covers the NFL. Contact: 303-954-1055 or mklis@denverpost.com
Posted: 04/17/2011 01:00:00 AM MDT

Perhaps a few Broncos players want to beat me up for saying so, but here are the facts: The truest measure of a team's toughness is the running game. And on defense, the Broncos have been a collection of run- stopping pushovers. In the past five seasons, Denver's defense has ranked 31st, 26th, 27th, 30th and 12th against the run.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_17865492

This song and dance has been done before but if nothing else it reinforces the argument for drafting Dareus or Fairley.

BroncoJoe
04-17-2011, 08:45 AM
This song and dance has been done before but if nothing else it reinforces the argument for drafting Dareus or Fairley.

True, but for whatever reason, I feel a lot more confident this year it will be addressed.

Lonestar
04-17-2011, 09:27 AM
" In the past five seasons, Denver's defense has ranked 31st, 26th, 27th, 30th and 12th against the run."

Hmmmmmm. We have sucked for a long time.
Could have had nagata instead of a QB iirc.
Might have made a difference in this area.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

HORSEPOWER 56
04-17-2011, 09:35 AM
" In the past five seasons, Denver's defense has ranked 31st, 26th, 27th, 30th and 12th against the run."

Could've had a lot of guys. When you look back over that span and look at how many of our top 3 rounds worth of draft picks weren't defensive front 7, it just makes you shake your head and it makes perfect sense for the numbers being that bad.

gobroncsnv
04-17-2011, 10:45 AM
Well, I don't want to detract at all from the need to beef up against the run game, as this is a substantial part of our weakness in the standings of late, and exacerbated by a consistently anemic pass rush, allowing B's named Mannning and Roethlisberger as much time as they need to complete 3rd and 20-something passes to gve up key first downs. Even if our offense does improve, you can't win when you lose the time of possesion battle at 20 minutes per half. Granted, we don't have a stellar offense right now, but it flat doesn't matter if you caan't even get them the ball.
One of the better keys to winning some games is to make the other team's punter work more than we do.

Northman
04-17-2011, 11:12 AM
Dont worry Klis, if you made them mad you can just run by them with no problem.

Lonestar
04-17-2011, 11:51 AM
Could've had a lot of guys. When you look back over that span and look at how many of our top 3 rounds worth of draft picks weren't defensive front 7, it just makes you shake your head and it makes perfect sense for the numbers being that bad.

We have Been always taking second and third fiddle taking Players on the LOS swinging for the fence.

Always hitting pop flys or flat striking out.

That is what happens when your not committed to defense believing that all you have to do is out score your opponents and that the almighty offense can do so.

Lonestar
04-17-2011, 11:57 AM
Fwiw the TOP is not 20 minutes per half. perhaps from time to time that happens but foe the most part we lose it by 4 to 6 minutes.

If you break even you have a much better chance of winning if you win it unless their D or ST is scoring points your going to win more often thAn not.

When you allow the other team to run for a bunch of yards per game then your going to lose both TOP and the final score.

spikerman
04-17-2011, 12:20 PM
This is one of the reasons why I think taking a DE at #2 would be a HUGE mistake. Typically, they're not run stoppers. Denver won't be able to make any improvement until they get some quality guys inside.

Northman
04-17-2011, 12:42 PM
We have Been always taking second and third fiddle taking Players on the LOS swinging for the fence.

That is what happens when your not committed to defense believing that all you have to do is out score your opponents and that the almighty offense can do so.

Exactly. I just dont know why McD didnt learn from that. :tsk:

Lonestar
04-17-2011, 01:27 PM
Exactly. I just dont know why McD didnt learn from that. :tsk:

Seem to remember him taking a DE in the first round year one.

But them I may be wrong on that with the other side taken care of his dc might not have asked for anyone. With Reims signed and a folk of youngins already on the roster perhaps Nolan was a happy camper.

With ayers coming on strong and Williams signed and doom on the other side not many folks were unhappy with the state of the DL.

But then again I could be wrong again.

spikerman
04-17-2011, 01:44 PM
With ayers coming on strong...

When did that happen? :confused:

OrangeHoof
04-17-2011, 02:51 PM
The only way Ayers would be coming on strong is if he ate some raw garlic.

dogfish
04-17-2011, 03:05 PM
i've been looking for a decade-- still don't see any results. . . .

dogfish
04-17-2011, 03:07 PM

Could have had terrence cody instead of a QB iirc.

yep, taking thomas and tebow instead of getting some linemen was obviously one of the mistakes that got mcdaniels fired. . . .

Lonestar
04-17-2011, 03:13 PM
yep, taking thomas and tebow instead of getting some linemen was obviously one of the mistakes that got mcdaniels fired. . . .

I do not remember who they could have gotten latter that would have Made an impact considering that doom should have been on the field.

Maybe you can enlighten me.

Not saying that Josh should not have taken a wr and QB. but think they will indeed pan out.

atwater27
04-17-2011, 03:37 PM
Looks like LonesomeDove wants to have his cake and eat it too; capping on Shanny for neglecting our interior defense while ignoring McDaniels' continuation of the same path. Par for the course.

topscribe
04-17-2011, 03:57 PM
This is one of the reasons why I think taking a DE at #2 would be a HUGE mistake. Typically, they're not run stoppers. Denver won't be able to make any improvement until they get some quality guys inside.

Correct. The DE position is not the DT position, and strengthening DE will not
be strengthening DT. DT is the weakest position on the squad. So why would
they take a DE?

That's not fair. Ayers started to come on pretty good toward the end of the
season. To make such a judgment on him for his performance while playing out
of his natural position is not a very good evaluation, IMO . . .

-----

Lonestar
04-17-2011, 05:50 PM
Correct. The DE position is not the DT position, and strengthening DE will not
be strengthening DT. DT is the weakest position on the squad. So why would
they take a DE?
That's not fair. Ayers started to come on pretty good toward the end of the
season. To make such a judgment on him for his performance while playing out
of his natural position is not a very good evaluation, IMO . . .
-----

But anything Josh is bad did you not know. He can do no right.

As for taking a DE better than taking a QB or cb. May make some impact having real DE's opposed to nonlegit 3 down players as we speak.

Lonestar
04-17-2011, 05:51 PM
Do not think I do not want a couple of DTs , but I know they are close If we get a stud DE in the first.

Great DEs make good DTs better and vice versa.

dogfish
04-17-2011, 06:00 PM
As for taking a DE better than taking a QB or cb. Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

especially if the cornerback is short and slow, and we have to trade up for him. . .

man, that's the worst. . .

TXBRONC
04-17-2011, 06:13 PM
But anything Josh is bad did you not know. He can do no right.

As for taking a DE better than taking a QB or cb. May make some impact having real DE's opposed to nonlegit 3 down players as we speak.

This is interesting. IIRC you been using Dumervil's injury as way defending McDaniels inability to win games and how important he was to the defense. Now you're back to calling him non legit. If he's non legit then his absences was in material. You can't have it both ways Jr.

underrated29
04-17-2011, 06:26 PM
Do not think I do not want a couple of DTs but I know they are close I'd we get a stud DE in the first.

Whaaaatt?

TXBRONC
04-17-2011, 06:54 PM
Whaaaatt?

I think he saying he would like to replace Dumervil.

Northman
04-17-2011, 07:18 PM
Seem to remember him taking a DE in the first round year one.

Yes, he took Ayers, reached on Smith, then overall drafted 6 offensive players as opposed to 4 defensive ones. The following year drafted 6 offensive players and just 3 defensive ones. Yea, he really LEARNED there. lmao

But them I may be wrong on that with the other side taken care of his dc might not have asked for anyone.It wasnt Nolan's choice. He wasnt the HC and with McD's ego there is no way in Hades Hell that he could request a player and actually get him.

With Reims signed and a folk of youngins already on the roster perhaps Nolan was a happy camper.Thats a serious reach and the most ridiculous assumption ive ever seen anyone make. Our defense was in SHAMBLES and needed SERIOUS help. No way that Nolan was satisfied with that squad no matter how well he got them to play. For half the year they overachieved before they got exposed and exploited.

With ayers coming on strong and Williams signed and doom on the other side not many folks were unhappy with the state of the DL.Many thought that with Williams it would improve but knew it was never the ultimate answer when it came to stopping the run and eventually it proved to be right. Ayers hasnt proven anything yet. We've seen plenty of guys get pressure on QB's. Sacking them is something entirely different but we will leave that to the allpro midget to handle.

But then again I could be wrong again.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forumsYes, i would place my bet here.

KCL
04-17-2011, 08:17 PM

This is how Vermeil saw things IMO when he was in KC.

KCL
04-17-2011, 08:27 PM

He put one hell of a slam on Charles a couple of season ago..I think that's the same guy....that's what I thought of when I read his name.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
04-17-2011, 08:52 PM
He put one hell of a slam on Charles a couple of season ago..I think that's the same guy....that's what I thought of when I read his name.

Yeah, those WWE moments are hard to forget. :laugh:

Lonestar
04-17-2011, 09:45 PM
This is how Vermeil saw things IMO when he was in KC.

Lots of coaches think that way then ther is the other end on the spectrum thinking the O is there not to get the D in trouble.

I hope we can get somewhere in the middle. Top ten O top 5 D and really good ST.

That would make my day.

Agent of Orange
04-17-2011, 11:23 PM

Or better yet, we didnt have to rely on guys like Jamal Williams, Justin Bannan, or Jarvis Green.

Lonestar
04-18-2011, 01:36 AM
Or better yet, we didnt have to rely on guys like Jamal Williams, Justin Bannan, or Jarvis Green.

You forgot nolans hand picked guy fields.

Ahahahahahahahahahahahaha

dogfish
04-18-2011, 02:13 AM
You forgot nolans hand picked guy fields.

Ahahahahahahahahahahahaha

http://img851.imageshack.us/img851/9236/drevil.jpg (http://img851.imageshack.us/i/drevil.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

KCL
04-18-2011, 06:09 AM
http://img851.imageshack.us/img851/9236/drevil.jpg (http://img851.imageshack.us/i/drevil.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

Dog..there's a thread here for posting your picture..:D