PDA

View Full Version : Needy teams shouldn't wait for second round to draft a QB

Denver Native (Carol)
04-15-2011, 08:41 PM
Listening to at least two team executives and multiple draft analysts, there seems to be a growing expectation of a first-round run on quarterbacks in the 2011 NFL Draft.

Put another way, if a team has interest in selecting a quarterback, it might not be able to wait until the second round to do so.

There is rampant expectation among NFL player-personnel types that multiple trades will be made specifically for teams wanting to move up or down in the first round for a quarterback.

For a team that wants a quarterback, the rule of thumb in this year's draft might very well be: You snooze, you lose.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/09000d5d81f463a4/article/needy-teams-shouldnt-wait-for-second-round-to-draft-a-qb?module=HP_headlines

If this article is accurate, the Broncos could be in a very good position.

RebelRocker
04-15-2011, 10:53 PM
http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/09000d5d81f463a4/article/needy-teams-shouldnt-wait-for-second-round-to-draft-a-qb?module=HP_headlines

If this article is accurate, the Broncos could be in a very good position.

How so? Simply because more defensive players will be on the board when we pick at #36?

I still think we're taking a QB early in this draft.

:beer:

spikerman
04-15-2011, 10:59 PM
A run on QBs early in the draft would be great for the Broncos if they want to trade down. They could pick up a couple of extra draft picks and still get a player they want.

If the Broncos are thinking about a QB that QB is Andrew Luck who won't be available until next year.

Superchop 7
04-15-2011, 11:01 PM
If Elway doesn't get an offer from somebody for our pick......that is a distinct possibility.......it would certainly send a message to people that thought he was bluffing.

But somehow.....I think the 83 draft has already taught them that lesson about what he is made of.

MNPatsFan
04-16-2011, 01:53 PM
The Patriots could be in even better shape with the 17th, 28th and 33rd picks. :D

WARHORSE
04-16-2011, 02:04 PM
The Patriots could be in even better shape with the 17th, 28th and 33rd picks. :D

Very true.

New England could LUCK out if they get a first or two out of trading down in this years draft.....but Ive also heard that the Pats may look at this years draft as the year they move UP, to get a real playmaker like AJ GREEN to help out Brady and that offense.

Imo, Green tacked onto Welker and the two TEs would be a recipe for disaster for the rest of the league. The defense is young, and getting better.

Bullgator
04-16-2011, 02:16 PM
looks like its all coming together for the FO... bravo! IMO the DB have always been looking to trade down now its a matter of how much they will get for it.

total shot in the dark but im thinking later first, a second and a later round maybe. hell maybe more.

but they aint using the 2nd pick to take a qb

MNPatsFan
04-16-2011, 02:21 PM
Very true.

New England could LUCK out if they get a first or two out of trading down in this years draft.....but Ive also heard that the Pats may look at this years draft as the year they move UP, to get a real playmaker like AJ GREEN to help out Brady and that offense.

Imo, Green tacked onto Welker and the two TEs would be a recipe for disaster for the rest of the league. The defense is young, and getting better.I sure can't predict what BB will do and I highly doubt anyone outside the Pats' draft room can either, but I would be extremely surprised if the Patriots trade up and take AJ Green or an offensive skill position. If they trade up, I would expect they would take a d-lineman, o-lineman or outside linebacker. Their greatest needs right now are defensive end/outside linebacker hybrid in the mold of a Willie McGinest, defensive end in the mold of Richard Seymore, pure outside linebacker like Tedi Bruschi, Andre Tippet, or LT (Lawrence Taylor) or an offensive guard/tackle.

I would expect the Patriots to draft RB, WR, developmental QB, etc in the later rounds.

dogfish
04-16-2011, 03:10 PM
For a team that wants a quarterback, the rule of thumb in this year's draft might very well be: You snooze, you lose.

the real rule of thumb for QBs in this draft is that you'd rather poke your thumb into your eye than spend a high pick on most of these dudes. . .

i hope tons of teams make moves for QBs this year, which in many cases will set the franchises back years-- as long as they don't all line up to throw their picks at bill belly. . .

i never can figure out why teams are so eager to do that. . .

speaking of which. . .

I sure can't predict what BB will do and I highly doubt anyone outside the Pats' draft room can either, but I would be extremely surprised if the Patriots trade up and take AJ Green or an offensive skill position. If they trade up, I would expect they would take a d-lineman, o-lineman or outside linebacker. Their greatest needs right now are defensive end/outside linebacker hybrid in the mold of a Willie McGinest, defensive end in the mold of Richard Seymore, pure outside linebacker like Tedi Bruschi, Andre Tippet, or LT (Lawrence Taylor) or an offensive guard/tackle.

I would expect the Patriots to draft RB, WR, developmental QB, etc in the later rounds.

you're correct that they're difficult to predict, but i suspect this year you can pretty much pencil in an end like JJ watt or cameron jordan with your first pick. . .

:tsk:

MNPatsFan
04-16-2011, 03:52 PM
you're correct that they're difficult to predict, but i suspect this year you can pretty much pencil in an end like JJ watt or cameron jordan with your first pick. . .

:tsk:I'm, sure hoping so!!!! That would make me extremely happy.:elefant:

Personally I would prefer Cameron Jordan because I believe he has the higher upside, but JJ Watt is the safer pick of the two. I would be psyched, however, to have either one and will defer to BB to make the pick that makes the most sense for the Patriots.:D

I also think that Cameron Heyward at 28 would be a very good pick, if both Jordan and Watt were to be off the board at 17. I am horrible at picking who will be available at which pick so have given up trying and just merely hope certain players fall to the Patriots.:lol:

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
04-16-2011, 03:54 PM
I'm, sure hoping so!!!! That would make me extremely happy.:elefant:

Personally I would prefer Cameron Jordan because I believe he has the higher upside, but JJ Watt is the safer pick of the two. I would be psyched, however, to have either one and will defer to BB to make the pick that makes the most sense for the Patriots.:D

I also think that Cameron Heyward at 28 would be a very good pick, if both Jordan and Watt were to be off the board at 17. I am horrible at picking who will be available at which pick so have given up trying and just merely hope certain players fall to the Patriots.:lol:

Oh, I don't know if Jordan has more upside. JJ Watt has the wing span of a Golden Eagle. I could see that dude being about 315 in a couple of years and not lose any athleticism. He's a monster.

TXBRONC
04-16-2011, 05:09 PM
You guys will get a kick out of this. I was watching Path to the Draft and were playing a game called logical surprise picks. Michael Lombardi Denver's logical surprise and it went something like this. Lombardi say Denver is in a rebuilding mode and John Elway really wants to put his stamp on this team so my logical surprise pick for the Broncos is Cam Newton.

That's logical? :rofl:

Northman
04-16-2011, 05:12 PM
You guys will get a kick out of this. I was watching Path to the Draft and were playing a game called logical surprise picks. Michael Lombardi Denver's logical surprise and it went something like this. Lombardi say Denver is in a rebuilding mode and John Elway really wants to put his stamp on this team so my logical surprise pick for the Broncos is Cam Newton.

That's logical? :rofl:

WOW.

Holy shit that is bad. :lol::lol:

TXBRONC
04-16-2011, 06:50 PM
WOW.

Holy shit that is bad. :lol::lol:

That's exactly what I thought the moment he said it.

dogfish
04-16-2011, 07:31 PM
he's just being an assclown. . . if he was trying to be serious he'd at least say gabbert. . . the idea that a team with tebow would take a comparable player with infinitely worse intangibles is assinine. . .

lombardi's still sour that we didn't hire him on after his consulting position here, or call him when we had a recent opening. . .

silkamilkamonico
04-16-2011, 10:02 PM
I will be LMAO all day if teams are drafting one of these overhyped QB's in the first round. Arguably the worst QB draft class...ever.

Lonestar
04-17-2011, 02:38 AM
Belichek will trade at least one of those top picks for a couple more picks on day two.

Unless there is Super stud Dl or OL guy.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

Dzone
04-17-2011, 05:01 AM
good article in this weeks SI about Von Miller...makes you wonder what a D with him and Doom would be like.

TXBRONC
04-17-2011, 07:26 AM
he's just being an assclown. . . if he was trying to be serious he'd at least say gabbert. . . the idea that a team with tebow would take a comparable player with infinitely worse intangibles is assinine. . .

lombardi's still sour that we didn't hire him on after his consulting position here, or call him when we had a recent opening. . .

Yeah Gabbert would be more logical surprise. To me the real logical surpises would be to take Quinn or Bowers.

MNPatsFan
04-17-2011, 07:29 AM
Belichek will trade at least one of those top picks for a couple more picks on day two.

Unless there is Super stud Dl or OL guy.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forumsI completely agree that Belichik will trade at least one of 17th, 28th, and 33rd picks. I think, however, that after all his trading is finished with 1st and early 2nd round picks, he will have obtained a first round pick in next year's draft in addition to picks in later rounds of this year's draft.

Lonestar
04-17-2011, 09:41 AM
I completely agree that Belichik will trade at least one of 17th, 28th, and 33rd picks. I think, however, that after all his trading is finished with 1st and early 2nd round picks, he will have obtained a first round pick in next year's draft in addition to picks in later rounds of this year's draft.

He consistently has a boat load of 2s and 3s. Which cost way less than 1s and in most cases are damned near as talented.

He has been the master that I was hoping Denver would become.

Maybe it was all piloi but I suspect bill made him better than he was initially.

Northman
04-17-2011, 11:09 AM
I completely agree that Belichik will trade at least one of 17th, 28th, and 33rd picks. I think, however, that after all his trading is finished with 1st and early 2nd round picks, he will have obtained a first round pick in next year's draft in addition to picks in later rounds of this year's draft.

NE is the masters at the draft presently.

Lonestar
04-17-2011, 12:00 PM
NE is the masters at the draft presently.

Actually they are one of the best along with BAL and Indy. But they rule when it comes to accumulating picks in the 2nd & 3rd rounds.

nevcraw
04-17-2011, 12:50 PM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/hot

clayton and BW each take a side on if denver should draft a QB.

nothing too new here but atleast something broncos related..

silkamilkamonico
04-17-2011, 05:57 PM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/hot

clayton and BW each take a side on if denver should draft a QB.

nothing too new here but atleast something broncos related..

Terrible writeup by Clayton.

I;m sorry, but drafting Jake Locker in the second round would be an absolutely brutal decision. What is one thing he has that Tim Tebow doesn't.

I also like how he says Denver investigating the QB position to draft in the second round is a smart idea, because there really isn't any QB's n this draft with elite potential.

Right, I'm Denver's situation is going to get so much better by wasting a second round nonelite QB in the draft when Tim Tebow is sitting there this year, and quite possibly Andrew Luck next year.