PDA

View Full Version : Denver Broncos' best move might be to deal No. 2 pick

Denver Native (Carol)
04-15-2011, 03:39 PM
Moving down in the NFL Draft is sometimes the best way to move forward.

Teams like the New England Patriots and Philadelphia Eagles have made a habit of trading down, stockpiling picks and creating depth that has helped them remain consistent contenders. The Patriots are sitting pretty in this year’s draft, holding four of the top 60 picks — 17, 28, 33, 60 — despite coming off another playoff season.

Because of the league’s unstable labor situation, we may see fewer trades than usual in this year’s draft (April 28-30). However, here are five teams that could trade down in the first round, looking to add a pick or two later in the draft.

Denver Broncos (No. 2 pick)

Why trading down makes sense: With Kyle Orton, Tim Tebow and Brady Quinn, the Broncos are not as desperate for a quarterback as many teams picking later. If the Panthers don’t pick quarterback Cam Newton at No. 1, perhaps teams like the Bills (No. 3), Bengals (No. 4), Cardinals (No. 5), Titans (No. 8) or Redskins (No. 10) would be interested in swapping picks, offering Denver an enticing package for the chance to pick Newton. If the Broncos stay in the top eight picks, they could still be in position to get one of the draft’s top defensive players like Marcell Dareus, Patrick Peterson, Robert Quinn or Nick Fairley.

rest of article - http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/feed/2011-01/2011-nfl-draft/story/denver-broncos-best-move-might-be-to-deal-no-2-pick

topscribe
04-15-2011, 04:00 PM
Doesn't appear something the Broncos themselves necessarily disagree with.

Trouble is, it's more easily said than done . . .

-----

TXBRONC
04-15-2011, 04:28 PM
That might be what the triumvirate wants to do but right now it doesn't look very likely.

broncofaninfla
04-15-2011, 07:25 PM
Washington is looking to move up. It can happen......

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/04/15/latest-draft-rumor-redskins-trying-like-crazy-to-move-up/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/04/15/latest-draft-rumor-redskins-trying-like-crazy-to-move-up/)

TXBRONC
04-15-2011, 07:33 PM

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/04/15/latest-draft-rumor-redskins-trying-like-crazy-to-move-up/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/04/15/latest-draft-rumor-redskins-trying-like-crazy-to-move-up/)

I really hope if Denver trades down that it's not quite far. I know that sounds weird but I thinks it's important for the Broncos to take one of the two best defensive tackles in the draft.

HORSEPOWER 56
04-16-2011, 05:54 AM

Without being able to trade players, Washington doesn't have the firepower to move up. They don't even have a 3rd or 4th this year. They'd pretty much have to give us their 1st next year and almost their whole draft this year, something I just don't think they'll do for a guy like Gabbert when they could have Locker at 10 without trading up. If they do trade up, it will be for Gabbert.

There are just as many rumors out there that they want to move down from 10 and try to get some picks back.

TXBRONC
04-16-2011, 06:25 AM
Without being able to trade players, Washington doesn't have the firepower to move up. They don't even have a 3rd or 4th this year. They'd pretty much have to give us their 1st next year and almost their whole draft this year, something I just don't think they'll do for a guy like Gabbert when they could have Locker at 10 without trading up. If they do trade up, it will be for Gabbert.

There are just as many rumors out there that they want to move down from 10 and try to get some picks back.

I'm really not all that excited about the prospect of Denver moving down.

SmilinAssasSin27
04-16-2011, 05:55 PM
I wanna move down, but not to 10. I want one of the top 3 Dlinemen.

That said, IF Wash would give up the #10, their 2nd rounder AND their 2012 #1, we'd be dumb to say no.

Lets be logical here. The SURE FIRE early picks IF the pundits are right about the QBs are:
Newton, Gabbert, Miller, Green, Dareus. That leaves 4 names to go BEFORE the 10 spot. It can be reasonally expected that Peterson and Fairley go within those 4...but not a sure thing. We'd be guaranteed one of the next 3 best players. Who does that leave, who would fit some of our holes? Bowers, Quinn, Amukamara, Pouncey, Watt, Jordan, Liuget, Kerrigan, T Smith, A Smith. Bowers injury question is the x-factor. It's a risk, but not as bad of one at #10. Quinn is the no brainer there. We make a deal like this and Quinn is around at 10, we're winning like Charlie Sheen. We then get 2 DTs in round 2. Also, I feel that, although he's not the overall athelete that PP is, Amukamara is better in coverage.

I guess the question is: Would you pass on Dareus (and paying him the #2 overall salary) for one of those names, an additional #2 AND a future #1? The answer kinda should be yes.

Benetto
04-16-2011, 06:26 PM
Something that is said so often, that makes me me wonder how these writers have a college degree...

"Patriots are so good because they have a lot of depth at a lot of positions"..

TWO WORDS : TOM BRADY

Take away Terrific Tom, and they are a mediocre team. Dont give me the Cassel argument either, cause he's good too...

Trade down, miss out on Dareus...Pick in the top ten, draft PP or a QB and watch Dareus Dominate for another team for years. Not that hard to comprehend...

Another thing...Fox said he will "draft best talent available". We had a BS'er as a coach for the past 2 years...We all saw how BSing his team and fan base turned out...I hope we don't have another lying sack of shit for a coach again.

WARHORSE
04-16-2011, 11:42 PM
I wanna move down, but not to 10. I want one of the top 3 Dlinemen.

That said, IF Wash would give up the #10, their 2nd rounder AND their 2012 #1, we'd be dumb to say no.

Lets be logical here. The SURE FIRE early picks IF the pundits are right about the QBs are:
Newton, Gabbert, Miller, Green, Dareus. That leaves 4 names to go BEFORE the 10 spot. It can be reasonally expected that Peterson and Fairley go within those 4...but not a sure thing. We'd be guaranteed one of the next 3 best players. Who does that leave, who would fit some of our holes? Bowers, Quinn, Amukamara, Pouncey, Watt, Jordan, Liuget, Kerrigan, T Smith, A Smith. Bowers injury question is the x-factor. It's a risk, but not as bad of one at #10. Quinn is the no brainer there. We make a deal like this and Quinn is around at 10, we're winning like Charlie Sheen. We then get 2 DTs in round 2. Also, I feel that, although he's not the overall athelete that PP is, Amukamara is better in coverage.

I guess the question is: Would you pass on Dareus (and paying him the #2 overall salary) for one of those names, an additional #2 AND a future #1? The answer kinda should be yes.

Washington would have to give up alot more than that.

A first next year is only worth about 500 pts, depending on the value a team wants to put on it.

That leaves only 800 pts left for Washington to cover.

That would be another first, which would be 2013, and that wouldnt be worth 500, it would be worth half that, and a second, depending if it were this year or next.

Id have to say that it would cost Washington two firsts and two seconds minimum to get us off that pick, especially if theres another club that wants to trade with Denver too that wouldnt require dropping past the premier defensive players.