PDA

View Full Version : Paige: Broncos' new triumvirate has no room for erratum

Traveler
04-15-2011, 08:06 AM
Found this comment concerning Moreno interesting. Wonder what happened?

McDaniels' two drafts can't be evaluated completely, but 13 of 19 picks are on the roster today. I wrote after his first draft that if his first two selections, Moreno and Ayers, didn't become immediate impact players, he wouldn't last beyond two seasons. Neither become an impact player, and McD didn't last two full seasons, for myriad reasons. Most coaches and executives with the organization later regretted both picks — because Moreno turned out to be soft, mediocre, oft-injured and a nuisance in the locker room, and Ayers has been an average linebacker now switching to defensive end.

http://www.denverpost.com/paige/ci_17851494

Dzone
04-15-2011, 08:44 AM
Knowshon Moreno? So he is a d***head in the locker room? Who'd have thought?
Maybe Knowshow ignored Woody for being Woody.

Lonestar
04-15-2011, 08:56 AM
Actually a decent article something is rare for woody.

I have heard nothing about Moreno being a disruption or that anyone has been disappointed with him.
So that is something new.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

claymore
04-15-2011, 09:01 AM
Par for the course.

Buff
04-15-2011, 09:06 AM
You won't catch me defending Moreno. I really hope we find a breakaway threat at RB for next year.

Lonestar
04-15-2011, 09:35 AM
I'd rather have a grinder that takes time off the clock. Best dfense is a great offense that does not allow the other team to be on the field.

Give me a 225+ RB any day over a 180-210'guy.

Lonestar
04-15-2011, 09:38 AM
Let me add rather than striking fast, taking lots plays to wear down the front seven. Then everything works better in the second half especially at mile high.

Buff
04-15-2011, 09:41 AM
I'd rather have a grinder that takes time off the clock. Best dfense is a great offense that does not allow the other team to be on the field.

Give me a 225+ RB any day over a 180-210'guy.

I think you need both nowadays... But you've gotta have a speed threat. It's a must have. Knowshon is not that guy.

muse
04-15-2011, 09:45 AM
First time I've heard of Moreno being a locker room disruption. Sure, he held out once, but as far as I've heard, he's well liked by his teammates. Woody might be reaching on this one.

SOCALORADO.
04-15-2011, 10:30 AM
Par for the course.

I can vaguely remember discussing with you knowshow NOT being starter material and a complete reach, and then being attacked like crazy for even suggesting it.
Hes slow, no vision, gets injured getting off the couch and just not that good. The faster DEN brings in a real full time RB, the better.

Ravage!!!
04-15-2011, 10:44 AM
I have been pretty hard on Moreno since he's started in Denver, but I'm going to be honest and was MUCH more impressed with him the last few games of the season last year.

The one thing I DO like about him, and it was something he got a lot of crap for on the boards, is that he doesn't get down. He keeps his head up no matter what the score is and appears to me to give it 100% effort no matter what the situation. That kind of determination spreads, and is what can make the difference in comebacks when things aren't going well.

As much as I've been down on the guy, and don't think he's a break-away threat at all, I like what I saw and like his effort.

Buff
04-15-2011, 10:52 AM
I have been pretty hard on Moreno since he's started in Denver, but I'm going to be honest and was MUCH more impressed with him the last few games of the season last year.

The one thing I DO like about him, and it was something he got a lot of crap for on the boards, is that he doesn't get down. He keeps his head up no matter what the score is and appears to me to give it 100% effort no matter what the situation. That kind of determination spreads, and is what can make the difference in comebacks when things aren't going well.

As much as I've been down on the guy, and don't think he's a break-away threat at all, I like what I saw and like his effort.

I pretty much agree.

I think everyone would be ok with his production if we took him at the end of the 2nd or beginning of the 3rd. He's not a horrible back. He just hasn't shown top half of the first round ability.

claymore
04-15-2011, 11:26 AM
I can vaguely remember discussing with you knowshow NOT being starter material and a complete reach, and then being attacked like crazy for even suggesting it.
Hes slow, no vision, gets injured getting off the couch and just not that good. The faster DEN brings in a real full time RB, the better.

I had to have something to cling too. :(

LordTrychon
04-15-2011, 11:55 AM

Well, if you're trying to tank to get Luck... that could quickly become a nuisance in the locker room.

Thanks for solving the mystery, Rav! :salute:

claymore
04-15-2011, 11:58 AM
I think alot of players will look better since we have a real coach now, and the real cancer (McDaniels) is gone.

Dzone
04-15-2011, 02:05 PM
So far, the only Mcdaniels draft choice who is any good is Tebow.:D

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
04-15-2011, 02:11 PM

I also think Moreno is a very underrated receiver out of the backfield. He averaged over 10 yards per reception last year. He had some very electric plays last year catching the ball out of the backfield.

underrated29
04-15-2011, 02:11 PM
I cant believe that knowshon is a disruption in the LR....He is the guy who is always trying to fire up his team. A good person who is low key. He was at lodos when he first got drafted and he was super chill.....I think someone is reaching here.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
04-15-2011, 02:17 PM
I cant believe that knowshon is a disruption in the LR....He is the guy who is always trying to fire up his team. A good person who is low key. He was at lodos when he first got drafted and he was super chill.....I think someone is reaching here.

That was my first impression.

Maybe he's disruptive because he speaks up when he sees guys layin' down during games? :lol:

chazoe60
04-15-2011, 02:29 PM
That was my first impression.

Maybe he's disruptive because he speaks up when he sees guys layin' down during games? :lol:

Orton must despise him then.

I keed, I keed. :laugh:

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
04-15-2011, 02:32 PM
Orton must despise him then.

I keed, I keed. :laugh:

Actually, that incident at the end of the Oakland game when Knowson waved his hands in frustration at Orton when Orton audibled out of a running play to passing play on the goal line. This was on the heels of Knowshon having a very good series......Orton's pass fell complete, and a lot of us watching were left wondering if there would be some issues in the locker room after that little incident.

topscribe
04-15-2011, 02:33 PM
I'm going to have to hear from more than just Woody to get at any truth. That
is because I have read his stuff over the years.

Meanwhile, I go by what I see on the field. I saw Ayers playing out of position,
so the jury is still out on him. The issue has not been decided, as Woody seems
to imply, and the FO has indicated such.

I have seen some spectacular moments from Moreno. If he can stay healthy, I
believe he will be a very good RB -- that is, IF he can stay healthy, which he
has not demonstrated so far.

Regarding the locker room, I have not frequented it, obviously, so I cannot
comment. But I still need more confirmation than just Woody's writing.

-----

bcbronc
04-15-2011, 02:38 PM
Moreno needs to stay healthy and to run behind an OL that has had a chance to develop some chemistry, neither of which he's done yet in his career. Given those two things, imo he can be a very effective between the tackles runner. I really disagree with people complaining about his vision.

We do need a compliment or two to go with him, a true power back and a blazer would round out our backfield, but I'm comfortable giving Moreno the 1a going into next season.

FanInAZ
04-15-2011, 03:31 PM
I assume that this Woody is the same one who comes across as not having both ores in the water on "Around the Horn". The one who might be right about 10% of everything he says? He can be entertaining to watch, but I don't find him to be all that informative all that often.

spikerman
04-15-2011, 05:09 PM
I actually like Woody, but I have to vehemently disagree with him here. Ayers has a ways to go to improve to "average".

Dean
04-15-2011, 05:38 PM
Moreno needs to stay healthy and to run behind an OL that has had a chance to develop some chemistry, neither of which he's done yet in his career. Given those two things, imo he can be a very effective between the tackles runner. I really disagree with people complaining about his vision.

We do need a compliment or two to go with him, a true power back and a blazer would round out our backfield, but I'm comfortable giving Moreno the 1a going into next season.

Buckhalter seems to disagree with you while not outright criticizing Moreno.

http://www.nfltouchdown.com/exclusive-nfltouchdowncom%E2%80%99s-interview-with-denver-broncos-running-back-correll-buckhalter/

When asked about competing with Knowshon Moreno for the starting running back position in 2009, he spoke about it more as a team effort than a grudge match.

“That’s my guy, that’s my buddy. I talk to him during the season and I try to help him in any way possible.

“I always tell him, ‘If you want to be around the league a while you have to handle your things.’ He listens to me. And I know that he’s not one of those kids that has a hard head or a big head.

“I told him he can be a great back in this league but it’s going to take you a couple years to really get a feel for reads in the NFL and to be patient and take your time.”

“Me and Knowshon actually had different packages. When we were down on the goal line that was mainly him. Knowshon he really fits that. But at the same time it’s a learning process. He just needs to get all the reads down, it’s a part of the game.

“He’s a strong runner but he’s young and was missing reads and stuff but he will be better this year.”

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
04-15-2011, 05:46 PM

http://www.nfltouchdown.com/exclusive-nfltouchdowncom%E2%80%99s-interview-with-denver-broncos-running-back-correll-buckhalter/

I'm not really sure what you're getting at here...

Aside from the fact that the article is a year old, he speaks fairly highly of Moreno even suggesting he can be a great back.

Dean
04-15-2011, 05:55 PM
I really disagree with people complaining about his vision.

A year ago or not Buckhalter was speaking of Moreno missing reads. That is his on field vision. Buckhalter was not throwing Moreno under the bus but he was saying that there was a problem.

This last year I thought Moreno was improved but he still missed openings and did run into his blocker on occasion.

As to what he will do this year, I have no idea. I am hoping for the best.

topscribe
04-15-2011, 07:25 PM

Didn't seem Bucky was down on Moreno. He essentially referred to him as having
some learning to do, is all.

Terrell Davis also commented on Moreno, saying he expected Moreno to become
a great back . . .

-----

nevcraw
04-15-2011, 08:00 PM
I have been tough on Moreno too.. He is too big for scat backing and a little too soft when hitting the middle. Just not impressed as of yet & don't think he is a 3 down back.

it's too bad as I had really high hopes for him coming out of UGA since all my coworkers are UGA fan's I had i heard how awesome he was..

I'd like to see then use a 2nd on a grinder.. too bad we already had one with only a 6th given up..

Superchop 7
04-15-2011, 11:37 PM
Meanwhile....in D.C.