PDA

View Full Version : Would you use an Iphone or Android app for mobile access to BroncosForums? (poll - no registration to vote)

Tned
04-14-2011, 07:24 AM
Ok, I'm trying to judge how much demand there will be for BroncosForums Iphone and Android specific apps. These apps would be created by vBulletin, but then customized for BroncosForums. Also, there will likely be a Windows Phone 7 version coming in the future.

First, a couple videos to give you an idea of what the app would do and then some more comments.

General overview of Iphone app (Android should be very similar)

-ngT6F-zqgI

More zoomed in view and showing how to reply to a post (including adding an image)

X3HbA39H-Wo

There are a few challenges with doing this, mostly due to Apple being Apple, but I wanted to judge demand before going much farther with it.

LordTrychon
04-14-2011, 07:34 AM
In a year or two, I hope I would. :heh:

edit: I would like to point out that :heh: has completely different meaning here than mania. I meant it more in that way...

TXBRONC
04-14-2011, 07:36 AM
Sure if I had one.

jhns
04-14-2011, 08:32 AM
I voted no. I have an android and never even use the mobile site that you have setup. Websites work perfectly as is.

Luckyshot
04-14-2011, 08:37 AM
Has Vbulletin release a pricing structure? Tapatalk is free to add your forum as a content owner. The app itself come with two verions. A free limited version or 2.99 full featured version.

http://www.tapatalk.com/

I can easily view your forum right now off my iphone and I like the fact you do not force a mobile version like the broncomania forums. They do not even have an option to disable the mobile mode so you have to use trick in order not to deal with that.

My dev android is dead atm, so but I am sure I can view this website just as clearly on that too.

If Vbulletin was including the app as part of their current costs I would do it anyways but I have a feeling that for the app Vbulletin will raise their licensing fees another 100 dollars for every forum owner who wants the app. Or they will just raise it a 100 dollars and include the app anyways.

Tned
04-14-2011, 08:57 AM
Has Vbulletin release a pricing structure? Tapatalk is free to add your forum as a content owner. The app itself come with two verions. A free limited version or 2.99 full featured version.

I can easily view your forum right now off my iphone and I like the fact you do not force a mobile version like the broncomania forums. They do not even have an option to disable the mobile mode so you have to use trick in order not to deal with that.

My dev android is dead atm, so but I am sure I can view this website just as clearly on that too.

If Vbulletin was including the app as part of their current costs I would do it anyways but I have a feeling that for the app Vbulletin will raise their licensing fees another 100 dollars for every forum owner who wants the app. Or they will just raise it a 100 dollars and include the app anyways.

Yes, vBulletin is going to charge. Originally they said it would be $299 for the mobile suite (the two apps, plus future apps like Windows Phone that they make), and then $99 a year. This is in addition to the normal vB license costs. They were doing an intro price of $199, then the $99 a year. However, besides that cost, Apple denied them the right to publish individual forum apps (BroncosForums, HowardForums, etc.) under their developer account, so now that means that I would also have to have an Apple developer account ($99 a year) and android developer account (I think only a $25 setup, and then no annual cost).

So, based on what I know now, it will be an ongoing cost of $200 a year for the mobile apps, unless vBulletin can cut a deal with Apple.

As to Tapatalk. I have hesitated up to this point because there have been a couple high profile forums that were hacked and the reports were that it was from the Tapatalk server plugin. This is always a problem/concern when using 3rd party vBulletin add ons. It's even more of a concern when that app provides login capabilities, including mod and admin logins.

Going free with Tabatalk is very tempting, just not sure it's worth the risk.

Luckyshot
04-14-2011, 09:01 AM
Do you have a mac, cause without a mac, you can not publish content.

Lonestar
04-14-2011, 09:06 AM
Think it would be the better option.

Will it make my keyboard bigger.

Just kidding.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

NightTrainLayne
04-14-2011, 09:08 AM
I might use it if you had it Tned, but the site works well now as is on my Android, so it's not a pressing concern. I did not answer the poll because of this wishy-washy answer.

Tned
04-14-2011, 09:15 AM
Do you have a mac, cause without a mac, you can not publish content.

I have access to Macs at work, which I would use to compile (after branding it) and publish.

Luckyshot
04-14-2011, 09:24 AM
The only reason why I would see doing an app is if people would use it and if you can have it setup (maybe add support) to help cover the costs of the site.

My concern for you is the name of the forums and how it would lead to the name of the app.

Orangemane for example would not have this issue because even though it discusses denver broncos, the word broncos is not in the name.

Even though broncos is a generic term itself, I could see apple pulling down the app after some lawyer from the NFL says that using the name broncos and the material within the forum is technically infringing on their trademark.

Might seem farfetch but I see devs bitching all the time about reasons like this is why their app got pulled.

I would not think the NFL would sue you or anything like that, but when it comes to the app store they may go after the name of the app itself since it is football related to predatory defend their turf.

And yes apple would pull it even if you didn't infringe on their trademark because of where the request came from.

Tned
04-14-2011, 09:40 AM
The only reason why I would see doing an app is if people would use it and if you can have it setup (maybe add support) to help cover the costs of the site.

My concern for you is the name of the forums and how it would lead to the name of the app.

Orangemane for example would not have this issue because even though it discusses denver broncos, the word broncos is not in the name.

Even though broncos is a generic term itself, I could see apple pulling down the app after some lawyer from the NFL says that using the name broncos and the material within the forum is technically infringing on their trademark.

Might seem farfetch but I see devs bitching all the time about reasons like this is why their app got pulled.

I would not think the NFL would sue you or anything like that, but when it comes to the app store they may go after the name of the app itself since it is football related to predatory defend their turf.

And yes apple would pull it even if you didn't infringe on their trademark because of where the request came from.

That's a good point and could be an issue. Technically, the term BroncosForums falls under trademark nominative use and is fine, because it describes the function of the site without making any allusions to being part of the Denver Broncos. That said, the NFL is one of the most aggressive defenders of trademarks that exists.

Anyone can sue for anything (and the NFL has deep pockets), but based on court precedent, the name BroncosForums on the app, with a comment in the description of being an unofficial fan forum with no ties to the Denver Broncos or the NFL, 'should' be fine and considered nominative use.

arapaho2
04-14-2011, 10:14 AM
i can use the site without issue on my droid as it is

jhildebrand
04-14-2011, 11:20 AM
I might use it if you had it Tned, but the site works well now as is on my Android, so it's not a pressing concern. I did not answer the poll because of this wishy-washy answer.

i agree with NTL. I often post from my phone just using the normal browser i.e. not the mobile site, and it works just fine!

D1g1tal j1m
04-14-2011, 01:06 PM
I don't really see a pressing need right now for an app. Maybe in a few years when the world of mobile devices and integration becomes more streamlined and less burdensome.

Luckyshot
04-14-2011, 03:18 PM
I don't really see a pressing need right now for an app. Maybe in a few years when the world of mobile devices and integration becomes more streamlined and less burdensome.

There is not really more streamlined in the way of development, costs really are not going to change by apple or google. And they are much more reasonable than Blackberry. Having to pay 299 and only publish 10 apps is outrageous and is what RIM does for example.

Actually the market is already there and its huge. The earlier he gets in the better. I can see reasons for doing this. I am sure additional add revenue would help him support this site. I do not know and I forget to ask if Vbulletin mobile app supports ad networks for revenue.

I do not know what his bandwidth costs are or what traffic is like on this server, but I do know this. Even if he had one of those "unlimited bandwidth plans", they are riddle with exceptions in the ToS. Too much cpu usage etc would push him into much higher plans or some companies will force you to move hosts.

Nor am I suggesting that he is going to make substantial money but from personal experience I know every dollar helps. There are some app developers whose are happy with apps that make them enough a month to pay for a car payment.

I just do not like Vbulletin because of their pricing practices which is why I brought up those earlier questions. If he had an apple account and an RSS feed for people who just like reading, he could use a code generator website that would make an app for him for the iphone without having to pay a single penny.

Also RSS feed parsing is not that hard, not compared to the bigger things out there, it all depends how much effort wants to put into learning this.

I like to ramble too much but a lot of this is from my own personal experience since I am highly involved in the mobile platform.

SR
04-14-2011, 04:30 PM
I would, but I also use tapatalk for iPhone. Most VB sites are registered with tapatalk and it makes posting super easy from phones.

Ravage!!!
04-14-2011, 04:40 PM
I'm not sure how much feedback you are looking for, but I would absolutely download the app (even if you charged a small amount for the app) in order to have it for your forums.

That being said, If there isn't one, I'm not going to 'wish' you did. It would be a fantastic addition, but not one I feel is a 'must'.

Luckyshot
04-14-2011, 05:07 PM
I'm not sure how much feedback you are looking for, but I would absolutely download the app (even if you charged a small amount for the app) in order to have it for your forums.

That being said, If there isn't one, I'm not going to 'wish' you did. It would be a fantastic addition, but not one I feel is a 'must'.

Honestly he probably make more money from small ad revenue than charging a one time fee. Repeat viewers would generate more in the long run.

Tned
04-14-2011, 05:18 PM
On the revenue side, i'm assuming none. Our group isn't so big that charging for apps would amount to much revenue to cover costs. If the mobile ad integration doesn't compromise the experience too much, I could do that, otherwise I would just eat the cost.

Luckyshot
04-14-2011, 05:26 PM
On the revenue side, i'm assuming none. Our group isn't so big that charging for apps would amount to much revenue to cover costs. If the mobile ad integration doesn't compromise the experience too much, I could do that, otherwise I would just eat the cost.

Its a forum and I would expect some kind of advertising.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79nmbkbT1kI

About 25 secs in you can see what they look like. Use iads is for the iphone app because its the highest paying ad network and ran by apple the money comes in quicker. On android you can rotate 4 different companies using adwhirl to try to maximize your revenue stream. The problem is the ads do not pay as well, or sometimes a lot slower.

As you can see by the ad placement you really dont lose much of an experience.

SR
04-15-2011, 07:09 PM

This. Tapatalk is pretty awesome. It's well worth the $2.99 if there is a message board or two that you frequent.

Crush05
04-15-2011, 08:04 PM
I would love to be able to communicate via my droid!!!

Day1BroncoFan
04-15-2011, 11:55 PM
I would use it providing it has most the functionality the regular site has.

guitarj
04-16-2011, 12:16 AM
I'm with ravage on this. If your interested in growing this community, I would think this would be the way to go, but I'm hardly an expert on these things.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

DallasChief
08-19-2011, 05:28 PM

Any chance of adding Tapatalk?

tia

Reidman
08-19-2011, 06:57 PM
Any chance of adding Tapatalk?

tia

Tned stated in another thread that there were security risks with Tapatalk. I am in favor for anything at this point. I use an iPhone app for my homebrew forum and it is a 1000X better than using mobile browser and pinch and zoom for every other screen.

I'm hoping he can get an iPhone app pushed through soon but seeing as Apple is the slowest company on earth to review and approve stuff it could be a while.

Tned
08-21-2011, 10:31 PM
Things have been so crazy this spring/summer with work travel, that I haven't worked on this. I resubmitted my developer account application today, and will get an Iphone app out as soon as I can.

Reidman
08-22-2011, 04:34 AM
Things have been so crazy this spring/summer with work travel, that I haven't worked on this. I resubmitted my developer account application today, and will get an Iphone app out as soon as I can.

Thanks for your efforts T!!

Tned
09-01-2011, 02:40 PM
Just giving an Iphone update. I haven't dropped this. I resubmitted my Apple Developers license over a week ago. They wouldn't take my first one because I tried to do it in the name of the site, BroncosForums.com.

Anyway, they asked for some additional docs, which I faxed them last week. They emailed me that they had received them, and would contact me soon, but nothing yet.

Once I get the Apple developer license, and send the bums their $99, then I have to actually get it compiled. I've attempted to make an Mac virtual machine (known as a hackintosh), because I have no desire to buy a Mac solely for the purpose of compiling the BF mobile app. If that doesn't work, I have some Apples at work that I can use.

I'll post further updates in here once I know more.

Northman
09-01-2011, 06:07 PM
Considering i just upgraded to an Android i would say yes. Then i can **** up my spelling and blame the phone all the time too.

BroncoTech
09-01-2011, 06:12 PM
It sucks when you make a nice iphone app and it can't get licensed. Teaming that up with VB gouging you every time you turn around I wouldn't feel comfortable going into a long term agreement with VB and Apple.

I wrote an API that uses the Joomla ACL to log in via iphone, and it's not that hard. VB should just provide the API so people can make their own apps.

At least you can march on fearlessly making the Android app. And you should pursue it. These apps are the future and you can make advertisements in the apps and product placements and make the apps free.

Day1BroncoFan
09-01-2011, 07:01 PM
Great!

CrazyHorse
09-01-2011, 09:03 PM
What about Symbian or Windows phone?

Tned
09-01-2011, 09:18 PM
What about Symbian or Windows phone?

With the direction Symbian is going, I don't see vBulletin working on a symbian app. With Windows phone, I would say it's a toss up. MS has almost written off Windows Phone 7 and Windows Phone 8 is supposed to put them back in the game, but that's what they promised with 7.

So, hard to say on either.

CrazyHorse
09-02-2011, 12:33 AM
Thanks I was just wondering since the next phone I was going to buy is going to be a Nokia, although at the moment I have an iPhone :(.

Tned
09-08-2011, 02:51 PM
Ok, I just got a call from Apple today, and my developer account has been approved. Just need to pay them their $99 bucks and the account is a go.

It will be early next week before I can get the Iphone app compiled (working all weekend) and then the approval process on the app typically takes anywhere from 2-6 weeks. So, best case, we are probably looking around Oct. 1 for an Iphone app on Itunes.

Slick
09-08-2011, 02:54 PM
you racist against blackberry's tned?

Tned
09-08-2011, 03:00 PM
you racist against blackberry's tned?

RIM don't have much 'motion' left...

Slick
09-08-2011, 03:03 PM
does that mean "your blackberry is outdated slick, you need to upgrade?"

Tned
09-08-2011, 04:00 PM
does that mean "your blackberry is outdated slick, you need to upgrade?"

If you were north of the border, that's what I would say...

Reidman
09-09-2011, 08:40 PM
Ok, I just got a call from Apple today, and my developer account has been approved. Just need to pay them their $99 bucks and the account is a go.

It will be early next week before I can get the Iphone app compiled (working all weekend) and then the approval process on the app typically takes anywhere from 2-6 weeks. So, best case, we are probably looking around Oct. 1 for an Iphone app on Itunes.

Awesome! Thanks for this T!

pastypoi19
09-09-2011, 08:43 PM
Yes please

Reidman
09-09-2011, 09:05 PM
Yes please

I think there is already an android app...Check the market..

Tned
09-12-2011, 02:41 AM
I think there is already an android app...Check the market..

Yes, if you search for Broncos Forums in the android app, you will find a free android app.

Day1BroncoFan
09-13-2011, 04:35 AM
Cool! and just before I go back to CO for a visit in Nov.

Tned
09-13-2011, 07:51 PM
Cool! and just before I go back to CO for a visit in Nov.

Getting closer. I should have it submitted to Apple tomorrow.

I'm downloading Xcode, their development environment right now. It's downloading very slowly, but hopefully, I'll be able to compile the Iphone app in the morning and submit it for approval by Apple.

I've done all the other work to get the app ready, so I believe this is the last step.

Luckyshot
09-13-2011, 11:23 PM
Getting closer. I should have it submitted to Apple tomorrow.

I'm downloading Xcode, their development environment right now. It's downloading very slowly, but hopefully, I'll be able to compile the Iphone app in the morning and submit it for approval by Apple.

I've done all the other work to get the app ready, so I believe this is the last step.

Last few apps have average about 7 days approval time.

BTW guys unless he is getting 1000s of views on Iads, I suggest about once or twice a week you click on an ad. It will give him about 15 cents of revenue per click, do not over do it because it may look like he is trying to manipulate things and get his dev account in trouble/banned. (Like if you want to be really helpful once a day would be nice for him without causing problems.)

Yes it is not much money but with enough clicks rolling in it could turn around and help support the cost of bandwidth.