PDA

View Full Version : Sources: Mediation to be set this week

Denver Native (Carol)
04-10-2011, 09:56 PM
Judge Susan Richard Nelson told the NFL and NFL players that she will impose forced mediation on them early this week, sources familiar with the situation told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

The league had wanted more mediation in Washington D.C., while federal mediator George Cohen and the NFL Players' Association wanted mediation in Minnesota.

Judge Nelson will decide what she feels is best and announce her decision early this week.

Judge Nelson had a one-hour conference call Friday with both sides and said she would use the weekend to figure out a solution, a source told ESPN's John Clayton.

rest of article - http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6324392

Denver Native (Carol)
04-11-2011, 12:31 PM
Judge Susan Richard Nelson told the NFL and NFL players that she will impose forced mediation on them early this week, sources familiar with the situation told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

rest of article - http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6324392

Denver Native (Carol)
04-11-2011, 12:35 PM
U.S. District Court Judge Susan Nelson on Monday granted the motion by the Brady class to add NFL Players Association executive director DeMaurice Smith to the players' counsel, and consolidated the Brady et al v. the National Football League et al and Eller et al v. National Football League et al cases.

Adding Smith, who practices law in Washington, D.C., to the legal team allows him to participate in any and all mediation that might take place under Nelson's supervision in St. Paul, Minn. Lawyers who practice in a different state must file for approval through the court.

rest of article - http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81f31c00/article/nelson-grants-motion-to-add-smith-to-players-counsel?mod

Denver Native (Carol)
04-11-2011, 02:53 PM
A Federal District Court Judge Monday ordered the NFL and the NFL players association to court-supervised mediation beginning Thursday in Minneapolis, Minn. Judge Susan Nelson, who is presiding over Brady et al v. National Football League et al, the players’ anti-trust suit against the NFL, issued the mediation order Monday afternoon. Judge Nelson has appointed Chief Magistrate Judge Arthur Boylan to serve as mediator, and ordered formal mediation to begin in Boylan’s courtroom Thursday morning.

Nelson has ordered that both sides file briefs by 5 p.m. CT Monday. She will meet in person with the Brady class Tuesday in Minneapolis at 9 a.m., and with the NFL on Wednesday at 9 a.m.

full article - http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81f3289f/article/judge-orders-nfl-players-to-try-mediation-again-in-minnesota?module=breaking_news

BigSarge87
04-11-2011, 03:31 PM
rest of article - http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81f31c00/article/nelson-grants-motion-to-add-smith-to-players-counsel?mod

Why force mediation and then allow someone to be involved that seems to be completely against any type of compromise whatsoever????

KCL
04-11-2011, 03:34 PM
What difference does it matter where it's done? Just get on it and get this resolved.

BroncoStud
04-11-2011, 04:01 PM
I have found that all of this has lessened my interest in the NFL quite a bit already. I really don't care about the draft, free agency, much of anything to do with it for some reason.

The annoyance I have over the greed and lack of logic over this topic is hard to get past.

I left MLB in 1994 and have not watched a single inning of play since, nor will I EVER. I really hope the NFL doesn't do that to me as well. I spend a lot of money going to NFL games every year, hopefully there are a lot more like me that will stick it to the NFL if the season is jeopardized or even delayed.

Don't give me a season in which there have been no camps, late free agency, a screwed up draft, any of that nonsense. Get a deal done BEFORE this draft, go into summer as usual, and then we're good. If not the NFL can go to hell for all I care.

Denver Native (Carol)
04-11-2011, 04:17 PM
What difference does it matter where it's done? Just get on it and get this resolved.

Think I read somewhere that the judges in Minnesota favor the players' position.

TXBRONC
04-11-2011, 04:21 PM
I hope they get this crapola figured out this time around.

Denver Native (Carol)
04-11-2011, 04:26 PM
Why force mediation and then allow someone to be involved that seems to be completely against any type of compromise whatsoever????

If you are referring to Smith, I thought the same thing, but maybe this judge wants him there to hear how ridiculous he is in his demands, and rip into him - we can only hope that is why.

TXBRONC
04-11-2011, 04:29 PM
If you are referring to Smith, I thought the same thing, but maybe this judge wants him there to hear how ridiculous he is in his demands, and rip into him - we can only hope that is why.

They should fortunate that she force arbitration on them.

WARHORSE
04-11-2011, 05:08 PM
Judge Nelson is player slanted.

Pretty pitiful.

UnderArmour
04-11-2011, 05:25 PM

Pretty pitiful.

Who cares? I just want football. With that said, this is NOT a strike; this is a LOCKOUT. The owners are preventing the players from coming to work not the other way around. No matter what any "idiot" player says, this fact does not go away. The lockout needs to end either by a court order or by a new deal so we can watch football this year.

Denver Native (Carol)
04-11-2011, 05:49 PM

Pretty pitiful.

Or maybe not - guess I heard wrong before.

The preliminary hearing on the injunction to block the lockout has been scheduled for April 6, and the NFL owners have chalked up a victory with Monday's developments.

Judge Susan Richard Nelson will hear the case, not Judge David Doty, who has historically sided with the players in similar cases. Last week, when everyone assumed Doty would be on the case, the injunction was viewed merely as a formality that would be ruled in the players' favor.

Now, there is a whole lot less certainty. In fact, sources have told NESN.com the players' side is a lot more nervous about the fate of the injunction because their ally, Doty, won't be on the case. Because this is a preliminary hearing, things could still change, but for the time being, the players are aware that their court victory is nowhere near as certain.

rest of article - http://www.nesn.com/2011/03/sources-nfl-players-nervous-about-hearing-with-judge-susan-richard-nelson-not-david-doty-in-charge.html

Ravage!!!
04-11-2011, 06:03 PM
Who cares? I just want football. With that said, this is NOT a strike; this is a LOCKOUT. The owners are preventing the players from coming to work not the other way around. No matter what any "idiot" player says, this fact does not go away. The lockout needs to end either by a court order or by a new deal so we can watch football this year.

Uhmmm.... yeah. So the players are the ones that are being "kept out and forced out" by the owners.... really? Not from my perspective.

UnderArmour
04-11-2011, 06:50 PM
Uhmmm.... yeah. So the players are the ones that are being "kept out and forced out" by the owners.... really? Not from my perspective.

No matter what perspective you are looking at it from it is a fact that the owners are locking out players.

WARHORSE
04-11-2011, 08:18 PM

I guess you could look at it that way.

Other "idiots" could look at it this way:

What is best for the longterm health of the league?

If you look at Greenbays books, the only team that is publically owned, its obviously something that needs to be addressed.

Think the owners just want to stop football? I think theyre too smart for that.

The owners have concerns. If everything on their end is going well, I dont see them opting out of the CBA.

Consider the following excerpt from a Greenbay fan:

mick730 says:
Mar 14, 2011 10:46 AM
“Why so much sympathy for the owners (billionaires which the majority have had everything handed to them)? I doubt that majority of you guys own anything.”

I guess the response could be, why so much sympathy on your part for the players?

As for me personally, I’m a Packer fan, so I don’t have a billionaire owner at whom to direct my class envy and hatred. But the key is that I am a Packer fan. Not a fan per se of any particular player, but a fan of the Green Bay Packers.

Now, since the Green Bay financial statemtns are and always have been, public record, I can see for myself that since the latest CBA was put in place, the bottom line of the Packers has dropped from 35 million dollars for fiscal 2006 to 5.2 million dollars for fiscal 2009. This happened despite record revenues. Why one might ask if one had the slightest bit of curiousity? The answer is that player salaries, despite the Packers having the youngest roster in football for that entire period of time, have skyrocketed, up over 15% on average each year. And guess what? All the other expenses of the team have also gone right through the roof. Take a look at the cost of the team’s liability insurance premiums. Unbelievable.

So when expenses are skyrocketing, there is only so much the Packers can do and still remain competitive. If they raise ticket prices, which as a season ticket holder I know the Packers have done their best to keep to a minimum, $2.00 on average for the upcoming season, the team only gets about .42 cents of each new dollar in revenue; the players get the rest.

Now since you and the other unionites around here area always railing against billionaire owners, the end result of your union fanatacism is that only teams with billionaire owners who can afford to treat a pro football team like a hobby, will be able to compete and stay in business. As a Packer fan, that’s a no go for me.

But one more question to you: Why is it that the unions and their supporters, who are demanding the owners open their books for review by the union, have absolutely nothing to say about the Green Bay books, that are open to you?

Could it be that you simply don’t like the fact that the Green Bay books don’t support the union’s position?

Denver Native (Carol)
04-11-2011, 08:29 PM
Great letter from the Green Bay fan, and if the GB franchise has lost money, while the players' salaries have increased 15% on average each year, you would think that all owners have realized much of the same. No wonder the owners want to get back to a realistic CBA. With the GB books being open to the public, I can not believe the players have much to stand on.

Nomad
04-13-2011, 02:44 PM
Another attaboy to the NFL regarding rookies, triming down the wage scale and now proposing to take away holding out.....I'm all for it. Let these rookies earn their stripes before they start demanding!!

As far as the veterans, NFL is probably asking for a little too much!! And if a vet has earned it and the team is being cheap....I don't blame them for holding out!

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/04/13/nfls-rookie-wage-proposal-includes-eliminating-holdouts/#comments

Denver Native (Carol)
04-19-2011, 03:10 PM
MINNEAPOLIS -- The NFL and players began their third day of court-ordered mediation Tuesday morning in the downtown chambers of U.S. Magistrate Judge Arthur Boylan.

The NFL group was led by Commissioner Roger Goodell, general counsel Jeff Pash, outside counsel Bob Batterman, Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones, Carolina Panthers owner Jerry Richardson, Denver Broncos owner Pat Bowlen, Green Bay Packers CEO Mark Murphy and Atlanta Falcons president Rich McKay. Bowlen and Richardson co-chair the NFL's 10-man labor committee, and Jones and Murphy serve on it, as do New England Patriots owner Robert Kraft, Kansas City Chiefs owner Clark Hunt and Pittsburgh Steelers president Art Rooney II, who were at last week's mediation.

full article - http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81f55f05/article/goodell-five-team-execs-at-mediation-smith-out-on-emergency?module=HP_headlines

With Pat Bowlen being so involved in this, it is hard to think that he has something seriously wrong with him.

KCL
04-19-2011, 03:19 PM
I hope they get something worked out and soon! :tsk::mad:

rcsodak
04-19-2011, 04:49 PM
Without whatshisname there, they prolly got along better.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

Lonestar
04-20-2011, 02:47 PM

I think everyone wants to see the games.

But to have an unhealthy one sided agreement like last time will cause weaker teams to fold or move.

It will nit hurt the mega big city teams so much the ones that have gazillionaires as owners or are leaders in outside the stadium sales.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

Denver Native (Carol)
04-20-2011, 07:33 PM
MINNEAPOLIS — The NFL and its locked-out players wrapped up their fourth day of court-ordered talks Wednesday with few signs of progress and no plans to meet again until mid-May.

Executive vice president Jeff Pash, the NFL's lead negotiator, said U.S. Judge Magistrate Arthur Boylan told both sides they probably won't convene again until May 16.:tsk::tsk:

U.S. District Judge Susan Richard Nelson is expected to decide well before then on the players' request for an injunction to immediately lift the lockout, now in its 40th day. Her decision will almost certainly be appealed, but it will give the winning side some leverage in any further talks — even as the clock ticks on the 2011 season.

"That is the judge's decision," NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said. "She will make that ruling when she is prepared to do it, and at that point in time we all will respect the ruling and we will get back to the point where we are negotiating."

Goodell said the league is planning to start the season on time.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_17891290?source=rss