PDA

View Full Version : Ouch

dogfish
04-08-2011, 09:40 PM
looks like we might have fallen into the last round of exorbitant contracts. . .

Most folks expect that the next CBA will put a curb on rising rookie salaries that resulted in Bradford getting $50 million guaranteed last summer. But that doesn't mean, in this draft, that teams are operating under the assumption it will happen this year. In fact, teams are operating with the feeling they might have to pay the same freight as in the recent past, which would be the case if an injunction to lift the lockout is granted and the 2011 season is played without a CBA in place.

"It's a gray area," said the AFC personnel exec. "No one knows the timetable, and there are no guarantees. And even if there is a rookie wage scale, we don't know the numbers."

Translation: The same problems over dealing picks in the top quarter of the first round will continue to exist and might be made worse by the aforementioned holes in the profiles of the top prospects.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/09000d5d81f254f1/article/teams-face-slim-pickings-difficult-task-drafting-this-year

lots of draft info in the linked article, some of which is pretty relevant to denver's position. . . i've been thinking/hoping the rookie wage scale would be in place this year, allowing us to sign that #2 pick to a moderately reasonable contract while also increasing our odds of being able to trade out of the pick. . . it's going to suck if neither of those things happen. . .

my nightmare scenario would be carolina taking dareus, although that at least i don't think is likely. . .

Elevation inc
04-09-2011, 03:16 AM
looks like we might have fallen into the last round of exorbitant contracts. . .

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/09000d5d81f254f1/article/teams-face-slim-pickings-difficult-task-drafting-this-year

lots of draft info in the linked article, some of which is pretty relevant to denver's position. . . i've been thinking/hoping the rookie wage scale would be in place this year, allowing us to sign that #2 pick to a moderately reasonable contract while also increasing our odds of being able to trade out of the pick. . . it's going to suck if neither of those things happen. . .

my nightmare scenario would be carolina taking dareus, although that at least i don't think is likely. . .

I would cry if carolina takes dareus and we cant trade back.....but I would imagine we could at least trade back with SF to seven.....they are gonan want a Qb and both top guys will be gone by seven so harbaugh is gonna have to make a move.....unless of course he thinks dalton or ponder are the answer in rd 2

horsepig
04-09-2011, 04:37 AM
I can live with Fairley, no problemo.

horsepig
04-09-2011, 04:38 AM
We could use some nasty football attitude, but not so much the nasty pancake house attitude.

Northman
04-09-2011, 08:02 AM
I can live with Fairley, no problemo.

My thoughts exactly.

Even if Denver takes Dareus there is no guarantee he will not be a bust. Every player is a crapshoot no matter what the pundits say about "best player" in the draft crap.

As to the article, it is a scary thought though but im not totally shocked either.

Elevation inc
04-09-2011, 10:39 AM
a trade back to at leats seven is coming if dareus is gone to Carolina Im telling you right now it will happen:beer:

SR
04-09-2011, 11:01 AM
I would cry if carolina takes dareus and we cant trade back.....but I would imagine we could at least trade back with SF to seven.....they are gonan want a Qb and both top guys will be gone by seven so harbaugh is gonna have to make a move.....unless of course he thinks dalton or ponder are the answer in rd 2

If Dareus goes #1, Denver will select Von Miller at #2. I think. Which makes me want to throw up in my mouth.

Northman
04-09-2011, 11:05 AM
If Dareus goes #1, Denver will select Von Miller at #2. I think. Which makes me want to throw up in my mouth.

I think Miller will be a good player but i agree with you that i definitely wouldnt take him with the #2 pick. At that point if Denver isnt sold on Fairley then trade back. I like Wilson better than Miller anyway and he can be had later in the draft.

LTC Pain
04-09-2011, 11:10 AM
I think Miller will be a good player but i agree with you that i definitely wouldnt take him with the #2 pick. At that point if Denver isnt sold on Fairley then trade back. I like Wilson better than Miller anyway and he can be had later in the draft.

I agree Northman. IMHO, the focus on fixing the Broncos front seven should be at DT and ILB. I don't see how an OLB who is a pass rusher extraordinaire addresses the need. If the Broncos miss on Dareus and Fairley (two best DTs in draft) I will be disappointed, even if the team drafts defense with the two 2nd round picks.

Ravage!!!
04-09-2011, 11:11 AM
Even with a payscale, the top guys will be getting BIG BIG money. We just aren't going to see teams trade into the top spots, any differently than before. #2 is just too high value to move up into.

SR
04-09-2011, 11:12 AM
Honestly, if they can't grab Dareus, I'd like to see Denver trade to the middle of the first to pick up Cam Jordan. We don't "need" a DE, but that guy is gonna be a stud. I'm not sold on Fairley. The more of him I watch and the more I hear, the less I like him.

Northman
04-09-2011, 11:15 AM
I agree Northman. IMHO, the focus on fixing the Broncos front seven should be at DT and ILB. I don't see how an OLB who is a pass rusher extraordinaire addresses the need. If the Broncos miss on Dareus and Fairley (two best DTs in draft) I will be disappointed, even if the team drafts defense with the two 2nd round picks.

Yea, if Fairley or Dareus bust it will suck but you know i can live with that because at least they TRIED to get help in the right area. I will never condemn a team let alone my team for having a player just not turn out to be what they thought he was but my god if we take a QB i will be launching my fat cat into the tv screen. lol

rcsodak
04-10-2011, 08:49 AM
Even with a payscale, the top guys will be getting BIG BIG money. We just aren't going to see teams trade into the top spots, any differently than before. #2 is just too high value to move up into.
If the owners get their wish, the contracts for the 1's will be 3-4yrs, vs the 5-6. That means considerably less layout, but on the otherhand, less time to wait for the player to 'get it'. I just don't know if that tells a team to be careful or gutsy.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

Lonestar
04-10-2011, 08:55 AM

Could also plan on tanking the season and getting his guy luck next year. He would have the ability to do that real easy. And still have lots of grace time.

rcsodak
04-10-2011, 08:58 AM
Yea, if Fairley or Dareus bust it will suck but you know i can live with that because at least they TRIED to get help in the right area. I will never condemn a team let alone my team for having a player just not turn out to be what they thought he was but my god if we take a QB i will be launching my fat cat into the tv screen. lol
So you're already giving them a pass?

Oh, the irony. :lol:

rcsodak
04-10-2011, 09:07 AM
Could also plan on tanking the season and getting his guy luck next year. He would have the ability to do that real easy. And still have lots of grace time.
I can see it now.

NE drafting a D player @ 33. Then after the cba gets finalized, they trade that player to denver for TT.
KO gets traded for a '12 pick, and fox brings in a stopgap vet.
They win 3gms and garner the #1 pick in '12.

But everybody's cool with that since Elway gets luck.

claymore
04-10-2011, 09:10 AM
I can see it now.

NE drafting a D player @ 33. Then after the cba gets finalized, they trade that player to denver for TT.
KO gets traded for a '12 pick, and fox brings in a stopgap vet.
They win 3gms and garner the #1 pick in '12.

Yup.

Nomad
04-10-2011, 10:21 AM

Elway's already made it clear to the team that do not expect to win more than 3 games in 2011-2012 depending on if there is a team worse off, then perhaps only 1 or 2 or BRONCOS pull a Detriot. He's planning on trading Orton and Tebow and keeping Quinn to assure that #1 pick for Andrew Luck and defense has been told to stay on the downlow!! He knows no team will pass on Luck so his only answer is to tank the season!!:D

College football season can't get here soon enough!!

Elevation inc
04-10-2011, 11:05 AM

thats a bad move for a LB that fits only outside in the 4-3 leaving williams and woodyard holding their balls....lol miller at 2 is bad call by FO......i would cry if that went down in fact i would take peterson at 2 before miller cause we still have no clue what will happen to Cox.....

Shananahan
04-11-2011, 02:19 AM
Hell, I'd rather draft A.J. Green at #2 than Von Miller.

TXBRONC
04-11-2011, 07:03 AM
So you're already giving them a pass?

Oh, the irony. :lol:

No need to be a baiter.