PDA

View Full Version : Bronco buddies on the today show!

OB
10-10-2008, 12:32 PM
He is also a member of this site :beer:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26943618/

Lance aka Gimpygod

It is my understanding he was told he was not allowed to bring anything on the show that had a logo on it.

If you look carefully he repped the Broncos anyways with the blanket - only football fans would have picked up on it - but Im proud of him

Way to go Lance - True to the Orange n Blue :salute:

I still cry watching this - this is what America needs to be about - this is what humans need to be about

GEM
10-10-2008, 12:43 PM
That was a phenomenal piece. I :salute: you GG. :D

Benetto
10-10-2008, 12:54 PM
Lance...If everyone in this world was like your father, it would be a perfect world.

Thank you for sharing OB...Lance, God bless you and your family.

claymore
10-10-2008, 12:55 PM
Hell Yeah. The son of a gun got his chair!

Denver Native (Carol)
10-10-2008, 12:56 PM
Lance - I can truly say that you are REALLY an inspiration, and I want you to know that Broncos Forums is truly a BETTER place with you as one of our members. I :salute: you.

We love you, and God Bless you

underrated29
10-10-2008, 01:02 PM
I cant see the LInk---- But way to go for repping the broncos GimpyGod!! Thats how us fans do it.

Ummm... and i dont know your story, but i salute you. You have a great sense of humor.

I do know that.

Denver Native (Carol)
10-10-2008, 01:08 PM
I cant see the LInk---- But way to go for repping the broncos GimpyGod!! Thats how us fans do it.

Ummm... and i dont know your story, but i salute you. You have a great sense of humor.

I do know that.

He’s immobile, but his song has the power to move
Wheelchair-bound man hears tune honoring his dad in new TODAY series

Oct. 2: TODAY's "Everyone Has a Story" series kicks off with a special performance and a chat with Lance Carr, who has muscular dystrophy, and his devoted father.

Lance Carr sat in his wheelchair, tears that he couldn’t brush away running freely down cheeks glowing with pride as Broadway star Norm Lewis belted out an inspiring song about Carr’s hero.

Next to Carr, the subject of the song — Lance Carr’s father — brushed away his own tears as Lewis’ powerful voice filled the TODAY studio in New York.

It’s often said at such times that there wasn’t a dry eye in the house, and usually that’s just a figure of speech. But not on Thursday. Not on the day that Carr became the first of eight people whose stories will be presented over the next two months as part of the “Everybody Has a Story” series conceived by TODAY’s Kathie Lee Gifford and Hoda Kotb. Not when Lewis sang “He’s My Hero,” the song Gifford and her collaborator David Friedman wrote especially for Lance and his dad.
Story continues below ↓advertisement

“He’s my hero, though the world will never see all the courage that he has and gives to me,” Lewis sang. “He’s my hero.”

A quiet hero
Before Lewis, who is starring on Broadway in “The Little Mermaid,” launched into the song, Lance had said that he hoped it would not be a sad one. After Lewis finished, he glowed. “I loved it,” he said. “It’s about Dad.”

When their son was diagnosed with a rare form of muscular dystrophy at the age of 13 months, Lance Carr’s parents, Larry and Thelma Carr, were told he would die by the age of 3. He’s 38 now and going strong, but the disease has robbed him of all movement except for his head and face and his thumbs. He lives with his parents in Fort Morgan, Colo., and his father, Larry, bathes him, dresses him, feeds him, scratches his itches and cares for him in every way, without complaint.

Lance wanted the world to know of his dad’s quiet heroism. When he heard that Gifford and Kotb were soliciting personal stories for their series, he wrote them about his father.

“My name is Lance Carr and I’m 38 years old. I suffer from pain every single day,” he began. “I’ve never held a loved one in my arms. That’s tough.”

Then he explained what his father has meant to him. “In direct defiance of physics, Mother Nature, and the very idea of the aging process itself, Dad lifts me in his strong arms (arms that give more comfort and reassurance then even the embrace of an Angel would be able to provide) to bathe me, to care for me,” Carr wrote.

“A few years ago he left the hospital against doctor recommendation when suffering from the extreme pain of kidney stones, a pain many men would verify no regular human being could ignore ... why? So he could take care of his son,” Carr continued. “Our entire lives together are peppered with such stories of how love for and from his family allows him to endure and persevere.”

He concluded by saying, “In a world where we look for role models and heroes in politicians, athletes or maybe something as silly as an entertainer, the daily demonstrations of heroism acted out by my Pops go unnoticed. If those who read this want to be heroic and change this world into a better place, they need do nothing more than emulate my dearest old Dad.”

Nothing special?
Larry Carr watched a tape of his son reading the letter. “I’m very grateful that he thinks that much of me, and I love him so much,” Larry said.

He denied that what he does is anything special. “It’s not that I’m always there for him. He’s always there for me. It’s just a wonderful feeling to have someone who is so close — I think we finish each other’s sentences for each other.”

The idea for the inspirational series came from a song Gifford wrote with Friedman called “Everybody Has a Story.” The song was originally composed for the movie “Bella,” but Gifford realized that the song’s message was true: Everybody does have a story.

She and Kotb decided to get those stories. “We decided, how awesome it would be if Americans sent in their stories, and then David and I would write the song of their story and bring them here to New York and give them an opportunity to let the world know their story,” Gifford explained.

Video
First winner of ‘Everyone Has a Story’
Sept. 29: TODAY’s Hoda Kotb and Kathie Lee Gifford share Lance Carr’s inspiring story.

Gifford and Kotb received more than 1,000 letters from people who wanted to share their stories with America. They decided to choose representative letters, for which Gifford and Friedman would write songs. One story would be presented each week for eight weeks.

“It was daunting, because everybody’s story deserves a song,” Gifford said “So we wanted to cover eight categories that would represent the bulk of the letters that came to us. I always look for a line in one of the letters that just jumped out at me, and then you start with that little germ of an idea.”

Gifford sang “Everybody Has a Story” last week to introduce the contest. But instead of singing the individual songs herself, she and Kotb came up with a better idea.

The best of Broadway
“Here’s the cool part. Here’s the really great part,” Gifford said. “Each week, the song is going to be sung by somebody who is starring in a current Broadway production. These are the most talented people on the face of the earth.” Carr’s song, for example, was sung by Broadway veteran Lewis, who is playing King Triton in “The Little Mermaid.”

Until coming to New York, Carr, who has a degree in mathematics and was a teacher, had never left Colorado. For the past 14 years he has spent his days for in the same battered wheelchair, whose motor stopped working eight years ago.

Carr is an accomplished painter, creating his art by moving a cursor with his eyes. He has to hold his breath during each stroke of his digital paintbrush, and it takes 100 hours to complete a single painting.

He said he had been hoping to sell his artwork to buy a new wheelchair, but he brought a number of paintings with him and gave them as gifts to Kotb, Gifford and Lewis to thank them for what they did for his dad.

Gifford and Kotb told him they had a gift for him, too. They wheeled out a brand-new wheelchair donated by Invacare, an Ohio company that makes state-of-the-art motorized chairs. The company will deliver the chair to Carr in Colorado and custom-fit it to his body.

Carr and his father were obviously filled with gratitude, but it was Gifford who delivered the thanks. “We’re so privileged to have been able to tell your story,” she told them.

underrated29
10-10-2008, 01:16 PM
Now i can say it and mean it. i salute you!

thanks DNC.

girler
10-10-2008, 01:23 PM
No fair making me cry today. I swore off that last week!!!

:salute: Gimpygod and :salute: your Pops too!!! (and your mom! :salute:)

Jaws
10-10-2008, 01:25 PM
Inspiring story :salute:

gnomeflinger
10-10-2008, 01:26 PM
That was amazing. Lance...I'm speechless. GG you and your father are an inspriation to all.

:salute:

Rex
10-10-2008, 01:28 PM
Incredible piece. Salute to G.G. and his father. What a great story.

Requiem / The Dagda
10-10-2008, 01:53 PM
What a wonderful story. :smile:

Gimpygod
10-10-2008, 01:59 PM
I am adding to this thread to talk about how dad and I enjoy the Broncos together. We were never able to throw a ball around so we put all of our sports togetherness into the Broncos. He also watches me play Internet poker but that's a whole different story:eek:

We were on the today show last week where a story I wrote was turned into a song and performed by a Broadway star... extremely awesome! Video link here (http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/26943618/)

If you look at the video closely you will notice I was using my bronco blanket on national television even though it was frowned upon... as any good member of bronco nation would!:salute: And don't let Dad fool you with his calm, soft-spoken demeanor. If you could have heard and seen him on that late hit against Jay during the Chiefs game (I think it was the Chiefs) you probably would have fainted unless you were a trucker/pirate with Tourette's syndrome.:laugh::lol::laugh:

Anyway, my point is football is more than just a game and the Broncos are definitely more than just a sports team. Those men, working in unison toward victory and excellence, offer many of us an escape from painful reality. Those same warriors give us a place to focus our hopes and be a part of something greater than just our own lives.

Here is to the Broncos being 13 and three this year,

Gimpygod

PS sometimes I really wish I could talk to Brandon Marshall and the whole team, I think I could give them a good perspective.

BroncoJoe
10-10-2008, 02:04 PM
Great story. I remember he posted a thread about his Dad once. I'll have to look for it again.

OB
10-10-2008, 02:05 PM
Glad you started a thread - maybe the mods can join ours together - i got a little ahead of you and started one ;) but yours tells your story way better - i just would like to see the other posts from my thread added here :2thumbs:

How long has your family followed the broncos - i see you are from Colorado - have you always lived there?

Stay true to the orange n blue :salute:

BroncoJoe
10-10-2008, 02:06 PM
PS sometimes I really wish I could talk to Brandon Marshall and the whole team, I think I could give them a good perspective.

Great accomplishment, GG!

If you were able to get on the Today Show, I'd bet you'll be talking to the Broncos soon!

PS - Loved the Blanket!

Benetto
10-10-2008, 02:38 PM
Lance, congrats on the new chair...I was happy to see them get it for you.

Enjoy! And here's to many years of good health and happiness for you and your family, man. :beer:

Thanks again for sharing.

Gimpygod
10-10-2008, 02:48 PM
Glad you started a thread - maybe the mods can join ours together - i got a little ahead of you and started one ;) but yours tells your story way better - i just would like to see the other posts from my thread added here :2thumbs:

How long has your family followed the broncos - i see you are from Colorado - have you always lived there?

Stay true to the orange n blue :salute:

I have always lived in Colorado and followed the Broncos since the Red Miller days... granted those are hazy days because of my youth at the time so I mostly remember from 1983 and on... wonder why:confused:

Driving through New York was one heck of an experience let me tell you! They had a van/limo to take me places and the drivers were crazy as well as the pedestrians. My life flash before my eyes so many times I started to get bored with the reruns:shocked:.

So I guess my new quest is to figure out a way to talk to the Broncos and get a lift to help dad get me in and out of the tub.

Thank you all for the positive comments... when do the raider trolls start calling me vegetable? I'm ready! Bring it on!!

Benetto
10-10-2008, 02:56 PM
I have always lived in Colorado and followed the Broncos since the Red Miller days... granted those are hazy days because of my youth at the time so I mostly remember from 1983 and on... wonder why:confused:

Driving through New York was one heck of an experience let me tell you! They had a van/limo to take me places and the drivers were crazy as well as the pedestrians. My life flash before my eyes so many times I started to get bored with the reruns:shocked:.

So I guess my new quest is to figure out a way to talk to the Broncos and get a lift to help dad get me in and out of the tub.

Thank you all for the positive comments... when do the raider trolls start calling me vegetable? I'm ready! Bring it on!!

Tell them I said hello, and maybe try to make some tackles.

OB
10-10-2008, 02:58 PM

Trust me the one raider fan that posts here on a regular basis is by far the nicest raider fan on the planet (RoyallyPwned aka DevilSpawn)

And if anyone else proceeded to say anything but nice things about you they would have to go through me :boxing:

NYC is a crazy place - havent been in years so i can imagine how much worse it has gotten

Glad to have you aboard - just a few things to keep in mind - The Lounge is crazy and the politics is even crazier and well basically ignore anything Claymore says :D

j/k clay ;)

Heres to a playoff bound Broncos team :beer:

girler
10-10-2008, 03:00 PM
Trust me the one raider fan that posts here on a regular basis is by far the nicest raider fan on the planet (RoyallyPwned aka DevilSpawn)

And if anyone else proceeded to say anything but nice things about you they would have to go through me :boxing:

NYC is a crazy place - havent been in years so i can imagine how much worse it has gotten

Glad to have you aboard - just a few things to keep in mind - The Lounge is crazy and the politics is even crazier and well basically ignore anything Claymore says :D

j/k clay ;)

Heres to a playoff bound Broncos team :beer:

:listen: she's not really kidding about clay, but we are all nice to him anyway. :beer:

LRtagger
10-10-2008, 03:02 PM
Awesome!

DoubleG, you are an inspiration to us all. :salute:

Dreadnought
10-10-2008, 03:09 PM
Great stuff, Lance, and damned proud to have you as a member here!

BroncoJoe
10-10-2008, 03:15 PM
So - tell us what it was like taking your first airplane trip! Did you get to sight-see in NYC at all?

Gimpygod
10-10-2008, 04:31 PM
So - tell us what it was like taking your first airplane trip! Did you get to sight-see in NYC at all?

The airplane trip was pretty tough. Dad picked me up in the tunnel and had to carry me back to our seats behind the bulkhead. I don't know if you saw the video but the the word "svelte" doesn't really describe either of us.:cool: It was tougher than squeezing commonsense out of Al Davis! And, of course, my keister was not designed to withstand airline seats for four or five hour stints.

I got to see Central Park which is amazing because one minute you are in a science-fiction movie giant city and then all of a sudden you are in a peaceful forest... awesome! Also went to the American national Museum of Natural History, again, gi-normous. Saw the Star of India, the bones of Lucy (possible progenitor) and dinosaurs up the wazoo. It was pretty thoughtful of Teddy Roosevelt to croak all those animals so we could look at them in the future:laugh:.

The best place I got to eat was breakfast at a place called Sarah Beth's... delicious.

Gimpygod
10-10-2008, 04:33 PM
:listen: she's not really kidding about clay, but we are all nice to him anyway. :beer:

I had to doublecheck but Claymore writes me nice private messages all the time. Hope I'm not ruining his reputation;)

Buff
10-10-2008, 04:42 PM
Lance, we're proud to have you and your dad in the Broncos family... That was a pretty cool thing you did for him. Thanks for sharing your story. :salute:

girler
10-10-2008, 04:43 PM
I had to doublecheck but Claymore writes me nice private messages all the time. Hope I'm not ruining his reputation;)

Ya, that's why we're nice to him. He's a nice guy. Totally whacked and in need of therapy, but nice. :lol: :salute:

NameUsedBefore
10-10-2008, 04:47 PM
Inspiring story bro.

Hobe
10-10-2008, 06:53 PM
WOW! Real love, real heroism, real carriage is rarely heralded. I’m glad this one was an exception!

GO Lance
GO Larry
GO Broncos

:2thumbs:

KCL
10-10-2008, 08:21 PM
Great story and Lance you are special with special parents.That was a beautiful song and from what I read and heard...very fitting for your dad.
God Bless All of You!

Great paintings Lance!

Jaws
10-10-2008, 10:23 PM
I loved the video. Thanks ever so much for sharing your story. You're an awesome family.

NightTrainLayne
10-10-2008, 11:35 PM
This is great Lance! Very inspiring. I'm glad that you had this opportunity to thank your Dad in such a special way.

Amazing!

TXBRONC
10-11-2008, 06:23 PM
He is also a member of this site :beer:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26943618/

Lance aka Gimpygod

It is my understanding he was told he was not allowed to bring anything on the show that had a logo on it.

If you look carefully he repped the Broncos anyways with the blanket - only football fans would have picked up on it - but Im proud of him

Way to go Lance - True to the Orange n Blue :salute:

I still cry watching this - this is what America needs to be about - this is what humans need to be about

I might sound like a wuss but I could help but shed some tears. Thanks for sharing this 420. :salute::salute:

Broncolingus
10-11-2008, 06:35 PM
Thx, Orange, really nice to see...

BCJ
10-13-2008, 02:00 PM
Us fathers can always say that we hope we become the heroes of their children. Either by what we say or what we do. Lance's Dad does both and more than most could have imagined in their life. Lance, if your Dad every wondered if it is appreciated, I think you answered that with the letter to the Today show. Also, Kudos to the blanket on the show. Father's Day has got be your favorite day of the year! Props to you and your Dad. I now know that I am not the greatest Dad in the World (except to my own kids).

Gimpygod
10-13-2008, 02:55 PM
I now know that I am not the greatest Dad in the World (except to my own kids).

Your own kids are all that matter. Remember that you can never love them too much, spend too much time with them or create too many memories together with them.

OB
10-13-2008, 03:04 PM
:wave: Hi gg - hows it goin today

Was your dad cussin like the sailor with tourettes yesterday :lol:

Damn broncos :tsk: :tsk:

yardog
10-13-2008, 03:50 PM
Gimpygod for you and your DAD.

:salute:

Yardog

Gimpygod
10-14-2008, 11:27 AM
:wave: Hi gg - hows it goin today

Was your dad cussin like the sailor with tourettes yesterday :lol:

Damn broncos :tsk: :tsk:

He was actually more disappointed and I was doing the cussing! I was kind of getting the feeling some of the guys think their poop doesn't stink and, accordingly, are handling the ball lackadaisically. Then I watched the Giants get crushed by the Browns and felt quite a lot better:elefant:

claymore
10-14-2008, 11:40 AM
He was actually more disappointed and I was doing the cussing! I was kind of getting the feeling some of the guys think their poop doesn't stink and, accordingly, are handling the ball lackadaisically. Then I watched the Giants get crushed by the Browns and felt quite a lot better:elefant:

Are Cathy Lee's boobs as big as they look on TV GG? You can PM me if need be. :heh:

Gimpygod
10-15-2008, 12:13 PM
Are Cathy Lee's boobs as big as they look on TV GG? You can PM me if need be. :heh:

er...HOW ABOUT THOSE BRONCOS!?:shocked::eek::D

OB
10-15-2008, 03:29 PM
er...HOW ABOUT THOSE BRONCOS!?:shocked::eek::D

Remember what i said - ignore everything clay says ;)

BroncoNut
10-15-2008, 03:45 PM
Great story. I remember he posted a thread about his Dad once. I'll have to look for it again.

yeah, I remember something like that too. I do remember GG's sense of humor.

:salute: GG, quite an inspiration you are. Great piece, and thanks to you OB for posting