PDA

View Full Version : Ball protection crucial

Benetto
10-10-2008, 12:05 PM
We shot ourselves in the foot during our only loss of the year because three of our elite players got careless and didn't protect the ball. Jay with 2 INT's, Royal and Marshall each with a Fumble. And we still almost won there at the end...

My point being, against the second worst defense in the league (Chiefs) we coughed the ball up twice with 2 careless INT's. Imagine how crucial Ball protection will be against a smash mouth defense who lives off of stripping the ball. Rashine "the machine" Mathis is no joke himself....He is a top 5 CB in the league...IMO..

Jay's gotta be careful and stay calm...He gets way to antsy when frustrated. That's when he throws picks.

CONTROL the clock
PROTECT the damn ball

Follow those steps and we WILL win.

Davii
10-10-2008, 12:10 PM
We shot ourselves in the foot during our only loss of the year because three of our elite players got careless and didn't protect the ball. Jay with 2 INT's, Royal and Marshall each with a Fumble. And we still almost won there at the end...

My point being, against the second worst defense in the league (Chiefs) we coughed the ball up twice with 2 careless INT's. Imagine how crucial Ball protection will be against a smash mouth defense who lives off of stripping the ball. Rashine "the machine" Mathis is no joke himself....He is a top 5 CB in the league...IMO..

Jay's gotta be careful and stay calm...He gets way to antsy when frustrated. That's when he throws picks.

CONTROL the clock
PROTECT the damn ball

The Jags are one of the worst teams in the NFL at getting the opposing offense off the field on 3rd down.

If we protect the ball there is no doubt in my mind we put up 30+ against the Jags.

claymore
10-10-2008, 12:24 PM
The Jags are one of the worst teams in the NFL at getting the opposing offense off the field on 3rd down.

If we protect the ball there is no doubt in my mind we put up 30+ against the Jags.

I hope so.

20yardline
10-11-2008, 08:50 PM
No turnovers - and we win 90% of the time. We need a mix of ball control and big plays though.

Lonestar
10-12-2008, 12:10 AM

Alot like we are huh?

Remember that Broncos play at the level of there competition, almost all the time..

They also have a damned fine running game something we have yet to stop when we had to..

slim
10-12-2008, 03:12 AM
Alot like we are huh?

Remember that Broncos play at the level of there competition, almost all the time..

They also have a damned fine running game something we have yet to stop when we had to..

Not really. Their OL has been decimated with injuries. I don't think they are even in the top half of the league in rushing yards per game.

So, our defense should be able to keep them under 200 :D

Lonestar
10-12-2008, 03:17 AM
Not really. Their OL has been decimated with injuries. I don't think they are even in the top half of the league in rushing yards per game.

So, our defense should be able to keep them under 200 :D

two hundred rushing yards? if that is the case it is pretty pathetic..

I think you will be surprised at drew jones, gerrard and the old man Fred Taylor, at how many yards they get and how much TOP they get because of it..

But then I could be all wrong about this one ALSO..

Nomad
10-12-2008, 08:28 AM
Ball control is crucial and TOs can be a back breaker, but tackling/defending your man is the key to keep the opponents of the board! Arm tackling will do nothing against Matt Jones or Jones-Drew or even Garrard!

omac
10-12-2008, 09:38 AM

CONTROL the clock
PROTECT the damn ball

I think there's a slight flaw in your plan. In order to control the clock and protect the ball, the offense has to dial down their passing and big plays, and run the ball more often. Which of our games this season has shown you that we have the rushing offense to properly control the clock? Save for the goal-line, our rushing attack has been very inconsistent. The leads that our offense acquired through it's passing attack disappeared the moment we changed strategy and went with a ball-control approach, usually in the 3rd quarter.

I just think a ball control, low scoring game will greatly favor Jacksonville to Denver, specially since they have Taylor and Mojo, and they'll be playing our defense.

I'd rather we take our chances on an explosive offensive gameplan, and if that means turnovers, then we lose that way. I seriously doubt we can effectively go with a run-heavy offense with what I've seen in our previous games. If it happens, then great; I mean, who could've guessed the Broncos would beat Tampa by only scoring 16 points? :D I'd feel much more comfortable with the offense taking chances, than being too cautious.

Nomad
10-12-2008, 09:41 AM
I think there's a slight flaw in your plan. In order to control the clock and protect the ball, the offense has to dial down their passing and big plays, and run the ball more often. Which of our games this season has shown you that we have the rushing offense to properly control the clock? Save for the goal-line, our rushing attack has been very inconsistent. The leads that our offense acquired through it's passing attack disappeared the moment we changed strategy and went with a ball-control approach, usually in the 3rd quarter.

I just think a ball control, low scoring game will greatly favor Jacksonville to Denver, specially since they have Taylor and Mojo, and they'll be playing our defense.

I'd rather we take our chances on an explosive offensive gameplan, and if that means turnovers, then we lose that way. I seriously doubt we can effectively go with a run-heavy offense with what I've seen in our previous games. If it happens, then great; I mean, who could've guessed the Broncos would beat Tampa by only scoring 16 points? :D I'd feel much more comfortable with the offense taking chances, than being too cautious.

I agree omac! Shanny needs to be aggressive in his offensive schemes and keep the Jags on their toes!

MasterShake
10-12-2008, 10:29 AM
Oh. I thought this thread was about Cod Pieces. Sorry, carry on. I'll save these pics for a more appropriate thread.

LRtagger
10-12-2008, 03:39 PM
uh-oh

Northman
10-12-2008, 03:40 PM
Yep, two early TO's by Jay. He really needs to take care of the ball better. Hopefully he learns how to do it or he will become the next Culpepper.

nevcraw
10-12-2008, 03:53 PM
how true.. great thread..

honz
10-12-2008, 04:08 PM
Nice jinx thread...:coffee:

LRtagger
10-12-2008, 04:16 PM
Nice jinx thread...:coffee:

+1 Mods please delete

Nomad
10-12-2008, 04:17 PM
Tackling would help as well which the BRONCOS are seeming to lack

slim
10-12-2008, 04:35 PM
Benny, you were so right.

I feel like puking.

DenBronx
10-12-2008, 04:40 PM
this thread deffinitely jinxed the game.

ban...

kthxby

Benetto
10-12-2008, 05:26 PM
this thread deffinitely jinxed the game.

ban...

kthxby

skmyedk

DenBronx
10-12-2008, 05:43 PM
skmyedk

fkyrslfnb

Benetto
10-12-2008, 05:49 PM
fkyrslfnb

You should stick to starting threads about Larry Johnson coming to Denver...Not trying to say who jinx what...

DenBronx
10-12-2008, 06:42 PM
You should stick to starting threads about Larry Johnson coming to Denver...Not trying to say who jinx what...

stick to threads that dont jinx.

kthnxbyfg

Broncolingus
10-13-2008, 12:21 AM

CONTROL the clock
PROTECT the damn ball

GP...

Guess Denver missed reading it (again) today...