PDA

View Full Version : Pittman's role likely to expand for Broncos

Den21vsBal19
10-10-2008, 06:54 AM
Good Pittman article, as said elsewhere, his performances have been a definite plus so far this year

Running back coming off best game with Denver

Associated Press
Friday, October 10, 2008

ENGLEWOOD -- Michael Pittman has been doing everything he can to convince the Denver Broncos that he deserves more carries.

He should get his chance against Jacksonville on Sunday, when he figures to split snaps with Andre Hall.

Tailback Selvin Young, who has averaged 5.7 yards a carry, won't play against the Jaguars because of a strained left groin, the same injury that will keep tight end Tony Scheffler on the sideline.

"Well, it's definitely an opportunity for me and I look forward to it," Pittman said. "... if my number's called a lot more, I'll definitely appreciate it and I'll do my thing."

Pittman is coming off his best game since joining the Broncos as a free agent this summer.

Against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, with whom he played the previous six seasons, Pittman had two key third-down runs that led to 10 points, then sealed Denver's 16-13 win in the waning minutes by bullying his way for a big first down that allowed the Broncos (4-1) to run out the clock.

Afterward, he said he's in good enough condition in his 11th NFL season to carry more of the load.

Pittman was moved to fullback in training camp, a position he'd never played. But with the emergence of rookies Spencer Larsen, a converted linebacker, and Peyton Hillis, Pittman has served as Denver's short-yardage, third-down and goal line back, scoring four of the Broncos' five rushing touchdowns.

When Pittman arrived in Denver this summer, he told the Broncos coaching staff he'd do whatever was asked of him, and they took him at his word.

Still, he's never strayed from the running back's creed: Give me the ball more and I'll be even better.

"The last four years I was a backup to Cadillac (Williams), so that put a lot of years still left in my legs," Pittman said.

So, he'd love 15-20 carries instead of six.

"I never went to a coach and asked for more carries. I just show them on the field," Pittman said. "I'm serious about what I do. I take a lot of pride in what I do. I'm a physical runner, a physical blocker. If more carries come, I'll definitely welcome that. I got a lot of juice left."

In Tampa Bay, Pittman's role was to carry the ball until the Buccaneers got close to the end zone. Then, he'd give way to Mike Alstott, who would bully his way into the end zone.

"Well, you always want to score touchdowns. But at the same time in Tampa, I accepted my role for what it was. Mike was the goal line guy," Pittman said. "And when Mike scored, I scored. That's just the way I felt.

"I've never been a jealous player or a selfish player. Everybody has their role in the offense and everybody wants to run the ball 20 times or 30 times a game. Everybody wants to score touchdowns. You accept your role and try to help your team any way possible."

Pittman has 119 yards on 29 carries for a 4.1-yard average.

If given the chance, he figures he has another 1,000-yard season in him.

"Your average 33-year-old can't do it, but I'm not your average 33-year-old man," Pittman said. "I don't get tired. I'm physical in everything I do. A lot of 33-year-old guys, yeah, they lose a lot at that age. But I'm a little bit different. I take care of myself. I still got a lot left."

TXBRONC
10-10-2008, 08:43 AM
I think Pittman will get right around 15 carries.

broncosinindy
10-10-2008, 09:34 AM
if torain has half pitmans tuffness.. selvins speed. and halls determination.. well have a player..

Great to see pitman getting some limelight he has been key

Lonestar
10-10-2008, 10:06 AM
lets hope that he can carry the ball until we find someone to do it for him.. and not get rid of youth because he is a short term fix..

Building the team via the draft should always IMO take precedent to aging expensive vets FA.. mikey needs to keep the eye on the ball for long term goal..

omac
10-10-2008, 11:38 AM
lets hope that he can carry the ball until we find someone to do it for him.. and not get rid of youth because he is a short term fix..

Building the team via the draft should always IMO take precedent to aging expensive vets FA.. mikey needs to keep the eye on the ball for long term goal..

Pittman didn't cost the Broncos much, only $1,004,320 (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/playerFantasyNews?statsId=4326). If I'm not mistaken, it's only a one year deal too, so it's not like we have anything heavily invested in him.

For his play, though, he's been a steal. He's been extremely effective in red zone TD scoring, great and very physical in short yardage situations, very solid in both pass and run blocking, also good at pass catching, and always gives 100% effort every time he's on the field. He also does anything and everything the coaches ask of him.

Acquiring players through the draft is a very key element, but so is procuring players from FA and trades. Pittman was a very low risk, and is proving to have great gains. Same goes for Wiegmann, another great move that didn't cost us much.

No one's saying Shanahan is neglecting drafting a RB, in fact he did that; we'll have to see just how good Torain is. But Pittman, with what we got for him and his production, was definitely a great offseason move.

Our offense is scoring in the red zone, and we're getting TDs in the red zone. Let's enjoy it. :cheers:

TXBRONC
10-10-2008, 02:47 PM

Expensive? Pittman came cheap relatively speaking.

Lonestar
10-10-2008, 03:17 PM
Expensive? Pittman came cheap relatively speaking.

Any FA vet at league minium is generally going to be more expensive than any, save perhaps, a first rounder draft choice.. Frankly most of his best yards were left on Tampas football field. At 33 years old he does not have much left in the tank.. His comment about thinking he could get a 1000 yards is a prime indicator..

Building via the draft now that mikey has his head out of his rectum is the way to go.. You get cheaper contracts, for longer periods of time..

gobroncsnv
10-10-2008, 06:59 PM
A starter (or good enough for us this year, anyway), veteran back, with his power and versatility, for only a mil??? I'll take that anytime. We got our money's worth out of him on that one run against the Bucs where he cracked 2 of 'em on the same play. Madden would have said BOOM-BOOM!

Den21vsBal19
10-10-2008, 07:18 PM
It's not as if he's keeping any young talent off the field, as a short-term situational player, he's been a good pickup.

And with Young out & Hall struggling for Sunday, it's nice to know that we've gotten someone proven to step up

TXBRONC
10-10-2008, 07:41 PM
It's not as if he's keeping any young talent off the field, as a short-term situational player, he's been a good pickup.

And with Young out & Hall struggling for Sunday, it's nice to know that we've gotten someone proven to step up

If Torain had stayed healthy more than likely wouldn't talking about Pittman getting more carries. I don't have problem with Pittman and I'm glad he is on the team but I don't think I'm doubtful he could a feature back for an entire season.

Den21vsBal19
10-10-2008, 08:03 PM
If Torain had stayed healthy more than likely wouldn't talking about Pittman getting more carries. I don't have problem with Pittman and I'm glad he is on the team but I don't think I'm doubtful he could a feature back for an entire season.
I agree whole heartedly.

IIRC, there were some youtube clips of Hillis toting the rock pretty effectively around the time we drafted him, maybe he'll get a few touches on Sunday, with Larsen lined up at FB

Superchop 7
10-10-2008, 08:07 PM
If he had more money he would probably start dealing drugs.

TXBRONC
10-10-2008, 08:11 PM
Any FA vet at league minium is generally going to be more expensive than any, save perhaps, a first rounder draft choice.. Frankly most of his best yards were left on Tampas football field. At 33 years old he does not have much left in the tank.. His comment about thinking he could get a 1000 yards is a prime indicator..

Building via the draft now that mikey has his head out of his rectum is the way to go.. You get cheaper contracts, for longer periods of time..

I said relatively speaking he's not an expensive veteran to have. And have lno doubt he is actually cheaper than some second round picks.

I'm not sure if you aware this or have just forgotten that Mike Anderson's last season in Denver he was 33 years old and still rushed for over 1000 yard in an rbbc just like Pittman is now.

Also if Shanahan was keen on having Pittman carry the ball 20 or more times game there was no reason to put Young and Hall ahead head of him. The fact is Jr Shanahan is very aware that he doesn't have one back who can carry the ball 20 plus times a game. Torain might be the answer if he can stay healthy but that probably wont be this year.

Your opinion may be that Shanahan has had his head up is rectum but it isn't mine. Besides if that were case he wouldn't be having the success that he has had to this point in fact he wouldn't be coaching.

By the way, how many Super Bowls have you won as a head coach in the NFL? How many games have you won as a head coach? And how many great draft picks have you made in the last 14 years?

TXBRONC
10-10-2008, 08:21 PM
I agree whole heartedly.

IIRC, there were some youtube clips of Hillis toting the rock pretty effectively around the time we drafted him, maybe he'll get a few touches on Sunday, with Larsen lined up at FB

Larsen and Hillis in the backfield at the same time would be quite a sight to see.

Den21vsBal19
10-10-2008, 08:28 PM
Larsen and Hillis in the backfield at the same time would be quite a sight to see.
To be honest, I was thinking of that as a possible goal line backfield back when it was first mooted that Larsen would see some time at FB during camp, y'know, just some bulk & strength to bang it up the middle.........

Anyways, I'm out............night :salute:

TXBRONC
10-10-2008, 08:58 PM
To be honest, I was thinking of that as a possible goal line backfield back when it was first mooted that Larsen would see some time at FB during camp, y'know, just some bulk & strength to bang it up the middle.........

Anyways, I'm out............night :salute:

Yeah it has crossed my mind as well.

gobroncsnv
10-10-2008, 09:55 PM

Pamplona formation???

(y'know, the running of the bulls???)

omac
10-10-2008, 10:18 PM
Pamplona formation???

(y'know, the running of the bulls???)

LOL, going deep with that eh? :lmao:

Broncolingus
10-10-2008, 11:38 PM
Selvin's going to see more 'bench' methinks...

Course, he'll just say it's because he's 'hurting'

War Pittman...

weazel
10-11-2008, 01:17 PM
he better see the ball more, he's the only one that looks explosive through his routes. I just hope he doesnt get the ball over 20 times, he will just get burned out and the explosiveness will be gone

TXBRONC
10-11-2008, 01:28 PM
he better see the ball more, he's the only one that looks explosive through his routes. I just hope he doesnt get the ball over 20 times, he will just get burned out and the explosiveness will be gone

I'm guessing that Pittman and Hall will split the carries about 50/50.

WhatEver!!!
10-11-2008, 08:15 PM
I do not want to see Pittman start for the Broncos but with the talent that we have at RB he has to. He was a monster against TB; running through, over, around, then through somemore.

I could see Pittman getting upwards of 20 carries. We will have to establish the run to beat the Jags. With Eddie and Tony out Brandon will have double coverage all night unless we shove the ball down their throats and punch them in the month. Pittman can do that for a quarter or two.

TXBRONC
10-11-2008, 09:11 PM
I do not want to see Pittman start for the Broncos but with the talent that we have at RB he has to. He was a monster against TB; running through, over, around, then through somemore.

I could see Pittman getting upwards of 20 carries. We will have to establish the run to beat the Jags. With Eddie and Tony out Brandon will have double coverage all night unless we shove the ball down their throats and punch them in the month. Pittman can do that for a quarter or two.

I think 20 carries would be the max that Shanahan would want him to get.

haroldthebarrel
10-11-2008, 09:16 PM
It's amazing how a great role player can make a difference for a team.
Because he can pass block and receive his role is nearly invaluable for the team.
His role in pass blocking even though all the linemen have been great.

It is very hard to get rid of players like Pittman and Graham because their value don't show up on stat sheets, yet when they are gone their presence is missed.

Don't know how he will do on sunday, but I am sure he will make an impact if not on the stat sheets it will anyway be a couple of great blocks on tape.

TXBRONC
10-11-2008, 09:20 PM
It's amazing how a great role player can make a difference for a team.
Because he can pass block and receive his role is nearly invaluable for the team.
His role in pass blocking even though all the linemen have been great.

It is very hard to get rid of players like Pittman and Graham because their value don't show up on stat sheets, yet when they are gone their presence is missed.

Don't know how he will do on sunday, but I am sure he will make an impact if not on the stat sheets it will anyway be a couple of great blocks on tape.

Here's to hoping he does make on the stat sheet. :beer:

Spider
10-11-2008, 10:05 PM
More then that though , Pittman is smaller then a true H back or a FB , stronger then a tailback and got softer hands coming out of the backfield , then a RB .... leathal combo against a 3-4 Defense ........