PDA

View Full Version : Tebow Not the QB for Elway

LTC Pain
04-03-2011, 09:28 PM
Not sure how anyone can come to this conclusion. John has not said this, suggested it or inferred it in any way, shape or form. I see the Broncos doing their draft homework at all positions, great need or not. If this appears as a "smokescreen" and causes teams needing a QB in the draft to call the Broncos with a deal then good for our team. I'm not buying this article a bit.

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/202520/report-tebow-is-not-the-qb-for-john-elway

Goose23
04-03-2011, 10:09 PM
I'm not buying this bill of goods. Kaepernick has as many questions concerning his ability to succeed at the next level as Tebow did when he entered the league, without the success at the collegiate level that Tebow had. Denver drafting Kaepernick at the top of the second round makes no sense whatsoever to this franchise.

MasterShake
04-03-2011, 10:41 PM
No, someone didn't just throw an outrageous headline out there to gain readership on a marketable player, did they? Sports writers have ethics, I REFUSE to believe he would just put an alarmist headline up with no backing to get more clicks on his story. They are held to a strict code of honor!

gregbroncs
04-03-2011, 11:01 PM
No, someone didn't just throw an outrageous headline out there to gain readership on a marketable player, did they? Sports writers have ethics, I REFUSE to believe he would just put an alarmist headline up with no backing to get more clicks on his story. They are held to a strict code of honor!

Usually the author does not title their own article. The people who write the titles seem to be willing to do anything to sell their paper.

MasterShake
04-04-2011, 07:27 AM
Usually the author does not title their own article. The people who write the titles seem to be willing to do anything to sell their paper.

Either way, the content is a reflection of the title. You get my point. :lol:

TXBRONC
04-04-2011, 08:44 AM
It depends on who the sources are. I don't know if Elway believes in Tebow or not but I do know he hasn't given any indication publicly that he doesn't. If it's true then it also means He doesn't think much of Orton or Quinn for that matter.

Day1BroncoFan
04-04-2011, 12:02 PM
I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens on draft day. That's what I'm doing anyway. :D

rcsodak
04-04-2011, 12:22 PM
Much ado about nothin'
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

BigSarge87
04-04-2011, 12:25 PM
This article is good for Denver. Just keeps people guessing. Elway is tearing it up as far as the PR battle goes. He's pretty good at being transparent without actually being transparent.

BigSarge87
04-04-2011, 12:27 PM
I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens on draft day. That's what I'm doing anyway. :D

Me too, but luckily other teams don't have that option. Elways is forcing them to take him seriously about taking a QB in the draft.

BroncoStud
04-04-2011, 01:05 PM
I'm a Locker fan myself, I would mind to see us trade back and pick up an additional 1st rounder and grab a DT and Locker. I think he is the sort of talent that can carry a team.

rcsodak
04-04-2011, 01:07 PM
Me too, but luckily other teams don't have that option. Elways is forcing them to take him seriously about taking a QB in the draft.
Well, if you listen to AZ's HC, NONE of the qb's in this draft are worth moving up for, let alone spending a high #1 on.

MileHighCrew
04-04-2011, 01:13 PM
Well, if you listen to AZ's HC, NONE of the qb's in this draft are worth moving up for, let alone spending a high #1 on.

Considering what he did with the Card's QB situation last year, I would think that is an outstanding recommendation for this years class.

BigSarge87
04-04-2011, 03:03 PM

Well, someone needs to tell him to shut his effin mouth! This is the best group of QB's in the history of mankind! They are all well worth at least 2 future 1st round picks!

rcsodak
04-04-2011, 06:37 PM
Well, someone needs to tell him to shut his effin mouth! This is the best group of QB's in the history of mankind! They are all well worth at least 2 future 1st round picks!
Just think if a team offered their #1 next year....

...and there isn't one!

That....would...kinda....suck.

vettesplus
04-04-2011, 07:43 PM
i have said it many times and i will say it again, i truly believe tt will not be a Denver bronco this next season. he is not what this organization is looking for in a QB. not sure what they are looking for but it is not tt...

BroncoBJ
04-04-2011, 07:49 PM
I'm a Locker fan myself, I would mind to see us trade back and pick up an additional 1st rounder and grab a DT and Locker. I think he is the sort of talent that can carry a team.

If we were to draft a QB, Locker is the last one I want. Guy is a loser. What has he ever accomplished in college? Guy won't ammount to anything.

rcsodak
04-04-2011, 09:48 PM
If we were to draft a QB, Locker is the last one I want. Guy is a loser. What has he ever accomplished in college? Guy won't ammount to anything.

Is fast, ran a pro set.....umm....beat USC......

....is fast....

HORSEPOWER 56
04-04-2011, 09:55 PM
Is fast, ran a pro set.....umm....beat USC......

....is fast....

Is inaccurate... throws a worse ball than Tebow or Quinn...

If we actually are foolish enough to draft a QB it better be Christian Ponder and it better be in the second round. Short of Mallett, Ponder is the only guy who's pro-ready. Mallett is a statue with a cannon, Ponder could be at least maybe end up another Jake Plummer type...

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that both Newton and Gabbert will be TERRIBLE in the pros.

silkamilkamonico
04-04-2011, 10:15 PM
Locker is like a poor version of Tim Tebow who can't win.

IMHO, if I was a franchise building for the future desperately looking for a leader, there isn't a QB in this entire draft that I would take in the top 2 rounds, with the exception of Mallet (late 2nd). possibly the worst QB prospects...ever.

HORSEPOWER 56
04-04-2011, 10:22 PM
Locker is like a poor version of Tim Tebow who can't win.

IMHO, if I was a franchise building for the future desperately looking for a leader, there isn't a QB in this entire draft that I would take in the top 2 rounds, with the exception of Mallet (late 2nd). possibly the worst QB prospects...ever.

I couldn't agree more about Mallet. I do think Ponder has some potential. His problem has always been his health. Had he not been injured so much in college, he'd easily be a first rounder.

BTW, I got rid of the double post for you. :beer:

rcsodak
04-04-2011, 10:43 PM
Is inaccurate... throws a worse ball than Tebow or Quinn...

If we actually are foolish enough to draft a QB it better be Christian Ponder and it better be in the second round. Short of Mallett, Ponder is the only guy who's pro-ready. Mallett is a statue with a cannon, Ponder could be at least maybe end up another Jake Plummer type...

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that both Newton and Gabbert will be TERRIBLE in the pros.

lol
What, of my post, was inaccurate? :confused:

sneakers
04-04-2011, 11:15 PM
Unless someone doesn't catch Elway in the act of fapping to Tebows underwear ads, in some people's eyes they will take that as Elway not wanting Tebow.

HORSEPOWER 56
04-04-2011, 11:18 PM
lol
What, of my post, was inaccurate? :confused:

Not you, bud... Locker is inaccurate. you left off with ...is fast... so I added ...is inaccurate.

I think his completion % in college was in the low 50s. That's just bad. especially playing in a defensively crappy Pac-10.

He's athletic, but he an even worse passer than Tebow or Quinn without the success in college to go along with it.

topscribe
04-04-2011, 11:25 PM
Elway has made it clear that he is not at this point enthralled with Tebow as a quarterback.
So has Fox. They both have also stated that they are not sure they have a franchise
quarterback on the roster. So the allegations that noises have come out of Dove Valley
that they are not necessarily happy with the QB situation may be more true than we think . . .

-----

HORSEPOWER 56
04-04-2011, 11:38 PM
Elway has made it clear that he is not at this point enthralled with Tebow as a quarterback.
So has Fox. They both have also stated that they are not sure they have a franchise
quarterback on the roster. So the allegations that noises have come out of Dove Valley
that they are not necessarily happy with the QB situation may be more true than we think . . .

-----

The problem is, I don't think this is the draft year to really do anything about it. IMO, the majority of the QBs in this class are fool's gold.

topscribe
04-04-2011, 11:52 PM
The problem is, I don't think this is the draft year to really do anything about it. IMO, the majority of the QBs in this class are fool's gold.

Well, HP, I do like Locker, and Mallet probably is the best pure passer of the lot.
Those guys might be worth a gamble to a team that desperately needs a QB
and has a defense in place.

The Broncos are in neither situation. IMO, they should think defense. Period.

But then, what do I know? :shrugs:

-----

HORSEPOWER 56
04-05-2011, 12:20 AM
Well, HP, I do like Locker, and Mallet probably is the best pure passer of the lot.
Those guys might be worth a gamble to a team that desperately needs a QB
and has a defense in place.

The Broncos are in neither situation. IMO, they should think defense. Period.

But then, what do I know? :shrugs:

-----

Obviously, you know what I know. :beer:

rcsodak
04-05-2011, 06:56 AM
Not you, bud... Locker is inaccurate. you left off with ...is fast... so I added ...is inaccurate.

I think his completion % in college was in the low 50s. That's just bad. especially playing in a defensively crappy Pac-10.

He's athletic, but he an even worse passer than Tebow or Quinn without the success in college to go along with it.
Gotcha.
But listening to his HC, he lacked any talent to throw to, and beat better talented teams.

Eh.....anyhoo, I don't see them going qb anyways.

rcsodak
04-05-2011, 12:24 PM
Adam schein just suggested NE might be looking at a replacement for Brady in this draft...and suggested Ponder, as he is buds with florida.
But he also brought up a possibility in a qb who he thinks is "VERY much available".....in Tim Tebow.

SOCALORADO.
04-05-2011, 01:11 PM
Write up on Locker....

Pros
#1. Arm Strength
Locker has an arm strong enough to put a tight spiral on deep passes, despite playing in the blustery Pacific Northwest. He can throw a reasonably accurate pass about 60 to 65 yards.

Several reports indicate that Locker has been clocked by baseball scouts throwing in the 90 to 95 mile per hour range. (Drafted by Anaheim twice! They own his rights)

Locker does need to learn how to throw the ball with better touch. On short and intermediate routes, he frequently rockets the ball at the receiver much harder than it needs to be. This leads to deflections or missed catches, particularly if the receiver uses their body to make the catch.

#2. Experience in Adverse Weather
Locker has regularly played through high wind, rain, and snow. The experience should serve him well if he's drafted by a northern franchise.

#3. Leadership
Locker received a team captaincy twice, with the 1st coming in the 2009 season and the 2nd in 2010. He was also awarded the Guy Flaherty Most Inspirational Award at the conclusion of the 2009 season.

#4. Athleticism
With excellent speed and quickness for a quarterback, Locker is capable of scrambling for a big play. His speed is believed to be in the 4.5 range. He is able to juke or dodge a defender, but isn't quite agile enough to escape some of the faster linebackers and secondary players.

Locker measures in at 6'3" and a sturdy 230 pounds. Although he can outrun most defensive linemen and linebackers, he will initiate contact if a defender is coming up to make the tackle.

Cons
#1. Sloppy Fundamentals
Despite playing since his freshman year, Locker still has a number of issues with his fundamentals and throwing mechanics. In particular, his footwork needs considerable attention. Because Locker frequently fails to set his feet solidly, his passes land inconsistently. Receivers have to stretch to make the catch. This slows them down and prevents them from gaining much yardage after the catch. Most of the issues with his fundamentals are correctable, but it could take some time.

#2. Poor Reads of the Defense
Locker needs to improve his vision of the field. He frequently will lock on his 1st read until the receiver gets open or the play breaks down, allowing defenders to make an interception or knock the pass away. At this time, Locker is not suited to go into a scheme that requires him to make multiple complicated reads. Locker will occasionally ignore the defensive coverage and throw a ball to a receiver facing double coverage. He'll need to learn to rein in some of his aggressiveness.

#3. Desire for Contact and Injuries
Although Locker's dual threat abilities are an asset, he frequently refuses to slide. He's too willing to initiate or accept contact from a defender. Most NFL teams will not want Locker to take more hits than necessary. The roster limits are much more stringent than in college and there are fewer capable backup quarterbacks. Locker's aggressive running style led to several injuries during his career. These included a broken thumb, broken ribs, a neck sprain, and torn ligaments.

#4. Lack of Accuracy
In the past 2 seasons, Locker has completion percentages of 58.2% for the 2009 season and 55.4% for the 2010 season. Locker has never had a season where he's completed more than 60% of his passes. The lack of accuracy is a significant concern. Most quarterbacks will not be able to improve their completion percentage much over the course of their career without years of practice and hard work.

Opinion
Locker's poor senior season is sharply contrasted by his stellar junior season. He has a considerable upside, but a quarterbacks coach will need to be extremely patient with him. All of Locker's deficiencies should be fairly correctable and he hasn't had any problems off the field.
Although I think Locker is still a likely 1st round pick, his play in 2010 has turned him in a middle or late 1st round draft pick. I think his best draft value will be late in the 1st round or early in the 2nd round.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/6251324/2011_nfl_draft_jake_locker_pros_and.html?cat=14

Dzone
04-05-2011, 03:14 PM
Well, according to this article, Tebowmania is done in Denver is John Horseface Elway gets his way. Look for Tebow to be shipped of ala Peyton Hillis
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/654216-john-elway-doesnt-think-tim-tebow-is-the-broncos-qb-of-the-future

GEM
04-05-2011, 03:18 PM
Well, according to this article, Tebowmania is done in Denver is John Horseface Elway gets his way. Look for Tebow to be shipped of ala Peyton Hillis
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/654216-john-elway-doesnt-think-tim-tebow-is-the-broncos-qb-of-the-future

Bleacher Report....nothing to see here, folks.

:lol:

Denver Native (Carol)
04-05-2011, 03:24 PM
Bleacher Report....nothing to see here, folks.

:lol:

Guess not everyone knows that anyone can write for Bleacher Report :lol:

rcsodak
04-05-2011, 03:38 PM
Guess not everyone knows that anyone can write for Bleacher Report :lol:SNAP! :eek:

GEM
04-05-2011, 03:39 PM
Guess not everyone knows that anyone can write for Bleacher Report :lol:

I could write a report that the Chiefs changed their team colors to purple and green and print it up in that joint. :lol:

JaxBroncoGirl
04-05-2011, 04:18 PM
I think we should chill on Elway. He has been keeping his thoughts close to his chest. I personally do not think he is all that on Tebow. I think we owe it to the players and the franchise to give Tebow a chance for 1 year. See what happens with the team. We need other positions locked in. QB should be the last on our list right now.

KCL
04-05-2011, 04:40 PM
I could write a report that the Chiefs changed their team colors to purple and green and print it up in that joint. :lol:

Yikes.......:lol:

KCL
04-05-2011, 04:52 PM

Can't say I've ever read/heard a Bronco fan call Elway "horseface"...thought that was for us rival fans.

Ravage!!!
04-05-2011, 05:40 PM
Can't say I've ever read/heard a Bronco fan call Elway "horseface"...thought that was for us rival fans.

Only when you are a Tebow fan, first.

topscribe
04-05-2011, 10:44 PM

You might see/hear that from some pseudo-Broncos fans/defacto Tebow
groupies, should Tebow not start this next season . . .

----

TXBRONC
04-05-2011, 10:57 PM
I think we should chill on Elway. He has been keeping his thoughts close to his chest. I personally do not think he is all that on Tebow. I think we owe it to the players and the franchise to give Tebow a chance for 1 year. See what happens with the team. We need other positions locked in. QB should be the last on our list right now.

If Denver takes a quaterback in this draft I don't think it will be early.

BigSarge87
04-06-2011, 05:58 PM
If Denver takes a quaterback in this draft I don't think it will be early.

It can't be, the 1st round is now a primetime evening event. Bada Bing!

BigSarge87
04-06-2011, 05:59 PM

I double-dog dare you.

TXBRONC
04-06-2011, 10:42 PM
It can't be, the 1st round is now a primetime evening event. Bada Bing!

Comedy is not your calling mate. :D