PDA

View Full Version : Once a Weakness Now a Strength

TXBRONC
10-09-2008, 08:55 PM
I know we've talked about this before but our offensive line is just flat out amazing. Two sacks in five games and one of those as Jim Armstrong points out is more of a technicality. What really blows my mind is Clady coming in and from the get go playing like a seasoned veteran. Anyway here's an article from the D.P. that you might enjoy.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_10681129

Two sacks allowed? Can't be, but it is
By Jim Armstrong
The Denver Post
Article Last Updated: 10/09/2008 06:12:57 PM MDT

To say the Broncos were surprised that Ryan Clady was available 11 picks into the NFL draft would be like saying the economy is a little sluggish.

As in, it would be a huge understatement.

When Clady still was sitting there at No. 12, the Broncos didn't listen to any offers. They wrote his name on a piece of paper, called him on the phone and breathed a collective sigh of relief.

In the process, they may have secured Jay Cutler's blindside for the next decade.

Clady has lived up to every expectation, and that's saying something, what with Mike Shanahan having ordained him a starter moments after the draft. And while we're on the subject, the rest of the Broncos' offensive line isn't exactly disappointing, either.

This is getting downright amazing. Through five games, the Broncos have allowed two sacks. And one was more technicality than real, live sack. You remember the play. It was when Cutler fumbled vs. the Chargers, only to have referee Ed Hochuli save the Broncos' bacon with an inexplicable whistle.

Other than that play, the Broncos' line has allowed one sack. One. I'm not going to say it doesn't get any better than that, but it doesn't get any better than that. Not with all that speed and quickness coming off the corner every Sunday.

For all the Broncos' defensive issues, their offensive line has emerged as a major strength. Cutler for the most part has time to spot receivers and gun the ball downfield. Good thing, because if the Broncos are going to go places this season, he's going to have to keep doing it.

Follow Jim Armstrong's sports updates on The Jimmy Page morning and afternoon Monday-Friday. And read his columns on Sundays at denverpost.com/jimmy.

He can be reached at 303-954-1269 or jmarmstrong@denverpost.com.

honz
10-09-2008, 10:30 PM
That is pretty incredible...1 true sack through 5 games. Wow.

Ziggy
10-09-2008, 10:36 PM
It is amazing, and the thing that impresses me the most isn't even mentioned in the article. Clady isn't being babysat by Graham often at all. The Broncos are leaving him to block his man one on one most of time, even on passing downs. The rookie is playing like Zimmerman already. He's handling stunts, speedrushers, power rushers, and LB blitzes.

omac
10-09-2008, 11:00 PM
In one game, the sportscasters were impressed with Clady's pass protection and did a slomo of the previous play, focussing on Clady. Then they got a chuckle when they saw he actually held the opponents facemask. :D

That's when it really hit me. Clady is not playing like some rookie; he's playing like a vet who knows the tricks. I can't remember who said this, I think it was a left tackle. The coach said something like "what's with the holding calls?", and he said, "coach, I'm always holding." :D

Clady's big, fast, athletic, tough, sneaky, and has some "meanness" in him. Just perfect! :cool:

omac
10-09-2008, 11:02 PM

And if I remember correctly, not from Clady's side.

honz
10-09-2008, 11:03 PM

I think it was Hamilton that got beat, but I'm not positive.

omac
10-09-2008, 11:07 PM
I think it was Hamilton that got beat, but I'm not positive.

Oh, ok. :D

gobroncsnv
10-09-2008, 11:09 PM
And we've played against some pretty good dlines, including the first teamers in pre-season, vis a vis Dallas... But in real time, we'd be darn grateful to have allowed only 2 sacks in a GAME against either SD or Tampa. Clady and Harris are just doing a fabulous job, especially since Cut-man's health is going to dictate alot of our story for a number of years to come. Weigmann, Kupe, and the Ham-ster have been just as good. They may need to tweak things a bit in run-blocking, but we seem to be picking up our 3rd/4th and shorts MUCH better than last year, even when we run it. PittMan has his own thread, so that's covered, but ya gotta give it up for this year's oline. HALF of our LOS problems are pretty well handled. Now, the D, let's see if they can build on what they did last game.

TXBRONC
10-10-2008, 08:00 AM

To me the most impressive part of that is the fact that Clady is rookie protecting Jay's blind side and Harris is playing a new position.

TXBRONC
10-10-2008, 09:10 AM

I think you're right. I don't think Clady has given up a sack to this point in the season.

slim
10-10-2008, 09:14 AM
I think you're right. I don't think Clady has given up a sack to this point in the season.

I unjinx your jinx.

TXBRONC
10-10-2008, 09:30 AM
I unjinx your jinx.

I wonder if I should remove the post altogether? :confused:

Lonestar
10-10-2008, 10:22 AM
I have to admit I was less than enthused about clady in particular and the OLINE in general going into this season..

But they have played well considering we have two rookies playing the tackle spot, a new center and a new to position RG.. the only person playing at his original spot is Hamilton who at this point seems to be the weak link on the OLINE..

It took KC almost 3-4 years to get the continuity on there OLINE and then once in place they had the best OLINE for nearly 15 years until it crumbled last couple of years when all the perennial all pros started getting hurt and REALLY old..

I use the term rookie for Harris because the number of professional snaps he has taken last year could be counted on someones hands and feet.. I think he has been the biggest surprise.. I just have to wonder had Holland reported to camp in condition, I think Kuper would have been the starter instead of Harris..

I have to admit I was wrong as I saw the OLINE as a huge weakness till about the bye week, at which point everyone would know the name of the guy next to him..

Little did I think that this conglomeration could come together this fast and not allow 20 sacks by now..

Now lets see if they can get the ZBS scheme down and allow the running game to flourish.. Which while decent is nothing like year past..

broncobryce
10-10-2008, 11:14 AM
Jim armstrong is still a turd. He wrote an article "rivers top gun in the west". Then last sunday during the chat I asked him if he still felt that way and he pointed to Rivers starting record and was arguing for Rivers! I asked him if he ever heard of LT.

BroncoWave
10-11-2008, 04:44 PM
I have to admit I was less than enthused about clady in particular and the OLINE in general going into this season..

But they have played well considering we have two rookies playing the tackle spot, a new center and a new to position RG.. the only person playing at his original spot is Hamilton who at this point seems to be the weak link on the OLINE..

It took KC almost 3-4 years to get the continuity on there OLINE and then once in place they had the best OLINE for nearly 15 years until it crumbled last couple of years when all the perennial all pros started getting hurt and REALLY old..

I use the term rookie for Harris because the number of professional snaps he has taken last year could be counted on someones hands and feet.. I think he has been the biggest surprise.. I just have to wonder had Holland reported to camp in condition, I think Kuper would have been the starter instead of Harris..

I have to admit I was wrong as I saw the OLINE as a huge weakness till about the bye week, at which point everyone would know the name of the guy next to him..

Little did I think that this conglomeration could come together this fast and not allow 20 sacks by now..

Now lets see if they can get the ZBS scheme down and allow the running game to flourish.. Which while decent is nothing like year past..

I have to give you credit JR. I know that took A LOT for you to actually say something positive about your favorite football team! :beer:

haroldthebarrel
10-11-2008, 05:32 PM

I kinda have this feeling that if Torain gets back, he will have a couple of pretty decent games, and then he will explode.
Wonder if it will happen, regardless the lack of rushing seems more dependent upon not calling it enough rather than lack of talent to do it.

Broncolingus
10-11-2008, 06:56 PM
O-line is playing VERY well this year...

War Denver's O-line for 2008...

On the side, and in no way related to this thread at all, I really like Ashley Force and so should you.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/fisherwy/RvZFQYpBGYI/AAAAAAAAI2M/ZyW5yr5be7Q/NHRA+driver+Ashley+Force+named+hottest+athlete%5B2 %5D.jpg

Lonestar
10-11-2008, 07:22 PM
I have to give you credit JR. I know that took A LOT for you to actually say something positive about your favorite football team! :beer:

I guess you do not know me as well as you thought.. I tell the Truth no matter what the issue.. Never been known to pull a punch..

The OLINE should be fixed for a decade or more once we replace Hamilton and Nalen with younger players.. I was hoping Licthensteiger would have been used instead of the chef geezer to make this a one year change over instead of two or three.. the longer the core OLINE plays together the faster and better they become..

I'd rather bit the bullet this years with everyone getting to know each other so next year when the D gets fixed we could go all the way to the SB and win..

Right now I have no idea who they plan to replace hamilton with.. Really thought it would have been Kuper.. But when they cut Holland loose it busted up my projected OLINE..

Sassy
10-11-2008, 07:49 PM
Speaking of strengths...NFLN guys gave props to Denvers ST's today...had high praise and credited the Broncos being 4-1 in part to Prater and Kern!

Sassy
10-11-2008, 07:55 PM
I didn't realize that Prater's longest FG...the 56 yarder wasn't even at Invesco...it was at Arrowhead! We have one heck of a kicker replacing Jason!

WhatEver!!!
10-11-2008, 07:59 PM
The Oline is playing very well on passing downs. As a runblocking line I believe it needs improvement. Everyone used to say, "Anyone can run behind that Line". Can we say that NOW???

BUT it is an awesome line only allowing 2 sacks -- 1 being a unfumble so really only one sack.

TXBRONC
10-11-2008, 08:00 PM
I didn't realize that Prater's longest FG...the 56 yarder wasn't even at Invesco...it was at Arrowhead! We have one heck of a kicker replacing Jason!

Yeah I knew his longest kick so far was at Arrowhead. I'm sure it wont be long before his longest kick comes at Invesco.

Simple Jaded
10-11-2008, 08:01 PM
Graham still stays in to help quite a bit, he's just not helping Clady very often......

TXBRONC
10-11-2008, 08:11 PM
Graham still stays in to help quite a bit, he's just not helping Clady very often......

Shoot I don't know if Graham is even having to help Clady when he is line up or motions to Clady's side.

Simple Jaded
10-11-2008, 08:18 PM
Shoot I don't know if Graham is even having to help Clady when he is line up or motions to Clady's side.

I can't remember Clady getting any help, to be quite honest, hopefully he keeps it up *knock on wood*, most rookies have up and downs......

topscribe
10-11-2008, 08:58 PM
I guess you do not know me as well as you thought.. I tell the Truth no matter what the issue.. Never been known to pull a punch..

The OLINE should be fixed for a decade or more once we replace Hamilton and Nalen with younger players.. I was hoping Licthensteiger would have been used instead of the chef geezer to make this a one year change over instead of two or three.. the longer the core OLINE plays together the faster and better they become..

I'd rather bit the bullet this years with everyone getting to know each other so next year when the D gets fixed we could go all the way to the SB and win..

Right now I have no idea who they plan to replace hamilton with.. Really thought it would have been Kuper.. But when they cut Holland loose it busted up my projected OLINE..

Hammy's only 31, and he had a full year for bodily recovery and rejuvenation.
I don't think we'll have to worry about his replacement for a couple years or so.

I have a bigger concern regarding center. Until now, Hamilton was the backup
to Nalen. But I would think the Broncos would be hard pressed to break up
what has been successful so far. I'm hoping Lichtensteiger is what the have
cracked him up to be. I understand he has a mean streak, which is encouraging.

-----

Lonestar
10-12-2008, 12:00 AM
Hammy's only 31, and he had a full year for bodily recovery and rejuvenation.
I don't think we'll have to worry about his replacement for a couple years or so.

I have a bigger concern regarding center. Until now, Hamilton was the backup
to Nalen. But I would think the Broncos would be hard pressed to break up
what has been successful so far. I'm hoping Lichtensteiger is what the have
cracked him up to be. I understand he has a mean streak, which is encouraging.

-----

all well and Good for Hamilton but he is one head slap away from permanent brain damage.. I'd like to see him around but in a back up mode for both center and OLG. Get the new kids all working together as soon as they can.. makes for better anticipation for the guy next to him..

Can he play another 4 years? 6years?

IMHO it is time to get a bigger guy in there and let him improve the inside running game with a bit more beef and nastiness..