PDA

View Full Version : John Elway willing to make bold move

Ravage!!!
04-03-2011, 07:13 PM
John Elway willing to make bold move
Broncos' boss evaluating QB class, perhaps distancing himself from Tim Tebow pick

Probably the most surprising revelation of last week involved the Denver Broncos.

John Elway, the Broncos' executive vice president of football operations, revealed why he and his staff are looking at quarterbacks. His interest, he said, is not a smoke screen. The Broncos are going to study the top seven quarterbacks in this draft.

Writes Kyle from Henderson, N.C.: "John Elway has proven himself to be a very savvy businessman, from car dealerships, to real estate, to refusing to play for the Colts. Is the quarterback recruiting the Broncos are making public a form of this? A smoke screen effect, perhaps? And what are the chances Tim Tebow will be the starter next year? I can't take another year of Kyle Orton."

Continued story..

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=6286514

Ravage!!!
04-03-2011, 07:15 PM
I still don't think they will take one with the No. 2 pick in the draft. What I like about Elway is that he recognizes he has some issues at quarterback. He's bold enough to think Tebow isn't the answer. That's smart..."

Ziggy
04-03-2011, 07:53 PM
I heard Xanders speaking in an interview on the radio a week or 2 ago. He threw out that the Broncos are looking at every position not only for the draft this year, but when these players hit free agency in 4 years or so. He didn't come right out and say that the Broncos aren't taking a QB at the 2 spot, but reading between the lines, there are other reasons to look at QB's coming out in this year's draft.

elsid13
04-03-2011, 08:04 PM
I heard Xanders speaking in an interview on the radio a week or 2 ago. He threw out that the Broncos are looking at every position not only for the draft this year, but when these players hit free agency in 4 years or so. He didn't come right out and say that the Broncos aren't taking a QB at the 2 spot, but reading between the lines, there are other reasons to look at QB's coming out in this year's draft.

That line of thinking makes no sense. If the guys are any good they won't see FA. The FO is looking to see if there QB they feel will raise this team to the next level. If Locker or Ponder is sitting there in the 2nd I can see them going after one them.

Ziggy
04-03-2011, 08:07 PM
That line of thinking makes no sense. If the guys are any good they won't see FA. The FO is looking to see if there QB they feel will raise this team to the next level. If Locker or Ponder is sitting there in the 2nd I can see them going after one them.

Tell that to Saints fans.

Northman
04-03-2011, 08:08 PM
If this is truly the case with the #2 pick than shame on John.

Chris90210
04-03-2011, 08:12 PM
in elway we trust:salute:

elsid13
04-03-2011, 08:26 PM
Tell that to Saints fans.

Brees was the exception not the rule. And even he had major concerns because of what Denver did to his shoulder.

Ziggy
04-03-2011, 08:45 PM
Brees may have been the exception, but the point is, that there is always talent out there in free agency, and Denver would be wise to start scouting players as they come out of college. It not only gives them a head start on the free agency evaluation process, but it helps refine the scouting process.

Juriga72
04-03-2011, 08:54 PM
32nd ranked defense.........

"Lets take a QB"....lmao

Lonestar
04-04-2011, 12:47 AM
Some fail to realize that trades are also an option as are folks being cut. With the record we have only Carolina can trump us.

Manny different reasons for knowing what is out there.

Might be able to trade back and pick up some more picks which may make it easier to pu players later.

As for what John thinks of Tebow he seems to be keeping that close to his vest.

Guess we will know for sure on April 30th or so.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

Davii
04-04-2011, 01:00 AM
I think I would be rather upset if the Broncos draft a QB. We might not have the answer at QB, but we certainly don't have the answer in many places on defense. With as deep as this draft is on D linemen we can get some very good quality starters, and have a much more solid foundation than we have for a VERY long time.

We don't need a QB right now, if we do in the future then we deal with it then. Tebow certainly has not yet proven himself, but I do believe he has earned the chance to do so.

There is no guarantees that ANY of these guys is better than Tim, Kyle, or even Brady. Why take a flyer on a position that isn't nearly as needy as others?

We might not have the long term answer, the point is, we don't know if we do or not. Draft what we KNOW we need.

Lonestar
04-04-2011, 02:17 AM
Good post D.

I like ro think that a FQB is way overated. And how many of the past sour bowl winners outside Indy drafted a QB that high.
Brady nope
Brees nope.
The other manning yep. But as all know the defense carried that team.
Rogers iirc was a first rounder but 25+.
The guy in BAL noPe.

Farve and Elway yep but we all know that John had to have TD in the backfield to seal the deal.
So just how many FQB have won it all in the last almost 20'years.
Or in TPA, defenses won about half the last
NE is a team winner.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
04-04-2011, 02:25 AM
John Elway willing to make bold move
Broncos' boss evaluating QB class, perhaps distancing himself from Tim Tebow pick

Probably the most surprising revelation of last week involved the Denver Broncos.

John Elway, the Broncos' executive vice president of football operations, revealed why he and his staff are looking at quarterbacks. His interest, he said, is not a smoke screen. The Broncos are going to study the top seven quarterbacks in this draft.

Writes Kyle from Henderson, N.C.: "John Elway has proven himself to be a very savvy businessman, from car dealerships, to real estate, to refusing to play for the Colts. Is the quarterback recruiting the Broncos are making public a form of this? A smoke screen effect, perhaps? And what are the chances Tim Tebow will be the starter next year? I can't take another year of Kyle Orton."

Continued story..

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=6286514

I'm still not buying it. John likes poker. This could very well just be his poker face...."no, I'm not bluffing".

BTW, yes, he really likes poker.

Ravage!!!
04-04-2011, 08:32 AM
Good post D.

I like ro think that a FQB is way overated. And how many of the past sour bowl winners outside Indy drafted a QB that high.
Brady nope
Brees nope.
The guy in BAL noPe.

Farve and Elway yep but we all know that John had to have TD in the backfield to seal the deal.
NE is a team winner.

Going by this logic, we shouldn't draft anyone. How many of any of the last 20 Super Bowls have ANY player picked 1 or 2? :lol:

If, in your opinion, defenses "won" about half the others, then guess what side won the other half! :lol:

Also.. NE isn't more of a TEAM winner than anyone else.

Tned
04-04-2011, 08:32 AM
I think I would be rather upset if the Broncos draft a QB. We might not have the answer at QB, but we certainly don't have the answer in many places on defense. With as deep as this draft is on D linemen we can get some very good quality starters, and have a much more solid foundation than we have for a VERY long time.

We don't need a QB right now, if we do in the future then we deal with it then. Tebow certainly has not yet proven himself, but I do believe he has earned the chance to do so.

There is no guarantees that ANY of these guys is better than Tim, Kyle, or even Brady. Why take a flyer on a position that isn't nearly as needy as others?

We might not have the long term answer, the point is, we don't know if we do or not. Draft what we KNOW we need.

Agreed. Even if Tebow isn't the answer, the defense has to be fixed or we would have trouble winning with a 28 year old Elway under center.

While I think this is mostly a bluff tied to some trade down strategy, I do keep going back to the comment that Elway made about picking an impact player at #2 that would help for a decade, because they wouldn't be picking in that spot again (or something like that -- I think it was Elway and not Fox/Xanders that said it).

So, my gut tells me that they won't pick a QB in the first round, I wouldn't be surprised to see them take a QB in the mid rounds, or even one in the 2nd if they see one of the QBs they like slip deep into the 2nd.

SOCALORADO.
04-04-2011, 08:43 AM
I could see Elway looking at a situation where he thinks that Locker has a much higher ceiling as a QB compared to TT.
And maybe he is looking at trading TT in the 2nd round to JVille which would have an immediate impact on the Jags revenue in ticket and jersey sales and allow DEN to get another 2nd round pick. DEN would have 3 2nd rounders, and with the 1st one they take Locker. Of course Locker has to be there in the 2nd.
So DEN still takes Dareus in the 1st, Locker with the 1st 2nd, and have 2 more 2nds to play with. Jax gets its hometown guy.

This is what i personally see as the scenario the DEN FO is playing with.

claymore
04-04-2011, 08:58 AM
I could see Elway looking at a situation where he thinks that Locker has a much higher ceiling as a QB compared to TT.
And maybe he is looking at trading TT in the 2nd round to JVille which would have an immediate impact on the Jags revenue in ticket and jersey sales and allow DEN to get another 2nd round pick. DEN would have 3 2nd rounders, and with the 1st one they take Locker. Of course Locker has to be there in the 2nd.
So DEN still takes Dareus in the 1st, Locker with the 1st 2nd, and have 2 more 2nds to play with. Jax gets its hometown guy.

This is what i personally see as the scenario the DEN FO is playing with.
Agreed,

Lets not rule out trading TT. If we could get a second a future second for him I think we should.

TXBRONC
04-04-2011, 09:03 AM

Orton is a good quarterback but I don't see him staying much beyond next season. Imho he just not the kind of quarterback you build a team around nor is Quinn.

UnderArmour
04-04-2011, 09:03 AM
This is a smokescreen. If we were actually interested in taking a quarterback, why would we be leaking info like this? IMO, there is a defensive player or an offensive tackle we covet at the end of the first that we're willing to trade up for.

TXBRONC
04-04-2011, 09:05 AM
Agreed. Even if Tebow isn't the answer, the defense has to be fixed or we would have trouble winning with a 28 year old Elway under center.

While I think this is mostly a bluff tied to some trade down strategy, I do keep going back to the comment that Elway made about picking an impact player at #2 that would help for a decade, because they wouldn't be picking in that spot again (or something like that -- I think it was Elway and not Fox/Xanders that said it).

So, my gut tells me that they won't pick a QB in the first round, I wouldn't be surprised to see them take a QB in the mid rounds, or even one in the 2nd if they see one of the QBs they like slip deep into the 2nd.

I wouldn't be bothered by taking a quarterback in the mid rounds although we are missing picks in both the 4th and 5th rounds right?

BroncoJoe
04-04-2011, 09:06 AM
http://blog.forgingfire.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/smoke-lrg.jpg

TXBRONC
04-04-2011, 09:07 AM
This is a smokescreen. If we were actually interested in taking a quarterback, why would we be leaking info like this? IMO, there is a defensive player or an offensive tackle we covet at the end of the first that we're willing to trade up for.

What do we have to hide? Aren't most of our orignal picks near the top of each round?

TXBRONC
04-04-2011, 09:14 AM
Good post D.

Brady nope
Brees nope.
The guy in BAL noPe.

NE is a team winner.

4 of the last 6 quarterbacks to win the Superbowl were first round picks. Roethlisberger, Eli Manning, Peyton Manning, and Aaron Rogers. I'm pretty sure everyone of them is considered a franchise quarterback.

BigSarge87
04-04-2011, 09:36 AM
I love this. He's changed the perception that Denver is going defense early and often to "WTF? Maybe they are going to take the QB we want". No one has an effing clue what Elway is going to do and that will create as many options as possible as the draft gets closer.

More options = better chance to improve the team. Don't ya think?

UnderArmour
04-04-2011, 10:00 AM
What do we have to hide? Aren't most of our orignal picks near the top of each round?

Looking around the NFL, there are SEVERAL teams with serious needs at quarterback. The Bengals, Panthers, Titans, Cardinals, Vikings, Seahawks, 49ers, Jaguars(?), Redskins, Dolphins, and Bills all are in the market for quarterbacks. Due to the lack of free agency, the draft is the safest avenue to go right now. If we are supposedly "in the mix" for a quarterback, all of those teams now will be put in positions where they have to trade up to get "their guy" due to our draft positioning. Add to the fact that Brady Quinn, Kyle Orton, or Tim Tebow would be entrenched as starters for any of those NFL teams I listed right now(except maybe Jacksonville) and the front office has effectively cornered the quarterback market. There is nothing to lose from us forcing teams to trade up.

underrated29
04-04-2011, 10:19 AM
guys we are not trading tebow..

first, we can not trade a player for picks, so the jax thing just is not going to happen. Second, we are not going to trade a guy who we spent a 1st and other picks on for a 2nd rd pick after only 3 starts and the season he had. Third, it has always been KO on the trade block. Always has, always will, they have publicly come out and said TT will NOT be traded. They never backed Orton that way.

We will probably be taking a QB early-think 2nd/3rd rounds. Not to replace TT-but everyone will gasp and start the rumors that TT is going to get replaced by a 2nd round QB. We will be doing it because Brad Quinn Blows ass and one we either trade KO or let him walk we will not have another QB on our roster. So we will take one, and more than likely he will be the backup to TT, but he could beat him out and that would also be a win.

But TT is not going anywhere and we are not drafting his replacement. We are drafting a backup who can compete to try and replace him.

underrated29
04-04-2011, 10:21 AM
4 of the last 6 quarterbacks to win the Superbowl were first round picks. Roethlisberger, Eli Manning, Peyton Manning, and Aaron Rogers. I'm pretty sure everyone of them is considered a franchise quarterback.

I agree with all except for Eli- I still think he gets by on name, and actually is not a franchise QB. But that is my personal opinion.

arapaho2
04-04-2011, 10:25 AM
the broncos drafting a qb in the first 3 picks is like wipeing your butt before you poop...it just doesnt make sense

fix the defense

nevcraw
04-04-2011, 11:20 AM
I don't mind the broncos arming themselves for all scenarios. It is clear to me that this is not really a smokescreen. Elway and Co. do not know if Tebow is the guy. I think they do like Tebow as they say (work ethic, leadership etc.) but are not willing to bet the farm on a risky transition -- so they are going to make sure they have options to ensure competition and the ability (picks or trades) to get someone they are sold on if they find him.

TXBRONC
04-04-2011, 11:36 AM
I agree with all except for Eli- I still think he gets by on name, and actually is not a franchise QB. But that is my personal opinion.

I agree Eli gets by on name recognitions althought he's been very good at times. Streaky comes to mind when I think of Eli. While in our personnel opinions we might he's a true franchise quarterback I would guess the Giant view him that way.

That aside, the point I was trying to make is that everyone of those quarterbacks are considered franchise quarterbacks by their respective teams. All of them were drafted in the first round and all of them have one at least one Super Bowl. So I respectfully disagee with notion that having a franchise quarterback is overrated.

BigSarge87
04-04-2011, 12:20 PM
I don't mind the broncos arming themselves for all scenarios. It is clear to me that this is not really a smokescreen. Elway and Co. do not know if Tebow is the guy. I think they do like Tebow as they say (work ethic, leadership etc.) but are not willing to bet the farm on a risky transition -- so they are going to make sure they have options to ensure competition and the ability (picks or trades) to get someone they are sold on if they find him.

I agree, it's all about scenarios. That's what is going on. They are just coming up with a list of scenarious and how to react to those scenarious in the BEST INTEREST OF THE TEAM.

I think it's great they are not taking anything off the table. Tebow included.

BroncoStud
04-04-2011, 01:09 PM
Good post D.

Brady nope
Brees nope.
The guy in BAL noPe.

NE is a team winner.

Belicheck has ZERO rings without Brady, ZERO.

Franchise QB's don't grow on trees, you can have a very good team but if you don't have a QB you aren't winning a Super Bowl, but a very good QB can get a good team a trophy, see Aaron Rodgers, Ben Roethlisberger, Kurt Warner, Len Dawson, Brett Favre...

UnderArmour
04-04-2011, 01:29 PM

Franchise QB's don't grow on trees, you can have a very good team but if you don't have a QB you aren't winning a Super Bowl, but a very good QB can get a good team a trophy, see Aaron Rodgers, Ben Roethlisberger, Kurt Warner, Len Dawson, Brett Favre...

Actually, Belichick has 2 rings from being Giants DC under Parcells.

rcsodak
04-04-2011, 01:45 PM
I don't think you can say all 1st rd picks are franchise qb's.

LordTrychon
04-04-2011, 01:47 PM

I think you can say that any QB you draft in the 1st round is one that you are hoping/planning is a franchise QB.

I hear we're bringing in some DTs... smokescreen?

GEM
04-04-2011, 01:48 PM

I don't think TX said that. He said those QB's that he listed. I think TX is fully aware of the Ryan Leafs and McFatass Russells exist.

rcsodak
04-04-2011, 01:52 PM
I think you can say that any QB you draft in the 1st round is one that you are hoping/planning is a franchise QB.

I agree with the 'hopeful' part, Lt.

Elevation inc
04-04-2011, 02:05 PM
i dont buy that Tebow isnt the guy next year at all, That being said I think the FO is genius here. A FO should look at all options every year period for the best available talent. We may not have the luxury of taking a Qb this year and that very well may end up like that on draft day, but if we do get extra picks and the Fo feels like they found a gem in there somewhere becasue they arent fond of ours, I dont fault them for that. In fact had MCD had a open mind about prospects and had a board bigger than 100 players he may still have a job cause guys like quinn and smith would have been replaced by better talent and less waste of drat picks....

I doubt with 100% of my mind we draft a Qb unless we want gabbert at 2 that bad or ponder falls in our lap in rd 2. Outside of that the rest suck. and Im pretty sure john knows that along with the rest of the FO.

I also doubt john feels as bad about tebow is as being speculated by the media. John never said he didnt like tebow or couldnt work with him, he never said he was or wasnt our Qb next year or in the future. What he did say was he doesnt know if we have a franchsie Qb, truthfully i dont know if we do either, my heart says yes, but my brain says wait and see....i really dont see how we can knock john in that assesment, 3 games really isnt enough range in reality.....tebow is raw and needs refinement in the passing game, he flashed brillanace and rawness in all 3 games.....we as a FO our just making sure wont dont put all our eggs in a unkown basket picked by a man who was forced out of denver, a big reason being his talent evaluation.....I dont blame john for being cautious.....he should be....especially following the MCD debacle

TXBRONC
04-04-2011, 02:17 PM
Actually, Belichick has 2 rings from being Giants DC under Parcells.

I'm pretty sure he meant as a head coach. That aside Phil Simms was the Giants franchise quarterback.

TXBRONC
04-04-2011, 02:20 PM

I didn't say that. However if take one in the first round for sure that's what you're hoping for. They don't drafted in the first round with idea that they'll make good long term back up quarterback.

KCL
04-04-2011, 02:23 PM

Len Dawson..wow people remember him..he's like in his 70s now..
how sad it's been so long for the Chiefs that people mention Dawson...:lol:

KCL
04-04-2011, 02:26 PM

Like JaMarcus?

JaMarcus Russell (born August 9, 1985) is an American football quarterback who is currently a free agent. Russell played college football for the LSU Tigers where he finished 21-4 as a starter and was named MVP of the 2007 Sugar Bowl. The Oakland Raiders selected Russell with the first overall pick of the 2007 NFL Draft. Russell held out[1] until the Raiders signed him to a contract worth $61 million with $32 million guaranteed.[2] In three seasons with the Raiders, Russell finished 7-18 as a starter[3] before his release on May 6, 2010.

KCL
04-04-2011, 02:27 PM
I don't think TX said that. He said those QB's that he listed. I think TX is fully aware of the Ryan Leafs and McFatass Russells exist.

You beat me to it on Russell..didn't see this til I posted.

TXBRONC
04-04-2011, 02:27 PM
Like JaMarcus?

He was the number one overall pick in his draft class.

Ravage!!!
04-04-2011, 02:50 PM
We will probably be taking a QB early-think 2nd/3rd rounds. Not to replace TT-but everyone will gasp and start the rumors that TT is going to get replaced by a 2nd round QB. We will be doing it because Brad Quinn Blows ass and one we either trade KO or let him walk we will not have another QB on our roster. So we will take one, and more than likely he will be the backup to TT, but he could beat him out and that would also be a win.

But TT is not going anywhere and we are not drafting his replacement. We are drafting a backup who can compete to try and replace him.

Under, I don't think you use a 2nd round pick on a guy you plan on being a back-up. If... IF... we use the 2nd round pick on a QB, its with intentions of being the starter. We aren't in a position to use high round draft picks on depth.

Elevation inc
04-04-2011, 02:59 PM
Under, I don't think you use a 2nd round pick on a guy you plan on being a back-up. If... IF... we use the 2nd round pick on a QB, its with intentions of being the starter. We aren't in a position to use high round draft picks on depth.

i diasgree both henne and kolb are second rd picks that are gonna be replaced...or have been already....i think if we take a Qb in rd 2 or 3 its not a guarentee we need them to start right away....clausen was selected last year in rd 2 and will be replaced this year....

but i do agree we cant waste picks which is why I think the plan is to sell the Qb need to everyone outside of denver so someone jumps up to us in a trade. Outside of gabbert and ponder i think Elway thinks the class is a wash as well for Qb's anyways......

rcsodak
04-04-2011, 02:59 PM
Wow....you sure do know alot about Tx. :eek:

But I'm glad you know he knows. I just wonder if he knows that you know what he knows....ya know? :confused:

rcsodak
04-04-2011, 03:03 PM
I'm pretty sure he meant as a head coach. That aside Phil Simms was the Giants franchise quarterback.
Hmmmm....you sure Gem would feel you feel that way?

:lol:

TXBRONC
04-04-2011, 03:04 PM

But I'm glad you know he knows. I just wonder if he knows that you know what he knows....ya know? :confused:

What was unclear you was clear to her. There's no need for the innuendo.

Benetto
04-04-2011, 03:05 PM
If you want a qb, then suit UP or play T-Baux! WE NEED A PASS RUSHER!

TXBRONC
04-04-2011, 03:11 PM
Hmmmm....you sure Gem would feel you feel that way?

GEM and I are not the topic of the thread. Rather than trying bait me or Gem or anyone else for that matter why don't you stick to the subject.

Btw Elway is the subject of thread.

nevcraw
04-04-2011, 03:13 PM
I agree, it's all about scenarios. That's what is going on. They are just coming up with a list of scenarious and how to react to those scenarious in the BEST INTEREST OF THE TEAM.

I think it's great they are not taking anything off the table. Tebow included.

Exactly.. I sincerely hope that Tebow becomes a super, super star in Denver and can finally stop looking for the Elway replacement but I don't begrudge them the opportunity to explore any and all ways to build a winning team.

BigSarge87
04-04-2011, 03:17 PM
Will player trades be allowed if the lockout gets squashed? If so, this will get a whole lot more interesting.

TXBRONC
04-04-2011, 03:21 PM
Will player trades be allowed if the lockout gets squashed? If so, this will get a whole lot more interesting.

Good question. My guess is that if lockout gets squashed as you put it that it would open the door to trading players.

GEM
04-04-2011, 03:27 PM

Ok, let me rephrase. Tx did not say that. Further proven when he posted exactly that. :rolleyes:

BigSarge87
04-04-2011, 03:28 PM
Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread, but I think it will make a huge difference in JE's plans if they lift the lockout prior to the draft.

underrated29
04-04-2011, 03:31 PM
if the lockout is squashed, to my understanding that means that Free Agency begins. Players, signings, trades, the whole tamale, will now be on the table as if this were just another regular year.

TXBRONC
04-04-2011, 03:50 PM
Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread, but I think it will make a huge difference in JE's plans if they lift the lockout prior to the draft.

Having the ability to move current players around would make a huge difference. At the same time I'm not sure it would have much effect on our top pick.

Ravage!!!
04-04-2011, 03:53 PM
i diasgree both henne and kolb are second rd picks that are gonna be replaced...or have been already....i think if we take a Qb in rd 2 or 3 its not a guarentee we need them to start right away....clausen was selected last year in rd 2 and will be replaced this year....

but i do agree we cant waste picks which is why I think the plan is to sell the Qb need to everyone outside of denver so someone jumps up to us in a trade. Outside of gabbert and ponder i think Elway thinks the class is a wash as well for Qb's anyways......

But NEITHER was drafted to BE the backup. Where did I say that you don't "replace" a 2nd rounder???? :confused:

Carolina wouldn't be replacing Clausen if he had super star potention. Carolina will take Cam Newton purely because they are picking #1 over all, and won't pass up on the star "potential" of Newton.

But Kolb was drafted to REPLACE McNabb. He was drafted to BE the starter. So was Henne. If we draft a QB in the second round, we wouldn't have the intentions of him being the back-up to a guy we JUST drafted. That would be STUPID.

If you think you have your franchise QB on the roster (especially in his second season and being a whopping 23 years old), why would you draft someone in the 2nd round to replace back-ups? I just don't believe ANYONE uses second round picks for a guy that you NEVER want to see the field. You would only draft him in the second round if you believe he would be the STARTER.

TXBRONC
04-04-2011, 03:59 PM
But NEITHER was drafted to BE the backup. Where did I say that you don't "replace" a 2nd rounder???? :confused:

Carolina wouldn't be replacing Clausen if he had super star potention. Carolina will take Cam Newton purely because they are picking #1 over all, and won't pass up on the star "potential" of Newton.

But Kolb was drafted to REPLACE McNabb. He was drafted to BE the starter. So was Henne. If we draft a QB in the second round, we wouldn't have the intentions of him BEING the back-up to a guy we JUST drafted. That would be STUPID.

If you think you have your franchise QB on the roster (especially in his second season and being a whopping 23 years old), WHY would you draft someone in the 2nd round to replace back-ups? I just don't believe ANYONE uses second round picks for a guy that you NEVER want to see the field. You would ONLY draft him in the second round if you believe he would be the STARTER.

Exactly Kolb was originally drafted to eventually replace McNabb. The fact that things haven't worked out that way doesn't change what the original intent was.

BigSarge87
04-04-2011, 04:17 PM
Having the ability to move current players around would make a huge difference. At the same time I'm not sure it would have much effect on our top pick.

Probably not. I guess if we're still looking at moving down, teams could add players to the offer as well as picks to get to our 2nd. Not sure if anyone is that motivated to get it but you never know.

TXBRONC
04-04-2011, 05:17 PM
Probably not. I guess if we're still looking at moving down, teams could add players to the offer as well as picks to get to our 2nd. Not sure if anyone is that motivated to get it but you never know.

Jeff Legwold from the DP thinks that if the Lockout is still in place when the draft takes place then probably wont be many trades.

Q&A: Broncos in position to trade for NFL draft picks
By Jeff Legwold
The Denver Post
Posted: 04/02/2011 01:00:00 AM MDT

What's complicating the idea of making any trades is the current labor situation. The league is currently in a lockout, the players' union has decertified and all business outside of the draft has been suspended.

That means, at the moment, only trades involving draft picks for draft picks can be made. No additional players can be involved.

As a result, most general managers believe there may not be many trades overall on draft weekend unless a judge grants the players' request for an injunction to end the lockout.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_17753663

BigSarge87
04-04-2011, 05:22 PM
So if Judge Judy blocks it, is the old CBA automatically in place and it's a mad dash to see who can land Orton?

rcsodak
04-04-2011, 05:28 PM
GEM and I are not the topic of the thread. Rather than trying bait me or Gem or anyone else for that matter why don't you stick to the subject.

Btw Elway is the subject of thread.

You and your "I'm not the topic". Tx, I'm playing around. There used to be a time when you did the same.
And I'll appreciate if you quit trying to turn everything I say into an" innuendo" or" baiting". K? K.
TIA

:coffee:

rcsodak
04-04-2011, 05:31 PM
Nobody know for sure. If judge judy says the lockout is not a legal act, then there's a chance the owners appeal.
If she sides w/owners, I can see the TA falling apart.....after THEY appeal.
*snoooore*

rcsodak
04-04-2011, 05:33 PM

Yes. One hijack is enough.

rcsodak
04-04-2011, 05:38 PM
So if Judge Judy blocks it, is the old CBA automatically in place and it's a mad dash to see who can land Orton?
The old CBA, as I understand it, has expired.

GEM
04-04-2011, 05:49 PM
You and your "I'm not the topic". Tx, I'm playing around. There used to be a time when you did the same.
And I'll appreciate if you quit trying to turn everything I say into an" innuendo" or" baiting". K? K.
TIA

:lol: You're just fine when Top uses the Not the topic line. :lol:

You did have innuendo there. "You sure know Tx" No....I know what he typed because it was posted there for the world to see. Stop with the ******* victim act. You post shit, get called on it and then start with this I'd appreciate it blah, blah, blah....if you don't want it posted, don't start the shit.

He posted very clearly that it was a few key QB's, which he named, that he was talking about. Not every QB ever taken in the first round. You proceeded with the innuendo that I "know" Tx, I know what he posted, I can read English. You get called on it by both of us and then play the pity party victim card. Save it.

GEM
04-04-2011, 05:50 PM
Yes. One hijack is enough.

Perhaps YOU shouldn't hijack it then. You hijacked it with the comment about me "knowing" Tx.

KCL
04-04-2011, 06:05 PM
if the lockout is squashed, to my understanding that means that Free Agency begins. Players, signings, trades, the whole tamale, will now be on the table as if this were just another regular year.

Let's hope so..we want football dang gummit...:mad:

BigSarge87
04-04-2011, 06:19 PM
Nobody know for sure. If judge judy says the lockout is not a legal act, then there's a chance the owners appeal.
If she sides w/owners, I can see the TA falling apart.....after THEY appeal.
*snoooore*

From what I'm reading, whether the owners appeal or not, she can force the rules from the old CBA (I know it expired, smartass!) until the courts make a final decision or the league and players come to a new agreement.

What I can't find the answer to is how that will work. Say, if they go to court on the 6th. She rules the 8th that it's not legal to lock the players out, at what point can trades be pursued and players come to work? Immediately? Will there be some time given to work out the details of the psuedo CBA? Will there be a nationally televised event with Roger and DuhMaurice counting down? (assuming Smith can count backwards) All of this will affect what happens in the draft.

Just curious about the details.

rcsodak
04-04-2011, 07:03 PM
:lol: You're just fine when Top uses the Not the topic line. :lol:

You did have innuendo there. "You sure know Tx" No....I know what he typed because it was posted there for the world to see. Stop with the ******* victim act. You post shit, get called on it and then start with this I'd appreciate it blah, blah, blah....if you don't want it posted, don't start the shit.

He posted very clearly that it was a few key QB's, which he named, that he was talking about. Not every QB ever taken in the first round. You proceeded with the innuendo that I "know" Tx, I know what he posted, I can read English. You get called on it by both of us and then play the pity party victim card. Save it.

Wah.
Word of the day:innuendo.

And I, too, can read english. Plus interpret what is written.

I was looking for a discussion....actually partaking, until you (as usual)interceded. This one is on you, sweetcheeks. :coffee:

rcsodak
04-04-2011, 07:12 PM
From what I'm reading, whether the owners appeal or not, she can force the rules from the old CBA (I know it expired, smartass!) until the courts make a final decision or the league and players come to a new agreement.

What I can't find the answer to is how that will work. Say, if they go to court on the 6th. She rules the 8th that it's not legal to lock the players out, at what point can trades be pursued and players come to work? Immediately? Will there be some time given to work out the details of the psuedo CBA? Will there be a nationally televised event with Roger and DuhMaurice counting down? (assuming Smith can count backwards) All of this will affect what happens in the draft.

Just curious about the details.
It wasn't a 'smartass' comment, dumbass.(even now)? ;)
I don't believe, from what I'm hearing on Sirius nfl, she can Force anything on anybody. An appeals judge can put an injunction on judge judys action until a decision is rendered.

Nobody I'm listening to gives free agency >3:10 chance of happening pre draft.

BigSarge87
04-04-2011, 07:13 PM
rc, your fighting a war on two fronts! Never good! jk :D

rcsodak
04-04-2011, 07:17 PM
rc, your fighting a war on two fronts! Never good! jk :Dugh.....no shit. Lol Except the other one is just an irritating skirmish.
At least with you, its a wholesome dialogue. Carry on, sarge! ;)

BigSarge87
04-04-2011, 07:20 PM
It wasn't a 'smartass' comment, dumbass.(even now)? ;)
I don't believe, from what I'm hearing on Sirius nfl, she can Force anything on anybody. An appeals judge can put an injunction on judge judys action until a decision is rendered.

Nobody I'm listening to gives free agency >3:10 chance of happening pre draft.

I apologize, I didn't mean the 'smartass' comment in a derogatory way, I was joking around. I wasn't trying to attack you. I should have been more clear. So chill.

Thanks for the info that you get from Sirius. I guess I won't look forward to anything exciting happening prior to the draft.

rcsodak
04-04-2011, 07:37 PM
I apologize, I didn't mean the 'smartass' comment in a derogatory way, I was joking around. I wasn't trying to attack you. I should have been more clear. So chill.

Thanks for the info that you get from Sirius. I guess I won't look forward to anything exciting happening prior to the draft.
Lol
I AM chilled. :beer:

And some of them are just juxtaposing their views.....

I honestly don't think anybody really KNOWS.

Ya know?

TXBRONC
04-04-2011, 09:02 PM
TIA

You were being rude and we're implying something I didn't care for.

HORSEPOWER 56
04-04-2011, 09:37 PM

I find it hard to believe, unless we actually do draft new QB. that Orton would be traded before or during the draft. If Orton (or Tebow for that matter) is traded it will likely be after the draft if someone gives us an offer we can't refuse.

rcsodak
04-04-2011, 09:45 PM
I find it hard to believe, unless we actually do draft new QB. that Orton would be traded before or during the draft. If Orton (or Tebow for that matter) is traded it will likely be after the draft if someone gives us an offer we can't refuse.

If there IS a draft.

Nobody knows what would be in the new cba.

Hell, players may make $50k/yr, with the studs (manning/brady) making $2m. Tix may be $25, and beer, $1.50.

I can dream, right?:D