PDA

View Full Version : This is Bly's big test

Retired_Member_001
09-26-2007, 11:11 AM
It's time for Dre' Bly to prove why he is deserving of that big contract Shanahan gave him.

How do you feel Dre' Bly will fare against the Colts offense?

SmithOverTO
09-26-2007, 11:12 AM
Five or six tackles...maybe an interception, but I think he'll do better against Wayne than DWill did but Peyton Manning will still find the open guy.

omac
09-26-2007, 11:49 AM
Actually, I'm not too concerned about Bailey or Bly; I'm concerned about who's gonna cover the 3rd guy ... maybe Dallas Clark will have a big day.

The team that I'm more concerned with is Detroit; they've gone to 4 wide receiver sets, and all 4 of them are really effective. If they're all healthy when we face them, forget Roy Williams (who I think will be matched up with Bly) and Calvin Johnson (who I think will be matched up with Bailey; Bly's way too short to cover this guy). Mike Furrey and Shaun McDonald will be tough to cover; no way can safeties cover these guys. It'll be Foxy's and Paymah's chance to show what they got. With this spread structure, we should be able to get some sacks, and we'd need them, because Kitna knows how to get rid of the ball immediately to his wide receivers.

underrated29
09-26-2007, 11:56 AM
well i think bly will do well and probably make a pick or two, but also probably give up a td or two also- lets just hope its a pick 6.

i still honestly think that we will dominate this game on offense and steamroll the shisk out of them with henry and cutler airing it out.

but i love it. the matchup-- some of the best cb's against some of the best wr

omac
09-26-2007, 12:03 PM
well i think bly will do well and probably make a pick or two, but also probably give up a td or two also- lets just hope its a pick 6.

i still honestly think that we will dominate this game on offense and steamroll the shisk out of them with henry and cutler airing it out.

but i love it. the matchup-- some of the best cb's against some of the best wr

Yeah, this should be fun to watch, but it always is against Indy. :cheers:

They will have a huge advantge, though, as their QB is way more experienced and is the best in the league, while our QB on defense is a rookie at MLB, and Peyton might make his head spin. :ahhhhh:

arapaho2
09-26-2007, 12:07 PM
it all depends on how bates plays them...off the ball 8 yards ...then peyton will still chew us up

silkamilkamonico
09-26-2007, 12:10 PM
I'm hoping they put Bailey on Wayne.

Wayne's more of a big play threat than Harrison is, and Bly has been known to get beat bu those kind of players.

I look at it like Harrison or Wayne is going to get there's, so I'd rather get beat by Harrison up and down the field.

Then again, if Indy is going to hold on to the ball for 5+ minutes every drive, put Bly on Wayne so they score immediately.

Yea, I said it.

omac
09-26-2007, 12:18 PM

Wayne's more of a big play threat than Harrison is, and Bly has been known to get beat bu those kind of players.

I look at it like Harrison or Wayne is going to get there's, so I'd rather get beat by Harrison up and down the field.

Then again, if Indy is going to hold on to the ball for 5+ minutes every drive, put Bly on Wayne so they score immediately.

Yea, I said it.

Alright, a shootout! :elefant:

Skinny
09-26-2007, 01:11 PM

Yea, I said it.:welcome: silk! :beer: Did'nt see ya walk through the door. . . my baaaaaaad!

I'm hoping the same thing on Wayne and Harrison being matched up with Champ and Bly.

It's the #3 (Gonzalez) i'm worried about.

IMO Bly earns his pay every week.

Good game or not.

We're #1 in pass defense meaning Bly's not a weak link.

Works for me!

It is'nt as easy as it looks! ;)

topscribe
09-26-2007, 01:41 PM
Actually, I'm not too concerned about Bailey or Bly; I'm concerned about who's gonna cover the 3rd guy ... maybe Dallas Clark will have a big day.

The team that I'm more concerned with is Detroit; they've gone to 4 wide receiver sets, and all 4 of them are really effective. If they're all healthy when we face them, forget Roy Williams (who I think will be matched up with Bly) and Calvin Johnson (who I think will be matched up with Bailey; Bly's way too short to cover this guy). Mike Furrey and Shaun McDonald will be tough to cover; no way can safeties cover these guys. It'll be Foxy's and Paymah's chance to show what they got. With this spread structure, we should be able to get some sacks, and we'd need them, because Kitna knows how to get rid of the ball immediately to his wide receivers.
That's close to what I've been saying. Bly is not the problem. Frankly, I
don't know why so many Denver fans think he has to prove himself. He's no
a second-year player for whom the jury is still out. He came over as a nine-
year vet with two Pro Bowls under his belt. He's good.

The key in the secondary will be the health of Foxy and Lynch. It's the
third guy who has the potential to kill us.

The second key overall in the defense is the pass rush. I don't care if you
have Champ, Dieon, Darrell Green, and Willie Brown all together in the
backfield: If you do not have a pass rush, Peyton will pick them apart. We
have Dumervil, Moss, and Rice on the outside and Thomas and McKinley on
the inside, all who are showing signs of mounting a pass rush. This is the
week they need to put it all together.

The running game is also critical. If we constantly have to pull a safety up
into the box, it's going to be a long afternoon.

How well Bly, and Champ, do will depend heavily on these other factors.

-----

BigBroncLove
09-26-2007, 01:55 PM

-----

I agree. IF the Line doesn't do their job, in either forcing pressure, or stopping the run, the secodnary will have a very tough day. I am worried about who will match up against Gonzalez. Shoate was torched this last week in the highlights I've seen. Paymah or Foxy will be key to have at full health and playing at a high level. Gonzalez is not a super speedy guy, but he is a physical reciever who runs his routes well. I don't like how our LB's and safties matchup against either Clark or Utecht, and I expect them to have a great day if the deep routes arn't open in time for Manning.

Really though, the biggest concern of course is the line and gap control. Agaisnt this great Oline from Indy, it's excessively tough to guess how things will turn out. I don't like it though. Especially how Saturday and Scott will likely take advantage of our weakness at NT....

dogfish
09-26-2007, 02:26 PM
honestly?

i agree completely with top-- bly is good, it's already BEEN proven. . . but with that said, my expectations for this game aren't very high. . . wayne is just a bad matchup for bly-- he may be the most precise route-runner in the league, and he's the master of double moves, something bly has been vulnerable to throughout his career. . . hate to say it, but i expect wayne to take advantage of bly's aggression to get behind him for a big play or two, the same way porter sold him on a double move in the choketown game. . . obviously, i HOPE that's not the case, but i won't be surprised if it happens-- and it won't lessen my opinion of bly, either. . .

also, i think omac is right that we need to be a lot more concerned with dallas clarke than gonzalez. . . the colts coaching staff has said that WRs take several years to really get acclimated to their complicated system (audibles on almost every play, and lots of options where they need to know exactly when and where to break off their route, or adjust based on the coverage-- they run a precision offense based on timing)-- they said it took reggie wayne over two years to get comfortable, and that they're planning on bringing gonzalez along slowly. . . so far he only has five catches, so he's not more than an occasional deep threat at this point. . . they love to use clarke in the slot, and i expect we'll see far more of him than gonzalez-- and he's even more dangerous. . .

Broncos Mtnman
09-26-2007, 02:33 PM
I don't think Bly or Bailey are going to have that many opportunities. I think we will be playing alot of 2 deep zone in an effort to prevent the big play from taking place. Hopefully, Bly doesn't bite on too many fakes, or I could be wrong.

I think the guys who will have to step up are the nickel back and the LBs. They will have the job of keeping the short passing game, along with the running game, in check.

I think we'll see more Clark than Gonzales. Clark is used alot in the slot position when Harrison and Wayne are tied up. When you add Addai to this scenario, the burden is going to clearly be on the LBs and the nickel back.

TXBRONC
09-26-2007, 06:13 PM
The best way to cover those receivers is knock Manning on his rear end.

SmithOverTO
09-26-2007, 06:39 PM
The best way to cover those receivers is knock Manning on his rear end.

Best post of the thread :first:

Cuz it works :laugh:

broncosfanscott
09-26-2007, 08:51 PM
Five or six tackles...maybe an interception, but I think he'll do better against Wayne than DWill did but Peyton Manning will still find the open guy.

I think that is a fair assessment on how he will do.

I also agree with omac on the fact that somebody better keep an eye on Dallas Clark.

TXBRONC
09-27-2007, 12:54 PM
It's time for Dre' Bly to prove why he is deserving of that big contract Shanahan gave him.

How do you feel Dre' Bly will fair against the Colts offense?

I think he can and in my opinion he's already proving why he deserved the big contract.

Lonestar
09-27-2007, 03:03 PM
Have not the time to read all that is posted so far so If I step on someone here sorry about that.

Without a consistent Pass rush Bly will not fare well he has shown that he will bite on the double move. Manning will take advantage of that.

Clark will have another great day and their running game will win it for them. Once they have establish the run Manning will exploit or "great Pass defense".

Sorry but the offenses have not had to pass on us because they can run at will. Therefore our Pass defense is overrated.

This will be a meltdown on Defense this weekend. Hopefully Jay can keep us somewhat in the game.

Slick
09-27-2007, 03:22 PM

-----

Good points Top. I echoed the first point in the predict the score thread.

Any kind of pass rush will be huge. Someone needs to beat the rookie starting left tackle like a drum on sunday.

Retired_Member_001
09-27-2007, 03:40 PM

-----

Dre' Bly doesn't have to prove himself at all, your right.

Infact I have high hopes for Dre' Bly.

No matter how our other defenders do though, if Reggie Wayne catches 3 TD's over Dre', it's not going to look good. We gave him a big contract remember (I don't mean Nate Clements big), if Bly does worse than DWill did last year , let's just say there will be some heated discussions.

(Let me just say, I created this thread for discussion about how Dre' Bly will do. It's not intended to be a bash Dre' Bly thread)

TXBRONC
09-27-2007, 07:44 PM
Dre' Bly doesn't have to prove himself at all, your right.

Infact I have high hopes for Dre' Bly.

No matter how our other defenders do though, if Reggie Wayne catches 3 TD's over Dre', it's not going to look good. We gave him a big contract remember (I don't mean Nate Clements big), if Bly does worse than DWill did last year , let's just say there will be some heated discussions.

(Let me just say, I created this thread for discussion about how Dre' Bly will do. It's not intended to be a bash Dre' Bly thread)

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if Champ ended up on Wayne some of the time.