PDA

View Full Version : will the broncos ever go back to the run as there #1 option.

broncos9697
10-09-2008, 02:43 PM
I know this season we have went from the run to the passing game...
Will we ever go back to the run as our #1 source..We have culter and he loves to throw the ball who wouldn't with a arm like his so do we stay with the pass first then the run or what..
Our running game is not the best as of now,Going into the season I had negs against young I like him but I did not think he could be a productive back like the others we have had here in denver...
And I am right so far out of the 4 backs we do have our rookie might be better off even if he has not played a reg. season game yet.....so will it be run or pass not just this season but the next and next...are we a pass first team now..

BroncoWave
10-09-2008, 02:51 PM
What we are doing now has us leading the NFL in scoring and yards so I see no reason to change!

TXBRONC
10-09-2008, 02:54 PM
What we are doing now has us leading the NFL in scoring so I see no reason to change!

I think we're passing more out of necessity because right now we don't have a running back that is capable of handling the ball more than 15 times per game.

broncos9697
10-09-2008, 02:55 PM
yes its working out great let him throw we have the QB and the WR to do so...if only we had a great D to back them up...

sanluis
10-09-2008, 02:56 PM
Jay Cutler!!!

:listen:You don't seem to need to run much with this guy around.

broncos9697
10-09-2008, 02:57 PM
I know fans are going to hate this remark,
But I think we need to trade young while we can and keep pittman..Hall I dont know about maybe keep him around for the red zone.

CrazyHorse
10-09-2008, 02:58 PM
Wait until Ryan Torain comes back.
Get ready for Clady, Harris, and Torain, to ride the Ryan Train!

TXBRONC
10-09-2008, 02:58 PM
yes its working out great let him throw we have the QB and the WR to do so...if only we had a great D to back them up...

The only problem is when have pass heavy offense without a strong running game inclement weather becomes a factor.

broncofaninfla
10-09-2008, 03:26 PM
What is our pass/run ratio, anybody know?

LRtagger
10-09-2008, 03:28 PM
I was going to say the only way I see us going back to run first, pass second would be if Jay got injured....but with the way our line is playing I dont think he will be getting injured anytime soon.

JONtheBRONCO
10-09-2008, 03:31 PM
Hope not.

jrelway
10-09-2008, 03:34 PM
dont fix what aint broke. i love our offense as is.

CrazyHorse
10-09-2008, 03:40 PM
The only problem is when have pass heavy offense without a strong running game inclement weather becomes a factor.
Don't forget you can't control the clock to keep your defense off the field. We've been losing the TOP battle and it hurts.

TXBRONC
10-09-2008, 03:59 PM
What is our pass/run ratio, anybody know?

Right now it's about 60-40 pass to run split.

broncofaninfla
10-09-2008, 04:06 PM
Right now it's about 60-40 pass to run split.

Thanks!! It will be interesting to see if that changes when Torain starts running the ball or one of the other RB's steps up to the point that they can become a feature back. If not Torain, Maybe Pittman? I do think somebody brought up a great point in the we do need to improve on our time of possession. That could in turn help our defense and protect our leads. :beer:

TXBRONC
10-09-2008, 04:30 PM
Thanks!! It will be interesting to see if that changes when Torain starts running the ball or one of the other RB's steps up to the point that they can become a feature back. If not Torain, Maybe Pittman? I do think somebody brought up a great point in the we do need to improve on our time of possession. That could in turn help our defense and protect our leads. :beer:

By the time Torain can start playing the weather will start being a factor, so would expect that Denver will have to start leaning on running game than they have to this point.

Ziggy
10-09-2008, 05:02 PM
Don't forget you can't control the clock to keep your defense off the field. We've been losing the TOP battle and it hurts.

You can controll the clock with the short passing game. That is what the west coast offense is all about. Shanahan adjusted it when he had TD and Portis here, but the staple of the west coast offense has always been the short passing game. TOP has been a problem this season more because the defense has failed to get off the field. They have given up big plays and long drives all season long.

dogfish
10-09-2008, 08:04 PM

dude! that sounds really, really, really bad. . . . :tsk:

Devilspawn
10-09-2008, 08:11 PM
Running first is much more important than throwing first. Get a big lead, you run out the clock. We saw what brady did last year, but did Lawrence Moroney, Sammy Morris and Co. do anything to establish control so that the Giants wouldn't knock Brady around like a rag doll. I think in most cases, throwing is a flash in the pan success story when you're run game is average at best.

Plus Cutler hasn't seen pressure yet. That time will come, especially in the playoffs. If the Broncos get there and they can't establish some sort of run game, it'll be New England all over again.

omac
10-09-2008, 11:11 PM

All aboard the Torain Train! :choochoo:

Broncos Mtnman
10-09-2008, 11:16 PM
What we are doing now has us leading the NFL in scoring and yards so I see no reason to change!

:dito: What he said.

omac
10-09-2008, 11:23 PM
Running first is much more important than throwing first. Get a big lead, you run out the clock. We saw what brady did last year, but did Lawrence Moroney, Sammy Morris and Co. do anything to establish control so that the Giants wouldn't knock Brady around like a rag doll. I think in most cases, throwing is a flash in the pan success story when you're run game is average at best.

Plus Cutler hasn't seen pressure yet. That time will come, especially in the playoffs. If the Broncos get there and they can't establish some sort of run game, it'll be New England all over again.

Well, for a few years now, NE and Indy have been pass first offenses, with a good balance of rushing thrown in. Last season, NE went very pass happy; they still had their rushing game, but they didn't use it as much.

It really depends on the team. Some teams are better at passing, and that sets up their runs. Most teams are better at running, and that opens up their passing.

Oakland's offense under Kiffin was rush first to open up the pass, and as time goes by, JaMarcus will make most of those passes. Denver recently used to be like that, as their rushing was easily better than their passing, but now it's quite the opposite, so we have to follow more of an Indy/NE approach. I will say that with the current state of our OL, we're only one talented RB away from having a dominant offense all around. :beer: