PDA

View Full Version : Jay Cutler: 'I have a stronger arm' than Elway

Denver Native (Carol)
10-09-2008, 01:58 PM
http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=469497

Jay Cutler: 'I have a stronger arm' than Elway

Jay Cutler is the NFL's most gifted young passer -- and he knows it.

The Broncos' third-year quarterback is high on his arm and high on his team's chances to make the Super Bowl, Sporting News' Steve Greenberg found out in Cutler's first major print interview outside the football environment (team facility, stadium, etc.) since being drafted.

Below are excerpts from the story -- and SN contributor John Elway's column -- both of which can be found in the new Sporting News magazine, which is on newsstands now.

-- Cutler on his arm vs. John Elway's: "I have a stronger arm than John, hands down. I'll bet on it against anybody's in the league. Brett Favre's got a cannon. But on game days, there's nobody in the league who's going to throw it harder than I am at all."

-- Cutler on whether there is a team in the AFC with a better chance to reach the Super Bowl than Denver: "I don't think so. With Tom (Brady) out, I think there are three, four, five teams that have a legitimate shot of getting there."

-- Cutler on how surprised he'll be if the Broncos don't win the AFC West: "At this point, pretty surprised. Very surprised, actually."

-- Cutler on his expectation that the Broncos will score every time they have the ball: "I think we can score 30-plus points a game. I don't see why we couldn't."

-- Cutler on his battle with Type 1 diabetes: "I lost 35, 36 pounds. I was always tired. My mouth was always dry. I didn't really want to play football. I didn't really want to go out there. I was tired before the game and exhausted after the game. I'd sleep all the time."

-- Elway on Cutler's arm vs. those of some NFL greats: "Joe Montana, Steve Young, Brett Favre -- they all could get outside and make big plays. Cutler is either more athletic or has better arm strength than each of them. His arm is pretty special, might even be as good as mine when I was his age. Certainly, it's better than mine was at the end."

-- Elway on comparisons between himself and Cutler: "Some people have asked how he compares to me. He's closer to me physically than personalitywise. But even I struggled a bit with expectations and the Denver spotlight when I was his age. It can be overwhelming. Once he wins some big games, he'll start to feel like he belongs. It didn't happen for me until my fourth year, when we went to Cleveland and won "The Drive" game. It was a big boost for me to win the AFC championship game, especially on the road."

-- Elway on what's next for Cutler: "Cutler just needs to keep growing. His teammates' confidence in him and the coaches' confidence in his abilities have grown by leaps and bounds this year. It's obvious. Hey, everybody follows a winner. And he's going to win a lot of NFL games."

Rex
10-09-2008, 01:59 PM
Nope.

TXBRONC
10-09-2008, 02:01 PM
Nope.

According to Elway himself he just might.

-- Elway on Cutler's arm vs. those of some NFL greats: "Joe Montana, Steve Young, Brett Favre -- they all could get outside and make big plays. Cutler is either more athletic or has better arm strength than each of them. His arm is pretty special, might even be as good as mine when I was his age. Certainly, it's better than mine was at the end."

But of coarse we'll never know for sure.

Denver Native (Carol)
10-09-2008, 02:01 PM
Nope.

I don't agree with Jay either, and I wish he would not have come out and stated some of the things he did, but rather, if he feels that way, just prove it on the field.

TXBRONC
10-09-2008, 02:03 PM
I don't agree with Jay either, and I wish he would not have come out and stated some of the things he did, but rather, if he feels that way, just prove it on the field.

What's the big deal? Elway said Jay just might have the stronger arm.

Requiem / The Dagda
10-09-2008, 02:04 PM
Jay Cutler is a BOSS.

Denver Native (Carol)
10-09-2008, 02:06 PM
What's the big deal? Elway said just he might have the stronger arm.

Didn't say it was a big deal - I just prefer the saying "action speaks louder than words".

And Elway said:

His arm is pretty special, might even be as good as mine when I was his age. Certainly, it's better than mine was at the end."

Might even be as good as mine when I was his age.

BroncoNut
10-09-2008, 02:07 PM
I think he might have a stronger arm.

Rex
10-09-2008, 02:08 PM
I think he might have a stronger arm.

:coffee: Do you know who John Elway is?

TXBRONC
10-09-2008, 02:10 PM
Didn't say it was a big deal - I just prefer the saying "action speaks louder than words".

And Elway said:

His arm is pretty special, might even be as good as mine when I was his age. Certainly, it's better than mine was at the end."

I know what Elway and repeated that well.

Jay was asked a question and he answered it. Yes actions speak louder than words and to this point I think his actions have been pretty loud.

Rex
10-09-2008, 02:11 PM
It really does not matter.

BroncoNut
10-09-2008, 02:13 PM
I dont' think that Denver has a better chance at this point of being a sb contender than alot of other teams. I also don't know if I'd be all that surprised if San Diego comes along nicely this season either with regard to an AFCW Championship. His comment on that is too premature imho. Other than that, I'm sold on his skill set. I think he's already proven alot in that category. He's got a cannon, without a doubt.

Shep
10-09-2008, 02:13 PM
Nothing wrong with a little confidence and arrogance. I like that in a pilot

TXBRONC
10-09-2008, 02:14 PM

Agreed. :salute:

BroncoNut
:coffee: Do you know who John Elway is?

yeah, now leave me alone. You've been harrassing me quite a bit lately. I'm not that stupid, you know.

BroncoNut

your best post ever.

claymore
10-09-2008, 02:18 PM
Well they have similar gay haircuts at the same age. And that is a fact.

BroncoNut
10-09-2008, 02:19 PM

I like Jay's hair to tell you the truth.

studbucket
10-09-2008, 02:20 PM

Because I'm practically the same age as Cutler, it doesn't bother me much (but it might looking back 15 years from now).

However, Elway's haircut was atrocious. Since I wasn't old enough to remember the late 1980s, did his hair seem that bad back then?

Rex
10-09-2008, 02:21 PM
your best post ever.

Then you have not read many of the others.

I think my best one is the "asstriloquist" post.

Shep
10-09-2008, 02:21 PM
Then you have not read many of the others.

I think my best one is the "asstriloquist" post.

Definitley a classic. :beer:

Retired_Member_001
10-09-2008, 02:27 PM
Maybe this was taken out of context?

I doubt he would actually say that.

BroncoNut
10-09-2008, 02:28 PM
Yeah Cswil, I don't remember that one at all. Can you tell me about it?

TXBRONC
10-09-2008, 02:29 PM
Well at least Jay wasn't asked if he thought his hair cut was better than Elway's. :lol:

Medford Bronco
10-09-2008, 02:40 PM

Agreed :salute::salute::beer:

claymore
10-09-2008, 02:41 PM
Im sure Jay is so sick of being compared to Elway that he just wanted to end the convorsation.

OMorange&blue
10-09-2008, 02:43 PM
Well, that'll do it. :rolleyes:

roomemp
10-09-2008, 02:46 PM
THis was very cool to read...... He has a lot of confidence. He is not going to be overshadowed by Elway's legacy in Denver. I love it.
Cutler is what we have been waiting for. Promise land here we come!!!!!!!

CrazyHorse
10-09-2008, 02:50 PM
Elway on Cutler's arm vs. those of some NFL greats: "Joe Montana, Steve Young, Brett Favre -- they all could get outside and make big plays. Cutler is either more athletic or has better arm strength than each of them. His arm is pretty special, might even be as good as mine when I was his age. Certainly, it's better than mine was at the end."

Joe Montana...?
Even Chad Pennington has better arm strength than Montana did.

Oh and Pennington's more accurate too.

Denver Native (Carol)
10-09-2008, 03:08 PM
Joe Montana...?
Even Chad Pennington has better arm strength than Montana did.

Oh and Pennington's more accurate too.

Now how can you say that :tsk: there was no one BETTER than Montana for throwing a 5 yard pass to Rice - Rice running with it 70 yards to score the touchdown - and Montana being crowned as the best quarterback in NFL history. :rolleyes:

Benetto
10-09-2008, 03:12 PM
I LOVE Cutlers confidence...but obviously the kid hasn't seen too many Elway conducted games.

LRtagger
10-09-2008, 03:14 PM
Im sure Jay is so sick of being compared to Elway that he just wanted to end the convorsation.

Mission failed.

broncofaninfla
10-09-2008, 03:22 PM
Good article! I like his confidence even though I don't agree with some of what he said. John had THE cannon arm. Jay has a cannon arm, lets see how long he can keep it up and how many games and titles he can bring us. Regardless the kid seems fearless and driven, with his skills and talent, that is a good thing.

Benetto
10-09-2008, 03:27 PM
John carried a few decent Broncos teams to superbowls with his arm and won 2 back to back....Cutty is the man with the golden arm, but its more like a .22 compared to Johns .45

jrelway
10-09-2008, 03:31 PM
i just saw this on nfl live right now. jay, i know you have a cannon arm and your riding high, but you aint no elway. your arms not stronger than elways. keep your cap shut till you win a superbowl, then talk a little smack. I love his confidence but you dont say these things.

jrelway
10-09-2008, 03:33 PM
btw, John Elway can whoop chuck norris' ass.

CrazyHorse
10-09-2008, 03:48 PM
Why is 6 afraid of 7?

broncofaninfla
10-09-2008, 03:51 PM
btw, John Elway can whoop chuck norris' ass.

LMAO!!!! :beer:

BCJ
10-09-2008, 03:58 PM

And Elway said:

he says their personalities are different. I wonder if he thinks Jay is a little full of himself. If he becomes PR II, what would you guy think then? He better back it up like Shannon SHarpe did or he is gonna come off as a big mouth. Until Dove Valley pulls out the football thrower like they converted from a baseball machine during practice to simulate Elway's throws, I dont believe it.

TXBRONC
10-09-2008, 04:01 PM
Why is 6 afraid of 7?

Because 7 eight 9. :D

broncofaninfla
10-09-2008, 04:07 PM
I wonder, was he smiling of joking when he said it?

Sir Foxx
10-09-2008, 04:15 PM
I haven't heard any of the current receivers talking about the Cutler Cross like Elway's receivers talked about the Elway Cross. Cutlers good, could be great, but he has a long, long way to go to prove he's better than Elway in anything.

Medford Bronco
10-09-2008, 04:20 PM
Now how can you say that :tsk: there was no one BETTER than Montana for throwing a 5 yard pass to Rice - Rice running with it 70 yards to score the touchdown - and Montana being crowned as the best quarterback in NFL history. :rolleyes:

Carol,

I kind of disagree with you on this one. Joe Montana was a great QB. He is one of the smartest to ever lace em up. He did throw the ball a bit more downfield than he gets credit for. Dont get me wrong, I dont like the guy but I respect all that he did. I remember him throwing Rice a bomb in the God Awful Super Bowl in 1990 to beat Atwater for like 50 Yards

I also remember him going off vs Philly that year with all kinds of deep passes vs a very good defense.

Its kind of a misnomer that he threw only short passes.

Magnificent Seven
10-09-2008, 04:37 PM
I don't know.... I remember Mark Jackson said, " my hands are bruises and it came from Elway.

Denver Native (Carol)
10-09-2008, 04:40 PM
Carol,

I kind of disagree with you on this one. Joe Montana was a great QB. He is one of the smartest to ever lace em up. He did throw the ball a bit more downfield than he gets credit for. Dont get me wrong, I dont like the guy but I respect all that he did. I remember him throwing Rice a bomb in the God Awful Super Bowl in 1990 to beat Atwater for like 50 Yards

I also remember him going off vs Philly that year with all kinds of deep passes vs a very good defense.

Its kind of a misnomer that he threw only short passes.

I am sure he threw some long passes, but not nearly as often as he threw a dunk to one of his great receivers, and they took it from there.

TXBRONC
10-09-2008, 04:45 PM
I am sure he threw some long passes, but not nearly as often as he threw a dunk to one of his great receivers, and they took it from there.

Carol that's not because Montana couldn't throw long passes it had to do him being in West Coast Offense.

LawDog
10-09-2008, 04:47 PM
Sure Jay is being a little cocky and self-assured. But look, he is trying to become the leader of this team, and be that leader for quite a few years. You want a leader to be confident, and have the opinion that they can take it all the way to the house.

When that cockiness translates into bad decisions on the field, like forcing throws (some of which we have seen so far this year), that is a problem. But yakking to some writer who asks for the umpteenth time "Compare Cutler v. Elway" go ahead and strap on some bragadocios and put it out there. It's not like it is Brian Greise claiming to have a hotter gun than Elway. Jay has a great arm, no question.

I like it. Now bring it on Sunday.

Ziggy
10-09-2008, 04:52 PM

Montana didn't throw that many long passes because his arm strength was average. Also, he was in the west coast offense, so most of the play calling was for short passes. The thing that Montana did better than anyone who ever played the game was hit the receiver in stride. The reason all those short passes went for long gains was because the receiver rarely ever had to break stride, reach behind them to get the ball, or wait on the ball. Montana was possibly the most accurate QB ever to play the game.

TXBRONC
10-09-2008, 04:53 PM
Sure Jay is being a little cocky and self-assured. But look, he is trying to become the leader of this team, and be that leader for quite a few years. You want a leader to be confident, and have the opinion that they can take it all the way to the house.

When that cockiness translates into bad decisions on the field, like forcing throws (some of which we have seen so far this year), that is a problem. But yakking to some writer who asks for the umpteenth time "Compare Cutler v. Elway" go ahead and strap on some bragadocios and put it out there. It's not like it is Brian Greise claiming to have a hotter gun than Elway. Jay has a great arm, no question.

I like it. Now bring it on Sunday.

LD I don't know if this helps him to be a better leader or one that is more trusted and I don't think it hurts him the eyes of teammates.

I wonder how people would feel if Jay said he's a more accurate passer. That wouldn't be cocky it would be accurate.

Denver Native (Carol)
10-09-2008, 04:54 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/classic/bio/news/story?page=Elway_John

Elway excelled in final minutes

"If people dislike me because they think I'm a spoiled brat because I get upset if I lose, that's okay with me. Because I'm all about winning. I like to win and I don't like to lose," says John Elway on ESPN Classic's SportsCentury series.

The numbers never told John Elway's story. They built him up at times, flogged him at others. His overall statistics were impressive, but his true measure as a player ran straight to his heart.

The Denver Broncos star found ways to win. Strangely, it took two championships at the end of his career to certify his stature, to soften the mark of three Super Bowl losses. After 16 seasons, Elway retired as the winningest starting quarterback in NFL history with a 148-82-1 record.

He didn't always lead in passing statistics, but he instilled fear in opponents. A renowned scrambler, Elway led 47 winning or tying drives in the fourth quarter or overtime, more than any quarterback. "In tight situations I stop worrying about turnovers," he said. "There's no pressure. I can just cut it loose."

At 6-foot-3 and 215 pounds, he was always good at cutting loose, zipping the ball at unearthly speed. Critics, though, saw him as one-dimensional, devoid of the touch pass and slow to read defenses. They looked at pallid touchdown-to-interception ratios and figured his inconsistency would foil him.

They were wrong.

Elway became the first quarterback to start five Super Bowls, was selected for the Pro Bowl nine times and in 1987 was voted the NFL's Most Valuable Player by the Associated Press. By taking risks as a passer, he made plays other quarterbacks couldn't.

"Elway is the master of the inconceivable pass thrown to the unreachable spot," announcer Pat Summerall said.

Elway is the only player to amass 50,000 yards passing and 3,000 rushing. He ranks second to Dan Marino in passing yards (51,475), completions (4,123) and 3,000-yard seasons (12, tied with Brett Favre). He threw for 300 touchdowns, one of only four quarterbacks to reach this milestone.

Though his play in his first three Super Bowls was undistinguished -- two touchdowns and six interceptions -- he closed his career with an MVP performance in the 1999 Super Bowl.

He was born on June 28, 1960 in Port Angeles, Wash. His father Jack was a football coach, and John participated in several sports. After moving to the Los Angeles area, Elway starred in baseball and football at Granada Hills High School. Batting .491 as a senior, he led his team to the city baseball championship. As a quarterback, he was a prep All-American, receiving scholarship offers from 60 colleges before choosing Stanford.

While Elway never led Stanford to a bowl game in his four seasons and lost twice to his father's San Jose State team, he set Pac-10 career passing records for completions, yardage and touchdowns. Said Stanford coach Paul Wiggin: "Every team we play puts up a picture of John and says, 'That's our battle cry.' "

Elway was a consensus All-American as a senior in 1982, when he passed for 3,242 yards and 24 touchdowns and finished second to Herschel Walker in the Heisman Trophy voting.

The Baltimore Colts made Elway the No. 1 pick in the 1983 draft, but he snubbed them, saying he wanted to play elsewhere. He used baseball as leverage. After hitting .361 with 50 RBI in 49 games as a Stanford sophomore, the Yankees drafted him. In the summer of 1982, he batted .318 for their Class A team in Oneonta, N.Y.

Fearing Elway might turn to baseball, the Colts traded his rights to Denver. After signing a five-year, $5-million contract with Denver, Elway became a much admired starter. "He throws 50-yard bombs like 10-yard curls," cornerback Louis Wright marveled.

When the season began, Elway struggled. Denver finished 9-7 and made the playoffs despite Elway throwing 14 interceptions in 11 games and ranking 17th among AFC passers.

Coach Dan Reeves said he erred by starting Elway so soon. Elway, looking back, said, "All of a sudden there were no weaknesses on defense."

Though his interception rate remained high, Elway led Denver to a 13-3 record and a division title in 1984. The next year, he set multiple team records, including throwing 605 passes, four shy of Dan Fouts' NFL mark.

In 1986, Elway made his first Pro Bowl. After losing to Denver that season, Raiders cornerback Lester Hayes said, "He does things I've never seen before, and I've got lots of film."

In the AFC championship game in Cleveland, Elway did something remarkable when he took Denver on "The Drive," a tying, 98-yard, 15-play march late in the game. "It doesn't look good, stuck way back like that," Reeves said. "But when you've got John Elway on your team, you've always got a chance. Always."

The Broncos defeated Cleveland 23-20 in overtime, but then lost the Super Bowl to the New York Giants 39-20 despite Elway passing for 304 yards.

In the MVP strike-shortened season of 1987, Elway passed for 3,198 yards and 19 touchdowns in 12 games and ran for a career-high 304 yards. He became the first quarterback since Pittsburgh's Terry Bradshaw (1978-79) to lead a team to consecutive AFC titles. Denver lost to Washington 42-10 in Super Bowl XXII, though Elway passed for 257 yards.

Injuries slowed him the next fall when he threw more interceptions than touchdowns (19-17) and the Broncos missed the playoffs. His erratic play continued for much of 1989, and media criticism grew. Playing behind a rebuilt line, Elway complained that Reeves' offensive plan was turning conservative.

Elway's play improved, perhaps because he was reunited with quarterback coach Mike Shanahan at midseason, and the Broncos made their third Super Bowl appearance in four years. This time, they lost even more handily, 55-10 to San Francisco.

The defeat was a low point for Elway. Leaving the field with his wife Janet, he turned to preying photographers and said, "Can't you let a guy sulk in peace?"

The Broncos sank to 5-11 the next year, Elway's first of two losing pro seasons, and his relationship with Reeves deteriorated. The team, though, rebounded in 1991 to go 12-4 and gain the AFC title game. Reeves was fired after the Broncos went 8-8 in 1992 and replaced by Wade Phillips, who favored an offense featuring quick, short passes.

After a 10-touchdown, 17-interception performance in 1992, Elway adapted to the offense quickly and threw for a career-high 4,030 yards and 25 touchdown passes with only 10 interceptions.

Shanahan, his good friend and mentor, became head coach in 1995, and that summer Elway insisted he still had goals. "There's such a stigma about the guys who've never won it," he said. "It's not fair, but I know that's the way it is. I would love another chance."

Elway led Denver to a 13-3 record and the second round of the playoffs in 1996, then got his chance the next season when a 12-4 Broncos team (with Elway throwing for a career-best 27 touchdown passes) rode to the Super Bowl as a wild card.

Facing the defending champion Green Bay Packers, running back Terrell Davis scored three touchdowns and won the game's MVP award as Denver ended the AFC's 13-game Super Bowl slide with a 31-24 upset. A poised Elway threw for only 123 yards but ran for a key first down that ended with a spectacular pirouette as he was tackled, and a 23-yard pass that set up Davis' winning touchdown.

In January 1999, the Broncos were again in the Super Bowl, this time against Atlanta and his former coach. Reeves' game plan: Stop Davis and let Elway beat us. "My thought, 'Good, let's go,' " Elway said.

By throwing for 336 yards and one touchdown - and running for another score - Elway led Denver to a 34-19 triumph.

"I don't think there's any doubt now that he's a winner," said his father Jack.

Three months later, Elway retired at 38 after considering the decision for weeks. "The pressure's all gone," he said to his wife the next day. "I can't believe how happy I am."

Thnikkaman
10-09-2008, 04:56 PM
Nope.

He's still a kid. I'm sure he will be asked about this in 5 years, and will come up with a more wise answer.

TXBRONC
10-09-2008, 05:00 PM
He's still a kid. I'm sure he will be asked about this in 5 years, and will come up with a more wise answer.

I really don't see what Jay said as problem. He was talking about physical strength, not accomplishments.

ApaOps5
10-09-2008, 05:01 PM
So what if he is confident. They asked a question he answered. Its not like he isn't backing up his confidence with his play.

That said there is a fine line between swagger and arrogance. I hope he stays on the right side of that line.

Skinny
10-09-2008, 05:42 PM
Jay seems to make his throws look more effortless than John did when putting one on the numbers or throwing a deep pass. They both get/got the ball there pretty fast and deep when they had too.

When John threw a dart or launched one, he had that baseball kind of wind-up where he brought the ball back pretty far behind his head. He threw it hard and it looked like he was throwing it hard.

Jay just seems to flick it from his elbow. So smooth, yet the ball just flies off his finger tips. Reminds me alot of Jeff George.

jrelway
10-09-2008, 05:47 PM
the media is sure making a big deal out of this. I saw it on NFL live earlier, and now its on the 6:00pm sportscenter. i know Jay said it out of confidence but now he's getting negative publicity for it.

ApaOps5
10-09-2008, 05:48 PM
Well ESPN will play anything that causes drama. I don't agree with him saying anything about the Superbowl or the AFC because thats looking ahead and gives teams fodder but in reality it just says he is confident.

hamrob
10-09-2008, 05:49 PM
Wow. He is confident. I've definitely noticed the lasers he throws...but I can't yet say...that his arm is stronger than Elway's was.

Elway was breaking fingers at training camp. You could here the ball hissing through the air. I'll never forget that fast ball to Mark Jackson in Cleveland.

I think if I were Jay...I would have left that one alone. But I love his self confidense...that's for sure!

SmilinAssasSin27
10-09-2008, 05:54 PM
Cutty is the shiz!

Hobe
10-09-2008, 06:03 PM
Elway on Cutler's arm vs. those of some NFL greats: "Joe Montana, Steve Young, Brett Favre -- they all could get outside and make big plays. Cutler is either more athletic or has better arm strength than each of them. His arm is pretty special, might even be as good as mine when I was his age. Certainly, it's better than mine was at the end." The thing is that this is so close that it IS debatable!

Dallas had Stalback and Ackman…
Green Bay had Starr and Farve…
49’ers had Montana and Young…
Miami had Greasy and Marino…
The pats had Brady and…and…well Brady…

The Denver Broncos had Elway and HAVE Cutler!!!

HOT DAMN!!!!! :elefant:

Gimpygod
10-09-2008, 06:35 PM
i just saw this on nfl live right now. jay, i know you have a cannon arm and your riding high, but you aint no elway. your arms not stronger than elways. keep your cap shut till you win a superbowl, then talk a little smack. I love his confidence but you dont say these things.

Winning games and arm strength are completely unrelated, ask Jeff George. I think we can actually prove who has the stronger arm if we get enough footage. Back in the day NTSC signals were 30 frames per second (I think) so we should be able to see how far the ball travels between frames and gauge velocity. Somebody without a life, get on that!:confused:

Also, everybody go to the today show.com and check out the piece on me and my dad... awesome! We have watched bronco games together since 1984. I wore my bronco blanket on national television even though I wasn't supposed to have anything with symbols, because I roll like a rebel. =) I crack myself up:lol::laugh:

Should that second part be a completely separate thread? All comments both nice or filled with douche-baggery welcome.

BroncoWave
10-09-2008, 06:45 PM
I like Cutler's comments. His confidence is one of the main reasons he is doing so well this season!

KCL
10-09-2008, 06:53 PM
Elway for President.....:beer:

:elefant:

:lol:

Lonestar
10-09-2008, 06:56 PM
sounds like he thinks he is the best and God help us when he figures out how much he can make on the open market..

Sounds to me like Jay will not retire as a bronco..

NameUsedBefore
10-09-2008, 07:02 PM
From what I've seen, Jamarcus Russell is right up there with Cutler, if not stronger. Gotta love Cutler's confidence, though.

honz
10-09-2008, 07:08 PM
sounds like he thinks he is the best and God help us when he figures out how much he can make on the open market..

Sounds to me like Jay will not retire as a bronco..

What? how the hell do you get that thought out of reading that article? If the Broncos pony up, Cutler will retire as a Bronco...and I suspect that they will pay Cutler whatever he wants.

On the article in general: Cutler said he has a stronger arm than Elway. It's not like he said he is a better QB.

blueblood15
10-09-2008, 07:11 PM
Nothing wrong with a little confidence and arrogance. I like that in a pilot

I agree. I see no big deaL AT ALL that he has alot of confidence... What if he wouldve said "i dont know if we'll win the west" or "tenessee has a better chance than us" ??? Then what would all of you haters say???

blueblood15
10-09-2008, 07:13 PM
What? how the hell do you get that thought out of reading that article? If the Broncos pony up, Cutler will retire as a Bronco...and I suspect that they will pay Cutler whatever he wants.

On the article in general: Cutler said he has a stronger arm than Elway. It's not like he said he is a better QB.

Seriously... I have no idea why he wouldnt stay and why we wouldnt PAY if/ WHEN he does well here.

NameUsedBefore
10-09-2008, 07:23 PM
There's no way in hell we don't pay Cutler.

TXBRONC
10-09-2008, 07:28 PM

I've heard from JR how teams that have top flight defensive tackles wont let them go which is very true. Honz do you know of any teams with a franchise quarterback that is going to let him hit the free agent market? I sure don't.

Superchop 7
10-09-2008, 07:28 PM
I've seen them both throw live.

Sorry Jay.......but no.

When you can throw a 30 yard "out" on a laser I'll believe.

No arc.

11 feet off the ground dropping at the final moment.

I've seen alot of pro Qbs throw the ball.

All had arc on that throw.

Except one.

It's physics (and gravity)

it's velocity.

Benetto
10-09-2008, 07:33 PM
Elway was supposed to be a Yankees superstar because he has a cannon arm.

http://www.naxcom.com/images/elway_Yanks.jpg

Broncospsycho77
10-09-2008, 07:33 PM
JaMarcus has an arm. He's probably about equal with Cutler, from what I saw when he was at LSU. Now, though, I can't be certain either way.

Benetto
10-09-2008, 07:38 PM
JaMarcus has an arm. He's probably about equal with Cutler, from what I saw when he was at LSU. Now, though, I can't be certain either way.

Jamarcus might have a rocket arm, but he's no where near as accurate with it as Jay is with his...Jay puts shit through really small windows.

When Jamarcus can deliver the ball fast enough for the CB not to be able to react, and make a play on it....Then we can say Jamarcus' name in the same breath as Cutler...

TXBRONC
10-09-2008, 07:41 PM
Jamarcus might have a rocket arm, but he's no where near as accurate with it as Jay is with his...Jay puts shit through really small windows.

When Jamarcus can deliver the ball fast enough for the CB not to be able to react, and make a play on it....Then we can say Jamarcus' name in the same breath as Cutler...

For that matter Elway wasn't as accurate Jay is.

Lonestar
10-09-2008, 07:45 PM

Until there is no cap we have to live with a certain amount of how much we can pay.. Everyone thinks that Marshall we get huge bucks and then we have royale to pay in a couple of years.. Just how much money is Jay really worth 70-80 million over a 4-5 year period that will account for about 10-15% of the cap. If other teams have more room and are a bigger city endorsement wise there is a good chance he is out of here..

I think it is obscene amount of money but it could very well happen..

There is only so money money to go around.. some one will have to go..

It already sounds like he thinks he is the best.

He may want to play for an East coast team that has better weather or better players... who knows what evil lurks in the minds of men..

BroncoWave
10-09-2008, 07:45 PM
Elway was supposed to be a Yankees superstar because he has a cannon arm.

http://www.naxcom.com/images/elway_Yanks.jpg

Thank god he didn't spend too much time in that ugly-ass uniform!

NameUsedBefore
10-09-2008, 07:51 PM
Jrwiz, there's no way in Hell Cutler walks out of this organization the first time he re-signs. He'll want a lot of money, just like Manning, and just like Manning he will get it. You don't scoff at a franchise QB's asking price, not in the age of the Manning's, Brady, Roethlisberger etc.

Lonestar
10-09-2008, 08:00 PM
Jrwiz, there's no way in Hell Cutler walks out of this organization the first time he re-signs. He'll want a lot of money, just like Manning, and just like Manning he will get it. You don't scoff at a franchise QB's asking price, not in the age of the Manning's, Brady, Roethlisberger etc.

just figure who has to leave for him to re-sign.. money does not grow on trees..

you have marshall and royale coming up for huge contracts also..

Who leaves?

OMorange&blue
10-09-2008, 08:05 PM
Ohh...Mahhh...Gaawwwddd

TXBRONC
10-09-2008, 08:32 PM
just figure who has to leave for him to re-sign.. money does not grow on trees..

Who leaves?

Ok money doesn't grow on trees, but cap can be managed so that all three would fit under it.

Now its beyond me why you would include a rookie who just signed a contract with two players that have been in the League for three years. By the time Cutler and Marshall come due Royal's contract will still wont be issue.

Buff
10-09-2008, 08:48 PM

Who leaves?

Shanahan will ship the whole defense out of town before he loses his QB... He's been waiting since '98 to land a guy like Cutler... Cutler will be here as long as Shanny is. (Kind of like Nate Jackson, haha)

Benetto
10-09-2008, 08:50 PM
Shanahan will ship the whole defense out of town before he loses his QB... He's been waiting since '98 to land a guy like Cutler... Cutler will be here as long as Shanny is. (Kind of like Nate Jackson, haha)

My thoughts exactly..

TXBRONC
10-09-2008, 09:02 PM

I don't see not re-signing Marshall and Royal as well.

topscribe
10-09-2008, 09:35 PM

Best post in the thread.

Sounds as if Elway feels the same way.

-----

BroncoNut
10-09-2008, 09:41 PM
Best post in the thread.

Sounds as if Elway feels the same way.

-----

that's what I tried telling him too, but apparently he's had better ones.

slim
10-09-2008, 09:42 PM
that's what I tried telling him too, but apparently he's had better ones.

nut, when are you going to put up an avy?

aberdien
10-09-2008, 09:59 PM
I really hope we are not getting too cocky.

omac
10-09-2008, 10:49 PM
:D LOL at some of the reactions here, just because Jay said his arm is stronger than Elway's. I'm sure you all have noticed during Jay's interviews, that whenever the topic of Elway is mentioned, he gives the reporters a juicy bit to chomp on. When he made his first few comeback wins and the reporter was about to compare to compare him to Elway, he beats them to it and says "just like Elway". I'm sure he puts a lot of those out just to get a stir, and a lot of people bite into it, hook, line, and sinker. :fishhook:

From what I get, right now, his comments reflect that he doesn't care about being compared to Elway. Too many of the QBs after him let Elway's shadow affect them too much; right now, not Cutler. He's got his blinders on, and he's doing his best to keep the team focussed on keeping the stranglehold on the AFC West title. In this team, few players have their head screwed on better than Cutler, and that's a good thing for our QB to have. :rockon:

slim
10-09-2008, 10:51 PM
I really hope we are not getting too cocky.

Who is we, white man?

OB
10-09-2008, 11:13 PM
http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=469497

Jay Cutler is the NFL's most gifted young passer -- and he knows it.

The Broncos' third-year quarterback is high on his arm and high on his team's chances to make the Super Bowl, Sporting News' Steve Greenberg found out in Cutler's first major print interview outside the football environment (team facility, stadium, etc.) since being drafted.

Below are excerpts from the story -- and SN contributor John Elway's column -- both of which can be found in the new Sporting News magazine, which is on newsstands now.

-- Cutler on his arm vs. John Elway's: "I have a stronger arm than John, hands down. I'll bet on it against anybody's in the league. Brett Favre's got a cannon. But on game days, there's nobody in the league who's going to throw it harder than I am at all."

-- Cutler on whether there is a team in the AFC with a better chance to reach the Super Bowl than Denver: "I don't think so. With Tom (Brady) out, I think there are three, four, five teams that have a legitimate shot of getting there."

-- Cutler on how surprised he'll be if the Broncos don't win the AFC West: "At this point, pretty surprised. Very surprised, actually."

-- Cutler on his expectation that the Broncos will score every time they have the ball: "I think we can score 30-plus points a game. I don't see why we couldn't."

-- Cutler on his battle with Type 1 diabetes: "I lost 35, 36 pounds. I was always tired. My mouth was always dry. I didn't really want to play football. I didn't really want to go out there. I was tired before the game and exhausted after the game. I'd sleep all the time."

-- Elway on comparisons between himself and Cutler: "Some people have asked how he compares to me. He's closer to me physically than personalitywise. But even I struggled a bit with expectations and the Denver spotlight when I was his age. It can be overwhelming. Once he wins some big games, he'll start to feel like he belongs. It didn't happen for me until my fourth year, when we went to Cleveland and won "The Drive" game. It was a big boost for me to win the AFC championship game, especially on the road."

-- Elway on what's next for Cutler: "Cutler just needs to keep growing. His teammates' confidence in him and the coaches' confidence in his abilities have grown by leaps and bounds this year. It's obvious. Hey, everybody follows a winner. And he's going to win a lot of NFL games."

IE- didnt read everyones comments

Heres mine

A. Cutler with this cocky ass attitude scares me but excites me

B. NO ONE -IMHO- NO ONE has or will have a STRONGER arm than Elway - did he not throw a home run from home plate at Yankee stadium when drafted by YES everyone the YANKEES

C. Obviously this was done before the last 2/3 games - sounds like a poster on the board who said the same thing about scoring 30+ per game - didnt happen n wont

D. Playoff bound we are - SB - we need a defense and a TEAM that will play both O and D on the same day :coffee:

E. Diabetes - glad u have concurred it - dont get a big head cuz of it - TD and migraines comes to mind - n he didnt brag about it

F. Elway - the epitome of class grace n such will never say anything that would discourage a current bronco - again showing why NO ONE WILL EVER replace him or come close

Broncos Mtnman
10-09-2008, 11:13 PM
Oh my.....

The greatest of all blunders. Jay actually compared one of his physical attributes to the Mighty John Elway.

He didn't say he was better than he was. He didn't compare his abilities to John's. He simply said he feels his arm is stronger. But, since it was a comparison to "Mr. Walks On Water" Elway, he's being ridiculed.

Give me a break.

:coffee:

WARHORSE
10-09-2008, 11:23 PM
Cutler can throw it 80 yards? 85?

Elway, at the same age, had a bigger arm. Sorry Jay.

AND, Elway could throw as accurately on the run as most could sitting in the pocket.

I dont think theres enough of a difference in Elways and Jays arm to make a difference either way.

I WILL say that Jay has a more consistently quick release. Whether on the run or in the pocket.

As for him coming out and saying it, Im not sure how he worded it, or how his tones were, I didnt hear him say it. But if he was saying it in a disrespectful way...........then shut up punk. lol...........:coffee:

One thing I'll say as well............totally different demeanors between 6 and 7.

Im wondering if one day Jays anger is going to cost us a big game.:confused:

topscribe
10-09-2008, 11:38 PM
Cutler can throw it 80 yards? 85?

Elway, at the same age, had a bigger arm. Sorry Jay.

AND, Elway could throw as accurately on the run as most could sitting in the pocket.

I dont think theres enough of a difference in Elways and Jays arm to make a difference either way.

I WILL say that Jay has a more consistently quick release. Whether on the run or in the pocket.

As for him coming out and saying it, Im not sure how he worded it, or how his tones were, I didnt hear him say it. But if he was saying it in a disrespectful way...........then shut up punk. lol...........:coffee:

One thing I'll say as well............totally different demeanors between 6 and 7.

Maybe Cutler can. Have you seen him try? Have you seen Cutler and Elway,
side-by-side, throwing it far as they can?

I remember a thread on Mania, where they were talking about the strongest
arm among several QBs, past and present. They all had their opinions, most
placing Cutler way down the line, and most claiming Elway had the strongest.

And none of them had seen everybody in action . . . some of them hadn't
seen anybody, except maybe on TV. :lol:

Anyway, I just read that Cutler said that with a grin on his face, which
tells me he had his tongue in his cheek at the time. Elway, however, had a
more serious opinion, that Cutler may have as strong an arm as Elway did
in his younger years and definitely has a stronger one than Elway did in his
later years.

Those are opinions to which I give credibility.

-----

Poet
10-09-2008, 11:41 PM
A lot of guys have a stronger arm than Elway. If Elway grew up right now with his natural arm strength he would probably have the strongest in the league. Athletes constantly get bigger, stronger, and faster. Just the way of life.

Cutler would do well to become as good as Elway..............

topscribe
10-09-2008, 11:45 PM
A lot of guys have a stronger arm than Elway. If Elway grew up right now with his natural arm strength he would probably have the strongest in the league. Athletes constantly get bigger, stronger, and faster. Just the way of life.

Once again, where did you see all those "lot of guys"?

-----

omac
10-09-2008, 11:46 PM

I think he's just taking more control of the team. He looks like a perfectionist by nature, and he seems equally hard on himself and his teammates. Remember when the posters here used to say they wish Jay would get fired up more? :D

Peyton looks like he's equally tough on his team, so maybe it's not a bad thing. :cheers:

OB
10-09-2008, 11:50 PM
Winning games and arm strength are completely unrelated, ask Jeff George. I think we can actually prove who has the stronger arm if we get enough footage. Back in the day NTSC signals were 30 frames per second (I think) so we should be able to see how far the ball travels between frames and gauge velocity. Somebody without a life, get on that!:confused:

Also, everybody go to the today show.com and check out the piece on me and my dad... awesome! We have watched bronco games together since 1984. I wore my bronco blanket on national television even though I wasn't supposed to have anything with symbols, because I roll like a rebel. =) I crack myself up:lol::laugh:

Should that second part be a completely separate thread? All comments both nice or filled with douche-baggery welcome.

Am i the only one who saw this WTF - this needs a thread of its own - i still cant stop crying

Seriously - i dont fall for internet BS and i hope no one would be so lame as to grab this for their own BS - I cant believe anyone would

Show me the thread about THIS

Poet
10-09-2008, 11:51 PM
Once again, where did you see all those "lot of guys"?

-----

Vince Young's is as strong as Cutler, roughly mind you. I remembered watching their competition at the combine or whatever. Since you and I seem to agree about Cutler being up there with Elway, he fits the bill.

I have heard experts argue that the strongest arm ever belong to Terry Bradshaw.

Hell, even the almighty bust like Akili Smith had a cannon of an arm.

Mike Vick had one of the strongest arms in league history.

Culpepper also comes to mind.

Mr. Favre himself has a claim to that title. Look how strong his arm is now, his arm was a damn WMD in his prime.

I am not arguing those QBs to be better, or nearly as good as Elway. I am arguing pure arm strength.

honz
10-09-2008, 11:51 PM
I think he's just taking more control of the team. He looks like a perfectionist by nature, and he seems equally hard on himself and his teammates. Remember when the posters here used to say they wish Jay would get fired up more? :D

Peyton looks like he's equally tough on his team, so maybe it's not a bad thing. :cheers:
Early this season I didn't really like how Jay was yelling at Nasty Nate and Scheff when they dropped a couple of passes, but he is indeed equally hard on himself. I noticed the past couple of weeks that he looks just as pissed when he misses a throw or makes a mistake as he is when one of his receivers makes a mistake.

I think Jay has just become the true leader of this team and he expects his offense to dominate. Nothing wrong with that as long as his teammates don't take offense to the occasional lashing.

slim
10-09-2008, 11:54 PM
Early this season I didn't really like how Jay was yelling at Nasty Nate and Scheff when they dropped a couple of passes, but he is indeed equally hard on himself. I noticed the past couple of weeks that he looks just as pissed when he misses a throw or makes a mistake as he is when one of his receivers makes a mistake.

I think Jay has just become the true leader of this team and he expects his offense to dominate. Nothing wrong with that as long as his teammates don't take offense to the occasional lashing.

Thank God, I was hoping you would see the light.

omac
10-09-2008, 11:59 PM

Cutler's development is moving along just fine. At least he takes every opportunity to get better, even during the off off season. Some quarterbacks don't even attend voluntary OTAs. :coffee:

Forget Elway, Palmer would do well to become as good as he was 2 years ago.

Poet
10-10-2008, 12:02 AM
Cutler's development is moving along just fine. At least he takes every opportunity to get better, even during the off off season. Some quarterbacks don't even attend voluntary OTAs. :coffee:

Forget Elway, Palmer would do well to become as good as he was 2 years ago.

How do you take what I said and get defensive? You are reading it wrong, and quite frankly you need to calm down my man. I love Jay Cutler. Hell, since my Bengals are sucking it up I find myself rooting for the Broncs when they are on. Mainly because I like this site and find the fans to be kind and friendly

Palmer would do well to become as good as who two years ago? If you are referring to Cutler I would recommend that you realize that Palmer plays on a team with two good WRs, and only two good WRs for a supporting cast.

No, I am not getting into a Palmer versus Cutler debate, but be realistic.

I think I may have misread your post Omac. My bad.

BroncoWave
Oh my.....

The greatest of all blunders. Jay actually compared one of his physical attributes to the Mighty John Elway.

He didn't say he was better than he was. He didn't compare his abilities to John's. He simply said he feels his arm is stronger. But, since it was a comparison to "Mr. Walks On Water" Elway, he's being ridiculed.

Give me a break.

That's actually exactly what I was thinking! I love Elway to death but it's not going to kill you guys to admit that someone else might have attributes better than he had.

topscribe
Vince Young's is as strong as Cutler, roughly mind you. I remembered watching their competition at the combine or whatever. Since you and I seem to agree about Cutler being up there with Elway, he fits the bill.

I have heard experts argue that the strongest arm ever belong to Terry Bradshaw.

Hell, even the almighty bust like Akili Smith had a cannon of an arm.

Mike Vick had one of the strongest arms in league history.

Culpepper also comes to mind.

Mr. Favre himself has a claim to that title. Look how strong his arm is now, his arm was a damn WMD in his prime.

I am not arguing those QBs to be better, or nearly as good as Elway. I am arguing pure arm strength.

And I've seen a lot of arguments. I have never seen facts. I don't know.
I don't think anybody else does, either. But Elway did comment that he
once threw the ball 92 yards. And he was anything but a braggart.

But again, I don't know how anyone could know who had the strongest arm.
And anyone who tries to tell me who did is talking beyond his own
knowledge.

Who has the strongest arm is not important. Speaking from authority is.

EDIT: I do have to say that Elway might have made his statement about
92 yards in a tongue-in-cheek way, too. I don't know because I read it in
print, where I couldn't pick up the facial expressions and gestures, obviously.

-----

OB
10-10-2008, 12:03 AM
Forget Elway, Palmer

:throwrock:

Dude what r u smoking, injecting or inhaling - cause if it make u that stupid i want some

Poet
10-10-2008, 12:05 AM

knowledge.

-----

I agree with you wholeheartedly. The only way you could tell would be some sort of rigorous test/s that would be futile. I would be willing to bank that some QBs are stronger than others at intermediate routes, on the run, deep routes, short routes, etc etc etc. The variable are too great.

topscribe
10-10-2008, 12:06 AM
How do you take what I said and get defensive? You are reading it wrong, and quite frankly you need to calm down my man. I love Jay Cutler. Hell, since my Bengals are sucking it up I find myself rooting for the Broncs when they are on. Mainly because I like this site and find the fans to be kind and friendly

Palmer would do well to become as good as who two years ago? If you are referring to Cutler I would recommend that you realize that Palmer plays on a team with two good WRs, and only two good WRs for a supporting cast.

No, I am not getting into a Palmer versus Cutler debate, but be realistic, and drop the attitude.

Well, that's true. It would be a mistake to compare the two QBs in two very
different circumstances.

But take it easy, okay?

-----

omac
10-10-2008, 12:28 AM

No, I am not getting into a Palmer versus Cutler debate, but be realistic.

I think I may have misread your post Omac. My bad.

I sent you a pm, but anyway ....

You're right, I'm sorry. I was way out of line. I apologize.

Truth is, I've always said Palmer is at worst the 3rd best QB in the league, after Manning/Brady. I believe the problem with the Bengals is coaching; Palmer is one of the good things in Cincy, and he will be among the best again.

Peace? :beer:

Poet
10-10-2008, 12:40 AM
I sent you a pm, but anyway ....

You're right, I'm sorry. I was way out of line. I apologize.

Truth is, I've always said Palmer is at worst the 3rd best QB in the league, after Manning/Brady. I believe the problem with the Bengals is coaching; Palmer is one of the good things in Cincy, and he will be among the best again.

Peace? :beer:

I was out of line too.

I think Palmer has been passed by Brees. I would say Tony Romo, but when I watch him play it seems like he just makes throws that aren't all that hard to the best TE in the league (in my opinon) and TO (who is a jerk but one of the best scoring players EVER, and the guy is a WR).

Palmer has a tendency to audible into running plays too often. He also is not a good scrambler and plays behind an inconsistent, and dysfunctional line.

I think he is barely in the top five, although I couldn't argue with people who have in outside of that scope. I think if Cutler continues to kill it this year and next year he would surpass Palmer unless Palmer goes back to 05 form.

No hard feelings!

But back on topic, does anyone think that some QBs could be stronger than other QBs on specifc routes, or throws? That is was I happen to think. From what I have seen, QBs such as Palmer, Big Ben, and the like have arms as strong as a guy like Peyton Manning. However, Manning seems to be able to throw the ball better and with more force than either of the two on long distances. I have also noticed that Palmer throws the ball with more force on passes in the 10-25 yard range than Manning.

Thoughts?

omac
10-10-2008, 01:12 AM
I was out of line too.

I think Palmer has been passed by Brees. I would say Tony Romo, but when I watch him play it seems like he just makes throws that aren't all that hard to the best TE in the league (in my opinon) and TO (who is a jerk but one of the best scoring players EVER, and the guy is a WR).

Palmer has a tendency to audible into running plays too often. He also is not a good scrambler and plays behind an inconsistent, and dysfunctional line.

I think he is barely in the top five, although I couldn't argue with people who have in outside of that scope. I think if Cutler continues to kill it this year and next year he would surpass Palmer unless Palmer goes back to 05 form.

No hard feelings!

But back on topic, does anyone think that some QBs could be stronger than other QBs on specifc routes, or throws? That is was I happen to think. From what I have seen, QBs such as Palmer, Big Ben, and the like have arms as strong as a guy like Peyton Manning. However, Manning seems to be able to throw the ball better and with more force than either of the two on long distances. I have also noticed that Palmer throws the ball with more force on passes in the 10-25 yard range than Manning.

Thoughts?

Last off-topic before anything ... Thanks man! :cheers: Btw, in '05, Palmer had a great OL, 3 excellent targets, and Rudi was doing pretty good if I remember correctly. For me, Palmer reads defenses easily better than Romo, maybe on par with Brees, gets rid of the ball in a timely fashion much better than Big Ben, and has a much better arm than Brady/Manning/Brees. I don't know what happened to their OL since then, but fix that and the coaching and he'll be among the best again.

On topic ... yeah, some QBs have better velocity depending on the type of throws. Brady can zip those short ones; he's developed his arm strength for the deep ball, but even then, it's more of proper technique, planting the feet. Manning also has zip on the short ones; the deeper ones kind of hang more. JaMarcus might be able to throw the deepest ball, but his short ones don't always have zip; he doesn't need to be set to throw, though. Tons of QBs now have great arms. I heard Tarvaris is supposed to have good arm strength too; he has to plant, though. VY throws great INTs, hehehe. :D

Shep
10-10-2008, 01:28 AM
I think Jay was just screwing around anyway. Throwing a jab at the guy he knows very well and idolizes. Kinda like Jordan did to Magic and Barkley when he joined the league.

BCJ
10-10-2008, 02:09 AM
Now that i think of it, Cutler does throw harder than Elway.......but Elway is close to 50 years old so Cutler might have an edge on him.

broncosinindy
10-10-2008, 06:50 AM
how many broken fingers has jay given?

TXBRONC
10-10-2008, 08:02 AM
Oh my.....

Give me a break.

I hear ya brother. It is something that I pointed out as well.

BroncoWave
10-10-2008, 09:04 AM
how many broken fingers has jay given?

It's possible that receivers are much stronger today than back when Elway played? :noidea:

TXBRONC
10-10-2008, 09:07 AM
Maybe Cutler can. Have you seen him try? Have you seen Cutler and Elway,
side-by-side, throwing it far as they can?

I remember a thread on Mania, where they were talking about the strongest
arm among several QBs, past and present. They all had their opinions, most
placing Cutler way down the line, and most claiming Elway had the strongest.

And none of them had seen everybody in action . . . some of them hadn't
seen anybody, except maybe on TV. :lol:

Anyway, I just read that Cutler said that with a grin on his face, which
tells me he had his tongue in his cheek at the time. Elway, however, had a
more serious opinion, that Cutler may have as strong an arm as Elway did
in his younger years and definitely has a stronger one than Elway did in his
later years.

Those are opinions to which I give credibility.

-----

To me this just isn't big deal. It really doesn't matter to if Jay is right in his claim or not. Again like you said Top, Jay said it with a grin on his face, so very much sounds like he was joking around.

BroncoJoe
10-10-2008, 09:17 AM
Much adoo about nothing.

broncophan
10-10-2008, 01:43 PM
Lets see..............a stronger arm.......................or 5 Super Bowl appearances......with 2 wins.....................hmmmmmmm........:confused :

WARHORSE
10-10-2008, 01:54 PM

knowledge.

EDIT: I do have to say that Elway might have made his statement about
92 yards in a tongue-in-cheek way, too. I don't know because I read it in
print, where I couldn't pick up the facial expressions and gestures, obviously.

-----

I saw a highlight reel of Elway throwing it about 82 yds during a game. Cutler himself when he first came to Denver was asked how far he could throw it. He said 74 yds.

I believe him. One thing about Jays ball though, I think he throws with alot more revs than alot of QBs. Thats the kind of ball that cuts the air in all kinds of weather.

Either way, it will not determine how good a QB Cutler becomes.

TXBRONC
10-10-2008, 01:58 PM
I saw a highlight reel of Elway throwing it about 82 yds during a game. Cutler himself when he first came to Denver was asked how far he could throw it. He said 74 yds.

I believe him. One thing about Jays ball though, I think he throws with alot more revs than alot of QBs. Thats the kind of ball that cuts the air in all kinds of weather.

Either way, it will not determine how good a QB Cutler becomes.

Agreed, Jay is more consistent in throwing tight spiral than Elway was. He's also a more accurate passer at this stage of his career than John was.

BroncoJoe
10-10-2008, 02:16 PM
Elway's biggest problem early on was he couldn't take the heat off his balls, and struggled a bit just lofting it to the right place.

Haven't noticed that as much with Jay.

I'm just glad both are/were Broncos.

TXBRONC
10-10-2008, 02:18 PM
Elway's biggest problem early on was he couldn't take the heat off his balls, and struggled a bit just lofting it to the right place.

Haven't noticed that as much with Jay.

I'm just glad both are/were Broncos.

For that BroncoJoe this salute is for you. :salute:

underrated29
10-10-2008, 02:20 PM
Yes- Jays balls are always revving faster than most others. his overall power though and total distance can be beaten i think. he also has a super quick release.

i still think that his passes are going to get stronger and faster. It seemed like Johns passes really started getting steam several years into his career....dunno, wasnt really alive back then, but from the old videos i have seen.

The confidence he has is awesome. you cant be the best unless you beat the best. he surely seems like he wont stop until he does that.

OB
10-10-2008, 02:20 PM
I wonder who has the bigger - oh wait never mind - not the lounge - not the lounge - :D

TXBRONC
10-10-2008, 02:33 PM
Yes- Jays balls are always revving faster than most others. his overall power though and total distance can be beaten i think. he also has a super quick release.

i still think that his passes are going to get stronger and faster. It seemed like Johns passes really started getting steam several years into his career....dunno, wasnt really alive back then, but from the old videos i have seen.

The confidence he has is awesome. you cant be the best unless you beat the best. he surely seems like he wont stop until he does that.

I don't know Under for Jay to be able put a ball in the tight windows that I've seen he would have to have power/velosity similar to that of Elway. Anyway, I would hate to live on the difference.

hamrob
10-10-2008, 03:32 PM
Look, I love Jay. Hey, his arm my even be as strong as John's...but why compare him to Elway? I mean come on. Elway took his team to (5) Superbowls...that's right (5)! He's the only QB ever to start on five Superbowl teams...and he has two rings. Played 16 yrs and went to the Superbowl 5 times. That's like once every three years folks!!!

So, whether Jay has better touch than John or a stronger arm than...who cares? Let's wait until Jay plays in at least (1) Superbowl...before we start to compare the two. Don't you think that makes sense?

Nick
10-10-2008, 03:39 PM
He has a stronger arm. Prior to draft Favre made a great comment because they shared the same agent. Favre said somthing about how he can throw a ball over a mountain... Jay can not just throw it over but can throw through it. :lol:

BroncoJoe
10-10-2008, 03:42 PM
Look, I love Jay. Hey, his arm my even be as strong as John's...but why compare him to Elway? I mean come on. Elway took his team to (5) Superbowls...that's right (5)! He's the only QB ever to start on five Superbowl teams...and he has two rings. Played 16 yrs and went to the Superbowl 5 times. That's like once every three years folks!!!

So, whether Jay has better touch than John or a stronger arm than...who cares? Let's wait until Jay plays in at least (1) Superbowl...before we start to compare the two. Don't you think that makes sense?

I agree. BUT, as I said before, I'm thankful both are Broncos. It is truly rare where you can have two (one potential) superstars at that position within a decade. 49'ers are the only other team I can think of.

LRtagger
10-10-2008, 03:49 PM
He has a stronger arm. Prior to draft Favre made a great comment because they shared the same agent. Favre said somthing about how he can throw a ball over a mountain... Jay can not just throw it over but can throw through it. :lol:

How much you wanna bet I can throw a football over them mountains?

http://bp2.blogger.com/_0bxL05nPVAc/R_9Ve1dWn1I/AAAAAAAAABY/bNCT6AyNTVY/s320/uncle_rico.jpg

Dreadnought
10-10-2008, 03:53 PM
I think Cutler's arm is at least as strong, and he has better accuracy and touch. I think he's already a better pure passer.

Does he have the same competitive fire Elway had? We'll see, and thats the million $ question.

topscribe
10-10-2008, 03:59 PM
How much you wanna bet I can throw a football over them mountains?

http://bp2.blogger.com/_0bxL05nPVAc/R_9Ve1dWn1I/AAAAAAAAABY/bNCT6AyNTVY/s320/uncle_rico.jpg

We're not talking about that roadmap you have spread out in front of you. :D

-----

BroncoWave
10-10-2008, 04:16 PM

What does comparing arm strength have to do with Elway's 5 SB appearances? :confused:

BroncoNut
10-10-2008, 04:22 PM
I was just playing catch with my dog and was pretending that I was Jay Cutler and he was Brandon Marshall. A few got away from me, but I displayed some good arm strength. Brandon (Schultz) is a great receiver,

in more than one way (O.K. Cswil, happy now)

hamrob
10-10-2008, 04:35 PM
What does comparing arm strength have to do with Elway's 5 SB appearances? :confused:Nothing...if that's all we're comparing. However, many of these posts are going past arm strength and delving into comparable talents. We can compare arm strength all we want. It's nice to have that situation handed to us. But, when we start talking about overall talent...you can't compare the two. Not at this stage anyway...that's my point.

Shep
10-10-2008, 04:51 PM
I wonder how far Jay can throw this:

http://ak.buy.com/db_assets/prod_lrg_images/704/206928704.jpg

TXBRONC
10-10-2008, 09:09 PM
I think Cutler's arm is at least as strong, and he has better accuracy and touch. I think he's already a better pure passer.

Does he have the same competitive fire Elway had? We'll see, and thats the million $ question.

The arm strength is debatable because we don't have both players in their prime standing side by side throwing bombs.

One the thing that is indisputable is the accuracy. Jay is more accurate than John was.

MasterShake
10-10-2008, 10:40 PM
The arm strength is debatable because we don't have both players in there prime standing side by side throwing bombs.

One the thing that is indisputable is the accuracy. Jay is more accurate than John was.

I think the confidence is a good thing with Jay. I don't think he has a stronger arm, but if he does good for him.

It reminds me of the line in Ghostbusters, "Ray, next time someone asks you if you are a god you say 'YES!' "

topscribe
10-10-2008, 11:25 PM
I don't know Under for Jay to be able put a ball in the tight windows that I've seen he would have to have power/velosity similar to that of Elway. Anyway, I would hate to live on the difference.

Well, as has been mentioned, Elway himself said they are similar.

-----

Broncolingus
10-10-2008, 11:31 PM
I will need to see indisputable video evidence of that statement...

http://weblogs.newsday.com/sports/KBQB_blog/hochblog.jpg

Darrin Crow
10-10-2008, 11:55 PM
This is my first post on this forum - found it by accident and enjoy the conversation. I'm trying to let Lance Carr know how much I appreciated his thankfulness for his parents... hope this is in the right place.

Darrin Crow
10-10-2008, 11:56 PM
Thanks for the story...

topscribe
10-11-2008, 01:35 AM
I will need to see indisputable video evidence of that statement...

It is all over the news . . . Denver papers and just about anywhere.

Here (http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/sports_blog/2008/10/jay-cutler-arme.html) is an article from the L.A. Times for your viewing pleasure.

The full article is to appear in Sporting News, as I understand.

-----

Coast Guard
10-11-2008, 09:06 AM
Jay Cutler: 'I have a stronger arm' than Elway.

It's fun to compare, but at the end of the day the only thing that matters is wins. I hope when it's all said and done...Cutler owns EVERY Broncos QB record including SB wins (and appearances).

Gotta love his confidence! I guess they could always arm wrestle in the off season.

Simple Jaded
10-11-2008, 11:59 AM
I'll betcha Elway's receivers would say that Cutler is full of shit, and he is......

BroncoWave
10-11-2008, 12:25 PM
I'll betcha Elway's receivers would say that Cutler is full of shit, and he is......

Unless Elway's receivers caught passes from Cutler too, they really wouldn't be qualified to say. :noidea:

Simple Jaded
10-11-2008, 12:48 PM
Unless Elway's receivers caught passes from Cutler too, they really wouldn't be qualified to say. :noidea:
True, but then neither is Cutler himself.

I'm thinking that Elway's receivers had some physical reasons to disagree, such as mangled fingures and "Elway Crosses" that you don't hear about from Cutler's receivers.

I like Cutler's confidence, I just don't think his arm is stronger than Elway's......

weazel
10-11-2008, 01:05 PM
who cares...

my shoes are faster than your shoes.

jcnftc
10-11-2008, 01:06 PM
mr.quaterback in your mind, hey jay, you can talk trash, after you have gone to at least one superbowl, and have won one. and as far as the arm strength goes. tell me, you could put it on a frozen rope, rolling to your left, and throwing back to the right about 70 yards, never getting more than 8 feet above the ground, then you can talk. maybe, John, did't have the strongest arm (ha ha), but he didn't need to talk to make himself, the leader he was and still is. This is still Elway's town, until you put the franchise on your back and do the things he did, a little less talk, and more action would be the key, to winning the bronco faithful over. jcn

Dean
10-11-2008, 01:21 PM
Personally I don't think that Cutler has as strong an arm as the young Elway but that is not the main issue as I see it.

Why would any QB in Denver (especially one who is in his third year) state that he has a stronger arm than Elway? Surely he realized that many fans would not take kindly to the comparison.

:questionmark:

honz
10-11-2008, 02:25 PM
I have a question: can Elway part the sea as well as walk on water?

Poet
10-11-2008, 03:11 PM

Only on Sundays......

MasterShake
10-11-2008, 03:36 PM
Personally I don't think that Cutler has as strong an arm as the young Elway but that is not the main issue as I see it.

Why would any QB in Denver (especially one who is in his third year) state that he has a stronger arm than Elway? Surely he realized that many fans would not take kindly to the comparison.

I don't think so. This city has been wanting another Elway since he retired, now we may have someone better. You get what you wish for, butt heads! :salute:

Just kidding. I would have LOVED to see a young Elway on this team with the kind of weapons Cutler has, as well as a more open playbook. Also Shannahan as his coach. There's just too many variables to compare the two.

honz
10-11-2008, 04:24 PM
I don't think so. This city has been wanting another Elway since he retired, now we may have someone better. You get what you wish for, butt heads! :salute:

Just kidding. I would have LOVED to see a young Elway on this team with the kind of weapons Cutler has, as well as a more open playbook. Also Shannahan as his coach. There's just too many variables to compare the two.

I agree. I can almost guarantee that a young Elway would have said the same thing if he was asked if his arm is stronger than a player like Cutler or Favre. Personally, confidence is the first thing I want to see in a young QB.

If Cutler said the same thing when being compared to any other QB besides Elway, I have a feeling many people's reactions would be different.

BroncoWave
10-11-2008, 04:40 PM
mr.quaterback in your mind, hey jay, you can talk trash, after you have gone to at least one superbowl, and have won one. and as far as the arm strength goes. tell me, you could put it on a frozen rope, rolling to your left, and throwing back to the right about 70 yards, never getting more than 8 feet above the ground, then you can talk. maybe, John, did't have the strongest arm (ha ha), but he didn't need to talk to make himself, the leader he was and still is. This is still Elway's town, until you put the franchise on your back and do the things he did, a little less talk, and more action would be the key, to winning the bronco faithful over. jcn

Good god people, I don't see how anyone sees this as talking trash. Cutler just feels that he has a stronger arm, that is all. It's not like he said "OMG, Elway sucks and I'm 10 times the player he was." That would be trash talk, but not just saying he has a stronger arm. Besides, people who saw the clip said that he said it with a grin on his face, which would imply that he may have just been saying it in jest.

BroncoWave
10-11-2008, 04:41 PM

I think some people in Denver need to get over Elway. He's been retired for almost 10 years. It's time to move on.

Northman
10-11-2008, 04:45 PM
Its not about getting over Elway. Its about just realizing that there are going to be some OTHER great athletes in the Bronco's history for the future. I hardly doubt John is getting all worked up over these comments. He's probably having Jay shine his super bowl rings as we speak.

Denver Native (Carol)
10-11-2008, 05:14 PM
I think some people in Denver need to get over Elway. He's been retired for almost 10 years. It's time to move on.

Many long time Bronco fans will never get over Elway. There is no way I will ever forget his greatness with the Broncos, and there are many other Broncos that I will never forget either.

Northman
10-11-2008, 05:18 PM
Many long time Bronco fans will never get over Elway. There is no way I will ever forget his greatness with the Broncos, and there are many other Broncos that I will never forget either.

Exactly. He was my idol growing up and im not scared to admit i was brought to tears with our first SB victory. The pain of the first 3 SB's and the constant bogus comments about Elway never being that great because of the losses was put to rest after that win. But it also doesnt mean that i will not recognize great players in the present or future.

topscribe
10-11-2008, 05:21 PM

Not the way they reported it, no. But, as I have said several times over,
one reporter, and one alone, stated that Cutler had a grin on his face when
he said it. Frankly, I am amazed that anyone is taking him seriously. It should
be obvious, after all his pressers and interviews, that Cutler likes to joke and
kid around.

I suspect that most reporters did not tell the whole story because it is
better for them, they think, if they put Cutler across as bragging. That will
get more readers and responses than just about anything else.

Really, folks, journalism is dead. What we have now are generally a bunch
of liars who report what they think will raise responses such as we have
seen here in this thread. We need to stop commenting on their stories as if
we believe them.

IMHO.

-----

Northman
10-11-2008, 05:24 PM
Not the way they reported it, no. But, as I have said several times over,
one reporter, and one alone, stated that Cutler had a grin on his face when
he said it. Frankly, I am amazed that anyone is taking him seriously. It should
be obvious, after all his pressers and interviews, that Cutler likes to joke and
kid around.

I suspect that most reporters did not tell the whole story because it is
better for them, they think, if they put Cutler across as bragging. That will
get more readers and responses than just about anything else.

Really, folks, journalism is dead. What we have now are generally a bunch
of liars who report what they think will raise responses such as we have
seen here in this thread. We need to stop commenting on their stories as if
we believe them.

IMHO.

-----

No doubt. Have we learned nothing from watching Shannon run his mouth about everything and anything? :lol:

omac
10-11-2008, 05:38 PM
Exactly. He was my idol growing up and im not scared to admit i was brought to tears with our first SB victory. The pain of the first 3 SB's and the constant bogus comments about Elway never being that great because of the losses was put to rest after that win. But it also doesnt mean that i will not recognize great players in the present or future.

Some people consider it sacrilege to compare a current player with an all-time great, and it sometimes prevents them from seeing just how special a player is. Sometimes, it's other factors .... :wink:

But here, all Cutler said was that he has a stronger arm than Elway, and he said it with a grin, but it was enough to get people's panties in a bunch. And I'm pretty sure that's what he wanted to do. :D

Northman
10-11-2008, 05:46 PM
Some people consider it sacrilege to compare a current player with an all-time great, and it sometimes prevents them from seeing just how special a player is. Sometimes, it's other factors .... :wink:

The funny thing is, what if Jay breaks all kinds of records and wins 6 Super Bowls? I would think that would put him on top of the list but still wouldnt take anything away from John or any other Bronco great. For now, John is till the man to beat and if Jay thinks he has the tools to do so im all for it. :D

TXBRONC
10-11-2008, 06:06 PM

Carol BTB didn't say forget John, but lets all be careful not let things like this be taken as personal insult or we that need to defend John's honor. I'm not saying you are taking that way but rather its a reminder to all of us.

TXBRONC
10-11-2008, 07:56 PM
I don't bring this in to add fuel to the fire but maybe it can put things into prespective.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_10689118

Klis: Elway legend strong-armed
By Mike Klis
The Denver Post
Article Last Updated: 10/11/2008 12:52:42 AM MDT

These kids today.

Jay Cutler says he has a stronger arm than John Elway? "Hands down," Cutler told the Sporting News.

And in a related matter, the local priest says he can deliver the Lord's Prayer with greater authority than the Pope. Hands folded.

Goodness. Cutler does have a terrific arm. He might even be a better pure passer than Elway because Cutler is more accurate, and throws a more catchable ball.

But Elway had the strongest quarterback arm ever. End of discussion. At least it was until Cutler's confidence was nudged to his lips.

"I don't know why there's an argument about who throws harder," said Rod Smith, the only Broncos receiver who caught passes from both Elway and Cutler. "Quarterbacking is about precision, it's about accuracy. I played with Will Furrer. To me, he threw harder than both of them."

A great point. The lefty Furrer was one of about a thousand NFL quarterbacks who had a stronger arm than Joe Montana. It's just not the point of this discussion. Quarterbacks are ultimately judged by Super Bowls — at least Cutler didn't go there with Elway — but to those who were given rocket arms, velocity is a badge of honor. During our town's invigorating baseball Rocktober last year, I asked Cutler who had the city's strongest arm, him or shortstop Troy Tulowitski.

"I do, no question," Cutler said.

I put the velocity debate to Broncos receiver Javon Walker last year. Walker, who is now in Oakland, had caught passes from Brett Favre in Green Bay and Cutler.

If Favre threw 100 mph, how hard does Cutler throw?

"Maybe, 95," Walker said.

Then again, this was after the Broncos' third game of the 2007 season, when Cutler may have been suffering from the early, undiagnosed effects of Type 1 diabetes that ultimately caused him to lose 35 pounds.

Cutler is much stronger this year, and his deep throw that overshot a streaking Eddie Royal last Sunday was something to behold, even if it was incomplete.

"I made the comment I had never seen anyone throw like that except for John," said Bubby Brister, who was Elway's backup in 1997-98 at the alumni game vs. Tampa Bay last week. "Stronger than? I don't know. But equal to is sure possible. He can throw the heck out of it, now."

Brister, it should be noted, was a first-hand witness to Elway's arm strength in the final two years of the Duke's career. This was after Elway played through a shoulder injury in 1991 that later needed arthroscopic surgery. It was after Elway needed cortisone shots to numb the pain of a bruised tendon in his right shoulder in 1992. And it was after Elway essentially played the final years of his career with his left plant leg so damaged, it has since been replaced.

Figure a few mph are removed with each shoulder and knee surgery. Cutler was born in 1983, Elway's rookie year. He was too young to appreciate the Elway arm pre-1991.

"I'll say this: With John, they used to set the Jugs machine at 70-80 mph for us receivers to simulate John's throws," said Smith, who didn't start catching Elway's passes in practice until 1994. "Also, that cross in your chest? I got a few of those from John. With Jay, I didn't get a chance to experience too much of that, but he definitely has a cannon arm. Both of them have plenty, I'll put it like that."

To Elway's credit, he told The Sporting News that Cutler's arm is stronger than his was at the end of his career and "might even be as good as mine when I was his age."

Is a decade or so already playing Bunyanesque tricks with my memory? Maybe it's possible Babe Ruth didn't really hit them a mile or Elway couldn't really throw a ball through a brick wall. Or maybe Elway came from a more modest generation.

"I'm glad Jay's got some confidence like that. That's what they need," Brister said. "You need to have confidence to make those throws that are tight and questionable for other guys."

Perhaps, the only way to successfully play from the large shadow of Elway is to have the nerve to shrink it. Not that the shadow of five Super Bowl appearances ever disappears.

Mike Klis: 303-954-1055 or mklis@denverpost.com

Simple Jaded
10-11-2008, 08:05 PM

Depends on what mood he's in, the situation......things like that. I mean, sometimes you just don't have time to part the sea, sometimes the simplest miracle is the best solution.

He can even do both at the same time, but that's just showing off......

Spider
10-11-2008, 10:01 PM
Stronger arm then Elway ? ok , I wont dispute that , Stronger arm then Jeff George ? not a chance in hell . but at this stage of his career Cutler is light years ahead of Elway , Jeff george , Farve ......I described Jay Cutler as a Elway armed Montana to a browns fan .Cutler is that damn good

BroncoWave
10-12-2008, 02:01 AM

I never said anyone should forget him. I just meant that people should get over him when looking at the QBs we have now and comparing them to him. It's just ridiculous to see some people in here get so uptight when someone tries to make a claim that someone has a better attribute than Elway had.

Spider
10-12-2008, 09:00 AM
I never said anyone should forget him. I just meant that people should get over him when looking at the QBs we have now and comparing them to him. It's just ridiculous to see some people in here get so uptight when someone tries to make a claim that someone has a better attribute than Elway had.

of course you are right .......... I have seen Elway play from day 1 he came to Denver , until S.B. 32 , and Elway the player never did measure up to Elway the legend .......

SmilinAssasSin27
10-12-2008, 09:29 AM
of course you are right .......... I have seen Elway play from day 1 he came to Denver , until S.B. 32 , and Elway the player never did measure up to Elway the legend .......

I dunno about that. Dude did some amazing things. The Drive and the Helicopter alone are legendary. He's first ballot HOF and had numerous records when he retired. That is enough, but then ya have to consider all of the comebacks. No way any other QB, including MOntana, beats Houston that night.

omac
10-12-2008, 09:51 AM
I dunno about that. Dude did some amazing things. The Drive and the Helicopter alone are legendary. He's first ballot HOF and had numerous records when he retired. That is enough, but then ya have to consider all of the comebacks. No way any other QB, including MOntana, beats Houston that night.

I think he just meant that the Legend could do no wrong, at least in people's selective memories, yet the player still made a lot of mistakes.

Spider
10-12-2008, 10:04 AM

I have seen all of those things , I also seen him line up under the Guard...... I seen him throw into triple coverage , seen him fumble , I have seen him run for his life , all I am saying is , Elway the player doesnt live up to Elway the myth .....

Spider
10-12-2008, 10:04 AM
I think he just meant that the Legend could do no wrong, at least in people's selective memories, yet the player still made a lot of mistakes.

:D yep you are on the money

Npba900
10-12-2008, 10:13 AM
I dunno about that. Dude did some amazing things. The Drive and the Helicopter alone are legendary. He's first ballot HOF and had numerous records when he retired. That is enough, but then ya have to consider all of the comebacks. No way any other QB, including Montana, beats Houston that night.

I agree. Elway was just freaking AMAZING! One only needs to look at the mediocre teams Elway took the SB three times and that shows you how he willed his teams to victory. None of the teams....I repeat none of the teams Elway to those first 3 SB, could Montana have done the same.

Meaning, Montana was surrounded by talent and played in a semi-incubator system. The system and talent Montana played with are why he won SB's and is in the hall of fame. When Montana was traded to the Chiefs, he had more talent on those teams than Elway had with the 3 teams he previously guided to the SB, and yet Montana couldn't guide the KC to the super bowl. Montana needed superior talent around him to win SBs.

Another aspect of El way's greatness was his durability! We are talking about a QB that endured over 500 sacks in a 16 year career. Had Elway not endured all those sacks and had to take off running-scrambling to make something out of nothing, I firmly believe Elway could have had a 20 year career instead of a 16 year career. Imagine those SB winning Broncos teams winning two more additional SB's in conjunction with the two they had already won. Brister and Griese were no replacement for Elway. No way the great QB's of Elway's era could have with stood a 16 year plus career, had they endured over 500 sacks. Of course I'm speaking of Marino and Montana.

Imagine Elway surrounded with all the offenses weapons that Cutler has now!! or with the offensive talent Marino and Montana had!, I think it would have been CHILD ABUSE out there for 12 years had Elway had that type offensive fire power.

Sure Cutler has a howitzer arm like Elway had in terms of throwing the football. However, Cutler does not have the ability nor durability to run with the ball, nor endure the wear and tear/punishment when all hope seems lost with 2 min. left in the game and absolutely rip the heart out of opposing teams with a patented Elway come from behind victory.

However, when its all said and done, I'm just glad that Shanahan FINALLY has a Elway/Steve Young type QB to build and execute his offensive philosophy......GO BRONCOS.

Spider
10-12-2008, 11:25 AM
Sure Cutler has a howitzer arm like Elway had in terms of throwing the football. However, Cutler does not have the ability nor durability to run with the ball, nor endure the wear and tear/punishment when all hope seems lost with 2 min. left in the game and absolutely rip the heart out of opposing teams with a patented Elway come from behind victory.

Pure conjecture , you dont know If Cutler can run the ball all season or not ...... I remember when Elway got benched ......you dont know about his durability ... Hell Cutler is a type 1 Diabetic and still finished the season without insulin ...... that alone is amazing

Npba900
10-12-2008, 11:58 AM
Pure conjecture , you dont know If Cutler can run the ball all season or not ...... I remember when Elway got benched ......you dont know about his durability ... Hell Cutler is a type 1 Diabetic and still finished the season without insulin ...... that alone is amazing

True that, finishing the season with type 1 Diabetes(sp) is utterly amazing. What I meant, is that Cutler has yet to show he can keep drives alive on third down, b/c he has the ability to scramble around and make something happen with his feet. He may or may not have that ability. Elway had that ability. Then again, Cutler doesn't necessary need to make things happen with his feet/scrambling ability, b/c unlike Elway, Cutler has a plethora of options and weapons at his disposal.:beer:

topscribe
10-12-2008, 01:38 PM
I agree. Elway was just freaking AMAZING! One only needs to look at the mediocre teams Elway took the SB three times and that shows you how he willed his teams to victory. None of the teams....I repeat none of the teams Elway to those first 3 SB, could Montana have done the same.

Meaning, Montana was surrounded by talent and played in a semi-incubator system. The system and talent Montana played with are why he won SB's and is in the hall of fame. When Montana was traded to the Chiefs, he had more talent on those teams than Elway had with the 3 teams he previously guided to the SB, and yet Montana couldn't guide the KC to the super bowl. Montana needed superior talent around him to win SBs.

Another aspect of El way's greatness was his durability! We are talking about a QB that endured over 500 sacks in a 16 year career. Had Elway not endured all those sacks and had to take off running-scrambling to make something out of nothing, I firmly believe Elway could have had a 20 year career instead of a 16 year career. Imagine those SB winning Broncos teams winning two more additional SB's in conjunction with the two they had already won. Brister and Griese were no replacement for Elway. No way the great QB's of Elway's era could have with stood a 16 year plus career, had they endured over 500 sacks. Of course I'm speaking of Marino and Montana.

Imagine Elway surrounded with all the offenses weapons that Cutler has now!! or with the offensive talent Marino and Montana had!, I think it would have been CHILD ABUSE out there for 12 years had Elway had that type offensive fire power.

However, when its all said and done, I'm just glad that Shanahan FINALLY has a Elway/Steve Young type QB to build and execute his offensive philosophy......GO BRONCOS.

Cutler doesn't have the durability or ability to run with the ball? I guess you
know precious little about his college career. You didn't know he started
out as an option QB? You didn't know about the beatings he took for three
straight years?

I guess you also missed Cutler's come-from-behind games since joining the
Broncos?

I agree with all you said about Elway himself. But you are absolutely wrong
with your statements about Cutler.

-----

topscribe
10-12-2008, 01:41 PM
True that, finishing the season with type 1 Diabetes(sp) is utterly amazing. What I meant, is that Cutler has yet to show he can keep drives alive on third down, b/c he has the ability to scramble around and make something happen with his feet. He may or may not have that ability. Elway had that ability. Then again, Cutler doesn't necessary need to make things happen with his feet/scrambling ability, b/c unlike Elway, Cutler has a plethora of options and weapons at his disposal.:beer:

:confused: You haven't seen Cutler's ability to make things happen with his feet?

Have you been watching Broncos games? Cutler came here with that
reputation because he had proven just that in all his years in college. And
now, I have been impressed with . . . well, his ability to make things
happen with his feet.

You might do well to view Elway's own comments about Cutler. He named
Montana, Favre, and Young, and stated that Cutler has the edge on them
in arm and athleticism.

-----

Dreadnought
10-14-2008, 11:44 AM
I have seen all of those things , I also seen him line up under the Guard...... I seen him throw into triple coverage , seen him fumble , I have seen him run for his life , all I am saying is , Elway the player doesnt live up to Elway the myth .....

Elway was a lot of fun to watch, but a lot of folks forget that one of the reasons he had to pull off 2 minute heroics is he often played 58 minutes of terrible ball before focusing and finding a way to win. Pressure always improved his game IMO, the more the better.

BroncoNut
10-14-2008, 11:47 AM

someone stopped by at the tailgate and was looking for you

TXBRONC
10-14-2008, 11:54 AM
Elway was a lot of fun to watch, but a lot of folks forget that one of the reasons he had to pull off 2 minute heroics is he often played 58 minutes of terrible ball before focusing and finding a way to win. Pressure always improved his game IMO, the more the better.

That's very true, Elway was something else in close game with two minutes to go. However, Jay didn't say he was a better quarterback than Elway just that he has stronger arm. I just don't see Jay saying he has a stronger arm as the same as saying a better quarterback. If Jay had said that I would've disagreed with him especially at this stage of his career.

Denver Native (Carol)
10-14-2008, 11:57 AM

The reason that he had to pull off 2 minute heroics is because of Dan Reeves' PREDICTABLE play calling - 1st down - run the ball, most of the time for no gain, or a loss, - 2nd down - run the ball, most of the time with the same results - 3rd down - hey guess what, John is now in a MUST pass situation. And it came out after Reeves left, that he turned the game over to John in the final 2 minutes to find a way to win.

tomjonesrocks
10-17-2008, 08:00 AM
Didn't have a chance to put my 2c in on this at the time but here in San Diego one of the sports shows dedicated a whole show to this--read the whole article and then just let Chargers' fans call in one after the other to berate Cutler. Whatever, but seeing Jay run his mouth was a little too "Philip Rivers" for my liking.

It didn't help that the Broncos went on to lose while the Chargers went on to win in the game following the article. If the Broncos somehow lose again this week (after the Chargers torched the Pats) it's going to look worse still.

Dumb comments.

Also--stronger arm than Elway? It's impressive--stunning even--but let's not get carried away, son.

TXBRONC
10-19-2008, 05:30 PM
Didn't have a chance to put my 2c in on this at the time but here in San Diego one of the sports shows dedicated a whole show to this--read the whole article and then just let Chargers' fans call in one after the other to berate Cutler. Whatever, but seeing Jay run his mouth was a little too "Philip Rivers" for my liking.

It didn't help that the Broncos went on to lose while the Chargers went on to win in the game following the article. If the Broncos somehow lose again this week (after the Chargers torched the Pats) it's going to look worse still.

Dumb comments.

Also--stronger arm than Elway? It's impressive--stunning even--but let's not get carried away, son.

Run his mouth? Cutler was asked a question and he answered it. Besides that from other things I've read it seems like he was kidding.

That aside people getting upset about comparing his arm strength to John's is bit overboard. It was a comparison of physical strength not accomplishment. There is a huge difference.

Also what Jay said to Rivers' like? You got to be kidding. When has Jay ever gone out and started talking smack to opposing fans and opposing quarterbacks? To my recollection never.

MOtorboat
10-19-2008, 05:48 PM
Frankly...he's probably right...

Just saying...

TXBRONC
10-19-2008, 05:58 PM
Frankly...he's probably right...

Just saying...

Do you mean Cutler or the poster TomJonesRocks?

MOtorboat
10-19-2008, 06:03 PM
Do you mean Cutler or the poster TomJonesRocks?

Cutler...:coffee:

Northman
10-19-2008, 06:13 PM
The reason that he had to pull off 2 minute heroics is because of Dan Reeves' PREDICTABLE play calling - 1st down - run the ball, most of the time for no gain, or a loss, - 2nd down - run the ball, most of the time with the same results - 3rd down - hey guess what, John is now in a MUST pass situation. And it came out after Reeves left, that he turned the game over to John in the final 2 minutes to find a way to win.

Exactly. Reeves was far more conservative than Shanahan and when you dont really have a great RB and conservative playcalling for most of the game that is going to happen and did happen a lot to us.

BCJ
10-19-2008, 08:06 PM

I am not sure if this has been addressed but look at Elway's stats when Reeves got fired. Elway had two coaches that let him play the passing game and he threw for over 4k yards. He was playing catch up because of Dan Reeves' calls. Sure there were games Elway stunk but handing off the ball on first down doesnt help a guy like Elway. Only Phillips and Shanahan used Elway's capabilities to it's fullest.

broncobryce
10-19-2008, 09:42 PM
I am not sure if this has been addressed but look at Elway's stats when Reeves got fired. Elway had two coaches that let him play the passing game and he threw for over 4k yards. He was playing catch up because of Dan Reeves' calls. Sure there were games Elway stunk but handing off the ball on first down doesnt help a guy like Elway. Only Phillips and Shanahan used Elway's capabilities to it's fullest.

I agree 100 percent. Plus I tend to blame Reeves for the superbowl losses as well. Reeves coached the Falcons in his other superbowl appearance and we smoked em. It seems like he is the common denominator (sp?) not Elway. Elway could have owned a lot more passing records in my opinion.

BRONCOSFRK
10-20-2008, 04:19 PM
I'm a huge Jay Cutler fan but I'm not sure if his arm is stronger than John's! Honestly, the both look comparable... However, I do know that Jay is equally as exciting to watch when he has more than 1 wide receiver to throw to...

GO Cutler and GO BRONCOS!

TXBRONC
10-20-2008, 06:56 PM
I'm a huge Jay Cutler fan but I'm not sure if his arm is stronger than John's! Honestly, the both look comparable... However, I do know that Jay is equally as exciting to watch when he has more than 1 wide receiver to throw to...

GO Cutler and GO BRONCOS!

Absolutely. :beer:

NightTrainLayne
10-20-2008, 10:58 PM
Jaworski backed up Cutler on this tonight. He agreed that Cutler had a stronger arm.

I'm still not sure that Cutler has a young Elway beat, but who cares, he has a cannon, and definitely the strongest arm in the league right now.

Medford Bronco
10-20-2008, 11:18 PM
Jaworski backed up Cutler on this tonight. He agreed that Cutler had a stronger arm.

I'm still not sure that Cutler has a young Elway beat, but who cares, he has a cannon, and definitely the strongest arm in the league right now.

who cares really (this is not directed at you NTL)

Jeff George had a stronger arm than just about everyone and where did that get him. I will take Joe Montanas chicken arm any day of the week. Its the brains that matter more than arm strength. When Elways was in his later years, he threw less picks and his teams were better and he won Super Bowls because of this, not just on talent alone.

gobroncsnv
10-21-2008, 12:34 AM
Now start using that arm to throw to guys with the right colored shirts...

omac
10-21-2008, 07:13 AM

Yup, and the best part about it was him shutting up the annoying Kornheiser; Kornheiser wanted to make it a bigger issue than it really was, and Jaworski literaly shut him up. :D

weazel
10-22-2008, 05:47 PM
Cutler may have a stronger arm, but his brain seems to be a lot weaker. 2+ interceptions a game is getting old

jrelway
10-22-2008, 06:04 PM
confidence or not, he needs to **** and just play. dont rauf mauf yourself into a hole and get casted out by the football gods. and stop lookin up and rolling your eyes at press conferences..makes you look like a real nancy.

topscribe
10-22-2008, 06:11 PM
confidence or not, he needs to **** and just play. dont rauf mauf yourself into a hole and get casted out by the football gods. and stop lookin up and rolling your eyes at press conferences..makes you look like a real nancy.

Personally, I don't blame him. He didn't want to be there, and I understand.

Who would, after that loss? Did you listen to some of those questions? I
would roll my eyes at some of them, too. In fact, I did . . .

-----

jrelway
10-22-2008, 06:14 PM
reply with "next question".. i hate when guys roll their eyes man..maybe its just me.

2- Minute Warning
10-22-2008, 06:37 PM
Cutler may have a stronger arm, but his brain seems to be a lot weaker. 2+ interceptions a game is getting old

I agree, he can brag all he wants but he is getting us nowhere fast.:rolleyes:

NameUsedBefore
10-22-2008, 06:47 PM
We haven't won a single game Cutler has played poorly in this year.

Last year it was mostly the same. He either played great and won most of those games, are had a bad game and we (I believe) lost all of those. He really needs to rebound. He is essentially the team at this point.

Lonestar
10-22-2008, 07:35 PM
Personally, I don't blame him. He didn't want to be there, and I understand.

Who would, after that loss? Did you listen to some of those questions? I
would roll my eyes at some of them, too. In fact, I did . . .

-----

and your making 5 mil a year being our franchise QB?

BIG difference.. HUGE, I mean REALLY humongous.

topscribe
10-22-2008, 08:09 PM
and your making 5 mil a year being our franchise QB?

BIG difference.. HUGE, I mean REALLY humongous.

Those idiot "journalists" are getting paid for what they do, too.

Hell, who wouldn't roll their eyes at, "Do you find such losses stressful?," or,
"How much of a loss will Champ's injury be?" I'm not saying they asked those
specific questions, but several of them were just as inane.

-----

GEM
10-23-2008, 10:26 AM
reply with "next question".. i hate when guys roll their eyes man..maybe its just me.

Nope, not just you. Talking to the press after a loss like that is what you get paid to do. It's part of the job. If you don't like the questions or the tone of the press box...do something on the field that changes the fact that you just got beat 41-7 and had a terrible game.

Act like an adult....yea it sucks, suck it up.

GEM
10-23-2008, 10:28 AM

Hell, who wouldn't roll their eyes at, "Do you find such losses stressful?," or,

-----

It would be a lot more Adult of him to say That was a really stupid question. Instead he rolls his eyes like some 16 year old getting lectured by his parents.

topscribe
10-23-2008, 11:17 AM
It would be a lot more Adult of him to say That was a really stupid question. Instead he rolls his eyes like some 16 year old getting lectured by his parents.

*sigh* Guess I would have acted like a 16-year-old. :whoknows:

-----

NightTrainLayne
10-23-2008, 11:38 AM

-----

Me too. :ashamed:

Poet
10-23-2008, 12:46 PM

-----

The problem is that they have to ask him a lot of those questions. You start to run out of the big hitter questions eventually. It would be nice if a journalist was just like "In your perspective, can you summarize blah blah blah blah," ask a few more pinpoint questions and let the credits roll.

JONtheBRONCO
10-23-2008, 12:54 PM
On the defense of Cutler... We don't know what its like to be asked the same questions every week, or to be bombarded with questions about what went wrong, yada, yada, yada after a 41-7 loss. Yeah, I can see where rolling ones eyes can be seen as childish, but put yourself in his shoes.

GEM
10-23-2008, 12:55 PM

-----

It wouldn't be the first time Topper! :heh:

Poet
10-23-2008, 12:56 PM
On the defense of Cutler... We don't know what its like to be asked the same questions every week, or to be bombarded with questions about what went wrong, yada, yada, yada after a 41-7 loss. Yeah, I can see where rolling ones eyes can be seen as childish, but put yourself in his shoes.

That's fine and dandy, but it is part of the job. He won't get irritated at questions that are equally stupid on a day that the Broncos win. Grown men should act like grown men.

Bronco Yoda
10-23-2008, 02:57 PM
You gotta love Jay's moxy.

IMO, Comparing 3rd yr. Jay to 3rd yr. John... Jay has better touch, John had better mobility. John had a better long ball, Jay can lay it fly at the flick of a wrist.

It's hard to say who has the stronger arm. I'd say that Elway threw harder (Note- different than being able to throw harder) but I have a feeling that Cutler can throw harder than he does.

One thing is for sure, Cuter has a stronger 'flick-of-the-wrist' motion by far whereas John really knew how to coil up and let it loose which makes sense why he was so strong at throwing across his body.

Jay has been given more latitude than Reeves gave John early on.

John had way more expectations with less talent around him than Jay is under now.

Jay has more attitude than John had on the field so far (3rd yr).

None of this matters however, until Cutler starts winning the come-from-behind games under pressure when it counts. I think he can.

49ers had Montana then Young. We had Elway and now Cutler. :)

The future is bright for Bronco Nation.