PDA

View Full Version : Brett Kern Getting His Kicks

TXBRONC
10-09-2008, 01:45 PM
I saw this article in the DP and thought you all might like to take a gander at it. It seems that our new punter is on pace to break long standing team records for punting hopefully Kern can continue to be consistent especially as we head into colder weather.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_10678706

Kern getting his kicks in record fashion

By Jim Armstrong
The Denver Post
Article Last Updated: 10/09/2008 12:02:12 PM MDT

Turns out the Jets weren't the only team in the NFL to acquire an impact player named Brett.

The Broncos spent draft day acquiring a handful of starters, including left tackle Ryan Clady and wide receiver Eddie Royal. But in the final stages, as the seventh round wound down, their personnel people spent their time holding their collective breath.

Why? Because they were hoping beyond hope that no team would grab Brett Kern.

Kern was a star at Toledo. Well, as much of a star as a punter can be. And the Broncos' scouts noticed. They went into the draft hoping to sign him as a free agent. Fortunately, they were able to pull it off.

Almost six months later, Kern has proven to be the answer at a position that, frankly, has been a long-standing problem. How impressive has Kern been? Let's put it this way: Did we mention he's on pace to break the franchise records for gross and net punting average?

It's true. It's right there in black and white. Kern, through five games, is averaging 47.9 gross yards and 41.6 net yards per kick. And the best may be yet to come.

One of the reasons the Broncos liked Kern was that he kicked in the MAC, your basic cold-weather conference. He thrived under those circumstances, leading the nation in average yardage as a senior.

Moral to the story: The Broncos don't expect Kern's success to be short-lived. The thinking is that he'll be just as efficient when the snowflakes start falling as he has been in the early stages of the season.

If you've witnessed the Broncos' special-teams problems in recent seasons, you know how critical that will be to the team's success.

Jim Armstrong: 303-954-1269 or jmarmstrong@denverpost.com

shank
10-09-2008, 01:49 PM
i think we found both our legs for years to come in kern and prater. has paulescu been signed anywhere? if he hasn't, i'm very surprised.

TXBRONC
10-09-2008, 01:54 PM
i think we found both our legs for years to come in kern and prater. has paulescu been signed anywhere? if he hasn't, i'm very surprised.

That's good question. I just did a quick google and doesn't look like he's been signed by anyone.

LRtagger
10-09-2008, 03:18 PM
Paulescu is still unsigned.

NightTrainLayne
10-09-2008, 03:35 PM
I've been impressed with Kern. I've also been amazed at some criticism thrown at him.

I read a comment on here this past week complaining that he had a kick go out of bounds after 42 yards.

Heck, I'll take a guaranteed net 42 yard punt every time. 42 yards, and out of bounds with no return is A OK with me.

TXBRONC
10-09-2008, 04:47 PM
I've been impressed with Kern. I've also been amazed at some criticism thrown at him.

I read a comment on here this past week complaining that he had a kick go out of bounds after 42 yards.

Heck, I'll take a guaranteed net 42 yard punt every time. 42 yards, and out of bounds with no return is A OK with me.

Same here I think he's done quite well.