PDA

View Full Version : Boss relishing role in four-'backer set

MOtorboat
10-09-2008, 09:07 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_10662913

Boss relishing role in four-'backer set
The Denver Post
Article Last Updated: 10/07/2008 11:01:53 PM MDT

There might not be anyone on the Broncos' defense happier to be playing part time in a 3-4 scheme than outside linebacker Boss Bailey.

"I love it," Bailey said Monday, a day after recording 10 tackles in Denver's 16-13 win against Tampa Bay.

Bailey said his role changes the most of any of Denver's linebackers when coaches call for the switch to the three-man front and four-linebacker package as they did frequently against the Bucs. Bailey often moved up to the line of scrimmage, tucking in between linemen or on the outside as another rusher.

"I can be dropping back into coverage, I can be rushing, I can be involved in the blitzes," Bailey said. "I probably got the most diverse job when we go to that package."

Bailey has 36 tackles this season, third-most on the team, including 25 solo stops. That total is third-best on the team, despite the fact that Bailey did not play in the season opener against Oakland because of an ankle injury.

Shanahan upset with Thomas.

Denver defensive players should think twice before they attempt to return an interception or a fumble after listening to coach Mike Shanahan's reaction to the fumble by tackle Marcus Thomas.

"It was inexcusable," Shanahan said. "You cannot turn the football over, especially as a defensive lineman. Hit the ground."

Thomas had dropped into zone pass coverage and intercepted a pass by Tampa Bay quarterback Jeff Garcia in the fourth quarter Sunday. He rumbled for 11 yards, holding the ball in only his right arm, before a Tampa player knocked it loose. Tampa recovered and got a new set of downs.

"Sometimes those defensive linemen try to pick up the ball instead of falling on it, and that's a mistake. You can't do it," Shanahan said. "You're not going anywhere with it. You're slow. You're not a running back, and you're not a running back for a reason."

Prater honored.

Kicker Matt Prater has been selected as the AFC's special- teams player of the week. Prater made three field goals Sunday, including one from 55 yards. He is 12-of-13 on field goals and has made four kicks of 50-plus yards, which ties a team record for a season.

Prater also kicked four of his five kickoffs for touchbacks against Tampa Bay. He has 11 total touchbacks this year, tied for the most in the NFL.

Working them out.

The Broncos gave tryouts to four offensive linemen this week: centers Trey Darilek and Dan Mozes, and tackles Clint Oldenberg, who played at Colorado State, and Matt Murphy. . . . Former Broncos defensive tackle Alvin McKinley worked out for the Baltimore Ravens.

Lindsay H. Jones, The Denver Post

MOtorboat
10-09-2008, 09:08 AM
I thought the Boss stuff was interesting...but this is the part I loved about this story:

Sometimes those defensive linemen try to pick up the ball instead of falling on it, and that's a mistake. You can't do it. You're not going anywhere with it. You're slow. You're not a running back, and you're not a running back for a reason.

:pound:

Shazam!
10-09-2008, 09:31 AM
I fear Denver in a 3-4 for ight now at least. I always called for it and I thought it'd help them. But their DL is so defficient and IMO way too small overall, that they can't use it effectively. Hope that it works if they stick with it for more plays. I agree with a wrinkle here or there to mix it up, but that's about it the way it is.

LordTrychon
10-09-2008, 10:00 AM
Congrats to Prater. :beer: :salute:

weazel
10-09-2008, 11:28 AM
"Sometimes those defensive linemen try to pick up the ball instead of falling on it, and that's a mistake. You can't do it," Shanahan said. "You're not going anywhere with it. You're slow. You're not a running back, and you're not a running back for a reason."

truer words have never been spoken! I think I said the same exact thing in the gameday thread when it happened.

You have to admit, the guy would get pretty excited in the heat of the moment though.

Requiem / The Dagda
10-09-2008, 11:37 AM
Thomas was just trying to make the play. Had he not fumbled and scored a touchdown (probably not going to happen, but if Shaun Rogers can do it, why not Thomas?) -- it probably wouldn't have been brought up. Oh well.

Cugel
10-09-2008, 11:41 AM
I was shouting at the TV while he was running the ball back "just don't fumble! Just get down!" And then of course, he fumbled. :rolleyes:

DTs can sometimes score a TD on a FUMBLE, because there's NOBODY between them and the goal-line and they've got some other defensive players as blockers in a convoy -- you've seen that often enough. But to run right up into the middle of the field after an interception -- he had ZERO chance of scoring. None whatsoever. So, when he sees a guy approaching him, take a damn knee!

No wonder Shanahan is mad. That almost cost the game.

You can't be totally mad at Thomas though, he did make a play to intercept the ball and that would have won the game right there if he hadn't fumbled. That was the first really good play he's made all season too -- right up to the point where he coughed it up.