PDA

View Full Version : Poll: John Lynch Anyone?

denbroncofan26
10-09-2008, 01:53 AM
I thought this was an interesting little story about Lynch and it made me think about the possibility of bringing him back. I would love to see him suit up for us again soon, not as a full time player but I think he could contribute in run situations. http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?section=magazine&id=3630502&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab2pos1

Something was gnawing on John Lynch's stomach lining like an overcaffeinated rat.

Forced out of the NFL after 15 years as a legendary safety, he'd just watched his old team, the Broncos, beat San Diego in a 39-38 molar-grinder. Now he looked like a man in a giant blender.

He got up, paced around, went into his bedroom, paced around, went into his walk-in closet and stared a hole in his shoes. His 7-year-old daughter, Lindsay, wandered in and said, "What's wrong, Daddy?"

Lynch said, "Nothing, honey. It's just—Daddy's kind of struggling with not playing football anymore."

"So play," Lindsay said.

"Well, I want to. But on the other hand, it's probably time to stop. I don't know. It's complicated."

Lindsay looked at him for a moment then said, "Oh, Daddy. Now you're starting to sound like Brett Favre."

Everybody's a critic. But how would you like to be 37 and suddenly forced to stop doing the one thing you love more than any other?

On one hand, it's wonderful. Lynch took his first piano lesson the other day. He's finally eating ice cream. He's watching every possible football game on TiVo. He's volunteering at his kids' school. The other moms even invited him on one of their hikes. "I had no idea Colorado was this beautiful in the fall."

On the other hand, sometimes he feels as lost as one sock. He was not ready for his happily-ever-after just yet. The Broncos asked him to take a pay cut and a play cut this season after four straight years as a captain and Pro Bowler. Disappointed, he bolted for the Patriots, had eight tackles in their last preseason game and was released anyway. Mortal-lock Hall of Famer. Cut.

So, like it or not, Lynch suddenly has a whole new life. The other day, he got a $743 Qwest cell phone bill. "I haven't had to pay for cell phones since … they were invented!" Qwest also mentioned that he wouldn't be getting his yearly fat endorsement fee either. The new cars he got free every 3,000 miles are down the road too. The weekly free $2,500 suit deal he got from Saks for his TV show? No show, no suit.

Lynch boxes now to satisfy his urge to hit things. But he misses the games, the locker room, the needling. The other day, he was kidding his 5-year-old daughter, Lilly, about liking a boy when his wife, Linda, cleared her throat loudly. "What are you doing?" she whispered. "You can't tease girls! If you do, they'll never tell you anything!"

Ooops.

He's like a visitor from the planet Zathura. One recent Sunday he visited the team he won a Super Bowl with, the Bucs. He stopped by owner Malcolm Glazer's box, and his eyes went the size of Frisbees. "It was four boxes wide! Couches, 20 TVs, a guy making sushi, people pouring wine! I had no idea! For years, I thought they actually watched every play!"

At the game he ran into Tiger Woods, who asked him, bluntly, "So which was it that made you quit, mind or body?" Lynch scratched his head and said, "Neither!" Lynch didn't quit football. It quit him.

He's learning life all over. For 15 years, his fall and winter days were mapped out: 6:30 a.m.—weight room; 8 a.m.—position meeting; 9 a.m.—full team meeting. "Now I drop off the kids, come home and I'm like, What do I do all day?" Worse, that built-in excuse he had when people called him to do stuff he didn't want to do?

"Sorry, I can't. Got a game coming up." All gone.

Then again, "I've never seen Wrigley Field or Fenway or Augusta," Lynch says. "Now I have time." He's never been to continental Europe. Never seen Africa or Australia. He aims to do that. Wants to do a triathlon. Wants to write a book—soon as he learns to type. Lynch is so nice and humble and funny that TV networks are after him, so he's investigating that. He's pumping up his charity work, which was already heavy. He's at all of his 9-year-old son Jake's football games and daughters' swimming meets and plays.

Still, you sit with him and it's like he's double-parked. Or he's sitting on a walnut. Which is why if some team calls he'll probably go. After all, a certain wildly indecisive 39-year-old QB threw 6 TDs the other day. "I told myself I wouldn't be that guy," Lynch says. "You know, the guy who just won't take the elegant way out? But guys like me and Brett, we don't want out. So what do you do then?"

Me, I'd play football. Piano recitals are hell.

Requiem / The Dagda
10-09-2008, 01:55 AM
For the Love of Pete, Hell no.

denbroncofan26
10-09-2008, 01:59 AM
For the Love of Pete, Hell no.

You're probably right, I just really like him and I do think his leadership and passion for the game give him an edge that could still allow him to contribute.

omac
10-09-2008, 02:18 AM
Very nice article. Doesn't sound like Lynch and his daughter actually said or did any of those things, though. Probably just artistic embelishment. :D

I actually like the play of McCree and Manuel. If Lynch was already here and didn't ask for a release, it would be okay for me if he contributed all the way to the superbowl (oops, shouldn't say that, should I? :D ). But since he wanted to leave, the Broncos have moved on, and the roster spots are kinda tight right now.

I'm pretty sure a team will pick him up before the season's over. Too many injuries in this league for that not to happen. Hopefully, no more injuries to the Broncos. :cheers:

dogfish
10-09-2008, 02:24 AM
Lynch said, "Nothing, honey. It's just—Daddy's kind of struggling with not playing football anymore."

daddy shouldn't have whined his way out of town because he thought he had a better shot of getting another ring by riding the patsies' coattails. . . . :coffee:

but, he ended up being too old and too slow even for their antique defense, which tells ya all you need to know. . .

LoyalSoldier
10-09-2008, 03:14 AM
Sheesh people act as if he threw the Broncos under the bus. Ok so he whined. I could care less. He has been a character guy almost his whole time in Denver. I just find it amazing how fast people will turn their back to anyone who asked to be cut.

Has anyone ever wanted to quit a job because it wasn't working out? He isn't a spring chicken and that is why I don't blame him for doing what he did. He wants to play for as long as he can.

There is nothing like being told you can't play football anymore. I myself am dreding the day where I can't even show up for practice anymore. For me that day may come in just a year.

Denver27og
10-09-2008, 04:08 AM
bring back al to be at least a backup

Retired_Member_001
10-09-2008, 04:43 AM
So let's get something straight, McRee and Manuel are doing a fairly decent job playing safety, and now you want to bring one of the worst pass defending safeties currently out there? John Lynch's age has caught up with him. He's past his prime. He really needs to retire for his sake.

LRtagger
10-09-2008, 08:02 AM
So, like it or not, Lynch suddenly has a whole new life. The other day, he got a $743 Qwest cell phone bill. "I haven't had to pay for cell phones since … they were invented!" Qwest also mentioned that he wouldn't be getting his yearly fat endorsement fee either. The new cars he got free every 3,000 miles are down the road too. The weekly free $2,500 suit deal he got from Saks for his TV show? No show, no suit.

Is the writer trying to make us feel sorry for Lynch???? :laugh:

claymore
10-09-2008, 08:26 AM
I feel like he quit the team. Would I have liked him around as a situational guy, and a leader? Hell yes. But He quit us IMO. And I dont want him back.

Rex
10-09-2008, 08:28 AM
I feel like he quit the team. Would I have liked him around as a situational guy, and a leader? Hell yes. But He quit us IMO. And I dont want him back.

Do you like cheap wine and long walks on gravel roads?

claymore
10-09-2008, 08:30 AM
Do you like cheap wine and long walks on gravel roads?

Yes. I like slip on sandals, and I build fences to.

TXBRONC
10-09-2008, 08:57 AM
Sheesh people act as if he threw the Broncos under the bus. Ok so he whined. I could care less. He has been a character guy almost his whole time in Denver. I just find it amazing how fast people will turn their back to anyone who asked to be cut.

Has anyone ever wanted to quit a job because it wasn't working out? He isn't a spring chicken and that is why I don't blame him for doing what he did. He wants to play for as long as he can.

There is nothing like being told you can't play football anymore. I myself am dreding the day where I can't even show up for practice anymore. For me that day may come in just a year.

I agree I can't blame Lynch for wanting to play. He wanted start and he knew it wasn't going to happen in Denver. Honestly I wouldn't consider what did as whining. Like you said he was always very professional about how he went about his business.

SOCALORADO.
10-09-2008, 09:03 AM
You're probably right, I just really like him and I do think his leadership and passion for the game give him an edge that could still allow him to contribute.

He wont contribute for the same reason he didnt contribute last year. He is too old and constantly gets injured.

The cameras spent more time showing john with his visor on standing on the sideline with a neck stinger or a back problem than they did of him on the field.John cant make it through the 1st haldf of a game without getting injured. Hes too old and hes done.

NightTrainLayne
10-09-2008, 09:13 AM
It's a great article about an athlete struggling with his obsolution (sp?).

He's a great guy, and a great competitor. I'm not going to hold it against him if he still wants to play, even though he doesn't have the physical ability.

Like it or not, we'll all have to deal with this in some form or another in our lifetime's as we age and are not able to do the things we love anymore.

Buff
10-09-2008, 09:18 AM

I find it amazing that there are Bronco fans that still respect the guy...

What he did was unprofessional and disloyal. If he wanted to quit and call it a career, I respect that... But to say things aren't working out, then to go and try to take a backup role with another AFC team is weak... I say good riddance.

MOtorboat
10-09-2008, 09:19 AM

What he did was unprofessional and disloyal. Good riddens.

I'll remember this the next time a team cuts a veteran because of salary cap issues...

Buff
10-09-2008, 09:21 AM
I'll remember this the next time a team cuts a veteran because of salary cap issues...

I understand there is no loyalty in the NFL... But he had a roster spot with us, turned it down, and tried to get on with the defending AFC champs... That's just smarmy.

claymore
10-09-2008, 09:25 AM
I understand there is no loyalty in the NFL... But he had a roster spot with us, turned it down, and tried to get on with the defending AFC champs... That's just smarmy.

Im with you. If he was such a "leader"., and "Team guy"... He would have helped the best he could by riding pine and filling in in situational roles.

He was selfesh. Bottom line, and it bit him in the ass.

Denver WAS loyal to him. And WANTED him.

Shazam!
10-09-2008, 09:39 AM
"I find it amazing that there are Bronco fans that still respect the guy...

What he did was unprofessional and disloyal. Good riddens."

Two words- Jake Plummer

NightTrainLayne
10-09-2008, 09:45 AM
Listen. The guy wanted to continue to be a starter. We didn't have a spot for him. He thought he still could catch on someplace else. They didn't want him either, but then he could either be left out in the cold or accept a back-up spot with them. . . .then, that didn't even work out.

I highly doubt that Lynch would have left here if he'd known how it would work out. He should have known, but he didn't. He took a risk and it didn't work out, but there's no reason to be upset with him. He didn't hurt our team at all in anything that he did.

Shazam!
10-09-2008, 09:46 AM
I'll never forget him in 2005. GL Lynch.

Buff
10-09-2008, 09:48 AM
"I find it amazing that there are Bronco fans that still respect the guy...

What he did was unprofessional and disloyal. Good riddens."

Two words- Jake Plummer

Wait, so are you saying that the Broncos were unprofessional and disloyal to him, or vice versa?

Buff
10-09-2008, 09:50 AM
Listen. The guy wanted to continue to be a starter. We didn't have a spot for him. He thought he still could catch on someplace else. They didn't want him either, but then he could either be left out in the cold or accept a back-up spot with them. . . .then, that didn't even work out.

I highly doubt that Lynch would have left here if he'd known how it would work out. He should have known, but he didn't. He took a risk and it didn't work out, but there's no reason to be upset with him. He didn't hurt our team at all in anything that he did.

Well he didn't exactly help us either by signing a contract in the off season and the renigging on that during camp... Would we have drafted or signed another safety if he walked during the off season? Maybe, maybe not... But at least the option would have been there.

NightTrainLayne
10-09-2008, 09:56 AM
Well he didn't exactly help us either by signing a contract in the off season and the renigging on that during camp... Would we have drafted or signed another safety if he walked during the off season? Maybe, maybe not... But at least the option would have been there.

Wasn't the contract signed in the off-season to reduce his salary? He agreed to a pay-cut.

We might have drafted someone else, but to me that's on the Broncos, not on Lynch. No player is ever going to volunteer to be cut, or to take a back-up role. The organization should have shown him some tough-love sooner.

Buff
10-09-2008, 11:00 AM
Wasn't the contract signed in the off-season to reduce his salary? He agreed to a pay-cut.

We might have drafted someone else, but to me that's on the Broncos, not on Lynch. No player is ever going to volunteer to be cut, or to take a back-up role. The organization should have shown him some tough-love sooner.

Well they signed two safeties, and fully expected to get one more year out of Lynch... Had they known he was going to have a change of heart, they probably would have done even more to shore up the position.

The point is-- he agreed to a reduced role prior to the season, and the broncos took him at his word. Then Shanahan was gracious enough to let him out of his contract because he decided he didn't want a reduced role once camp started, and so how does Lynch show his gratitude? Heturns around and says he'll accept a reduced role with the an AFC rival of ours...

It was a very selfish move, and I'm actually somewhat happy it blew up in his face. Vindictive? Absolutely.

weazel
10-09-2008, 11:24 AM
1. I think he could help us on running downs up close to the line, but he looked horrible against the pass last season.

2. I don't think he would come back to play for the Broncos, so it doesn't really matter.

Denver27og
10-09-2008, 03:56 PM
we dont need another lianlity on pass d

LoyalSoldier
10-09-2008, 04:37 PM

What he did was unprofessional and disloyal. If he wanted to quit and call it a career, I respect that... But to say things aren't working out, then to go and try to take a backup role with another AFC team is weak... I say good riddance.

http://www.milehighreport.com/2008/7/31/584109/john-lynch-talks-to-the-me

How is going up and discussing the situation with Mike Shanahan and contemplating it for over a day unprofessional? He wasn't dragging the Broncos through the mud and talking trash about them. Unless I missed something he didn't trash the Broncos in the media. He quit his job just like anyone else would. You walk up to your boss and tell him it isn't going to work out. I doubt anyone here wouldn't have done similar actions if they were in the same position. It is easy to say as an armchair QB that "OH he should have just retired!" when most people here don't even have a clue what that would be like.

And LOYALTY!? HA! When an NFL team shows loyalty to a player I'll expect the player to show loyalty to the team.

But to say things aren't working out, then to go and try to take a backup role with another AFC team is weak... I say good riddance.

Sorry I fail to see the big deal. It isn't like he said he was going to retire because if he was he wouldn't be asking for them to cut him.

TXBRONC
10-09-2008, 04:40 PM
Well they signed two safeties, and fully expected to get one more year out of Lynch... Had they known he was going to have a change of heart, they probably would have done even more to shore up the position.

The point is-- he agreed to a reduced role prior to the season, and the broncos took him at his word. Then Shanahan was gracious enough to let him out of his contract because he decided he didn't want a reduced role once camp started, and so how does Lynch show his gratitude? Heturns around and says he'll accept a reduced role with the an AFC rival of ours...

It was a very selfish move, and I'm actually somewhat happy it blew up in his face. Vindictive? Absolutely.

From what I remember he was told at the end of the year that he would have to compete for a starting job which also they weren't guaranteeing a spot on the roster. And I don't think he was vindictive or selfish.

TheRecession
10-09-2008, 06:32 PM
John is finished.

Lonestar
10-09-2008, 06:54 PM

How is going up and discussing the situation with Mike Shanahan and contemplating it for over a day unprofessional? He wasn't dragging the Broncos through the mud and talking trash about them. Unless I missed something he didn't trash the Broncos in the media. He quit his job just like anyone else would. You walk up to your boss and tell him it isn't going to work out. I doubt anyone here wouldn't have done similar actions if they were in the same position. It is easy to say as an armchair QB that "OH he should have just retired!" when most people here don't even have a clue what that would be like.

And LOYALTY!? HA! When an NFL team shows loyalty to a player I'll expect the player to show loyalty to the team.

Sorry I fail to see the big deal. It isn't like he said he was going to retire because if he was he wouldn't be asking for them to cut him.

Good post let me add..
If I remember correctly there was serious talk in TC about IF he would make the team and not be cut..

It was not mikey that got him to come back and take a smaller contract it was PAT setting down with him and getting the two together..

I doubt that mikey wanted him all that much on the team taking a roster spot..

Frankly He would have been a gem trying to stop the running gashes that we have had most of the year.

His leadership in the locker room would have been invaluable.. and neither of our starters have much on him as far as the running game is concerned and I'm not all that sure he could not have done better in the passing game either over the two mopes we have starting now....

Buff
10-09-2008, 07:06 PM

I'll give you the loyalty argument. Teams will sell out players as soon as the player isn't performing, so there's no reason a player should look out for his own interests. And it's not a huge deal, but I feel like it would be my duty as a Broncos fan to mercilessly boo Lynch if he ever returned to Invesco.

The guy cannot be taken for his word. I liken it to a pizza hut deliveryman quitting his job because he feels like he's management material-- Then taking a job at Domino's as a pizza delivery man. Which wouldn't be a huge deal-- except that Pizza Hut is already short on delivery men and they would have gladly hired someone else months ago if they knew their guy was gonna walk after a short time on the job.

It was just a classeless, selfish act on his part... And now you know he's regretting his decision despite what he says, because he could have had a roster spot locked up for at least one more year and wouldn't have tarnished his legacy with Denver by leaving out the back door.

From what I remember he was told at the end of the year that he would have to compete for a starting job which also they weren't guaranteeing a spot on the roster. And I don't think he was vindictive or selfish.

FWIW, I was saying that my views on the topic are vindictive, not Lynch. But even if you give Lynch a pass for what he did, how can you make the case that it wasn't selfish? I mean, he clearly didn't make the decision out of the best interests of the Broncos... He didn't make the decision out of the best interest for his family... He did it because he didn't think it felt right... Which is fine, at least he's honest, but it was still selfish.

Buff
10-09-2008, 07:09 PM
Good post let me add..
If I remember correctly there was serious talk in TC about IF he would make the team and not be cut..

It was not mikey that got him to come back and take a smaller contract it was PAT setting down with him and getting the two together..

I doubt that mikey wanted him all that much on the team taking a roster spot..

Frankly He would have been a gem trying to stop the running gashes that we have had most of the year.

His leadership in the locker room would have been invaluable.. and neither of our starters have much on him as far as the running game is concerned and I'm not all that sure he could not have done better in the passing game either over the two mopes we have starting now....

I'm pretty sure there was absolutely no chance John Lynch was going to get cut. He had already taken his pay cut and as a result the Broncos would have given him one more year regardless of how bad he played in camp...

And if you listen to Shanny's exit interviews, it's not like he wasn't playing... He just wasn't playing in nickel situations. He was still the starter on 1st and 2nd down when he quit.

jrelway
10-09-2008, 07:20 PM
NO. he is a downgrade to what we have currently and wouldnt do squat for us but sit on the sidelines taking up cap and roster space.