PDA

View Full Version : NFL retired players sue...... might work

Juriga72
03-29-2011, 06:34 AM
Interesting..... lawyers will do whatever it takes to get paid too

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=dw-wetzel_retired_players_file_antitrust_suit_against _nfl_032811

GEM
03-29-2011, 07:43 AM
I can get in board with retired players beef with the nfl. Watching the browns player be inducted the year elway got in was sad to watch. dimentia amd a life of living in a nursing home, while fighting the nfl to pay what is owed. Watching the old center from the steelers. The stories are endless. The men who paved the way for the players today and played for peanuts, I can get on board with them.

Juriga72
03-29-2011, 08:28 AM
I hope these guys get everything they deserve. Look at last month and Dave Dureson (sp)... 50 years old and kills himslef to get rid of the pain.....

I just hope it gets settled fast.

Lonestar
03-29-2011, 08:53 AM
I have to wonder if the life style of some of these players might have also something to do with their plight.

Besides playing ball I the NFL they in most cases played from grade school on. God only knows what they put in their bodies during all of those years including drugs and booze.

Shouldthey have better coverage absolutely. Should they also been more responsible for their bodies? I guess That is up for debate also.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

TXBRONC
03-29-2011, 09:29 AM
I have to wonder if the life style of some of these players might have also something to do with their plight.

Besides playing ball I the NFL they in most cases played from grade school on. God only knows what they put in their bodies during all of those years including drugs and booze.

Shouldthey have better coverage absolutely. Should they also been more responsible for their bodies? I guess That is up for debate also.

Some of them did live pretty wildly but how does that invalidate anything. Because there are probably as many if not more that didn't live wildly.

Juriga72
03-29-2011, 09:47 AM
Some of them did live pretty wildly but how does that invalidate anything. Because there probably as many if not more that didn't live wildly.

Webster-Steelers center
Waters- Philly Safety
Dureson - Bears Saftey
Strizlek- Steelers O-lineman

just those guys killed themselves IIRC.

TXBRONC
03-29-2011, 10:05 AM
Webster-Steelers center
Waters- Philly Safety
Dureson - Bears Saftey
Strizlek- Steelers O-lineman

just those guys killed themselves IIRC.

I don't know about the others but I think Webster had some kind of mental disorder. I think he was bi-polar.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-29-2011, 10:06 AM
In reading the article on the link posted, it appears the lawsuit by the retired players is more protecting the college players, not former NFL players. I may be missing something here, however.

In regards to the NFL taking care of retired players, the following was proposed by the NFL:

6. Owner funding of $82 million in 2011-12 to support additional benefits to former players, which would increase retirement benefits for more than 2000 former players by nearly 60 percent.

http://bayarea.sbnation.com/san-francisco-49ers/2011/3/11/2045346/nfl-cba-negotiations-nfl-releases-summary-of-proposal-to-nflpa

Nomad
03-29-2011, 10:35 AM

The ones that lived clean lifestyles and are in the condition (brain damage, bone problems, etc) due to the physical contact all those years.....I do feel the league needs to compensate those guys because they were paid lousy and the benefits were not as good as today!!

If it's found that it's due to a lifestyle of excessive alcohol and drugs then I don't feel sorry for them. Just like Pat Sumerall, he didn't deserve a liver transplant because he did it to himself. I believe if someone is going to abuse themselves like that with drugs and alcohol, they reap what they sow!

I don't want to see the players today benefit from what the players of yesterday had to go through. They are well compensated for the jobs they do and need to learn money management!

Lonestar
03-29-2011, 11:13 AM
The ones that lived clean lifestyles and are in the condition (brain damage, bone problems, etc) due to the physical contact all those years.....I do feel the league needs to compensate those guys because they were paid lousy and the benefits were not as good as today!!
If it's found that it's due to a lifestyle of excessive alcohol and drugs then I don't feel sorry for them. Just like Pat Sumerall, he didn't deserve a liver transplant because he did it to himself. I believe if someone is going to abuse themselves like that with drugs and alcohol, they reap what they sow!
I don't want to see the players today benefit from what the players of yesterday had to go through. They are well compensated for the jobs they do and need to learn money management!

Just like any job there are risks. Coal miners, nuclear power plant workers , health care providers.

Even office workers in closed buildings.

All are compensates to some degree for their risks that they are exposed to.

Do not get me wrong many of the old timers were paid poorly. But they took the job knowing that there were risks and did freely.
To them it was better than dealing drugs flipping burgers
Or many other menial jobs that for the most part were only qualified to do.

Not many brain surgeons in the making played football in college.

Like many of us mere mortals they have to accept responsiblity for what they did to their bodies whether it be from a combination of a tough sport and or fast living.

Yes the NFL needs to do more but maybe the NFL PA needs to chip in also coming from the dues the current players contribute.

The current players have benifited from the retirees perhaps it is time for them to repay them.

GEM
03-29-2011, 11:17 AM
I don't know about the others but I think Webster had some kind of mental disorder. I think he was bi-polar.

The Steelers center's family had his brain researched. Almost his entire brain was splotched gray....these are all the traumatic brain injuries he had. From what they said, after he stopped playing, he turned to drugs to cope with the pain. He had a home, a wife and family and instead he chose to live on the streets. They said in his last years he was wildly off kilter mentally. The scientists/doctors tied it all back to the numerous brain injuries. They said the most dangerous position in football as far as head injuries go is on the offensive line with the constant battering of helmets.

rcsodak
03-29-2011, 11:30 AM
In reading the article on the link posted, it appears the lawsuit by the retired players is more protecting the college players, not former NFL players. I may be missing something here, however.

In regards to the NFL taking care of retired players, the following was proposed by the NFL:

http://bayarea.sbnation.com/san-francisco-49ers/2011/3/11/2045346/nfl-cba-negotiations-nfl-releases-summary-of-proposal-to-nflpa

And the NFL asked the NFLPA to match. Funny how they said no. And they don't care much for the PA, from the interview I heard/mentioned a couple wks ago.

rcsodak
03-29-2011, 11:44 AM

Were the legends paid poorly or proportionately the same?
Wasn't the equipment, or lack therof, more to blame?

Lonestar
03-29-2011, 11:53 AM

I suspect your right on both counts.

The old timers were not paid as much but I will also bet they were happy to play in the NFL for what they were making.

Iirc Elway got a whopping 7 mil in one of his first contract. The rest of the players dubbed him the 7miilion dollar man and there was a bullseye on him because of it.

Many of our guys in the military are putting more than their knees and ankles on the line. I do not have a lot of Symphany. For someone now making a minimum of 435k or somto play a game.

BigSarge87
03-29-2011, 11:53 AM
It's amazing to me how improving benefits for retired players is really not even on the radar of the NFLPA.

It's a good point that the players agreed to the terms of their contracts and understood the risks of playing football and could have walked away at any point in their careers.

However, looking at the current gap in the lifestyle differences between current players and retirees, and then understanding that the retirees are the ones largely responsible for building the game into what it is today, you would think the players AND the owners would have a larger interest in helping those guys out, even if they are not legally obligated to (yet).

It must be disgusting to retirees to see that they are a side-note and a possible bargaining chip that either side would sacrifice to get a bigger piece of the pie.

arapaho2
03-29-2011, 11:54 AM
heres an idea....the nflpa wants to use these people as a tool to further their cause...the owners have already included more money into player pensions as well as staying on the leagues health insureance after retireing

perhaps these mega million dollar players ..the mannings, rivers, and so on...the players that will make enough money from playing and endorsments to provide for their selfs, their kids and grandkids...maybe they should not take the nfl pension but instead deferr it back into the pot for those in extreme need

Juriga72
03-29-2011, 12:06 PM
The Steelers center's family had his brain researched. Almost his entire brain was splotched gray....these are all the traumatic brain injuries he had. From what they said, after he stopped playing, he turned to drugs to cope with the pain. He had a home, a wife and family and instead he chose to live on the streets. They said in his last years he was wildly off kilter mentally. The scientists/doctors tied it all back to the numerous brain injuries. They said the most dangerous position in football as far as head injuries go is on the offensive line with the constant battering of helmets.

I saw on the HBO documentary that 14 former players have died of ALS ( Lou Gerhigs disease) in the last 30 years....

WOW...... considering that 1 in 100,000 people get it each year.

http://sports-boards.net/forums/showthread.php?181194-HBO-Real-Sports-Lou-Gerhig-didn-t-die-from-Lou-Gehrig-s-Disease

Nomad
03-29-2011, 12:07 PM

Probably all the above!! You're more than welcome to break it down for us!!;)

Nomad
03-29-2011, 12:22 PM
I suspect your right on both counts.

The old timers were not paid as much but I will also bet they were happy to play in the NFL for what they were making.

Iirc Elway got a whopping 7 mil in one of his first contract. The rest of the players dubbed him the 7miilion dollar man and there was a bullseye on him because of it.

Many of our guys in the military are putting more than their knees and ankles on the line. I do not have a lot of Symphany. For someone now making a minimum of 435k or somto play a game.

I've always been a big military supporter as to have served and my wife is serving! And I believe the ones who are deployed in 'hot zones' need to be compensated more than what they are and no job out there can compare what these guys go through perhaps other than law enforcement.

But the ones who sit stateside or get the lush overseas duty I have learned over the years are pretty well compensated, especially the ones doing overseas duty though they should get a COL raise where they are stationed. Being here in AK, my wife works with a couple dual military and it's basically a 7:30-4:30 job and together they make over $140,000 grand a year! I would call that well compensated!

I understand the NFL is basically the entertainment business and we, Americans, have made entertainment our #1. I don't have a problem with guys making $500 grand a year but it's the ones who complain about making multimillion+ a year and act like they are starving. They are the ones who entertain me on a cold, snowy Sunday afternoon. I don't pity NFL players one bit for what they have to go through because they chose that career just like if I get electrocuted no one will feel sorry for me being an electrician because I chose this career. I do feel the old vets are getting hosed by the younger generation. Being an IBEW member, I know we take care of our older/retired members!!

Superchop 7
03-29-2011, 01:04 PM
The NFL needs to take care of former players.....period.

The NCAA needs to take care of former players....period.

(If the injuries are sports related)

Pool your billions and build a state of the art hospital.

BigSarge87
03-29-2011, 01:34 PM
I've always been a big military supporter as to have served and my wife is serving! And I believe the ones who are deployed in 'hot zones' need to be compensated more than what they are and no job out there can compare what these guys go through perhaps other than law enforcement.

But the ones who sit stateside or get the lush overseas duty I have learned over the years are pretty well compensated, especially the ones doing overseas duty though they should get a COL raise where they are stationed. Being here in AK, my wife works with a couple dual military and it's basically a 7:30-4:30 job and together they make over $140,000 grand a year! I would call that well compensated!

I understand the NFL is basically the entertainment business and we, Americans, have made entertainment our #1. I don't have a problem with guys making $500 grand a year but it's the ones who complain about making multimillion+ a year and act like they are starving. They are the ones who entertain me on a cold, snowy Sunday afternoon. I don't pity NFL players one bit for what they have to go through because they chose that career just like if I get electrocuted no one will feel sorry for me being an electrician because I chose this career. I do feel the old vets are getting hosed by the younger generation. Being an IBEW member, I know we take care of our older/retired members!!

I know this is off-topic, but needed to chime in.

$140,000 sounds pretty high. Either they are both high ranking Officers/NCO's, or they are stealing from taxpayers by living together and declaring seperate residences. Also, the higher than average cost of living allowances combined with higher than average housing allowances in AK are not a good representation of the typical Soldier who 'sits stateside'.

I'm not calling you out, I just want people to know that's not a good representation of what a typical married couple who are both in the military are earning.

I make enough to support my family (as long as I'm financially responsible) and that's all I'm asking for. IMO, Police Officers are the ones who get screwed. They deserve WAY more than they make.

SpringsBroncoFan
03-29-2011, 01:59 PM
Here's some pretty informative food for thought...

http://fourthandgoalunites.com/2011/03/23/matson-to-players-and-owners-help-retired-nfl-players/

Pat Matson gets 1,064 per month pension and he played 10 years...

Post 1993 players are only covered for insurance for 5 years after retirement & none covered pre 1993...

Insurance companies deny former players coverage based on pre-existing conditions... ouch...

Hell, SSI pays max 670 month & SSDI pays max 1500 a month but the cost of insurance & pre-existings have to be killing these guys...

Here's a mind-numbing quote:

"There apparently is no real count of how many players who never qualified for NFL post career benefits available who are on the government dole before the age of 65 with social security disability or Medicare. There is no way of knowing how many high school, college, Arena Football Leaguers, USFLers, World Football League players who are also being cared for by the United States government although taxpayers may be on the hook for billions to provide care from football injuries."

Nomad
03-29-2011, 04:40 PM
I know this is off-topic, but needed to chime in.

$140,000 sounds pretty high. Either they are both high ranking Officers/NCO's, or they are stealing from taxpayers by living together and declaring seperate residences. Also, the higher than average cost of living allowances combined with higher than average housing allowances in AK are not a good representation of the typical Soldier who 'sits stateside'.

I'm not calling you out, I just want people to know that's not a good representation of what a typical married couple who are both in the military are earning.

I make enough to support my family (as long as I'm financially responsible) and that's all I'm asking for. IMO, Police Officers are the ones who get screwed. They deserve WAY more than they make.

They are both E-6s with 15 yrs in. You can do the math on what they make by researching base pay, bah, cola and find out I'm not FOS.....everything is doubled! But the only reason I know this was because they were boasting while there are people out there out of work and their jobs are not difficult (medical). I know it's a different subject for a different time and I also emphasized overseas duty. And this shit happens more than what you think, then they get rewarded a Consectutive Overseas Tour (8 yrs OS isn't too shabby).

I used this example as an extreme because it did piss me off because dual military does benefit very nicely especially overseas. But you can't lump all military having hardships as the ones who get deployed and are in action or 'hot zones'. And I believe those are the ones who deserve the highest pay possible.

Anyway, I always support raises for the military and I also believe law enforcement deserves better. NFL players cannot relate to either one!!

Cugel
03-30-2011, 12:38 PM
My cousin's wife was a radiologist in Texas and told me the bone structure of 30 something NFL football players she saw was like that of a 70 year old or worse.

It's like being in a car accident once a week for however long your career lasts.

And the owners have made BILLIONS of dollars from these men. They deserve medical compensation and I hope they get it.

As for the asinine argument that veterans don't get better care -- so NFL veterans shouldn't -- does the fact that wounded servicemen receive inadequate care mean that NFL Football players shouldn't get better health care either? Maybe the solution is to spend more money treating wounded veterans properly, and not using that as an excuse! The NFL is a highly profitable business. And the owners have never suffered an inability to buy more yachts because they compensate some former player for horribly disfiguring spinal injuries. :coffee:

rcsodak
03-30-2011, 01:07 PM
Probably all the above!! You're more than welcome to break it down for us!!;)just questioning, nomad.
and wow....did wazzou SUCK! :lol: