PDA

View Full Version : Great breaking news

Denver Native (Carol)
10-08-2008, 05:19 PM
9News will cover Denver Police Conference

http://www.9news.com/news/article.aspx?storyid=101437&catid=339

Indictment handed down in Darrent Williams murder

DENVER – 9NEWS has learned an indictment has been issued against a known gang member in the shooting death of former Denver Broncos defensive back Darrent Williams.

Williams was shot to death on New Year's Day 2007 as he left a night club in a stretched Hummer limousine.

9Wants to Know has learned the indictment is being handed down against Willie Clark. Clark is currently in police custody.

"He fired the weapon," a source told 9Wants to Know in an interview in the summer of 2008, referring to gang member Willie Clark. "He specifically told me that he fired the weapon."

The man talked with 9Wants to Know because, he says, the Crip gang had put out a contract on his life, and he was afraid he would be killed.

A press conference was scheduled for 4:15 p.m. with the Denver Police and the Denver District Attorney’s office at which time more details are expected to be released.

9NEWS and 9NEWS.com will update this story as more information becomes available.

UPDATE - No bond set for Clark; charged with 2 counts of 1st degree murder, also many other charges.

Darrent's Mom was contacted today, and they let her know.

Sassy
10-08-2008, 05:33 PM
Wow. Finally! Good news!

shank
10-08-2008, 05:47 PM
just got the text. this is good.

broncosfanscott
10-08-2008, 05:48 PM
I just saw this news on the ESPN ticker. Good news and about time.

Denver Native (Carol)
10-08-2008, 05:50 PM
More from Police Conference

DENVER - A grand jury indictment has been issued against a known gang member in the shooting death of former Denver Broncos defensive back Darrent Williams.

Williams was shot to death on New Year's Day 2007 as he left a nightclub in a stretched Hummer limousine.

Denver District Attorney Mitch Morrissey announced the grand jury indictment against Willie Clark on Wednesday from the Denver Police Headquarters.

“The investigation shows that Willie Clark was present in the SUV that was involved in the shooting here,” said Morrissey. “There are numerous people in the SUV and we are alleging in the indictment that Willie Clark is responsible for the murder of Darrent Williams.”

Morrissey says Clark, who is currently in federal custody, faces 39 counts including first-degree murder, several other counts of attempted murder, assault, possession of a firearm by a previous offender, among other charges.

Also revealed on Wednesday was the fact that two different caliber weapons were used in the shooting death. Morrissey says the investigation will continue.

"He fired the weapon," a source told 9Wants to Know in an interview in the summer of 2008, referring to gang member Willie Clark. "He specifically told me that he fired the weapon."

The man talked with 9Wants to Know because, he says, the Crip gang had put out a contract on his life, and he was afraid he would be killed.

9NEWS and 9NEWS.com will update this story as more information becomes available.

WTE
10-08-2008, 06:47 PM
Excellent news!

I hope the whole gang of scum is rounded up and thrown in jail.

Justice!

dogfish
10-08-2008, 06:56 PM
now send the ******* to the chair. . . .

BigDaddyBronco
10-08-2008, 06:58 PM
Isn't that POS gangbanger, Willie Clark, already in jail for other stuff?

TDmvp
10-08-2008, 07:02 PM
http://img455.imageshack.us/img455/2059/darrentwilliamsoc3.jpg

Denver Native (Carol)
10-08-2008, 07:07 PM
Isn't that POS gangbanger, Willie Clark, already in jail for other stuff?

Yes - as stated today, they suspected him from the beginning, and were able to pick him up for another charge: Here is one story on him:

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2007/jan/12/willie-clarks-promise/

A young man facing sentencing a year ago in a Denver courtroom wrote the judge a letter asking for leniency, in the plaintive language often used by people in trouble.

He acknowledged that the judge likely had heard promises before.

"But I am sincere," wrote Willie Clark, in rounded, meticulous script that wouldn't look out of place in a high school girl's journal. "If you give me a chance you will not regret helping me."

A year later, that same young man is the lone person in custody, eyed as a possible suspect in the shocking New Year's morning murder of Broncos cornerback Darrent Williams.

He was picked up on an alleged parole violation - Clark was supposed to be living in the southeast Denver home of his 80-year-old grandmother who raised him, but authorities say he wasn't doing so.

That gives authorities the right to hold the 23-year-old inmate until a parole hearing, likely weeks from now. But his problems are much bigger than that.

CBS 4 News has reported that Clark was one of several people inside the Chevy Tahoe linked to Williams' shooting.

Witnesses have told police that someone inside the SUV fired bullets - at least 14 - at a rented stretch Hummer carrying Williams and his entourage as they headed home from Denver's Club Safari.

The Rev. Leon Kelly, executive director of Denver's Open Door Youth Gang Alternatives, said Clark is a member of the Tre Tre Crips.

"I've seen this kid," Kelly said. "This kid has struggled, man. He's had to deal with an uphill battle, just trying to survive his family structure. And a lot of disarray."

Clark's grandmother, Susie Johnson, vehemently turned away reporters at her southeast Denver residence this week.

Wednesday, at Denver County Court, where Clark was expected to appear - but didn't - his aunt, mother and a family friend waited in vain in the back row.

Barbara King, Clark's aunt, declined to talk.

"Everything we say would just get twisted," she said.

Yolanda Clark, his mother, wouldn't acknowledge questions.

"She's just terrified about all of this," said Clark's attorney, Michael Andre.

Clark, according to Kelly, "has been sort of passed around, trying to figure out how to make ends meet, figure out who he is.

"He's like a lot of my kids. I could understand their mindset . . . Within this gang structure, people underestimate the power and the hook that it has on a lot of these kids."

Clark's most serious previous brush with the law was in December 2002, when he was accused of hitting a police car, and trying to hit an officer who was on foot, with a stolen car in a parking lot behind The Pavilions on Denver's 16th Street Mall.

Clark bonded out.

He'd agreed to plead guilty to aggravated motor vehicle theft but skipped town in the spring of 2003 after he learned that his public defender would be recommending a prison sentence.

"I automatically went into fight or flight mode, and me being young-minded at the time fled the crtrm., running away from my problems," he later explained in a March 31, 2006, pre-sentencing letter to the court.

Clark was apprehended in December 2003 in Texas and waived extradition to Colorado.

But before he could be returned here, he was in a Texas jailhouse fight, leading to an aggravated assault conviction.

He was not freed from the Texas Department of Criminal Justice prison at Huntsville until Dec. 5, 2005.

He returned to Colorado, working for short spells as an auto detailer and at a Safeway warehouse.

Clark, the father of a 4 1/2-year-old daughter, was candid about his trouble in Texas in his letter to Denver District Judge William Robbins. But he neglected to mention that he went all the way through the Texas system using the name and birth date of his cousin, 24-year-old Stephen Futrell Howard.

Robbins on April 28 sentenced Clark for his December 2002 arrest behind the Pavilions to a one-year prison term, giving him credit for 286 days already served on his guilty plea.

Clark served his brief time at the Denver Regional Diagnostic Center. He was released on parole July 18.

In another pre-sentencing letter to Robbins, his aunt, King, wrote, "Willie is a great nephew, cousin and uncle. He has been away from all of us for so long. Willie is a young man born to young parents. His father's mother raised him, and she was an old lady, who let Willie do as he wanted. Thus allowing him to make his own decisions at an early age. Willie has made some bad decisions and had been paying the price for a long time."

If charged in connection with the Williams' slaying, some worry Clark may soon be paying a greater price.

"His grandma has been crying out for help with him for a long time," said Kelly. "If this kid gets convicted in this, look how much money is going to go to keeping him incarcerated."

Kelly has long beaten the drum for putting more community resources toward helping at-risk youth early on, to avoid the heavier costs of events such as the Darrent Williams tragedy.

He hopes that perhaps now that such a shift may occur - but he doesn't sound overly optimistic.

"Willie is a prime candidate for the back end of the system that has failed him in the beginning," said Kelly.

"If they would even consider putting half the money in the front end of his life, helping his family, helping his grandma, this kid could have been a Darrent Williams - not athletically, probably, but in other ways."

If Clark meant what he wrote last year, he believed he had the capacity for good.

"I've matured & became aware of my actions now realizing that I was not put on earth to do wrong," he wrote.

"As God as (sic) my witness I've changed for the better."

blueblood15
10-08-2008, 07:09 PM
9News will cover Denver Police Conference

Indictment handed down in Darrent Williams murder

DENVER – 9NEWS has learned an indictment has been issued against a known gang member in the shooting death of former Denver Broncos defensive back Darrent Williams.

Williams was shot to death on New Year's Day 2007 as he left a night club in a stretched Hummer limousine.

9Wants to Know has learned the indictment is being handed down against Willie Clark. Clark is currently in police custody.

A press conference was scheduled for 4:15 p.m. with the Denver Police and the Denver District Attorney’s office at which time more details are expected to be released.

UPDATE - No bond set for Clark; charged with 2 counts of 1st degree murder, also many other charges.

Darrent's Mom was contacted today, and they let her know.

FINALLY! That makes me so happy!

OB
10-08-2008, 07:13 PM
Wow awesome - although IMPO there is more to this than just him - ALL need to be brought to justice - hopefully he lives up to expectations of his kind and caves on the rest so he can get a better deal

slim
10-08-2008, 07:46 PM
Get a rope.

BroncoWave
10-08-2008, 08:03 PM
I assume Colorado is a death penalty state? If so, how long do people usually stay on death row?

BigDaddyBronco
10-08-2008, 08:04 PM
I assume Colorado is a death penalty state? If so, how long do people usually stay on death row?

Send him to Texas, we'll take care of him. :coffee:

Denver Native (Carol)
10-08-2008, 08:10 PM

Not long after Darrent was killed, it was stated that many of the people the police felt were involved, the police also felt they were involved in other crimes. I have a feeling Clark will strike a deal, where if he rats on others, he will receive life in prison - just my thoughts.

jrelway
10-08-2008, 08:18 PM
lets hope those big hillbilly montana boys that clarks locked up with show him a real nice time.

ApaOps5
10-08-2008, 08:26 PM
Not long after Darrent was killed, it was stated that many of the people the police felt were involved, the police also felt they were involved in other crimes. I have a feeling Clark will strike a deal, where if he rats on others, he will receive life in prison - just my thoughts.

Well I am glad they could get something that sticks or at least have something that sticks.

The Detectives working the case in Denver knew he was the only suspect on who pulled the trigger. I worked in airport operations at Centennial Airport and all the local airports were contacted immediately after the murder.

Clark and his cronies were suspected immediately and were flight risks. So the DPD Detectives were all over the airports. They had us working all the charter companies and scoping the FBO's (where the planes park to get fuel and pick up passengers at general aviation airports). They never fled though and things went quiet until they arrested all of them on drug charges.

One of the Detectives is also a friend of my families. He told us that DPD knew almost immediately Clark was guilty. But when the only person who can put the gun in his hands are his Crip Gang buddies it was a hard case to make. They had a ton of circumstantial evidence but needed something firm due to the high profile nature of the case.

It will be interesting to see when they unseal the grand jury indictment what evidence they used. But I am glad they had something firm enough to persue and indictment and hopefully they nail his ass.

Anyways, I have kept quiet about this for a year because it was all still developing but I thought I would share my knowledge of it.

Denver Native (Carol)
10-08-2008, 08:37 PM
Well I am glad they could get something that sticks or at least have something that sticks.

The Detectives working the case in Denver knew he was the only suspect on who pulled the trigger. I worked in airport operations at Centennial Airport and all the local airports were contacted immediately after the murder.

Clark and his cronies were suspected immediately and were flight risks. So the DPD Detectives were all over the airports. They had us working all the charter companies and scoping the FBO's (where the planes park to get fuel and pick up passengers at general aviation airports). They never fled though and things went quiet until they arrested all of them on drug charges.

One of the Detectives is also a friend of my families. He told us that DPD knew almost immediately Clark was guilty. But when the only person who can put the gun in his hands are his Crip Gang buddies it was a hard case to make. They had a ton of circumstantial evidence but needed something firm due to the high profile nature of the case.

It will be interesting to see when they unseal the grand jury indictment what evidence they used. But I am glad they had something firm enough to persue and indictment and hopefully they nail his ass.

Anyways, I have kept quiet about this for a year because it was all still developing but I thought I would share my knowledge of it.

The following is in my original post. This may be what they have:

ApaOps5
10-08-2008, 08:40 PM
The following is in my original post. This may be what they have:

Yeah I saw that too. Hopefully DPD protects him better than the last witness willing to testify against Willy Clark and the rest of the thugs. Because if memory serves me right the young lady about to testify ended up dead in front of her house.

Denver Native (Carol)
10-08-2008, 08:51 PM
Yeah I saw that too. Hopefully DPD protects him better than the last witness willing to testify against Willy Clark and the rest of the thugs. Because if memory serves me right the young lady about to testify ended up dead in front of her house.

Yes, Brian Hicks (the owner of the vehicle in Darrent's murder) I believe ordered her killed, as she was to testify about Hicks.

Spider
10-08-2008, 09:00 PM
This piece of shit Willie Clark , will never measure up to the man he took from us .. lousy ******* , I am pro death penalty in some cases , this is one of them .......

I Bleed Orange and Blue
10-08-2008, 09:30 PM
This piece of shit Willie Clark , will never measure up to the man he took from us .. lousy ******* , I am pro death penalty in some cases , this is one of them .......

whats up man.........haven't heard from you in a while......although it doesn't help the mane is like a yo yo is up, its down....Blah Fry the SOB on PPV lol

Spider
10-08-2008, 09:44 PM
whats up man.........haven't heard from you in a while......although it doesn't help the mane is like a yo yo is up, its down....Blah Fry the SOB on PPV lol

Hey Bro , I am in Wheeling west Virginia got D.O.T.ed busted :D , stuck here until morning
On my way to Langcaster P.A. .......

Retired_Member_001
10-09-2008, 04:47 AM
now send the ******* to the chair. . . .

I'm an eye for an eye, heart for a heart, life for a life kind of person.

I agree.

sneakers
10-09-2008, 07:01 AM
I just heard this, great news indeed.

Nomad
10-09-2008, 07:23 AM
Good! Hopefully now the authorities have the right guy and give him what he deserves whether death or life w/o parole. And hopefully Darrent can RIP and his family can get a sense of closer(sp)!

Slick
10-09-2008, 07:42 AM
This is great news...send this P.O.S down here to me. We can make him some concrete boots.

Az Snake
10-09-2008, 10:52 AM

http://img396.imageshack.us/img396/1376/dwiv9.jpg

Life w/o the most remote possibility of parole is the best sentence for ANY terrorist !

I'd like to see Clark and friends dead, but killing them gives them the easy way out !

GEM
10-09-2008, 11:01 AM

http://img396.imageshack.us/img396/1376/dwiv9.jpg

Life w/o the most remote possibility of parole is the best sentence for ANY terrorist !

I'd like to see Clark and friends dead, but killing them gives them the easy way out !

That smile just pulls you in, doesn't it. Happy for his mother and family, though it doesn't bring him back. :(

weazel
10-09-2008, 11:47 AM
Suspect Indicted In Murder Of Darrent Williams
DENVER -- A 25-year-old man was indicted Wednesday on first-degree murder charges in the drive-by shooting death of Denver Broncos cornerback Darrent Williams on New Year's Day 2007.

Willie D. Clark faces 39 counts, including murder, attempted murder, assault, crimes of violence and a weapons violation, Denver District Attorney Mitch Morrissey said.

Clark is in federal custody in a separate case. He was long considered a "person of interest" in Williams' slaying but is the first suspect to be indicted.

Williams' mother, Rosalind Williams of Fort Worth, Texas, told The Associated Press that the indictment brought her peace but also dredged up painful memories.

"Oh, I got bittersweet news today," she said of her phone call from Detective Michael Martinez informing her of Clark's indictment. "There's still a long ways to go, a long trial ahead. And we have to make sure this doesn't happen to another family, too."

Williams a former Oklahoma State standout, was shot and killed while riding in a rented limousine early on Jan. 1, 2007, after leaving the Safari Club, a Denver nightclub. He was 24.

The indictment said Williams and Clark were at the club with separate groups of friends and there was an altercation between the two groups. Quoting witnesses, it said Clark got into an SUV, followed the rented limo carrying Williams and opened fire.

At least 15 shots were fired into the limo. Williams was shot in the neck, and two other passengers, Nicole Reindl and Brandon Flowers, were wounded, the indictment said.

Kansas City Chiefs spokesman Bob Moore said the Brandon Flowers injured in the attack is not the Chiefs' rookie cornerback of the same name.

Denver Broncos cornerback Darrent Williams was shot and killed Jan. 1, 2007.
Also in the limousine was then-Broncos wide receiver Javon Walker, who held the dying Williams in his arms. Walker, now with the Oakland Raiders, wasn't injured.
Clark does not yet have an attorney for the Williams indictment, said Denver district attorney's spokeswoman Lynn Kimbrough. A call after hours to his attorney on a separate federal case, Alaurice Tafoya-Modi, was not immediately returned.

According to the indictment, taunts were exchanged between the groups inside the nightclub, and both groups went outside when the club closed. Witnesses testified that a "large" man from Williams' group then grabbed Clark "about the head."

Clark asked friends for "a heater," or gun, according to the indictment. Williams and his companions took off in the limo and Clark, driving the SUV, caught up and fired, a witness said. Two weapons -- a .45-caliber handgun and a .40-caliber gun -- were used, according to the indictment.

"Obviously there's more than one shooter," Morrissey said.

Clark was arrested on a parole violation four days after Williams was killed. He was charged with drug violations last year in an indictment that also named Brian Hicks, the registered owner of the SUV police say was used in the shooting.

Investigators have said Clark was part of Hicks' alleged drug operation. Hicks was in jail at the time of Williams' shooting.

Morrissey emphasized at a news conference that the police investigation into the slaying was continuing. He described the lead-up to Williams' slaying as "something that wasn't even a good fist fight, but because weapons were involved it turned into a shooting. ... It's senseless."

Police expressed frustration at the "no snitch" culture they encountered during the investigation. A break in the case occurred Aug. 21 when Detective Martinez authenticated a letter written by Clark allegedly admitting to the slaying. The letter was obtained by the Rocky Mountain News.

The indictment came down after the Broncos' practice, and long-snapper Mike Leach said as he left the team's headquarters that it brought a sense of relief to the team.

"We've been waiting for this for a long time. Hopefully they have all their ducks in a row and everything will work out the way we hope it will," he said. "I hope in some way it brings comfort to D-Will's mom and his family. You can't do anything to bring him back but if it after all these years gives a little comfort to them, hopefully it will."

Nick Ferguson, a safety who played for the Broncos with Williams, said he hoped authorities have the right person.

"I trust the people investigating the case did their homework and they won't drag people into court on charges that won't stick," said Ferguson, now with the Houston Texans. "I've seen that happen too many times.

"I'm like a lot of people who knew Darrent. I just want the people responsible to pay their debt to society for taking such a young, vibrant man from his kids and his family. Not a moment goes by that I don't think about D-Will and his family after what happened that night."

Williams' death hung over the Broncos throughout the 2007 season, as did the death of backup running back Damien Nash, who collapsed after a charity basketball game in St. Louis in March 2007.

weazel
10-09-2008, 11:52 AM
they should hang him in town square. Let William's family kill him.

Denver Native (Carol)
10-09-2008, 12:30 PM
http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/oct/08/arrest-darrent-williams-murder/

It was a murder that shattered the promise of a new year and left a community heartbroken.

Darrent Williams, the promising and popular Denver Broncos cornerback, killed in a spray of gunfire at an intersection passed by thousands each day.

For nearly two years, people waited for answers.

On Wednesday, they got one.

Authorities said known gang member Willie D. Clark and possibly one other person unloaded as many as 15 shots into Williams' limo on New Years Day 2007, killing the 24-year-old at the scene and wounding two others.

Clark, 25, was indicted on 39 counts, including first-degree murder, 16 counts of attempted murder, assault and discharging a weapon into an occupied vehicle.

The late-afternoon announcement by Denver District Attorney Mitch Morrissey and Police Chief Gerry Whitman brought some long-awaited closure to the case, considered Denver's highest-profile unsolved murder.

The killing got national attention, and Broncos fans for days left notes, balloons and candles near the crime scene at Speer Boulevard and 11th Avenue. A youth center has since been dedicated in Williams' name.

"It brings up bad memories, and it brings it all out again," Williams' mother, Rosalind, said Wednesday. "But I don't want this to happen to another family, I really don't."

Clark, already in custody on federal drug charges and long under suspicion in the killing, has maintained he is innocent.

His attorney could not be reached for comment.

New details

The indictment handed up by a Denver grand jury included new details of the killing.

Williams rented the Hummer limo to celebrate New Year's Eve with friends and fellow Broncos players, including Javon Walker, the document states. The group went to Club Safari near 10th Avenue and Broadway.

Clark also was at the club that night, along with "friends and associates" Daniel Harris, Mario Anderson and Kataina Jackson-Keeling.

Inside the club, Clark and his friends got into a "disturbance" with members of Williams' group. It ended "after words, taunts and challenges were exchanged," according to the indictment.

Clark and Harris got into another altercation with members of Williams' group outside the club as people were leaving around 1:30 a.m., witnesses said.

Someone from Williams' group "grabbed Clark around the head."

Video surveillance tapes from outside the club captured Clark, Harris, Anderson and Jackson- Keeling in front of and behind the club after it closed. It also showed Williams' group standing near the white limo.

According to the indictment, a witness heard Clark ask a friend for a "heater," which the witness understood to mean a gun.

Another witness then saw Clark get into a white Chevy Tahoe.

Williams and his group — 15 others and a driver — left the area around 2 a.m. Near the intersection of 10th Avenue and Speer, the limo driver noticed a white SUV following them.

About a block away, at 11th and Speer, the SUV pulled alongside the limo, the limo driver said, and someone opened fire.

Authorities said two weapons were used — a .40-caliber and a .45-caliber — and at least 15 shots were fired.

One hit Williams, 24, in the neck.

The indictment states that an unnamed witness who was inside the SUV told authorities that Clark fired from the driver's seat. Anderson and Jackson-Keeling also were in the vehicle.

The witness did not see anyone besides Clark shoot, the document states, but Morrissey said Wednesday it's possible there were two shooters, and the investigation is continuing.

In the hours after the shooting, police began looking for the white SUV. They found it days later, abandoned and spray-painted in northeast Denver.

The vehicle was registered to Brian Hicks, a suspected gang leader who was in jail at the time, police said.

They quickly zeroed in on members of Hicks' gang, questioning his former girlfriend and fellow gang members.

Parole violation

Four days after the murder, they arrested Clark on a parole violation. Officers said at the time they also wanted to talk to Clark about the killing.

Authorities have not said if they recovered useful physical evidence from inside the SUV.

But the case got a big hand in April 2007, when an 18-month investigation by the Metro Gang Task Force resulted in federal gang and drug indictments against about 80 people.

They included Hicks, Harris and several other members of their gang, which police say may be responsible for up to 10 other unsolved murders.

In July 2007, Clark also was charged as part of the federal indictment.

Facing federal prison sentences ranging from 10 years to life, almost all of the defendants have since reached deals with prosecutors. Many of those deals required them to provide information about the gang, and in some cases, the Williams killing.

In May, the Rocky reported it obtained a letter apparently written by Clark in which he admitted he fired the shots that killed Williams.

The person who provided the letter to the Rocky also shared it with police.

According to the indictment, Clark admitted to a Denver detective in August that he wrote the letter, in which the writer said he was worried a witness would talk to police.

Clark is currently in federal custody.

U.S. Attorney for Colorado Troy Eid said Wednesday he will likely drop the federal drug charges against Clark, at least temporarily, so the state murder case can proceed.

Eid's office will then have the option of refiling the federal charges against Clark if it chooses.

Harris, meanwhile, remains in federal custody.

Lynn Kimbrough, spokeswoman for Morrissey, said Jackson- Keeling and Anderson have not been arrested or charged with any crime at this time, though the investigation is ongoing.

Clark is being held without bail on the state charges.

NameUsedBefore
10-09-2008, 07:05 PM
They've been eying Clark for awhile... Hopefully Williams' family can find peace after all this.

Superchop 7
10-09-2008, 07:18 PM
I am pleased and hope it sticks.

Three thoughts.

1) Better witness protection is desperately needed in this country, there are too many intimidated witnesses afraid to testify.

2) Any member of a gang should mandatorily receive triple the sentence for "any" crime. (and triple the tail) They create an entire crime wave and rarely get caught, to me, it's fair, lock em up, keep em there, they are in a gang to spit in the face of law and the public.

3) We need to pay our police a better wage, the better the wage, the more the job means, the better the level of care and effort, lets face it, some cops just don't care. (Aspen police force comes to mind, they are a joke)

Denver Native (Carol)
10-17-2008, 06:46 PM
http://www.9news.com/news/article.aspx?storyid=102028&catid=339

Suspect in Williams' murder case appears in court

DENVER – Deputies led a known gang member into a Denver courtroom Friday morning to be advised of the charges against him in the Darrent Williams murder case.

Willie Clark was advised Friday of the 39 counts against him. Those include two counts of first-degree murder, several other counts of attempted murder, assault and possession of a firearm by a previous offender. He has long been considered a "person of interest" in Williams' slaying but is the first suspect to be indicted.

Williams, 24, was shot to death on New Year's Day 2007 as he left the Safari Club in a rented stretched Hummer limousine. He was a Denver Broncos cornerback.

Denver District Attorney Mitch Morrissey announced the grand jury indictment against 25-year-old Clark last Wednesday from the Denver Police Headquarters.

"The investigation shows that Willie Clark was present in the SUV that was involved in the shooting here," said Morrissey. "There are numerous people in the SUV and we are alleging in the indictment that Willie Clark is responsible for the murder of Darrent Williams."

According to the indictment, taunts were exchanged between the groups inside the nightclub, and both groups went outside when the club closed. Witnesses testified that a "large" man from Williams' group then grabbed Clark "about the head."

Clark asked friends for "a heater," or gun, according to the indictment. Williams and his companions took off in the limo and Clark, driving the SUV, caught up and fired, a witness said. Two weapons - a .45-caliber handgun and a .40-caliber gun -- were used, according to the indictment.

"Obviously there's more than one shooter," Morrissey said.

Clark was arrested on a parole violation four days after Williams was killed. He was charged with drug violations last year in an indictment that also named Brian Hicks, the registered owner of the SUV police say was used in the shooting.

Clark will appear in court Oct. 30 at 8:30 a.m. for an arraignment.

Day1BroncoFan
10-17-2008, 06:50 PM
Great news. If this guy is guilty, I hope they throw the book at him and catch whoever else is involved.