PDA

View Full Version : If the season ended today (After week 5)

RunYouOver
10-07-2008, 08:42 PM
Let me start off by saying YES, I KNOW IT IS WEEK 5!!.

Just because I know some people are going to respond to this thread without even reading this line and say, "It's only week 5, this is completely pointless" or "At least wait until week 12 or 13 before making these." Well...you'd look pretty silly posting that now, because it just proves that you didn't read this ;)

I don't mind making this though, and I know there are quite a few people who enjoy seeing this anyway, so I'm making these threads every week, just to see what the playoffs would look like if the season ended today. :cheers:

So, if the NFL season ended on October 7, 2008, the playoffs would look like this:

AFC:

1) Tennessee Titans (5-0)

2) Pittsburgh Steelers (4-1)

3) Denver Broncos (4-1)

4) Buffalo Bills (4-1)

5) New England Patriots (3-1)

6) Baltimore Ravens (2-2)

Explanations:

--Titans have the best record, so they are the #1 seed.

--Steelers (1.000) have the better divisional winning percentage among themselves, the Bills and Broncos, Tie-breaking procedure rule #2 among 3 or more teams.

--The Broncos (.667) have a better divisional winning percentage than the Bills (.000, 0-0), so they are awarded the higher seed.

--The Bills are the last divisional leader, sot hey are the fourth seed

--The New England Patriots have the best record among non divisional leaders, and so they are the first wild card seed, #5 overall.

--The Colts, Ravens, Jets and Dolphins are all 2-2. The Dolphins are eliminated because of a head to head loss to the Jets. Between the Colts, Ravens and Jets, the Ravens (.667) have the best divisional winning percentage. The Jets and Colts are both 1-1 (.500).

Matchups:

Wild Card Round:

The Titans and Steelers have a bye.

Baltimore @ Denver Predicted winner: Denver

New England @ Buffalo Predicted winner: Buffalo

Divisional Round:

Buffalo @ Tennessee Predicted winner: Buffalo

Denver @ Pittsburgh Predicted winner: Pittsburgh

Conference Round:

Buffalo @ Pittsburgh predicted winner: Pittsburgh

NFC:

1) New York Giants (4-0)

2) Carolina Panthers (4-1)

3) Arizona Cardinals (3-2)

4) Chicago Bears (3-2)

5) Washington Redskins (4-1)

6) Dallas Cowboys (4-1)

Explanations:

--The Giants have the best record in the NFC and are the first seed

-- The Panthers have the second best record among division leaders and are the second seed

--Since Arizona and Chicago both have the same divisional and conference winning percentage, and haven't played head to head, the tiebreaker goes to Strength of Victory, and Arizona has a higher strength of victory than the Bears

--The Bears have a lower strength of schedule than the Cardinals and are the last division leader, so they are the fourth seed

--The Redskins and Cowboys have the best two records among non division leaders, and the Redskins beat the Cowboys head to head, sot hey are the fifth seed

--The Cowboys lost to the Redskins but have the best record among remaining non division leaders, so they are the sixth and final seed.

Matchups:
Wild Card Round:

The Giants and Panthers have bye weeks.

Dallas @ Arizona Predicted winner: Dallas

Washington @ Chicago Predicted winner: Washington

Divisional Round:

Dallas @ Giants Predicted winner: Giants

Washington @ Carolina Predicted winner: Washington

Conference Round:

Washington @ Giants Predicted winner: Giants

Superbowl:

Pittsburgh vs. Giants Predicted winner: Pittsburgh

The predictions are, of course, even more pointless than this thread, but I'll update those every week too.

Enjoy :beer:

tripleoption
10-07-2008, 08:51 PM
It's only week five, but it makes for a fun read!! I'm looking forward to you making your postings every week and watching how things change.

Nomad
10-07-2008, 08:53 PM
It's only week five, but it makes for a fun read!! I'm looking forward to you making your postings every week and watching how things change.

RYO does a good job! He did/does a good job at BM! And it's entertaining to read!

slim
10-07-2008, 09:08 PM
If the season ended today I would be very sad.

I have been waiting 7 months for this season to start. I'll be damned if I'll let it go after 5 weeks.

TXBRONC
10-07-2008, 09:22 PM
Like Slim said I would pretty sad if the season ended after just five weeks. :D

Fan in Exile
10-07-2008, 09:34 PM
We could totally beat the stealers though. The way Big Ben is beat up right now and the holes they have in their O-line we could take em. :)

pnbronco
10-07-2008, 09:48 PM
Thanks RYO I look forward to reading this over the season...:D

BroncoWave
10-07-2008, 10:20 PM
I would love nothing more than to get a playoff rematch with Pitt to get revenge from 05.

dogfish
10-07-2008, 10:30 PM
hey RYO, it's only week five. . . . :noidea:

oh, and no way buffalo goes into tennessee and beats the titans the way they're playing right now!

blueblood15
10-07-2008, 11:33 PM

oh, and no way buffalo goes into tennessee and beats the titans the way they're playing right now! <<<<

This, and Pittsburgh isnt doing very well. You forget all the sacks they are giving up? Or all the injuries? Not sayin by the end of the year when healthy they wouldnt be a damn good team... BUT. You said... "if the season ended today" They have beat Houston (horrible team) Cleveland (playing terrible) Baltimore, BARELY (rookie QB), Jacksonville (Whole O line is injured) and lost to Philadelphia.

TXBRONC
10-08-2008, 08:25 AM

oh, and no way buffalo goes into tennessee and beats the titans the way they're playing right now!

Yeah the Titans have down right nasty steak in them especially on defense.

RunYouOver
10-08-2008, 02:17 PM
This thread is more for viewing what the playoffs would look like after this week, the predictions are just something I added to make it a little more interesting (And to see if, at any point, I was right at the end of the season :laugh:)

smith49
10-08-2008, 06:41 PM
be sure to keep em commin RYO. i love this kind of stuff, even if its nonsense.

Drill-N-Fill
10-08-2008, 07:22 PM
There are only 3 teams that worry me when we play them. Pitt, Jax, & SD. I don't think the Bills or Tenn are as good as advertised.

This week is going to be tough IMO.

Drill-N-Fill
10-08-2008, 07:24 PM
It's only week 5, this is completely pointless wait until week 12 or 13 before making these.

Well, somebody had to say it..:coffee: