PDA

View Full Version : Broncos Next Win Will be 400th

Magnificent Seven
10-07-2008, 04:59 PM
The next victory recorded by the Denver Broncos will be the team’s 400th, a significant number by any standard but one that truly has to be regarded as monumental by those who have watched the team since its inception.

And if you have not, as is presumably the case with most readers, I can only say, you had to be there.

You simply could never believe it otherwise.

This franchise truly was the poster child for the worst imaginable team in pro sports.

Members of the expansion American Football League, “The Foolish Club,” as the eight owners were dubbed, the Broncos played their first two seasons in second hand uniforms.

Roster cuts sometimes were made as players got on the bus after a game, as in, “Get on,” or “Not so fast . . .”

Players lived barracks style in their first training camp.

There were no weights, so the team equipment man poured cement in some buckets and put a bucket at the end of a metal pipe for weight training.

If you had told the team’s few season ticket holders, back in the day, that the game and league would grow like this, and that when it did, the Broncos would be at the forefront of that growth, you would have been considered a candidate for mental assistance.

This is a team that used to record its annual wins on the fingers of one hand, and usually did not have to utilize the thumb.

Counting that way, it’s a long haul to 400.

But now the math shows that of the eight original AFL franchises, only the Oakand Raiders have won more games than Denver.

Of all the teams in football, only the Dallas Cowboys have been to more Super Bowls–Dallas has played in seven and the Broncos in six.

The Broncos have the best home record in the NFL from 1974 to the present.

The Broncos have more home wins in that time frame, 35 years, than any other pro, college, or high school team has amassed in any consecutive 35-year period in the history of the sport of football.

And where are we now?

The Broncos are 4-1 and certainly appear to be a franchise with a very strong foundation for continued success, the long term record that any team would desire.

So while that 400th win, when it comes, likely will be breezed over as barely a footnote in the sports section, it is a lot more than that to those who remember the day.

Lest we forget.

http://blog.denverbroncos.com/jsaccomano/2008/10/07/broncos-next-win-will-be-400th/

Magnificent Seven
10-07-2008, 05:40 PM
Mike Shanahan have won 150 games and now it will be Broncos' 400th wins soon. AWESOME!

Nick
10-07-2008, 05:59 PM
Also there is only one team above Broncos on consecutive sell outs and that is the skins and they are not to far apart.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_4287756

http://www.profootballhof.com/histor...ranchise_id=32

The Skins have A consecutive sellout streak began in 1968 and is still alive today. No other NFL team can claim that long a string of sellouts.

It was Dec. 14, 1969, and a quarterback named Pete Liske led the Broncos past the Cincinnati Bengals 27-16 in an AFL game before a crowd of 42,198 at old Mile High Stadium. Since that game... They have sold out every game.

Only the Washington Redskins have a longer sellout streak. BUT!!! I think the Raiders have 3 maybe right now.

I did not know this will be 400 and thank you for posting.

nj10
10-07-2008, 06:01 PM
Shanny has 142...8 Of his don't count. Ask him. He'll agree.

claymore
10-07-2008, 06:27 PM
I think I wanna cry........ I love these som bishes.

RunYouOver
10-07-2008, 08:58 PM
Great post and a cool read.

Thanks!

Calif. Bronco
10-07-2008, 10:54 PM
Shanny has 142...8 Of his don't count. Ask him. He'll agree.

Although I have no doubt he would agree, considering the circus in which those were acheived, one could argue those 8 were his most impressive. ;)

hamrob
10-07-2008, 11:23 PM
400 is a tremendous feat. I wonder how many other teams have more? That's quite an accomplishment.

Shanny having 142 with the Broncos is also one hell of an accomplishment. I think we'll see him get 200...which means over 450 for our Broncos. Wow!