PDA

View Full Version : Are the Broncos cornering the quarterback market?

robert ethan
03-23-2011, 08:59 PM
At a time when there is a dearth of capable starting quarterbacks around the league, Denver has exceptional depth at the position. At the end of last season, only half the teams had their original starter at the helm due to injury, bad performance, off field problems, etc. There were six rookie starters at the position, even though only four quarterbacks were taken in the first three rounds in 2010. Now Brett Favre is gone, Carson Palmer and Vince Young are in limbo. The jury remains out on several young starters such as Matt Stafford (injury), Mark Sanchez (accuracy), Colt McCoy (unproven), Jimmy Clausen (terrible performance).

Except for one game in which Kyle Orton was injured, Denver had three healthy quarterbacks capable of starting all season long. They still have those three and are keenly scrutinizing the top quarterbacks available in the draft. The standard response is that it is a "smokescreen", but that makes no sense. It is unnecessary given their position in the draft and the number of teams behind them looking for quarterbacks. BUT, if they take another premium talent off the board at the position it makes all of their assets more valuable. If there is a big run on gold in the stock market, why not buy more to drive the price up even further, if you're in position to do so? It isn't like a half dozen NFL caliber quarterbacks are going to show up on the scene suddenly,from Bulgaria or something.

With Orton, Tebow, Quinn, and a draft pick that represents Newton or Gabbert the Broncos can mix and match as they choose, depending on the offers that come in. They could trade one or two of these "assets" at inflated value and still be left with competent to good performance at the position. That is what I would do in the situation, since none of the defensive players available seem exceptional. The "defensive stud of the moment" seems to change by the day which is a good indication none of them are that exceptional.

silkamilkamonico
03-23-2011, 09:22 PM
Yes I believe they are. Tebow hasn't shown much of anything other than explosive playmaking ability and very good leadership qualities. That's a little too "offensive" for John Fox.

Jake Delhomme version 2.0 is out there somewhere, and we will get him.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-23-2011, 09:23 PM
I agree with the following comments:

Lets keep this in perspective.

It would be easy to forget that all of this posturing, and looking at quarterbacks by the Broncos is not a total smoke screen. If you are buying it as well, then it is working exactly the way it is supposed to. It is becoming more and more obvious to me, that the Broncos want to trade down, and get several picks for their #2. I cannot say that I blame them at all, except I would really like to see Patrick Peterson in a Bronco uniform.
The Broncos are baiting whatever team would be willing to part with several picks for their #2 overall pick. End of story.

http://www.milehighreport.com/2011/3/21/2064778/why-the-broncos-are-looking-at-so-many-quarterbacks

silkamilkamonico
03-23-2011, 09:25 PM
I just really hope Denver isn't neglecting any positions they should be targeting while they continue to play this cat and mouse game with the QB position.

Whatever happens, if they don't have a stellar draft of player talent, their should be a bullseye on everyones shoulder's, starting with John Elway and PAt Bowlen.

Medford Bronco
03-23-2011, 09:29 PM
Yes I believe they are. Tebow hasn't shown much of anything other than explosive playmaking ability and very good leadership qualities. That's a little too "offensive" for John Fox.

Jake Delhomme version 2.0 is out there somewhere, and we will get him.

lol I hope not. I would rather put a fork in my eye than get a Jake Dellome type in here. He is was and ever will be a bum. :lol:

nevcraw
03-23-2011, 10:17 PM
the whole Delhome thingy has me scratching my head.

Fox's teams in NC ranged from good to under achievers.. it's not like they were perennial contenders..
wouldn't he learn that a delhomme type is a not necc. a recipe for success.

robert ethan
03-23-2011, 10:28 PM
I agree with the following comments:

http://www.milehighreport.com/2011/3/21/2064778/why-the-broncos-are-looking-at-so-many-quarterbacks

That argument is included in mine. The #2 overall pick is an asset that can be traded beforehand for someone desperate for a quarterback. It may be more of an asset if the perception (real or false) is that the Broncos might use it for a quarterback. But not much more. Anyone looking for the second premium quarterback would still have to trade ahead of Buffalo. Including Buffalo. If the Bills at #3 want one particular quarterback, or one of the top two, they have to move up to guarantee it. It sets up a auction among several teams drafting from #3 onwards for either the #1 or #2 pick. Frankly, I'd be surprised if the Broncos didn't trade their pick back in that situation since the offers would be very good. The only way, as I said, might be if they had solid offers for Tebow and/or Orton on the side. In that case they could use their pick on Gabbert or Newton and use any picks aquired for the veteran quarterbacks to address other needs. It's a good situation for the team to be in. I mentioned awhile back the signs were pointing to this and nothing has changed much. Gabbert and Newton still seem neck and neck, and both are getting rave reviews from the likes of Ron Rivera, Chan Gailey, Marv Lewis, Ken Whisenhunt, Mike Holmgren, etc.

Sinthor
03-24-2011, 01:26 AM
At a time when there is a dearth of capable starting quarterbacks around the league, Denver has exceptional depth at the position. At the end of last season, only half the teams had their original starter at the helm due to injury, bad performance, off field problems, etc. There were six rookie starters at the position, even though only four quarterbacks were taken in the first three rounds in 2010. Now Brett Favre is gone, Carson Palmer and Vince Young are in limbo. The jury remains out on several young starters such as Matt Stafford (injury), Mark Sanchez (accuracy), Colt McCoy (unproven), Jimmy Clausen (terrible performance).

Except for one game in which Kyle Orton was injured, Denver had three healthy quarterbacks capable of starting all season long. They still have those three and are keenly scrutinizing the top quarterbacks available in the draft. The standard response is that it is a "smokescreen", but that makes no sense. It is unnecessary given their position in the draft and the number of teams behind them looking for quarterbacks. BUT, if they take another premium talent off the board at the position it makes all of their assets more valuable. If there is a big run on gold in the stock market, why not buy more to drive the price up even further, if you're in position to do so? It isn't like a half dozen NFL caliber quarterbacks are going to show up on the scene suddenly,from Bulgaria or something.

With Orton, Tebow, Quinn, and a draft pick that represents Newton or Gabbert the Broncos can mix and match as they choose, depending on the offers that come in. They could trade one or two of these "assets" at inflated value and still be left with competent to good performance at the position. That is what I would do in the situation, since none of the defensive players available seem exceptional. The "defensive stud of the moment" seems to change by the day which is a good indication none of them are that exceptional.

The problem is, this would make no sense. It's much more economical to just trade the pick rather than pick up the player and THEN try to trade him. If you do that, the player you really WANTED to pick might well be with a team who has no interest in the position or player you're trying to trade. No, they'll either go defense with the high pick or trade down and then still go primarily defense with those picks.

rcsodak
03-24-2011, 07:22 AM
That argument is included in mine. The #2 overall pick is an asset that can be traded beforehand for someone desperate for a quarterback. It may be more of an asset if the perception (real or false) is that the Broncos might use it for a quarterback. But not much more. Anyone looking for the second premium quarterback would still have to trade ahead of Buffalo. Including Buffalo. If the Bills at #3 want one particular quarterback, or one of the top two, they have to move up to guarantee it. It sets up a auction among several teams drafting from #3 onwards for either the #1 or #2 pick. Frankly, I'd be surprised if the Broncos didn't trade their pick back in that situation since the offers would be very good. The only way, as I said, might be if they had solid offers for Tebow and/or Orton on the side. In that case they could use their pick on Gabbert or Newton and use any picks aquired for the veteran quarterbacks to address other needs. It's a good situation for the team to be in. I mentioned awhile back the signs were pointing to this and nothing has changed much. Gabbert and Newton still seem neck and neck, and both are getting rave reviews from the likes of Ron Rivera, Chan Gailey, Marv Lewis, Ken Whisenhunt, Mike Holmgren, etc.

Rule#1:Always take what a headcoach says, with a grain of salt.
Rule#2:NEVER trust a headcoach leading up to the draft.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

topscribe
03-24-2011, 10:21 AM
I just really hope Denver isn't neglecting any positions they should be targeting while they continue to play this cat and mouse game with the QB position.

Whatever happens, if they don't have a stellar draft of player talent, their should be a bullseye on everyones shoulder's, starting with John Elway and PAt Bowlen.

I am sick and tired of seeing offensive players being selected year after year,
while the defense has gone down the toilet. From my own personal view, they
had better do defensive drafting this year. That is all.

-----

rationalfan
03-24-2011, 10:29 AM
I am sick and tired of seeing offensive players being selected year after year,
while the defense has gone down the toilet. From my own personal view, they
had better do defensive drafting this year. That is all.

-----

i like the sentiment, but don't agree. drafting defense just because is as dumb as some of the things shanny did (like drafting only cornerbacks for four rounds). with a team as talent poor as the broncos, you draft the best available player regardless of position. the team's not one or two defensive players away from the super bowl. this is going to take time. of course, i hope i'm wrong.

Krugan
03-24-2011, 10:35 AM
How about drafting the best available player at a position of need...

I leave that open to eachs opinion.

With this many holes, its not just BPA, but BPA with a cause.

topscribe
03-24-2011, 10:41 AM
i like the sentiment, but don't agree. drafting defense just because is as dumb as some of the things shanny did (like drafting only cornerbacks for four rounds). with a team as talent poor as the broncos, you draft the best available player regardless of position. the team's not one or two defensive players away from the super bowl. this is going to take time. of course, i hope i'm wrong.

Drafting defense will be "just because" the Broncos were dead last in the league
in defense last year. That is reason enough.

An article in Fox 31 TV in Denver wonders if Cam Newton is going to Denver.
Great. So Denver ends up with two Tebows who can run but are a long ways
away from playing effectively in the pocket, while a gargantuan hole remains
in the middle of the defensive line.

Well, it's wait and see whether there is a brain among Denver's brain trust . . .

-----

BroncoStud
03-24-2011, 11:09 AM
Top is right, why draft Newton when we have Tebow. I'm not sold on ANY of our QB's and I highly doubt most NFL teams consider Quinn a "starter" at this level but at some point the defense needs attention. Getting rid of 2 DT's is a pretty good indication that at least 1 of them is going to be addressed via draft.

I just don't think there is a QB in this draft that is worth passing on defense for, I would love to see Denver trade back and acquire another 1st rounder this year and pick up 2 defensive studs in round 1.

Quite honestly, I would prefer Locker to Newton or any of the others but none of them comes close to offering what Luck does next year.

dogfish
03-24-2011, 12:05 PM
http://img845.imageshack.us/img845/9479/marcelldareus076944077.jpg (http://img845.imageshack.us/i/marcelldareus076944077.jpg/)

SOLVED!!

you're welcome. . . .

Superchop 7
03-24-2011, 12:43 PM
I would be throwing things if we went QB with one of our top 3 picks.

Juriga72
03-24-2011, 12:45 PM
How about we draft great players instead of crap.
WHY take Mathews III when he was just "Projected to become a GREAT 3-4 end in the NFL"...

nah lets stick with Ayers who was graded as- "Possibly can play some role in the 3-4"

2nd or 3rd round......LMAO

Needless to say, Ayers' stock is on the rise and he probably has himself in position to go off the board in either the second or third round in April's NFL Draft. He does not have incredible size (6'3' and 270 pounds), so he must continue to impress with his speed at the upcoming combine. Ayers can run under 4.7 in the 40-yard-dash and his quickness allows him to get around offensive tackles and be effective in the pass rush. He can also play linebacker, and NFL teams will enjoy such versatility. The only real weaknesses seem to be correcting themselves at the moment. Ayers lacked production early in his UT career and ran into a few problems off the field. All of that changed last season for Ayers, who was a team captain.

robert ethan
03-24-2011, 12:46 PM
Mike Lombardi at NFLN did a piece today saying a lot of the same things I was concerning the QBs, the draft, and in part, the Broncos. He seems to see it in a similar fashion. Lombardi is generally close to what happens, and he has always been a Tebow supporter.

weazel
03-24-2011, 01:36 PM
or from what they've seen, the Broncos just don't believe in Tebow...

BroncoNut
03-24-2011, 02:16 PM
How about we draft great players instead of crap.
WHY take Mathews III when he was just "Projected to become a GREAT 3-4 end in the NFL"...

nah lets stick with Ayers who was graded as- "Possibly can play some role in the 3-4"

2nd or 3rd round......LMAO

Needless to say, Ayers' stock is on the rise and he probably has himself in position to go off the board in either the second or third round in April's NFL Draft. He does not have incredible size (6'3' and 270 pounds), so he must continue to impress with his speed at the upcoming combine. Ayers can run under 4.7 in the 40-yard-dash and his quickness allows him to get around offensive tackles and be effective in the pass rush. He can also play linebacker, and NFL teams will enjoy such versatility. The only real weaknesses seem to be correcting themselves at the moment. Ayers lacked production early in his UT career and ran into a few problems off the field. All of that changed last season for Ayers, who was a team captain.

sounds like you are quite fond of Mr. Ayers.

rcsodak
03-24-2011, 02:37 PM
sounds like you are quite fond of Mr. Ayers.Mayock sure was.

robert ethan
03-24-2011, 02:47 PM
In fairness to Mayock, he said that Ayers "COULD become the best player from the 2009 draft IN THREE YEARS". We aren't there yet, and Robert showed signs of being a star before he got hurt last season. I don't think he was a bad pick. Moreno, either.

rcsodak
03-24-2011, 02:53 PM
In fairness to Mayock, he said that Ayers "COULD become the best player from the 2009 draft IN THREE YEARS". We aren't there yet, and Robert showed signs of being a star before he got hurt last season. I don't think he was a bad pick. Moreno, either.
Nope. Nor me. Ayers playing his natural position will hopefully let him shine. And I hope knowmo/the OL can catch on to the zbs quickly.

underrated29
03-24-2011, 02:56 PM

We are not talent poor though. We are not.

Talent poor teams that pick in the top 5 pick:

a franchise QB- We will NOT be taking one
a franchise LT- We already have one
a Franchise DE- We already have one
a Franchise RB- We already have one
a Franchise WR- We already have one
a Franchise DB- We aready have one
a Franchise DT- WE DO NOT have one

So of the most important positions in football we already have all but 1. We are not a talent poor team. Please stop saying that like it is true.

Our Defense, namely front 7 is talent poor. Esp at DT, and we need LB and S too. We are as good as most at CB, we are fine at DE but can always use an upgrade and Ayers is a wild card in a good way.

Total team needs

OFFENSE:
TE
RB depth
ORT/G-if harris walks

DEFENSE:
DTx2
DE depth
OLB
S

Of all the college football players in the world, we have a shot to draft 4 in the top 70 of ALL of them. Lets say we knock out DTx2, OLB and S.....That will leave us with DE, TE, RB and ORT/G- 4 positions that require talent.

4 out of 22 is not bad, and a couple of those are depth and non major impact which can be had in FA- if there ever is a FA....We are a lot closer than a talent poor team with the 2nd overall pick.

broncofaninfla
03-24-2011, 06:26 PM
If Elway wanted to trade Tebow he'd be talking him up, not down. Instead he's talking Orton up. If anybody gets traded it's Orton.

nevcraw
03-24-2011, 07:41 PM
We are not talent poor though. We are not.

I understand your premise but don't see the above as black and white as you have presented.

a franchise QB- there might not be one in this draft.
a franchise LT- agreed but still coming off injury
a Franchise DE- coming off season ending injury and best season was at 3-4 OLB
a Franchise RB- not even close to franchise at this point
a Franchise WR- close to 30 and had only one good year
a Franchise DB- essentially on a 1 year contract and over 30
a Franchise DT- WE DO NOT have one - agreed

Northman
03-24-2011, 07:50 PM

If Denver were to draft a QB with the #2 pick i would put the bullseye directly on them. However, trading back and raping some team of draft picks i would be more than happy with considering how much we lost the last 2 years. Some would contend that this draft is deep defensively. If thats the case it is an intelligent move to try and trade back. If not, they are still in position to take one of the best Dlineman out there.

TXBRONC
03-24-2011, 09:25 PM
I just don't see us taking a quarterback with the 2nd overall pick. Yes they've scouted several but they've also scouted a lot defensive players so I'm just no going to worry about it. There is only one offensive player I think the would have had to give serious thought to taking but he decided to stay in school so I don't think we have to worry about it.

robert ethan
03-24-2011, 09:50 PM
I don't think there is any guarantee he would have gone ahead of Newton and Gabbert if he declared. They are both much better athletes with much better arms. Luck has good accuracy and comes from a pro style offense. It would depend on what a team valued most. Harbaugh tried to recruit Gabbert to Stanford before he turned his attention to Luck.

NameUsedBefore
03-24-2011, 10:04 PM
I will snort coffee up my nose if Denver drafts a QB.

topscribe
03-24-2011, 10:05 PM
Mayock sure was.

And he still may very well be right. Even Fox seemed to imply that we haven't
yet seen the best of Ayers.

What if Michael Jordan's basketball game had been judged by the way he played
baseball? The point is, Ayers was put at a position that was not natural to him.
He is a 4-3 DE, not a 3-4 OLB. Fox indicated the same.

Mayock said Ayers would bloom in his third year. Well . . .

-----

topscribe
03-24-2011, 10:07 PM
If Elway wanted to trade Tebow he'd be talking him up, not down. Instead he's talking Orton up. If anybody gets traded it's Orton.

Nothing wrong with that opinion.

Of course, that is all it is . . . an opinion . . .

-----

robert ethan
03-25-2011, 12:22 AM
I think there is a decent chance the team takes a quarterback and trades Tebow. He seems to scare the current bosses. Maybe they don't think his effectiveness will ever match his popularity, and the longer they keep him the more popular he will be.

vettesplus
03-25-2011, 08:34 AM
2 words...cam newton!!!

BroncoStud
03-25-2011, 09:53 AM
2 words...cam newton!!!

2 words - Jake Locker.

The guy was the only threat Washington had and he made some of the most amazing plays in the past 4 years of college football, winning games, pulling out come-from-behinds, moving chains with his legs. Cannon arm, VERY fast, bit and strong, and a natural leader.

Without Locker Washington is one of the worst NCAA teams, with him they are threat to win in any game.

Locker >>> Newton IMO

tomjonesrocks
03-25-2011, 10:08 AM
Talent poor teams that pick in the top 5 pick:

You're calling Moreno a "franchise" RB? He's likely not even a top 20 NFL back. Is the "franchise" WR you're referring to Brandon Lloyd? DT's done--wasted pick. And our "franchise" DB probably will have to move to safety in the next 1-2 years.

NameUsedBefore
03-25-2011, 11:47 AM
Honestly, as far as youth is concerned, I don't think the team has franchise anything except tackle with Ryan Clady right now.

Ravage!!!
03-25-2011, 12:12 PM
Honestly, as far as youth is concerned, I don't think the team has franchise anything except tackle with Ryan Clady right now.

I agree. He's about the only "franchise" player I can think of on the roster.