PDA

View Full Version : Compare to NFL players

cuzz4169
03-23-2011, 04:07 PM
Ok got another little thing to start a debate I'm bored and my wife is not home to argue with lol. Take these 8 guys and give a far comparison to an NFL player. Who you think he will turn out like as a player.

Marcell Dareus-Gerard Warren or Pat Williams is the best he will be.
Von Miller-Cornelius Bennett/Terrell Suggs
Patrick Peterson-Nnamdi Asomugha
Nick Fairley-Warren Sapp or Amobi Okoye
Robert Quinn-Alex Brown
Da'Quan Bowers-Gaines Adams
Blaine Gabbert-Eli Manning more athletic though
Cam Newton-Vince Young

Poet
03-23-2011, 04:25 PM
I'm going to post a player whose impact that they will match, imo, not necessarily playstyle.

Marcell Dareus- Albert Haynesworth (when AB wants to actually be the dominant player he is).

Von Miller- I like the Suggs comparison.

Patrick Peterson- I have trouble with this because I don't like Peterson, mainly because a lot of his supporters are really over-the-top. That being said, this guy has an incredible amount of talent. I'm going to say that he is successful, but never lives up to the Revis/Nnamdi hype. Asante Samuel.

Nick Fairley- This guy is either going to be dominant or awful. I like the tough-guy mentality that he brings to the field, so I'll go with dominant. Sam Adams in his prime.

Robert Quinn- I know very little about this guy...so since I hate his last name I predict he is the worst player ever.

Da'Quan Bowers- Robert Mathis.

Blaine Gabbert- Joey Harrington.

Cam Newton- Akili Smith.

rcsodak
03-23-2011, 04:34 PM
Ok got another little thing to start a debate I'm bored and my wife is not home to argue with lol. Take these 8 guys and give a far comparison to an NFL player. Who you think he will turn out like as a player.

Marcell Dareus-Gerard Warren or Pat Williams is the best he will be.
Von Miller-Cornelius Bennett/Terrell Suggs
Patrick Peterson-Nnamdi Asomugha
Nick Fairley-Warren Sapp or Amobi Okoye
Robert Quinn-Alex Brown
Da'Quan Bowers-Gaines Adams
Blaine Gabbert-Eli Manning more athletic though
Cam Newton-Vince Young
So warren sapp himself saying Dareus is like him the most means nothing?

And neither vy/tt are the passer that newton already is. His main thing is he sucks at his footwork. - Mayock
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

cuzz4169
03-23-2011, 04:37 PM
I'm going to post a player whose impact that they will match, imo, not necessarily playstyle.

Marcell Dareus- Albert Haynesworth (when AB wants to actually be the dominant player he is).

Patrick Peterson- I have trouble with this because I don't like Peterson, mainly because a lot of his supporters are really over-the-top. That being said, this guy has an incredible amount of talent. I'm going to say that he is successful, but never lives up to the Revis/Nnamdi hype. Asante Samuel.

Nick Fairley- This guy is either going to be dominant or awful. I like the tough-guy mentality that he brings to the field, so I'll go with dominant. Sam Adams in his prime.

Robert Quinn- I know very little about this guy...so since I hate his last name I predict he is the worst player ever.

Cam Newton- Akili Smith.

HAHAHAHA Worst player ever funny shit. My list is on the type of impact they will have as a player. I can see Gabbert being Harrington also. I'm not big on Bowers at all. Dareus to haynesworth blows me away. Haynesworth was a stud. Definitely don't see that in Dareus. Don't see it on film at all.

cuzz4169
03-23-2011, 04:43 PM

And neither vy/tt are the passer that newton already is. His main thing is he sucks at his footwork. - Mayock

Ok Let me say this...I really don't care what any X player or self proclaimed draft expert has to say about a player. There opinion is no better than mine. If its not coming from the broncos organization it means nothing.

Warren Sapp is an Idiot!!! Dareus is NOT a pass rusher Sapp was and so is Fairley. Sapp was saying that Dareus was like him bc the way he uses his hands. Dareus game film does not look anything like Sapp on film. I can see Fairley as a 10 + sack guy at DT or a piece of shit. I see Dareus as a solid player never a game changer.

zbeg
03-23-2011, 05:35 PM
Ok Let me say this...I really don't care what any X player or self proclaimed draft expert has to say about a player. There opinion is no better than mine. If its not coming from the broncos organization it means nothing.

...because you know as much as the guy who watches thousands of hours of film and is around the game 24/7 and makes it his job to do so? There's no difference between you, the guy who watches a few college games, and the guy who's watched every snap of that player on tape?

There's arrogance, and then there's arrogance.

cuzz4169
03-23-2011, 06:06 PM
...because you know as much as the guy who watches thousands of hours of film and is around the game 24/7 and makes it his job to do so? There's no difference between you, the guy who watches a few college games, and the guy who's watched every snap of that player on tape?

There's arrogance, and then there's arrogance.

You have no clue what I do buddy.

SR
03-23-2011, 06:10 PM

Enlighten us, please.

Northman
03-23-2011, 06:26 PM

Cam Newton- Akili Smith.

Very nice, i agree with you here.

rcsodak
03-23-2011, 06:41 PM
Enlighten us, please.
He's Rex Ryan

:laugh:

Ziggy
03-23-2011, 07:31 PM
I'll give my opinion on the best case scenario comparisons for each one:

Marcell Dareus- Reggie White
Von Miller- Derrick Thomas
Patrick Peterson- Nnamdi Asomugha
Nick Fairley- Warren Sapp
Robert Quinn- Charles Haley
Daquan Bowers- Julius Peppers
Blaine Gabbert- John Elway
Cam Newton- Michael Vick

rcsodak
03-23-2011, 07:33 PM
I'll give my opinion on the best case scenario comparisons for each one:

Marcell Dareus- Reggie White
Von Miller- Derrick Thomas
Patrick Peterson- Nnamdi Asomugha
Nick Fairley- Warren Sapp
Robert Quinn- Charles Haley
Daquan Bowers- Julius Peppers
Blaine Gabbert- John Elway
Cam Newton- Michael Vick

Now THAT I can fish with! ; )

I Eat Staples
03-23-2011, 09:00 PM

Cam Newton- Akili Smith.

I think most of these are spot on, except Peterson seems like more of a shut down corner than a Samuel type that gives up big plays and creates big plays. I'd call him Champ Bailey light.

The Cam Newton/Akili Smith comparison is probably one of the most accurate I've seen in a long time.

HORSEPOWER 56
03-23-2011, 10:16 PM
Marcell Dareus- Kevin Williams best case, Michael Myers worst case. I think he'll be another Kevin Williams type of 3 technique. I don't think he'll be dominant at getting to the QB and won't get a lot of sacks, but very solid against the run and relatively disruptive in the passing game.

Von Miller - Faster than he is big or strong, Derrick Thomas best case, Robert Ayers worst. I chose Ayers worst case because he was an utter failure at OLB in the 3-4. Miller looks like an ideal speed rusher and should play well in space, but he's going to get manhandled in the running game because of how tall and lanky he is. His body type reminds me a lot of Boss Bailey.

Patrick Peterson - Antrell Rolle, Michael Jenkins. I just don't see him playing CB for very long because I think he'll struggle to cover smaller, faster WRs (like Lloyd, D Jackson, or Steve Smith). I think he'll be converted to Safety because of his size and deep speed but he'll never be "elite" there because he's not a hitter.

Nick Fairley - Even though a lot of scouts are souring on him of late, I think he has the biggest upside of any DL in this draft. He could easily be a Tommie Harris (in his prime), Ndamukong Suh, or Warren Sapp. A pure penetrator who is a master of shooting gaps and playing in the backfield. I guess he has some bust potential, but no more than everyone's favorite Cam Newton.

Robert Quinn - Some 3-4 team is going to draft him and try to convert him to 3-4 OLB which will be a terrible idea and he'll never start. Vernon Golston 2.0.

Da'Quan Bowers - Mario Williams/Julius Peppers at best (beasty) but could end up a Courtney Brown. He's a power end (LDE) and plays both the run and pass equally well and that makes him special. His knee is a concern, but it's probably no big deal. One year wonder, but the death of his father and friend (Gaines Adams) has seemed to wake him up. Could turn out the best player of the draft.

Blaine Gabbert - Alex Smith. The hype machine and lack of a true #1 QB in this draft has everyone overrating this guy. Mallett will probably end up being the best pro QB when it's all said and done. Gabbert will probably be drafted by a bad team (like Carolina or Buffalo) and fail partially due to the crappiness of the team around him.

Cam Newton - Vince Young/Jamarcus Russell/Ryan Leaf. Of all the players out there this year, he has the biggest bust potential of all. Insanely physically talented, but doesn't seem like the kind of guy who has a ton upstairs and seems a little too arrogant, even for a Heisman winning QB. Doesn't seem like the type of guy who will take media criticism or "coaching" well. Always big man on campus at Auburn and never really had to deal with adversity on the field. Like Gabbert, will probably be drafted by a shit team and will suffer with no help to start with. The difference is, I see him going the way of Jawalrus Russell after he gets paid...

Sinthor
03-24-2011, 01:29 AM

Neither VY or TT are the passer Newton is? Then why didn't he put up numbers as good as them when he was in college? If you're talking how pretty the spiral looks, then maybe...but effectiveness? No way.

rcsodak
03-24-2011, 04:41 AM
Neither VY or TT are the passer Newton is? Then why didn't he put up numbers as good as them when he was in college? If you're talking how pretty the spiral looks, then maybe...but effectiveness? No way.

Note the "- Mayock"?
Thought not.

zbeg
03-24-2011, 05:40 AM
Patrick Peterson - Antrell Rolle, Michael Jenkins. I just don't see him playing CB for very long because I think he'll struggle to cover smaller, faster WRs (like Lloyd, D Jackson, or Steve Smith). I think he'll be converted to Safety because of his size and deep speed but he'll never be "elite" there because he's not a hitter.

I agree with most of your players, but I disagree with your assessment of Peterson. He's one of the fastest corners in the draft this year, and he's the biggest corner by a country mile. He's bigger, faster, and stronger than most of the prospects - I just don't see how most receivers can match up well against a corner with that kind of size and speed.

I'd be unhappy if the Broncos took him only because I don't think we need a corner, but I'd also be fairly certain (as certain as someone can be regarding a draft pick, anyway) that we were getting an elite talent and the least likely to be a bust.

HORSEPOWER 56
03-24-2011, 03:10 PM
I agree with most of your players, but I disagree with your assessment of Peterson. He's one of the fastest corners in the draft this year, and he's the biggest corner by a country mile. He's bigger, faster, and stronger than most of the prospects - I just don't see how most receivers can match up well against a corner with that kind of size and speed.

I'd be unhappy if the Broncos took him only because I don't think we need a corner, but I'd also be fairly certain (as certain as someone can be regarding a draft pick, anyway) that we were getting an elite talent and the least likely to be a bust.

Straight line speed is one thing, change of direction skills, the ability to backpedal while reading the QB and make a play on the ball is something else, as is the ability to run with WRs through their routes.

WRs like Steve Smith, Desean Jackson and Lloyd can cut and change direction in their route without losing speed. It's the same trait that made Marvin Harrison so dangerous. Just because Peterson is the biggest and fastest CB in this year's draft, doesn't make him the best and it doesn't make him the next Primetime, Champ, Asomugha, or Revis. Taylor Mays was the biggest (bigger than Peterson) and fastest (faster than Peterson) DB last year, but he obviously wasn't the best.

People are taking into account Peterson's combo of size/speed and translating that into success, but it's been pointed out by scouts that although he might be the "Safest" pick in the draft, he still isn't great in Zone coverage and is tight in transition.

So he's 6' tall and 218 lbs and runs a fast 40 time. Did he dominate in college? Not really. Sure, he looked great against lesser WRs (non-NFL caliber), but he was incredibly average to below average every time he played vs Green or Jones and didn't look very good at all in his bowl game this year.

IMO, by the looks of him, he looks like he'd be a pretty effective Free Safety who has the recovery speed to play the deep middle and the size to cover TEs or RBs without getting pushed around too much. Frankly, I think he's too big to be an effective CB. Sure he's probably pretty good jamming a WR at the line and then running with them on the "9" route, but when they start running comebacks, slants, crossing routes, can he keep up? Can he change direction quickly and not lose speed? I don't think he can.

underrated29
03-24-2011, 03:39 PM
Peterson- Reminds me of dominque rodgers comrartie-better against the run though. Not ever a Champ, Revis, Nnamdi. As a saftey he reminds me of an Eric berry or ed reed. He is big enough, strong enough, and fast enough to handle TEs in press as a S. and lets not forget he struggles when his back is to the QB. As a S he can read the Qbs eyes and break.

Fairley- Haynesworth 100%- Can get after it when he wants, when he doesnt you are pissed he is on your team.

Dareus- I need to see more film of him, but I think Keith Traylor initially came to mind. However, I would need to watch more to make sure. But I remember that was my initial thought, a long time ago...Collapses pocket, holds up run, and gets a few sacks...EXACTLY WHAT I WANT!!! We have enough speed rushers to get to the QB. I want a damn road gerder that will not be moved and force the RB elsewhere and also be able to keep Phillis Rivers from stepping up into the pocket. He does not need the sacks. Let doom and robert get those. He is what I would call The Pillar Of Might.

Von Miller- At first I thought Brandon Graham. But more and more I have seen Ian Gold. Now that might be extreme but perhaps he will fit in between those two, more on the Graham side. Need to see more of Vonny too.

Cam- VY all the way. Better Passer and not a head case. I think Cam will be fine in this league- VY has a pretty good record, Cams will be better. maybe not great, but pretty good. ABSOLUTE 100% perfect fit in Buffalo. I mean PERFECT....Bufs offense will open up so much with him there. Their WR are better than most think and fast. With CJ spiller opening things up and Cams legs, they will have a significantly improved offense. Which is why I had him to Buf from day 1....we shall see.

Gabbert- not seen enough to say for sure. At the moment I would say Matt Ryan......BUT, BUT- I am not a big Ryan fan. I think he is one of the MOST Overrated QBs in the league. Better than KO, yes, but not by much. I can see gabbert falling in between those two. (remember on my level there is not much difference between them.) Keary Collins maybe-younger Collins.

cuzz4169
03-24-2011, 04:05 PM
Straight line speed is one thing, change of direction skills, the ability to backpedal while reading the QB and make a play on the ball is something else, as is the ability to run with WRs through their routes.

WRs like Steve Smith, Desean Jackson and Lloyd can cut and change direction in their route without losing speed. It's the same trait that made Marvin Harrison so dangerous. Just because Peterson is the biggest and fastest CB in this year's draft, doesn't make him the best and it doesn't make him the next Primetime, Champ, Asomugha, or Revis. Taylor Mays was the biggest (bigger than Peterson) and fastest (faster than Peterson) DB last year, but he obviously wasn't the best.

People are taking into account Peterson's combo of size/speed and translating that into success, but it's been pointed out by scouts that although he might be the "Safest" pick in the draft, he still isn't great in Zone coverage and is tight in transition.

So he's 6' tall and 218 lbs and runs a fast 40 time. Did he dominate in college? Not really. Sure, he looked great against lesser WRs (non-NFL caliber), but he was incredibly average to below average every time he played vs Green or Jones and didn't look very good at all in his bowl game this year.

IMO, by the looks of him, he looks like he'd be a pretty effective Free Safety who has the recovery speed to play the deep middle and the size to cover TEs or RBs without getting pushed around too much. Frankly, I think he's too bug to be an effective CB. Sure he's probably pretty good jamming a WR at the line and then running with them on the "9" route, but when they start running comebacks, slants, crossing routes, can he keep up? Can he change direction quickly and not lose speed? I don't think he can.

First off he played AJ green once...in 2009 and he didn't even cover green the whole game. Green 5 catches 99yards 1 td. only 2 catches where on Peterson & not the TD.

I don't know what you guys watch when you watch certain players, Peterson was a stud in college better than Revis was in college. I said it before I'll say it again there is no such thing as a shut down CB in college. Revis is a great pro but gave up a lot of receiving yards in college. Coaches, schemes and your team mates are so much better in the NFL all of that helps. Peterson is a once every 10 year talent. Look good in the Bowl game from what I watched.

HORSEPOWER 56
03-24-2011, 04:21 PM
First off he played AJ green once...in 2009 and he didn't even cover green the whole game. Green 5 catches 99yards 1 td. only 2 catches where on Peterson & not the TD.

I don't know what you guys watch when you watch certain players, Peterson was a stud in college better than Revis was in college. I said it before I'll say it again there is no such thing as a shut down CB in college. Revis is a great pro but gave up a lot of receiving yards in college. Coaches, schemes and your team mates are so much better in the NFL all of that helps. Peterson is a once every 10 year talent. Look good in the Bowl game from what I watched.

And I just didn't see what you saw. IMO, if Peterson hadn't been a dangerous returner which forced people to look deeper and realize that he's a physical specimen, he'd probably be a mid first rounder just based on his skills as a man-press CB. Some folks are saying he's a "once in a decade talent", but just because they say it doesn't make it true. He's not the next Champ Bailey. He's not the next Deion Sanders. Both of those guys were ridiculously fluid and weren't only the fastest guys on the field, but they were also the most agile and had the best change of direction skills.

If you can find some old tape on Deion or some old tape on Champ, watch it and tell me that Peterson is anywhere near their level. He's just not. No more than Andrew "The Human Hype Machine" Luck really is the "best QB prospect since John Elway". Every year at this time, some draftnik clown calls some player the "best since _____". Rarely is that EVER the case.

zbeg
03-24-2011, 04:26 PM

Sure, straight line speed isn't the end-all-be-all, but his hips look pretty fluid when I watch him. Are his hips Champ Bailey's? No. But when you take into account his size and straight line speed in addition to pretty good change of direction ability, and it all adds up to being an elite corner.

cuzz4169
03-24-2011, 05:09 PM
Pretty tough comparing him to Champ and Deion two of the greatest of all time...Never said he would be the greatest of all time...but he will be a perennial all pro. DTs besides QB is the hardest transition to the NFL. Besides SUH who has been a stud right away at the DT position?

Patrick Peterson, CB, LSU
A lot of people think he might be the best player in this draft, and he might be. He has the return skills of a man 40 pounds smaller than he is. He has the ability to move, to press, to play off. He's a little tight in the hips, but I don't care. He's a great football player. Mike Mayock....LITTLE tight in the hips...

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-combine/09000d5d81eb003e/2011-combine-workout-Patrick-Peterson

Looks pretty good to me....

rcsodak
03-24-2011, 05:18 PM
McCoy didn't do bad last year, and was coming on before getting injured, late.

And did you not compare PP to CWoodson, who some say is better than just a perennial AP.

cuzz4169
03-24-2011, 05:24 PM
McCoy didn't do bad last year, and was coming on before getting injured, late.

And did you not compare PP to CWoodson, who some say is better than just a perennial AP.

No didn't compare him to Woodson...said there arent any shut down CB in college...closest was Woodson. McCoy was ok no where near what you want the #3 pick to do. But I know it takes time...but most of the people on here think if we draft DT's that are defense will be great right away. Doesn't work like that at that position in the NFL. Thats why I'm for taking best available defensive player regardless of position.

SR
03-24-2011, 05:37 PM

I'm still waiting on you to clue us in on what you do. Make a statement like that and you ought to be prepared to back it up. Not saying I doubt you, just curious.

cuzz4169
03-24-2011, 05:54 PM
I'm still waiting on you to clue us in on what you do. Make a statement like that and you ought to be prepared to back it up. Not saying I doubt you, just curious.

Involved with college sports.

UnderArmour
03-24-2011, 06:07 PM
Marcell Dareus - Gerald McCoy, Haloti Ngata.. However, impossible to tell how he would play in a 4-3. He could very well resemble a Sapp type. Uses his arms well, even to block passes.
Patrick Peterson - Shaun Springs, Antrel Rolle, Champ Bailey
Nick Fairley - Albert Haynesworth, Warren Sapp
Cam Newton - Ben Roethlisburger, Tim Tebow, Donavon McNabb (Just because he's Black does not mean you must compare him only to Black QBs. FFS.)
Blaine Gabbert - Who the **** is he? Can't compare him to anyone because I haven't really seen him play. I can't be the only one. Didn't even see any highlights mid season.
Da'Quan Bowers - Mario Williams, Gaines Adams, Alex Brown
Robert Quinn - Julius Peppers, Brian Orakpo, Vernon Gholston(SCARY!!!!)
Jake Locker - Jake Plummer

zbeg
03-24-2011, 07:42 PM

In what capacity? That's pretty vague. For example, I was involved with the Denver Broncos in 1996. How? Well...let's just say they were paying my bills at the time.

I Eat Staples
03-24-2011, 07:46 PM
I agree with Horsepower, Mallet will be the best QB in the draft IMO.

cuzz4169
03-24-2011, 11:09 PM
In what capacity? That's pretty vague. For example, I was involved with the Denver Broncos in 1996. How? Well...let's just say they were paying my bills at the time.

I've said it before on here....I coach college baseball. But im more of a football guy. I coach high school football also. Played arena 2 and semi pro football. My point in saying you don't know what I do is you don't. I don't know you, you could be john Elway for all I know. Just put it this way I have a lot of time to watch film as a fan during the day.

SR
03-26-2011, 07:27 PM

Oh. Okay. I'm involved with airplanes.

Sinthor
03-26-2011, 07:39 PM
Note the "- Mayock"?
Thought not.

Yep, you're right, that didn't register. My bad. :) I still think that's a valid argument to that statement though. Wonder what Mayock was thinking? Then again, this was obviously before he went to Tebow's Pro Day and came away saying he was "blown away." Apparently that Pro Day changed a good number of people's minds and/or at least made them redress their previously very negative thoughts about Tebow.

rcsodak
03-27-2011, 12:56 PM
I've said it before on here....I coach college baseball. But im more of a football guy. I coach high school football also. Played arena 2 and semi pro football. My point in saying you don't know what I do is you don't. I don't know you, you could be john Elway for all I know. Just put it this way I have a lot of time to watch film as a fan during the day.
There is a difference between 'watching film' and watching a DVR'd game. So do you watch film?

Lonestar
03-27-2011, 01:38 PM
Pretty tough comparing him to Champ and Deion two of the greatest of all time...Never said he would be the greatest of all time...but he will be a perennial all pro. DTs besides QB is the hardest transition to the NFL. Besides SUH who has been a stud right away at the DT position?

Patrick Peterson, CB, LSU
A lot of people think he might be the best player in this draft, and he might be. He has the return skills of a man 40 pounds smaller than he is. He has the ability to move, to press, to play off. He's a little tight in the hips, but I don't care. He's a great football player. Mike Mayock....LITTLE tight in the hips...

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-combine/09000d5d81eb003e/2011-combine-workout-Patrick-Peterson

Looks pretty good to me....

Yet lots of folks are willing to give a Number 2 for him when neither of them were better than an 8 IIRC.

I think that is what most are saying.. he maybe good but not worth a #2.