PDA

View Full Version : Concern rising for Da’Quan Bowers

Denver Native (Carol)
03-23-2011, 02:40 PM
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on March 23, 2011, 2:24 PM EDT

Former Clemson defensive end Da’Quan Bowers told NFL teams at the Combine he was “100%” and couldn’t wait for his Pro Day.

And then just before his Pro Day, he postponed his workout and didn’t even show up to the session. Mike Mayock joined Florio on Wednesday’s PFT Live and mentioned Bowers right away when asked who could be sliding in the NFL Draft.

Bowers can answer concerns about his knee at his April 1 workout, but for now there are legitimate concerns about him.

Mayock came up with another notable name that could be falling. For that name, you’ll have to watch the clip below. (Or just figure out whose picture is on the video.) (on link)

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/

ALSO, ON SAME LINK

McShay on Nick Fairley: “He has a chance to be a bust”
Posted by Evan Silva on March 23, 2011, 12:17 PM EDT

Early in the offseason, Auburn defensive tackle Nick Fairley was a near-consensus favorite to be the No. 1 overall pick in the draft. Word has since leaked from Carolina that the Panthers are “not sold” on any of this year’s defensive linemen. NFL Network analysts Warren Sapp and Mike Mayock have gone on record to say they don’t even believe Fairley is this year’s best defensive tackle.

If Fairley isn’t even the best player at his position, it would be illogical for the Panthers to take him first.

ESPN director of college scouting Todd McShay took it a step further in a Wednesday morning conference call with the media. McShay, who previously described himself as “blown away” by Fairley’s March 8 Pro Day, now believes Fairley has the potential to be a colossal flop at the next level.

“The more you watch Fairley on tape, the more worried you get he’ll be a bust,” said McShay, who also questioned Fairley’s work ethic and consistency. “He has a chance to be a bust.”

McShay then recalled the recent history of defensive tackles in the draft. He called the percentage of busts at the position “shockingly high.”

Like so many of this year’s draft-eligibles, Fairley is a polarizing prospect. While Gregg Doyel of CBSSports.com blames Fairley’s alleged fall down draft boards on media creations, McShay cites game film for his opinion of Fairley.

McShay just liked Fairley a lot more earlier this month.

rcsodak
03-23-2011, 02:53 PM
Good thing Car is drafting BGabbert. ; )

Thx Carol.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

SR
03-23-2011, 02:55 PM
Dareus. That is all.

Northman
03-23-2011, 03:02 PM
I was never sold on Bowers anyway. So not much of this is a surprise to me.

LTC Pain
03-23-2011, 03:03 PM
Dareus. That is all.

Seconded

Denver Native (Carol)
03-23-2011, 03:07 PM
In this one, they have the Broncos taking Fairley in 1st round, OLB Bruce Carter & S Quinton Carter in 2nd round

http://profootball.scout.com/2/1052486.html

rcsodak
03-23-2011, 03:07 PM
Mayock (ducks) thinks quinn will be a top 5 pick if he shows the explosiveness tomorrow that he's expecting.

LTC Pain
03-23-2011, 03:10 PM
In this one, they have the Broncos taking Fairley in 1st round, OLB Bruce Carter & S Quinton Carter in 2nd round

If at #2 Dareus and Fairley are still on the board and the Broncos take Fairley I will be in shock. Post-combine comments (other than Mayock) rate Dareus higher than Fairley or Bowers.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
03-23-2011, 03:26 PM
Seconded

Dareus. That is all.

thoided....:D

rcsodak
03-23-2011, 04:04 PM

I definitely like the Carter pick. :salute:

TXBRONC
03-23-2011, 04:09 PM

I saw a mock draft a couple of days ago on NFLN and the guy who drew it up had us taking Dareus.

rcsodak
03-23-2011, 04:10 PM
If at #2 Dareus and Fairley are still on the board and the Broncos take Fairley I will be in shock. Post-combine comments (other than Mayock) rate Dareus higher than Fairley or Bowers.
Well, I hope they take MD, but the joke I keep hearing from scouts on sirius is only the bad drafting teams draft off of combine/pro day results. I tend to agree.
Watch film. Talk to college coach. Interview the player as backup.

TXBRONC
03-23-2011, 04:27 PM
Well, I hope they take MD, but the joke I keep hearing from scouts on sirius is only the bad drafting teams draft off of combine/pro day results. I tend to agree.
Watch film. Talk to college coach. Interview the player as backup.

If you go purely off of the drills that doesn't sound like a disaster waiting to happen but those should still factor into the decision.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-23-2011, 04:31 PM
I definitely like the Carter pick. :salute:

Which Carter? :D

Ziggy
03-23-2011, 04:35 PM
Film is the most important tool in evaluating players. Drills can't simulate how players react in game time situations, how they shed blocks, how quickly they hit the gaps, tackle, etc. etc. Give me the guy that dominates in big games against top competition over the span of his career. Leave the guys that only do it well in shorts to guys like McD.

dogfish
03-23-2011, 04:41 PM

actually, mayock has dareus as the number one overall player on his board. . . .

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...verall-player/

rcsodak
03-23-2011, 04:41 PM
Which Carter? :D
The safety from OU. Think Atwater with speed/hands.

Superchop 7
03-24-2011, 01:41 PM
Which is why I think the Broncos are going with Peterson.

Bowers has really hurt his stock.

BroncoNut
03-24-2011, 01:46 PM
Is Da'quan sick or something?

Superchop 7
03-24-2011, 02:19 PM
"There are legitimate concerns about [Bowers'] knee, and that's going to be addressed at his pro day, which he moved back a couple of times," NFL Network's Mike Mayock told profootballtalk.com Wednesday. "He told a bunch of teams at the [NFL] combine that he was 100 percent healthy and couldn't wait for his pro day. And then right before his pro day, he postponed his workout and didn't even show up.

BroncoNut
03-24-2011, 02:27 PM
"There are legitimate concerns about [Bowers'] knee, and that's going to be addressed at his pro day, which he moved back a couple of times," NFL Network's Mike Mayock told profootballtalk.com Wednesday. "He told a bunch of teams at the [NFL] combine that he was 100 percent healthy and couldn't wait for his pro day. And then right before his pro day, he postponed his workout and didn't even show up.

that's right, his miniscus.

Superchop 7
03-24-2011, 02:28 PM
Stephen Paea
Source: ESPN

A two-time, first-team All-Pac-10 selection, he also was a first-team All-American as selected by The Associated Press, Sports Illustrated and The Sporting News. After setting a bench press record at the NFL combine, he might even end up getting picked in the first round of the NFL draft this spring. Paea, who only took up football when he was 17-years-old, made at least one tackle-for-loss in 12 of the past 18 games. His 14 career sacks and 29.5 tackles for loss -- accumulated over three seasons as a junior college transfer -- rank eighth on the school's all-time list. He's also the school record holder for forced fumbles with nine, including matching a school record with four this season.

Simply, Paea was the best defensive player in the Pac-10 last year as voted on by the coaches and the people who were charged with slowing him down.

(Not bad for a guy that picked up football at age 17.....what an upside)

Magnificent Seven
03-24-2011, 03:36 PM
Marcell Dareus is a safe pick. Bowers has his knee problem... Nick Fairley has a rep as being dirty and it could lead to horrible attitude.

rcsodak
03-24-2011, 03:49 PM
Marcell Dareus is a safe pick. Bowers has his knee problem... Nick Fairley has a rep as being dirty and it could lead to horrible attitude.

Bower's agent is saying rehab is ahead of schedule, with no setbacks, and he'll be ready for his Pro Day on April Fools Day.
thx 56

HORSEPOWER 56
03-24-2011, 04:10 PM
Fairley's agent is saying rehab is ahead of schedule, with no setbacks, and he'll be ready for his Pro Day on April Fools Day.

*Bowers'*

Lonestar
03-24-2011, 08:50 PM
Stephen Paea
Source: ESPN

A two-time, first-team All-Pac-10 selection, he also was a first-team All-American as selected by The Associated Press, Sports Illustrated and The Sporting News. After setting a bench press record at the NFL combine, he might even end up getting picked in the first round of the NFL draft this spring. Paea, who only took up football when he was 17-years-old, made at least one tackle-for-loss in 12 of the past 18 games. His 14 career sacks and 29.5 tackles for loss -- accumulated over three seasons as a junior college transfer -- rank eighth on the school's all-time list. He's also the school record holder for forced fumbles with nine, including matching a school record with four this season.

Simply, Paea was the best defensive player in the Pac-10 last year as voted on by the coaches and the people who were charged with slowing him down.

(Not bad for a guy that picked up football at age 17.....what an upside)

JUst for what it is worth he played in the pac 10 not the SEC.

SO records really mean nothing.

Lonestar
03-24-2011, 08:51 PM
Bower's agent is saying rehab is ahead of schedule, with no setbacks, and he'll be ready for his Pro Day on April Fools Day.
thx 56

Wow RC April fools day is coming up soon what are we gonna do this year?

TXBRONC
03-24-2011, 08:58 PM
Which is why I think the Broncos are going with Peterson.

Bowers has really hurt his stock.

I think if Dareus is available we'll be taking him.

TXBRONC
03-24-2011, 09:07 PM

Agreed Dareus is a safe pick. Maybe not as safe as Peterson although I am far from convinced of that but nevertheless he's safe enough. Fairley having a reputation of being a dirty player doesn't concern me as much as hearing that that he might motivation problems.

Dzone
03-24-2011, 09:09 PM
The Draft magazine I read sure makes Bowers seem like a beast. Throwing tackles aside with one arm and such other heroics .that he lost his mentor, gaines adams and then his father. has become a real student of the game. Good intangibles. Saying he could be a game changing strong side 4-3 end in the michael strahan mold...

TXBRONC
03-24-2011, 09:17 PM
The Draft magazine I read sure makes Bowers seem like a beast. Throwing tackles aside with one arm and such other heroics and that he lost his mentor, gaines adams and then his father and has become a real student of the game. Good intangibles. Saying he could be a game changing strong side 4-3 end in the michael strahan mold...

Fairley and Bowers have a similar problem. They both have just one season where they were dominate for only one season. So with the rumor that Fairley might have motivation problems and Bowers knee issues it makes me leery of both.

WARHORSE
03-25-2011, 12:27 AM
I like Quinn.

Pass rushing ends just dont come along every day that can get as low as he can and turn the corner.

He also uses his hands very well.

My hope is that we trade with Cincy or Arizona, maybe even San Fran.

San Fran is gonna want a QB, big time.

We should get their first and second this year, and their first next year.

On top of that, we should still get a very, very, very good football player.

If Carolina doesnt take a QB.......I think we'll be in the market.