PDA

View Full Version : Larsen new starting FB

broncofaninfla
10-07-2008, 07:44 AM
Is anybody else surprised with this move? I thought Hillis was looking good at FB. I also thought Larsen looked great on special teams, so much so I felt he deserved a chance at MLB.

broncofaninfla
10-07-2008, 07:53 AM
Sorry, I should have added this to the earlier Larsen post.

MOtorboat
10-07-2008, 08:07 AM
You're a week late. Hillis will be back starting this week. He had a family emergency and was cleared to leave the team over the weekend.

anton...
10-07-2008, 08:22 AM
You're a week late. Hillis will be back starting this week. He had a family emergency and was cleared to leave the team over the weekend.

not the case according to shanny...

shanny said in his monday interview that there is competition at the FB position right now and he likes what he sees from larsen...

"good competition"

it kinda makes sense i guess, because larsen is a special teams ace, he would be a solid emergency LB backup and if he can play FB then he would be a great all around player to have on the roster...

those kinds of players are hard to come by...

but i dont see why we would get rid of hillis either, as we could still use him for different package purposes as he is a solid run blocker, great pass blocker and got sweet sweet sugar hands...

omac
10-07-2008, 09:38 AM
Larsen's cool; hits like a truck, plays hard, and will play any position he can to get on the field. No prima dona here. :cheers:

LRtagger
10-07-2008, 10:03 AM
I'm not sure I like this move. With Hillis on the field, it is another potent check-down should Cutler see pressure. I didnt get to see Larsen on Sunday (missed most of the game), but does he have the hands and ball-carrying instincts that Hillis has shown? Stat sheet shows he did not have a reception or a carry, but did Cutler even look his way at all? Was he even on the field on a passing down all game?

With Royal and Scheff out for at least this next game, I think taking Hillis off the field is a mistake. Unless Shanny plans on putting Hillis out there for passing downs or using him as some sort of TE/slot receiver (similar to Dallas Clark), I just don't see how this can improve our offense.

If Stokely will end up as our #2 for the game, I could definitely see Hillis playing in the slot on short passing downs, but otherwise I dont see the point in starting Larsen at FB.

honz
10-07-2008, 10:14 AM
I think Shanny said that Hillis will be back starting next week and that they just wanted to give Larsen a chance at FB...at least that is how I interpreted it. Here are the quotes:

On the fullback position

There is a reason why he (Peyton Hillis) didn't dress (versus Tampa Bay Sunday) -- We gave it to (Spencer) Larsen. Someone had asked me if it was because of the death (in his family) that he didn't dress and I said no, we were going to go with Larsen. We want to give him the opportunity to show us what he can do. Anybody that hits like that on special teams can hit those linebackers. He did a good job. That doesn't mean Peyton is not going to be up next week but we have some competition at that position.

On Spencer Larsen at the fullback position

You never know. You just get that gut feeling. You watch a guy on film and you see how he likes to hit. Even before we drafted him, I called him up and I wanted to see if he was willing to play fullback, if he would look at the fullback position. He is a very smart guy and a guy with that type of intelligence usually can play two positions if he has the right mindset. He was physical enough on defense where you could see that he wasn't afraid to hit anybody. He is sharp and he has adjusted very quickly. He just keeps getting better and better.

turftoad
10-07-2008, 10:15 AM
I'm not sure I like this move. With Hillis on the field, it is another potent check-down should Cutler see pressure. I didnt get to see Larsen on Sunday (missed most of the game), but does he have the hands and ball-carrying instincts that Hillis has shown? Stat sheet shows he did not have a reception or a carry, but did Cutler even look his way at all? Was he even on the field on a passing down all game?

With Royal and Scheff out for at least this next game, I think taking Hillis off the field is a mistake. Unless Shanny plans on putting Hillis out there for passing downs or using him as some sort of TE/slot receiver (similar to Dallas Clark), I just don't see how this can improve our offense.

If Stokely will end up as our #2 for the game, I could definitely see Hillis playing in the slot on short passing downs, but otherwise I dont see the point in starting Larsen at FB.

Hillis back to FB, Jackson in for Royal (if Royal can't play), N. Jax in for Sheff.

I think we'll be OK.

haroldthebarrel
10-07-2008, 10:28 AM
not the case according to shanny...

shanny said in his monday interview that there is competition at the FB position right now and he likes what he sees from larsen...

"good competition"

it kinda makes sense i guess, because larsen is a special teams ace, he would be a solid emergency LB backup and if he can play FB then he would be a great all around player to have on the roster...

those kinds of players are hard to come by...

but i dont see why we would get rid of hillis either, as we could still use him for different package purposes as he is a solid run blocker, great pass blocker and got sweet sweet sugar hands...

Shanahan using the word competition means next to nothing. Its just a standard phrase he uses limitlessly.

Right now Hllis has been doing great. he is perhaps the best seventh rounder playing right now. Larsen can compete all he wants, but he faces a serious uphill battle.

Btw, anybody noticed that all the backs out of Arkansas have done very well.
I would say all of them have outperformed expectations, if you add into the equation that playing in Jokeland is like ten times harder to succeed than most other clubs, since they are seriously dysfunctional.

LRtagger
10-07-2008, 10:33 AM
OK I for some reason got the impression that Hillis was now fighting for his starting job. I guess I misinterpreted the previous posts.

haroldthebarrel
10-07-2008, 10:38 AM
OK I for some reason got the impression that Hillis was now fighting for his starting job. I guess I misinterpreted the previous posts.

personally I think he is fighting for his job just as much as Ryan Harris is fighting for his. There is always competition, but that doesn't mean he is not leading by a mile against his competitors.

broncofaninfla
10-07-2008, 01:42 PM
From the Denver Post:

Spencer steps up.

Converted rookie linebacker Spencer Larsen has supplanted rookie Peyton Hillis as the Broncos' starting fullback. There had been some question whether the move was temporary because Hillis, the No. 1 fullback through four games, missed practice last Friday and Saturday to attend his grandmother's funeral services in Arkansas.

"Someone had asked me if it was because of the death in his family, and I said no, we were giving it to Larsen," Shanahan said. "We want to give him the opportunity to show what he can do. Anybody that hits like that on special teams can hit those linebackers (as the lead blocker)."

GEM
10-07-2008, 01:45 PM
From the Denver Post:

Spencer steps up.

Converted rookie linebacker Spencer Larsen has supplanted rookie Peyton Hillis as the Broncos' starting fullback. There had been some question whether the move was temporary because Hillis, the No. 1 fullback through four games, missed practice last Friday and Saturday to attend his grandmother's funeral services in Arkansas.

"Someone had asked me if it was because of the death in his family, and I said no, we were giving it to Larsen," Shanahan said. "We want to give him the opportunity to show what he can do. Anybody that hits like that on special teams can hit those linebackers (as the lead blocker)."

Anyone who hits like that on special teams can hit those rb's, te's or wr's. :coffee: Give him some reps at the position he was drafted at.

MOtorboat
10-07-2008, 01:46 PM
Anyone who hits like that on special teams can hit those rb's, te's or wr's. :coffee: Give him some reps at the position he was drafted at.

That would be assuming he is in the correct place at the correct time to make said hit.

GEM
10-07-2008, 01:50 PM
That would be assuming he is in the correct place at the correct time to make said hit.

Could he be much worse than Webster who has 11 or 12 seasons under his belt? Webster is a bandaid. You have a guy who can hit like Larsen and that has MLB written all over it. When was the last time we had a hard hitting MLB?

So which one was the mistake pickup? Shanny has said in the past that Hillis is the best fb to come out of college in quite awhile. I dunno...just odd that Hillis goes in the doghouse this quickly after all the praise he was given before. :shrugs:

frauschieze
10-07-2008, 01:50 PM

True.......I really wish I could watch practices sometimes.

LRtagger
10-07-2008, 01:53 PM

That's exactly what I was thinking

"Hey, this Linebacker really likes to hit the ball carrier on special teams...I've got an idea, let's put him at FULLBACK so he can hit people"

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y45/Christopher4myspace/cat_dude_what.jpg

LRtagger
10-07-2008, 01:54 PM

He has to do that as a FB too ;)

Tned
10-07-2008, 01:55 PM
Hillis back to FB, Jackson in for Royal (if Royal can't play), N. Jax in for Sheff.

I think we'll be OK.

With Royal and Scheffler hurt, and likely out for one to two games at least, this might be an opportunity to get Hillis into the passing game.

broncofaninfla
10-07-2008, 01:55 PM
Could he be much worse than Webster who has 11 or 12 seasons under his belt? Webster is a bandaid. You have a guy who can hit like Larsen and that has MLB written all over it. When was the last time we had a hard hitting MLB?

So which one was the mistake pickup? Shanny has said in the past that Hillis is the best fb to come out of college in quite awhile. I dunno...just odd that Hillis goes in the doghouse this quickly after all the praise he was given before. :shrugs:

I totally agree. Hillis was more than getting the job done at FB. I say give Larsen a chance at MLB. The guy has the drive and power to make tackles behind the line instead of chasing people like Webster.

frauschieze
10-07-2008, 01:56 PM

I gotta give Webster credit, he's been playing decently. Maybe having that pressure of always playing for his position has lit a fire under his ass. Even his tackling has been an improvement over last year.

Still curious about what Larsen can do. I LOVE the way he hits people, something our D is desperately missing.

GEM
10-07-2008, 01:59 PM
I totally agree. Hillis was more than getting the job done at FB. I say give Larsen a chance at MLB. The guy has the drive and power to make tackles behind the line instead of chasing people like Webster.

I know our running game needs some help and perhaps they are going to get Hillis some receiving, but if that isn't the case and this is just another of Shanny's little whims, I am disappointed. Shanny said that hit the Larsen laid on the KC guy was one of the hardest he's seen in football...we need plays like that on D. We need someone out there, besides Champ, that scares people. We don't have that except possibly DJ.

MOtorboat
10-07-2008, 02:00 PM
OK...one hit does not make a career....nor a starting player in the NFL...Webster stepped up his play this week, and I would imagine it was because his job was probably being challenged by the coaching staff and Niko...

But let's not start thinking a few hits on special teams means this kid can play MLB...yet.

GEM
10-07-2008, 02:01 PM
I gotta give Webster credit, he's been playing decently. Maybe having that pressure of always playing for his position has lit a fire under his ass. Even his tackling has been an improvement over last year.

Still curious about what Larsen can do. I LOVE the way he hits people, something our D is desperately missing.

Yes he has played better, but no one is afraid of Webster. Are we striving for decent or excellent? We're going youth movement, let's do it all out.

MOtorboat
10-07-2008, 02:01 PM
Yes he has played better, but no one is afraid of Webster. Are we striving for decent or excellent? We're going youth movement, let's do it all out.

No one is afraid of Spencer Larsen, either.

This league is full of big hitters. But only a select few start at MLB...

GEM
10-07-2008, 02:02 PM
OK...one hit does not make a career....nor a starting player in the NFL...Webster stepped up his play this week, and I would imagine it was because his job was probably being challenged by the coaching staff and Niko...

But let's not start thinking a few hits on special teams means this kid can play MLB...yet.

But it can make him a starting FB when we already have one that was sold to us as the best out of college in awhile?

broncofaninfla

Webster always seems to be chasing people instead of hitting them or disrupting the play. Larsen has the pop we need to make people think twice before running full steam ahead. If anything we have some great competition at the FB postion just would like to see Larsen get his chance at MLB.

GEM

All good players start somewhere Mo. ;)

GEM
10-07-2008, 02:03 PM

All good players start somewhere Mo. ;) It's like LR said....the quote from Shanny, hard hitting doesn't make me think of a FB, especially with the sell we have had on Hillis.

Krugan
10-07-2008, 02:12 PM
Just my take.

Im not so overly upset with the backer play, it seems(if last week wasnt a fluke) that things are starting to come together. Pulling strings on the D side right now might not be our best option. Maybe it would just be better to let the same group of guys play under the same D'co for more than 5 weeks.

Arent there alot of complaints that the door is always swinging open for the next Coach to come in?

Added to this, maybe Spence is getting it, maybe the LB'er spot just isnt his bag. The kid has some talent and some fire, it might just be a good idea to let him do something other than bust a wedge.

MOtorboat
10-07-2008, 02:16 PM
All good players start somewhere Mo. ;) It's like LR said....the quote from Shanny, hard hitting doesn't make me think of a FB, especially with the sell we have had on Hillis.

Well, Hillis isn't all world yet, either, and clearly Shanahan doesn't like something he's doing...

But, I'm just not thinking that throwing Spencer Larsen to the dogs is such a good idea...of course, I never said playing him at FB is a good idea, either. ;)

GEM
10-07-2008, 02:27 PM
Well, Hillis isn't all world yet, either, and clearly Shanahan doesn't like something he's doing...

But, I'm just not thinking that throwing Spencer Larsen to the dogs is such a good idea...of course, I never said playing him at FB is a good idea, either. ;)

I'm not set on either. I'm just hoping our draft picks of this year work out better than our DL picks from last year.

MOtorboat
10-07-2008, 02:30 PM
I'm not set on either. I'm just hoping our draft picks of this year work out better than our DL picks from last year.

The jury is still out on them...

I do want to clarify an opinion of mine. Earlier today I said Moss needs to be on the field, and just now I said it would be a bad idea to throw Larsen out there...I think the difference is that we need to learn whether Moss will do what we've seen very small flashes off, or not, whereas we've got other players at MLB (and S, and FB, for that matter) to allow him to get accustomed to the system, and maybe he'll play next year. I'm not saying I'd never throw a player to the wolves, as I believe we should do that to Moss...

Of course, the more games we win and the more chance there is of us winning the division and making a run, we've got to have the best player on the field in order for us to win those games...and as we get deeper into the year, we should be experimenting less...

GEM
10-07-2008, 02:38 PM
The jury is still out on them...

I do want to clarify an opinion of mine. Earlier today I said Moss needs to be on the field, and just now I said it would be a bad idea to throw Larsen out there...I think the difference is that we need to learn whether Moss will do what we've seen very small flashes off, or not, whereas we've got other players at MLB (and S, and FB, for that matter) to allow him to get accustomed to the system, and maybe he'll play next year. I'm not saying I'd never throw a player to the wolves, as I believe we should do that to Moss...

Of course, the more games we win and the more chance there is of us winning the division and making a run, we've got to have the best player on the field in order for us to win those games...and as we get deeper into the year, we should be experimenting less...

WAY out on Moss. All the inactive games this season isn't a good sign. :tsk: One reason I don't like them drafting people that fit a system....with how often systems change in this league...not a good idea.

haroldthebarrel
10-07-2008, 02:59 PM
Man, why do people have to exxagerate everything.

There is one reason Hillis didint start vs the Bucs and that is because he had family issues.

His playing is way beyond any rookie, not to say any seventh rounder.
The man is impressive, and with time we might get our very own Larry Centers should there be enough passes to spread around.
Of this I am absolutely certain. Only injuries can derail this guys career!

MOtorboat
10-07-2008, 03:04 PM
WAY out on Moss. All the inactive games this season isn't a good sign. :tsk: One reason I don't like them drafting people that fit a system....with how often systems change in this league...not a good idea.

I think you mean that the jury has come back, delivered a verdict, and it is guilty...;)

LRtagger
10-07-2008, 03:08 PM
http://media.scout.com/media/image/25/252922.jpg

MOtorboat
10-07-2008, 03:16 PM
Jumpin' on the Vandy bandwagon LRT?

LRtagger
10-07-2008, 03:28 PM
Yea I'm thinking Cutler saw that pic and demanded Hillis be benched

Then he saw this pic and said OK Larsen can start

http://bp3.blogger.com/_FcH0AKMWgEc/Rz4kyPZTavI/AAAAAAAAAFQ/oOop530SjJw/s400/spencer+larsen.jpg

OMorange&blue
10-07-2008, 03:48 PM
Shanahan using the word competition means next to nothing. Its just a standard phrase he uses limitlessly.

Right now Hllis has been doing great. he is perhaps the best seventh rounder playing right now. Larsen can compete all he wants, but he faces a serious uphill battle.

Btw, anybody noticed that all the backs out of Arkansas have done very well.
I would say all of them have outperformed expectations, if you add into the equation that playing in Jokeland is like ten times harder to succeed than most other clubs, since they are seriously dysfunctional.

Obviously...

OMorange&blue
10-07-2008, 03:51 PM
Ahhhh...:allsmiles:

You know the offense is good when your arguing over who is starting at FB.

DenverBronkHoes
10-07-2008, 05:27 PM
should be "Larson: new starting MLB"

gobroncsnv
10-07-2008, 06:27 PM

I've just seen him run himself out of too many plays to say that he's a permanent fixture. I'd rather see Larson get a shot, at least try him, especially since we're going to be a 3-4 d... ;)

DenverBronkHoes
10-07-2008, 08:09 PM

2 of 5 good games..... maybe he needs less credit from u and more wheaties....

G_Money
10-07-2008, 09:03 PM
Man, why do people have to exxagerate everything.

There is one reason Hillis didint start vs the Bucs and that is because he had family issues.

His playing is way beyond any rookie, not to say any seventh rounder.
The man is impressive, and with time we might get our very own Larry Centers should there be enough passes to spread around.
Of this I am absolutely certain. Only injuries can derail this guys career!

I adore Hillis. I've been advocating putting him in the mix for starting RB. But he has missed some important blocks early in the season. He's not there yet. There have been mistakes.

He didn't come from a West Coast system by any means, so that's to be expected, but he has some work to do to be trusted to keep the guys off of Cutler and knock em out of the hole for the RB on a regular basis.

Which makes me wonder how Larsen figured out the protections and blocking techniques necessary to be a good WC fullback while playing...linebacker...

Shanahan is smarter than the rest of us, but there are times I wish he didn't have to prove it. Now that Hillis is back from the emergency, let him do the FB stuff and Larsen concentrate on the killing-people stuff and if we're really lucky the playing-a-bruising-middle-LB stuff.

JMO. :coffee:

~G

slim
10-07-2008, 09:05 PM
should be "Larson: new starting MLB"

Yep, trying to make him into a FB is just stupid.

DenverBronkHoes
10-07-2008, 09:17 PM
Yep, trying to make him into a FB is just stupid.

atleast he can scare guys.... he may be slow.. But if the 2 OLB(DJ,BOSS) have the speed, which they do, we can afford to lose the speed in the middle and gain the toughness, hard hitting, abusive beast that goes by the name SPENCER....

Sorry, i dont care how many times Webster looked good sunday... i dont give a shit how tackles he had... He SUCKS!!! read em and weap Webster lovers.

Krugan
10-08-2008, 08:53 AM
atleast he can scare guys.... he may be slow.. But if the 2 OLB(DJ,BOSS) have the speed, which they do, we can afford to lose the speed in the middle and gain the toughness, hard hitting, abusive beast that goes by the name SPENCER....

Sorry, i dont care how many times Webster looked good sunday... i dont give a shit how tackles he had... He SUCKS!!! read em and weap Webster lovers.

If Larsen were actually at the point where he was head and shoulders above what we are playing at MLB, or even in the same boat, dont you think he would be seeing playing time at that position?

Its more than Webster sucking, and I dont think that can be argued, as far as Larsen not getting playing time at that position.

elsid13
10-08-2008, 04:26 PM

The thing is, it's not just one hit. If you go back to college you see him making that type of impact all the time from the MLB spot. He has carried from his college career the same violence into his NFL career. If wasn't from the personnel set-backs during camp I strongly expect you see making an impact on Defense.

The guy will never be a 3 down backer (Denver has DJ and Boss for that role), be he has the ability to a thumper and blitzer in the middle that help this team.

nevcraw
10-08-2008, 05:43 PM
Is it official thst larsen has supplanted Hillis as the starter (link) or is everyome just speculating based on last week?

nevcraw
10-08-2008, 08:35 PM
DENVER BRONCOS 2008 DEPTH CHART
(as of Oct. 6, 2008)

Broncos Offense
WR 15 B. Marshall 82 D. Jackson 17 G. Martinez
LT 78 R. Clady 76 T. Polumbus
LG 50 B. Hamilton 67 K. Lichtensteiger
C 62 C. Wiegmann 67 K. Lichtensteiger
RG 73 C. Kuper 67 K. Lichtensteiger
RT 74 R. Harris 64 E. Pears
TE 89 D. Graham 88 T. Scheffler 81 N. Jackson 85 C. Mustard
WR 19 E. Royal 14 B. Stokley
QB 6 J. Cutler 11 P. Ramsey
RB 35 S. Young 23 A. Hall 28 M. Pittman 42 R. Torain
FB 22 P. Hillis 28 M. Pittman 46 S. Larsen

ApaOps5
10-08-2008, 08:39 PM
DENVER BRONCOS 2008 DEPTH CHART
(as of Oct. 6, 2008)

Broncos Offense
WR 15 B. Marshall 82 D. Jackson 17 G. Martinez
LT 78 R. Clady 76 T. Polumbus
LG 50 B. Hamilton 67 K. Lichtensteiger
C 62 C. Wiegmann 67 K. Lichtensteiger
RG 73 C. Kuper 67 K. Lichtensteiger
RT 74 R. Harris 64 E. Pears
TE 89 D. Graham 88 T. Scheffler 81 N. Jackson 85 C. Mustard
WR 19 E. Royal 14 B. Stokley
QB 6 J. Cutler 11 P. Ramsey
RB 35 S. Young 23 A. Hall 28 M. Pittman 42 R. Torain
FB 22 P. Hillis 28 M. Pittman 46 S. Larsen

What I find hilarious is how people will quote a Mike Shanahan depth chart during the week. That proves pretty much nothing because it rarely is exactly accurate come game day.

nevcraw
10-08-2008, 09:00 PM
What I find hilarious is how people will quote a Mike Shanahan depth chart during the week. That proves pretty much nothing because it rarely is exactly accurate come game day.

Glad i could amuse..
Not exactly accurate is far cry from being not accurate at all either.. 4 out of the 5 games the offense has followed this depth chart.. just saying..
just looking to see if anyone new the deal at FB or was just speculation based on the last game. thanks for clearing it up..

ApaOps5
10-08-2008, 09:48 PM
Not an attack I just never quote a shanny depth chart. By the way last weeks depth chart had Hillis starting but Larsen actually did. Thats my point. The game day depth chart is the only one that matters.

There is a quote floating around at the mane (too bad its down again) where Shanahan was asked on Monday if the Larsen start was due to Hillis family death. Shanahan said no and Larsen will remain the starter.