PDA

View Full Version : Does collective bargaining work for players?

Denver Native (Carol)
03-23-2011, 01:56 PM
Does collective bargaining work for players? Dolphins’ Incognito latest to show it does: “We kicked their butts in last negotiation so we’re not going to settle”

Offensive lineman Richie Incognito of the Miami Dolphins is the latest player to demonstrate that collective bargaining by the players’ union has worked well for the players, whose compensation has doubled in the past decade.

“We kicked their butts in the last negotiation so we’re not going to settle,” said Incognito, who has played seven seasons with Buffalo, Miami and St. Louis, in an ESPN.com story posted Tuesday. “This is our livelihood and as players we’re united. We’re sticking together 100 percent.”

Former quarterback Kurt Warner, a two-time league MVP, made a similar observation earlier this month.

“We had a great deal. We had one of the best deals, in my opinion, of any of the pro sports when you are talking about all of the things involved,” said Warner, who played with three clubs in his 12-year NFL career. “Players knew that. We understood that. It afforded us lots of luxuries and making a lot of money.”

Both players’ comments echoed those of NFLPA president Kevin Mawae on Sirius XM’s “Mad Dog Radio” on January 27. In that interview, Mawae stated, “I think what really happened is in 2006, we got such a great deal.”

As Commissioner Roger Goodell said yesterday at the conclusion of an NFL meeting in New Orleans, “Litigation is not going to solve this problem. It is clearly going to be solved through labor negotiations. The faster we can get back to mediation, the faster we will get an agreement.”

http://nfllabor.com/2011/03/23/does-collective-bargaining-work-for-players-dolphins%E2%80%99-incognito-latest-to-show-it-does-%E2%80%9Cwe-kicked-their-butts-in-last-negotiation-so-we%E2%80%99re-not-going-to-settle%E2%80%9D/

Denver Native (Carol)
03-23-2011, 01:58 PM
So, the players acknowledge that they got a GREAT deal in 2006 - which, IMO, is that they received EVERYTHING they wanted. But NOW, they are NOT willing to give back some of what they got in their GREAT deal to make things work now :tsk:

SR
03-23-2011, 01:59 PM
I went to high school with Richie Incognito.

Zweems56
03-23-2011, 02:02 PM

Did he fly under the radar, so to speak?

SR
03-23-2011, 02:04 PM
Did he fly under the radar, so to speak?

:laugh:

It's kinda hard to when you're 6'2", 300 lbs. I know what you're saying though. ;)

The Glue Factory
03-23-2011, 02:07 PM
So, the players acknowledge that they got a GREAT deal in 2006 - which, IMO, is that they received EVERYTHING they wanted. But NOW, they are NOT willing to give back some of what they got in their GREAT deal to make things work now :tsk:

They're probably thinking that if they were able to get the a deal of the century last time they can do it again. Looks like the players just aren't that smart. With all those comments by the players they have GOT to be burying their heads in the sand about the current economic climate they're trying to negotiate in. This isn't 2006 anymore you morons!

Seeingred: Was Incognito as stupid in high school as he is now?

SR
03-23-2011, 02:11 PM
Seeingred: Was Incognito as stupid in high school as he is now?

Yes. Sadly.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-23-2011, 02:20 PM
They're probably thinking that if they were able to get the a deal of the century last time they can do it again. Looks like the players just aren't that smart. With all those comments by the players they have GOT to be burying their heads in the sand about the current economic climate they're trying to negotiate in. This isn't 2006 anymore you morons!

EXACTLY - in the REAL world, businesses are closing down, employees are losing their jobs, employees are giving up things, in order to keep their jobs, etc., etc., etc.

The Glue Factory
03-23-2011, 02:25 PM
Yes. Sadly.

Why am I not surprised?

rcsodak
03-23-2011, 04:15 PM
He lived 45miles from me.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

Denver Native (Carol)
03-26-2011, 05:03 PM
It’s too bad Hines Ward is spending his offseason on Dancing With the Stars instead of at the forefront of the labor battle, because he comes across as one of the most sensible players in the NFL when it comes to issues related to the lockout.

At a time when many players are saying that the 18-game season isn’t even an option on the table, Ward sounds willing to listen to the owners’ case for 18 games — as long as the owners are willing to deal with the players’ concerns about injuries by improving health care.

And in a radio interview to promote Dancing With the Stars, Ward said about the lockout what a lot of fans are thinking: It’s absurd that a multibillion-dollar industry that’s doing better than ever can’t figure out a way to make things work between management and labor.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/03/26/hines-ward-hopes-both-sides-realize-the-lockout-is-ridiculous/

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
03-27-2011, 12:50 AM
So, the players are essentially saying they're not willing to negotiate, or atleast it sounds that way.

HORSEPOWER 56
03-27-2011, 09:22 AM
So, the players are essentially saying they're not willing to negotiate, or atleast it sounds that way.

The way I'm interpreting it, and correct me if I'm wrong, it looks like the players are more than wiling to negotiate - as long as they get everything their way. If not, they'll throw a tantrum and leave the negotiating table and let the lawyers figure it out.

What I'm really hoping for is that at first, the court rules in favor of the players and the anti-trust lawsuit which will end the lockout. I want football this year.

Then, I hope the courts rule on the side of the owners and completely bust the players union thereby not allowing it to re-certify after they win their case. Players will then directly deal with the league as individuals and all negotiations concerning salary, benefits, pension, etc will be negotiated with each player individually.

I'm all for the players getting what they deserve, but the way it stands right now, the top 25% of NFL players are making it a great deal for the lower 75% who probably don't deserve to get paid what they do. Of the 60% of the profits the players are currently paid, the vast majority of the players aren't just overpaid, but grossly overpaid.

Just as a tidbit, did you know that Practice Squad Players make $5000 per week just to be on the practice squad? That's more than the average American makes in a month. Just to show up to practice, stand around, and maybe play a handful of snaps. Even if they only receive 17 weeks of pay, that's still $85K per year just to stand around and take a few snaps at practice where there is very little contact, very little risk of injury, and they don't even have to travel with the team. If you actually make the active roster, your paycheck rockets to $450K per year, minimum, no matter how much or little you play... cha-ching!

Put me on the PS any day of the week and 2X on Sunday... speaking of Sundays, those guys don't even have to work on Sunday!