PDA

View Full Version : Fox outlines 2011 Broncos' defensive outlook

arapaho2
03-23-2011, 12:11 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_17676598?source=rss

Could the Broncos improve from No. 32 in 2010 to No. 2 in 2011? Fox has done it before.
In 2001, the Carolina Panthers ranked No. 31, out of 31 teams, in total defense. Fox became their head coach in 2002 and Carolina finished second only to eventual Super Bowl- champion Tampa Bay in total defense.

continued

SR
03-23-2011, 12:12 PM
Are you internet handicapped?

Buff
03-23-2011, 12:15 PM
Still not thrilled about the move back to the 4-3. And I don't necessarily agree with Fox that the 4-3 helps you rush the passer (relative to the 3-4). Sure hope they know wtf they're doing.

Also, Fox says that the 4-3 is the more simple scheme of the two, which I don't see as a positive at the NFL level.

rcsodak
03-23-2011, 12:19 PM
Too bad denver doesn't have a JPeppers in this draft. Only sloppy 2nds.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

SR
03-23-2011, 12:44 PM
Still not thrilled about the move back to the 4-3. And I don't necessarily agree with Fox that the 4-3 helps you rush the passer (relative to the 3-4). Sure hope they know wtf they're doing.

Also, Fox says that the 4-3 is the more simple scheme of the two, which I don't see as a positive at the NFL level.

I'm with you. I like the 3-4 more because it offers a lot of different blitz packages and a lot more exotic blitz packages, but hopefully he's got something in mind to make our 4-3 successful.

topscribe
03-23-2011, 01:36 PM

Fox has always impressed me as knowing what he is doing . . .

-----

dogfish
03-23-2011, 01:39 PM
now we just need some players. . . .

topscribe
03-23-2011, 01:40 PM
now we just need some players. . . .

Which is exactly what Fox was getting at.

-----

dogfish
03-23-2011, 01:56 PM
Which is exactly what Fox was getting at.

-----

oh. . . well cool. . . :D

i obviously didn't read it. . . i'm sick to death of hearing about what needs to happen with our national disaster area of a defense. . . i won't read one more word about it until they man up and show me that they're serious this time by building a real defensive line. . . it's all empty talk until then. . .

shanahan talked all the time about how we needed to get better on defense-- he just never made any legitimate attempt to actually do it. . .

Buff
03-23-2011, 02:00 PM

i obviously didn't read it. . . i'm sick to death of hearing about what needs to happen with our national disaster area of a defense. . . i won't read one more word about it until they man up and show me that they're serious this time by building a real defensive line. . . it's all empty talk until then. . .

shanahan talked all the time about how we needed to get better on defense-- he just never made any legitimate attempt to actually do it. . .

Dude, we resigned K-Vick. What more assurance do you need?

SOCALORADO.
03-23-2011, 02:00 PM
The upside is that this just so happens to be a very deep draft for 4-3 players.
I think DEN will take a no-nonsense approach and grab front 7 talent and even trade Orton for another top 3 round draft pick. No reason to keep him around.
Let Orton go. DEN is rebuilding people. Realize this. Accept it.
TT will be the starter, DEN will have a ton of young talent out there on both sides of the ball, and they will eventually gel. But it takes time. FAs will also be helpful.
Again, DEN is rebuilding. It takes some time.

topscribe
03-23-2011, 02:02 PM

Well, where we have hope is that, this time, we're not hearing it from a
Shanahan or McDaniels. Fox is a legitimately defensive-minded coach . . .

-----

dogfish
03-23-2011, 02:04 PM
Dude, we resigned K-Vick. What more assurance do you need?

:yardog:

topscribe
03-23-2011, 02:05 PM
The upside is that this just so happens to be a very deep draft for 4-3 players.
I think DEN will take a no-nonsense approach and grab front 7 talent and even trade Orton for another top 3 round draft pick. No reason to keep him around.
Let Orton go. DEN is rebuilding people. Realize this. Accept it.
TT will be the starter, DEN will have a ton of young talent out there on both sides of the ball, and they will eventually gel. But it takes time. FAs will also be helpful.
Again, DEN is rebuilding. It takes some time.

Fox doesn't seem as convinced as you are that this is a rebuilding year. It seems
he believes he can win now. I tend to believe him . . .

-----

Ravage!!!
03-23-2011, 02:10 PM
I'm pretty certain Fox knows wtf he's doing.

I'm actually pretty glad we are moving back to the 43. Its easier to build, and is made to rush the passer.

I also feel pretty confident that Fox is going to have a much more 'solid' base to his defensive philosophies and approach to the game. The drama is out. Lets get back to solid football, with solid coaching, and away from the debacle of the last two years.

rcsodak
03-23-2011, 03:32 PM
Fairley is on sirius nfl right now.
I have one word.......

PLEASE, GOD, NO!!!

He can't talk. Can't think on his feet(assuming he's standing up).
Squatted" maybe around 600"
Max bench"maybe sompin like 445"

I'd do more but I don't understand jibberish.

TXBRONC
03-23-2011, 04:02 PM
Fairley is on sirius nfl right now.
I have one word.......

PLEASE, GOD, NO!!!

He can't talk. Can't think on his feet(assuming he's standing up).
Squatted" maybe around 600"
Max bench"maybe sompin like 445"

I'd do more but I don't understand jibberish.

Because he's not articulate we shouldn't draft him? I don't think just because he not well spoken that means he's dumb.

Dareus is the player that I'm hoping Denver will draft if the Panthers don't draft him first. However, I would if he's not there I think Fairley would be solid choice as well.

Bosco
03-23-2011, 08:46 PM

I was absolutely livid about it, but when you get right down to it if Fox can build a legitimate NFL defense I'm not really going to be bothered too much with what formation it's run out of.

Right now, my concern is that Fox is going to handicap this team with a conservative, run heavy offense.

horsepig
03-23-2011, 08:57 PM

Shanny always knew which side was buttered, for him anyway.

I Eat Staples
03-23-2011, 09:07 PM

I'm sort of indifferent as to which one we go with at this point, but my personal opinion is that the 3-4 is better for rushing the passer.

topscribe
03-23-2011, 10:42 PM
I was absolutely livid about it, but when you get right down to it if Fox can build a legitimate NFL defense I'm not really going to be bothered too much with what formation it's run out of.

Right now, my concern is that Fox is going to handicap this team with a conservative, run heavy offense.

If it gets them to the Super Bowl, I don't care if they don't throw another pass . . .

-----

cuzz4169
03-23-2011, 11:09 PM
Doesn't matter 3-4 4-3 you play base defense about 30% of the time in the nfl anyways. Teams are mostly in nickle or dime. I like 4-3 myself. Best defenses in nfl history play 4-3. More athletes on the field in your front 7 Your 2 DEs and if you have a good 3 tech DT. And your 3 lbs. In 3-4 mostly your lbs are your athletes. Someone mentioned you can blitz more in 3-4 or run more exotic blitzes well philly runs a 4-3 and I believe blitzes more than anyone and has a pretty nice exotic blitz package. Id rather not blitz get pressure with front 4.

rcsodak
03-24-2011, 07:38 AM

Think elway has already put that to rest.

arapaho2
03-24-2011, 10:08 AM
Are you internet handicapped?

are you testicular handicapped:coffee:

arapaho2
03-24-2011, 10:12 AM

and yet you fully endorsed the handicapped disaster of pass first, pass often an run on 3rd and 12 offense mcd installed...:coffee:

topscribe
03-24-2011, 10:13 AM
Think elway has already put that to rest.

All Elway has put to rest is that Fox will coach how Fox coaches. Elway has
indicated no intentions of imposing on what Fox does as HC . . .

-----

arapaho2
03-24-2011, 10:43 AM
If it gets them to the Super Bowl, I don't care if they don't throw another pass . . .

-----

im fine with a strong dominating defense and a grind it out offense...if we win

i think to a point you can only go with what you got and it seems fox was handicapped by the GM a whole bunch in carolina

if we give him the chance to build this defense and keep a fairly young offense intact, even with a run first approach...that works into tebows strongpoint, hand the ball off, pass when needed and take off if you have to

its not like the 7th ranked passing offense did much for the record

rcsodak
03-24-2011, 10:51 AM
All Elway has put to rest is that Fox will coach how Fox coaches. Elway has
indicated no intentions of imposing on what Fox does as HC . . .

-----
I disagree, top. Can't remember in which article it was in (carol, help!), but he said something to the effect that when they interviewed fox, they wanted to make sure the offense didnt lag behind the defense, was going to be dynamic, etc. Pretty much took from it that it wouldn't be 3yds n a cloud of dust.

BroncoStud
03-24-2011, 11:10 AM
Fox doesn't seem as convinced as you are that this is a rebuilding year. It seems
he believes he can win now. I tend to believe him . . .

-----

If he can get the defense to 15th in the NFL the Broncos can challenge for the divsion. IMO.