PDA

View Full Version : Something that has been irritating me this year with out O

scott.475
10-06-2008, 08:13 PM
Is it just my imagination, or have our ball carriers been a lot more willing to run out of bounds this year? I know in the past the Broncs have prided themselves on keeping the ball in-bounds, and it seems to me both our receivers and RBs are a lot more willing to run out this year. It should help our control of the game if we would keep it in, I think.

Am I imagining this, or has anyone else noticed it? I just find myself getting frustrated a lot this year about our people running out, but maybe it is just me? It really have become a pet peeve of mine this year.

omac
10-06-2008, 08:29 PM
I hadn't really noticed. If the defenses force them out anyway and there won't be much significant gains for the contact, I don't mind if it will help keep our players injury free. Injuries were a big part of our losses last season.

frauschieze
10-06-2008, 08:42 PM
I noticed and commented on it last game after I saw Royal run out of bounds instead of getting an extra yard. Said that if Rod Smith was still on the team, he'd be talking to each and every one telling this is Denver - you run until you reach the end zone or until you're tackled.

OB
10-06-2008, 08:55 PM
I just wanna find the post that guaranteed our O was gonna score 30+ EVERY game this year

But good point - although lost on me as i have been only able to see 2 games thus far :tsk: :tsk:

AlWilsonizKING
10-06-2008, 09:20 PM
If Rod Smith was still on the team, he'd be talking to each and every one telling this is Denver - you run until you reach the end zone or until you're tackled.

Exactly Frau.

PEACE!!!

honz
10-06-2008, 09:41 PM
I haven't really noticed it, but sometimes it is smart to go out of bounds...especially if you aren't real big like Royal or Selvin.

I saw Selvin try to cut back inside and break a tackle a couple times yesterday, but he just isn't that type of back...he's not big enough to bull over guys.

BroncoAV06
10-06-2008, 09:47 PM
Young put his head down and hit a guy as he was going out yesterday, Pittman will just hit anybody, Royal does what he can to get up field after the catch, and Brandon never wants to not go up field. I don't think it is a huge problem with this team at all. Like honz said there are times where it is just best to not take a hit. Just ask Marcus Thomas and or Sage Rossenfels if that extra yard is worth it, lol.

JONtheBRONCO
10-06-2008, 09:59 PM
Not Michael Pittman.

dogfish
10-06-2008, 11:47 PM
I hadn't really noticed. If the defenses force them out anyway and there won't be much significant gains for the contact, I don't mind if it will help keep our players injury free. Injuries were a big part of our losses last season.

i'm with ya. . . there's a line between being tough and being stupid-- the smart players know the down-and-distance, the score and the clock situation, and when to fight for extra yardage vs. preserving your body by avoiding big shots when there are two or three defenders bearing down and little chance of breaking free. . . .

topscribe
10-07-2008, 12:17 AM
Not Michael Pittman.

Exactly. That is one reason I've become a Pitt fan. This guy loves to hurt . . .
er, hit people. He's old school. Football is a contact sport, and he plays
football.

BMarsh is the same way. Has anybody here seen him actively seek the
sideline? Except maybe when he would want to stop the clock or something?

Boy, if we could just find a couple defenders like that . . . :croc:

-----

frenchfan
10-07-2008, 01:14 AM
Exactly. That is one reason I've become a Pitt fan. This guy loves to hurt . . .
er, hit people. He's old school. Football is a contact sport, and he plays
football.

BMarsh is the same way. Has anybody here seen him actively seek the
sideline? Except maybe when he would want to stop the clock or something?

Boy, if we could just find a couple defenders like that . . . :croc:

-----I do agree Tops...

Though I really love explosive offense, I also love the physical game. Watching a Ravens vs Steelers for example was great. I don't need a shootout to have fun watching a game.

I like what Pitt gives us : a physical runner we needed... :salute:
A RB takes hit, but he also can give some too !

Hey Tops, I didn't see the Bucs game, but it seems that our D heard my prayers and played physical... I don't want to hijack this thread, so could you PM me your analysis about that if you have some time? TIA... :beer:

Back to the topic, I don't mind when it's Royal. It annoys me a bit more when it's about Selvin. As a RB, you have to gain the extra yards. Of course, I like it when players can do it... Brandon is big enough to take hits like Eddy Mac or Rod did... I don't think Royal can play like that. But well... just my 2 cents.

omac
10-07-2008, 02:35 AM
Scheffler doesn't avoid contact; he always put his body on the line and goes for extra yards. He also gets injured a lot.

Last season, Selvin Young would almost always try to initiate the contact, and he was injured last season too.

I'd rather have the guys who have the bodies to withstand the contact go for the contact; those who don't, I'd rather see them going out of bounds or slipping under the tackles (like Aldridge was doing in preseason).

If we had Ronnie Brown as our RB, then by all means, go for the contact. But since we have Selvin and Andre, then I'd rather have them be selective on when to take on the punishing blow. I'd rather our offense stay healthy for the majority of the season.

In our offense, only Pittman and BMarsh (and maybe Hillis and Larsen when he plays offense) are built to punish opposing teams. Scheffler is too, but since he doesn't have breakaway speed, there are usually a ton of people attacking him head on. If Stokley and Royal played like BMarsh, they'd be injured a lot.

topscribe
10-07-2008, 02:35 AM
I do agree Tops...

Though I really love explosive offense, I also love the physical game. Watching a Ravens vs Steelers for example was great. I don't need a shootout to have fun watching a game.

I like what Pitt gives us : a physical runner we needed... :salute:
A RB takes hit, but he also can give some too !

Hey Tops, I didn't see the Bucs game, but it seems that our D heard my prayers and played physical... I don't want to hijack this thread, so could you PM me your analysis about that if you have some time? TIA... :beer:

Back to the topic, I don't mind when it's Royal. It annoys me a bit more when it's about Selvin. As a RB, you have to gain the extra yards. Of course, I like it when players can do it... Brandon is big enough to take hits like Eddy Mac or Rod did... I don't think Royal can play like that. But well... just my 2 cents.

I would love to, Frenchie, but I was fighting, trying to get reception during
the first half, and I received a visit from my daughter during the fourth
quarter. So I got to see maybe 50% of the game. So I really wouldn't be a
good source. Sorry. :smile:

I did get to see some Pittman hits, though. :D

-----

frenchfan
10-08-2008, 12:57 AM
I would love to, Frenchie, but I was fighting, trying to get reception during
the first half, and I received a visit from my daughter during the fourth
quarter. So I got to see maybe 50% of the game. So I really wouldn't be a
good source. Sorry. :smile:

I did get to see some Pittman hits, though. :D

-----Damn... What happened with your TV???? :tsk:
Anyway, You've seen more than I could... I only have MNF game... I think I could go on the Internet to see some games, but I don't really like watching on my computer and I think I'm too lazy (and don't have enough time to "surf" at home). But well, I think I will think about it...

Yeah, I didn't understand why people didn't like Pittman here... I thought he was a solid physical RB... Of course, I would be glad to see Torain, but I like what Pitt is doing with us... And I like his ethics : he is a team player (he said he would do anything coaches wanted him to do)... I don't think he can carry all the load, but taking 10 to 15 snaps a game is not bad... And I like the short yardage situation more with him ! :D

Humm... well... I stop the hijack now :D

Den21vsBal19
10-08-2008, 01:39 AM
Damn... What happened with your TV???? :tsk:
Anyway, You've seen more than I could... I only have MNF game... I think I could go on the Internet to see some games, but I don't really like watching on my computer and I think I'm too lazy (and don't have enough time to "surf" at home). But well, I think I will think about it...

Yeah, I didn't understand why people didn't like Pittman here... I thought he was a solid physical RB... Of course, I would be glad to see Torain, but I like what Pitt is doing with us... And I like his ethics : he is a team player (he said he would do anything coaches wanted him to do)... I don't think he can carry all the load, but taking 10 to 15 snaps a game is not bad... And I like the short yardage situation more with him ! :D

Humm... well... I stop the hijack now :D
Mon ami, if you're on, I'll let you know where to find the games ;)

LoyalSoldier
10-08-2008, 03:13 AM
Marshall is always fighting for more yards. How many times do we see him spinning and breaking tackles like a locomotive?

omac
10-08-2008, 04:31 AM
I rewatched the Broncos x Bucs game and our runners weren't stepping outside at all. The defense was stretching them to the sidelines, but before reaching the sidelines, they'd make a contact surge to try to get more yardage and get pushed out of bounds. Even on plays that weren't stretching outside, they did not avoid the contact at all.

TXBRONC
10-08-2008, 08:33 AM
i'm with ya. . . there's a line between being tough and being stupid-- the smart players know the down-and-distance, the score and the clock situation, and when to fight for extra yardage vs. preserving your body by avoiding big shots when there are two or three defenders bearing down and little chance of breaking free. . . .

That and risking getting the ball stripped away.

topscribe
10-08-2008, 12:11 PM

The worst in wear-and-tear and injuries comes from taking shots, rather than
delivering them. You might have noticed that Pittman, for instance, delivers
a lot of shots, such as when he ran over a corner and a safety in one of his
sterling runs. When you have a RB with a smash-mouth mentality, it can
create even more opportunities because defenders tend to tackle with less
collision.

I remember watching HOFer Jim Taylor of the GB Packers. He would be
heading for the sideline, and just before he got there, he would veer back
into the defenders and smash them as hard as he could. Loved that guy.

Football is a contact sport. We need some guys to want to play football,
if you get my drift.

Pittman is one of those guys.

-----

dogfish
10-08-2008, 01:04 PM
The worst in wear-and-tear and injuries comes from taking shots, rather than
delivering them. You might have noticed that Pittman, for instance, delivers
a lot of shots, such as when he ran over a corner and a safety in one of his
sterling runs. When you have a RB with a smash-mouth mentality, it can
create even more opportunities because defenders tend to tackle with less
collision.

I remember watching HOFer Jim Taylor of the GB Packers. He would be
heading for the sideline, and just before he got there, he would veer back
into the defenders and smash them as hard as he could. Loved that guy.

Football is a contact sport. We need some guys to want to play football,
if you get my drift.

Pittman is one of those guys.

-----

okay, so which of our guys are avoiding contact?

:noidea:

brandon marshall most certainly isn't! i haven't seen royal avoid contact, not selvin young. . . or pittman. . . . and i barely remember andre hall going out of bounds at all. . . . and i sure don't want stokley fighting for extra yards unless it's third down and he's behind the sticks-- dude is fragile, and we need him. . . .

topscribe
10-08-2008, 01:22 PM
okay, so which of our guys are avoiding contact?

:noidea:

brandon marshall most certainly isn't! i haven't seen royal avoid contact, not selvin young. . . or pittman. . . . and i barely remember andre hall going out of bounds at all. . . . and i sure don't want stokley fighting for extra yards unless it's third down and he's behind the sticks-- dude is fragile, and we need him. . . .

Neither Stokes nor Fast Eddie should play that way, I agree. You don't
send a tennis ball up against bowling pins.

I didn't mean that the Broncos don't have that kind of player, just because
I said they need them. I was just focusing on Pittman. But one of the
reasons they have done so well on offense is that they don't get intimidated,
right? Shoot, even our quarterback is blocking and running over CBs.

We have needed more hitters on defense, for sure, but that is for another
thread, of course . . . and they did show more of that against Tampa,
anyway.

-----

dogfish
10-08-2008, 01:30 PM
i have to admit, it makes me kinda nervous, but you can't help liking a QB that isn't afraid to take on a linebacker. . . . :D

topscribe
10-08-2008, 01:34 PM
i have to admit, it makes me kinda nervous, but you can't help liking a QB that isn't afraid to take on a linebacker. . . . :D

Cutler said in his presser today that he's going to do less of that. I'm not sure
I believe him, though. He showed all through college that he likes contact.
But we probably have less to worry about with him than we might be with
another QB because he's big as a LB, and he is ripped, and he's used to it, as
I implied.

Still, he is The Franchise now, so I hope he means it.

-----

smith49
10-08-2008, 06:34 PM
from what i have seen royal is the only one that has a tendancy to go out. i cant blame however, most of the time he is about to get blown up if he does not. seivin has gone out a couple of times, but i think that was due mostly to the stretch runs that kept stretching. i love marshall's ability and desire to get more yards after the catch, but if he does not learn how to tuck that damn ball away i will start wishing for him to just go down. anyhow, i don't see it as too big of a problem.