PDA

View Full Version : Madden 2012 Cover

BroncoWave
03-21-2011, 04:37 PM
I'm posting this in Broncos Talk because it is somewhat Broncos related. This year Madden is basing their cover-athlete on a bracket-style fan vote with one player from each team in the bracket. The Broncos representative is Tim Tebow. You can vote here:

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/feature/madden2012cover

rcsodak
03-21-2011, 05:05 PM
:laugh: who else? :lol:
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

underrated29
03-21-2011, 05:07 PM
Dont vote TT...The curse. I'm serious. Everyone blows from that curse. let phillip Rivers get on the cover.

Buff
03-21-2011, 05:16 PM
Has Tebow ever lost a fan vote in anything ever?

Northman
03-21-2011, 05:22 PM
The Tebowites are just too strong. They will vote for TT even if it means the curse. I however, hope that AP gets it.

GEM
03-21-2011, 05:44 PM
:laugh: who else? :lol:

That's what happens when your team is defunct of talent and they have the top selling jersey in the league.

In other words....who else should be? Orton on the cover? :lol: :lol: :lol: ohhhhh my sides hurt. :lol: :lol: :lol:

zbeg
03-21-2011, 05:45 PM
Dont vote TT...The curse. I'm serious. Everyone blows from that curse. let phillip Rivers get on the cover.

I consulted my tea leaves and my astrologist, and the crystals tell me that Tim Tebow's sign is rising, so because of the power from his aura and my Raelian mind harness, they cancel the curse out.

Pretty foolproof methods say he'll be fine.

BroncoWave
03-21-2011, 05:54 PM
That's what happens when your team is defunct of talent and they have the top selling jersey in the league.

In other words....who else should be? Orton on the cover? :lol: :lol: :lol: ohhhhh my sides hurt. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Champ is the only other guy on the team I can see being worthy of being on the cover but given how much Tebow moves the needle he was the obvious choice to represent the Broncos.

underrated29
03-21-2011, 06:04 PM
I consulted my tea leaves and my astrologist, and the crystals tell me that Tim Tebow's sign is rising, so because of the power from his aura and my Raelian mind harness, they cancel the curse out.

Pretty foolproof methods say he'll be fine.

oh, well in that case.......

Chris90210
03-21-2011, 06:17 PM

let rivers have the curse:salute:

however i still would feel weird voting for a charger player

topscribe
03-21-2011, 06:17 PM
The Tebowites are just too strong. They will vote for TT even if it means the curse. I however, hope that AP gets it.

You must be right. How else would it go to a second-string QB with three games under his belt?

-----

Dean
03-21-2011, 06:35 PM
Exactly what has Tebow accomplished in the NFL so far?
:confused:

topscribe
03-21-2011, 06:37 PM

Bought Coach Fox a meal, played golf with VIPs, and become a candidate for the 2012 Madden cover . . . :D

-----

BroncoJoe
03-21-2011, 06:49 PM

Exactly what did Elway accomplish in his first year?

Give it a rest.

KCL
03-21-2011, 06:51 PM
It should probably be JC on the cover but I really don't care.

Bullgator
03-21-2011, 06:56 PM
Its funny how TTs critics always point to the fact that he hasnt accomplished much but yet refuse to give him a CHANCE to do so.

its not like hes been in the league for like 7 years(like some hack we know) but hasnt done shit yet either.

I Eat Staples
03-21-2011, 07:12 PM
Tim Tebow on the Madden cover would be a joke. It would be flat out embarrassing to the NFL and Broncos fans. I mean come on...

Obviously no Bronco should even sniff the cover, but if we need a representative it should be Champ. Or hell, even Lloyd after last year.

zbeg
03-21-2011, 07:14 PM
Its funny how TTs critics always point to the fact that he hasnt accomplished much but yet refuse to give him a CHANCE to do so.

its not like hes been in the league for like 7 years(like some hack we know) but hasnt done shit yet either.

Not saying he shouldn't have a chance, but putting someone on the freaking cover of Madden when they haven't done anything is more than a little silly. That's reserved for people who have already proven themselves, which TT has not yet done.

Not saying he won't, or that he shouldn't be allowed to, but let's wait until he's actually cashed in on those expectations before we reward him as if he's already met them.

I Eat Staples
03-21-2011, 07:26 PM
Guys, let's vote for Peyton Hillis!

topscribe
03-21-2011, 07:27 PM

Give it a rest.

He is referring to Tebow's candidacy for the 2012 Madden cover.

Was Elway on the Madden cover in his first year?

I believe the quote below pretty well summarizes what Dean was getting at:

Not saying he shouldn't have a chance, but putting someone on the freaking cover of Madden when they haven't done anything is more than a little silly. That's reserved for people who have already proven themselves, which TT has not yet done.

Not saying he won't, or that he shouldn't be allowed to, but let's wait until he's actually cashed in on those expectations before we reward him as if he's already met them.

-----

I Eat Staples
03-21-2011, 07:29 PM
And Lol at Seattle's "The 12th man."

topscribe
03-21-2011, 07:29 PM
Tim Tebow on the Madden cover would be a joke. It would be flat out embarrassing to the NFL and Broncos fans. I mean come on...

Obviously no Bronco should even sniff the cover, but if we need a representative it should be Champ. Or hell, even Lloyd after last year.

I think you hit the nail on the head.

The only deserving Broncos would be Champ and Lloyd . . .

-----

nevcraw
03-21-2011, 07:50 PM

Priorities people.. priorities..
it's a freaking video game.. hardly an embarrassent to anyone except for those who find video games any else other than entertainment..

Dean
03-21-2011, 09:22 PM

Give it a rest.

Where did I say or imply that any first year player should be so honored? Is it not the established and best players in the league who share the cover? Tebow may one day deserve to be there but IMO it is ludicrous at this point in time.

Oh, by the way, give it a rest.:coffee:

I Eat Staples
03-21-2011, 09:31 PM
Priorities people.. priorities..
it's a freaking video game.. hardly an embarrassent to anyone except for those who find video games any else other than entertainment..

Trust me, everyone who isn't a Gator or Bronco fan would laugh their ass off if Tebow made the cover.

BroncoWave
03-21-2011, 09:54 PM
For people saying it should be Champ or Lloyd instead of Tebow, it's called marketability. Madden would make way more money off of Tebow than any other Bronco. It would have been stupid for them to have picked any other Bronco.

rcsodak
03-21-2011, 10:04 PM

How about a PROVEN PRO-BOWLER?

Champ ring a bell?;)

rcsodak
03-21-2011, 10:05 PM
Champ is the only other guy on the team I can see being worthy of being on the cover but given how much Tebow moves the needle he was the obvious choice to represent the Broncos.
Sure will be embarrassing if he's on the bench, or traded, then, won't it. :laugh:

nevcraw
03-21-2011, 10:28 PM
Trust me, everyone who isn't a Gator or Bronco fan would laugh their ass off if Tebow made the cover.

let them laugh about who's on a video game cover -- hardly worth fretting over and hardly a respect thing or worth your embarrassment..
EA sports just wants to sell some mother******* games..

TXBRONC
03-22-2011, 08:29 PM

Oh oh I think Orton just sprained both ankles while tripping over his dog with a bottle of Jack in his hand.

bcbronc
03-23-2011, 12:56 AM
For people saying it should be Champ or Lloyd instead of Tebow, it's called marketability. Madden would make way more money off of Tebow than any other Bronco. It would have been stupid for them to have picked any other Bronco.

you really think who is on the cover has any impact on sales?

sneakers
03-23-2011, 02:11 AM
You must be right. How else would it go to a second-string QB with three games under his belt?

-----

Well the seahawks dont even have a player nominated... :shocked:

sneakers
03-23-2011, 02:12 AM

I haven't bought Madden for 6 years now (after it started becoming crap), and if they put John Elway on the cover, maybe....

zbeg
03-23-2011, 02:42 AM

If it didn't, EA Sports wouldn't pay to have someone on the cover; they'd just continue to put John Madden on it, like they used to.

Timmy!
03-23-2011, 03:41 AM
Oh oh I think Orton just sprained both ankles while tripping over his dog with a bottle of Jack in his hand.

I think you're confusing Orton with Griese. :D

BroncoWave
03-23-2011, 08:06 AM

Are you kidding me? Do you really think it doesn't? I know in New Orleans last year people went apeshit over Drew Brees on the cover and bought it like crazy. Now 90-95% of your customers who buy it every year are going to buy it regardless of who is on the cover but those 5-10% who will buy it because of who's on the cover will easily pocket them some extra money. As someone else said, if which player was on the cover didn't drive some of the sales, they'd have had no reason to have ever taken Madden himself off the cover.

rcsodak
03-23-2011, 09:35 AM
you really think who is on the cover has any impact on sales?well, tthe gatorbaters would brag about it for a yr if TT wins.

rcsodak
03-23-2011, 09:42 AM
Are you kidding me? Do you really think it doesn't? I know in New Orleans last year people went apeshit over Drew Brees on the cover and bought it like crazy. Now 90-95% of your customers who buy it every year are going to buy it regardless of who is on the cover but those 5-10% who will buy it because of who's on the cover will easily pocket them some extra money. As someone else said, if which player was on the cover didn't drive some of the sales, they'd have had no reason to have ever taken Madden himself off the cover.
So does that mean if rapesberger would be on it, sales would go down?
Imo, its just a marketing ploy to garner some more publicity. Sales will be what they are, regardless.

Ravage!!!
03-23-2011, 10:21 AM

Give it a rest.

Nothing, but he wasn't getting the accolades for doing nothing.

At least Elway had the highest grade of any player to come out of college. Tebow didn't even have the highest grade of his class.

just sayin'

Ravage!!!
03-23-2011, 10:24 AM
Its a marketing ploy to make sales. They don't pay big dollars to a persona if they haven't proved that it makes a difference. They would just have some graphic on the cover, or a general "player" image from the game. Of course the cover player makes a difference.

weazel
03-23-2011, 10:31 AM
should be Champ... you know, the guy who has actually played more than a couple games in his career.

topscribe
03-23-2011, 11:42 AM

Didn't take long for someone to bring Orton back into the picture - again - did it? :nod:

-----

bcbronc
03-23-2011, 11:52 AM

So if there's 5 to 10 per cent that bought it only because Brees was on it, presumably the fan base of whoever ends up on the cover would make up that 5 to 10 per cent regardless. Ergo, no difference in sales.

Like rc said, the benefit to EA is the BUZZ about who ends up on the coveran not who actually ends up on it.

BroncoWave
03-23-2011, 02:22 PM
So does that mean if rapesberger would be on it, sales would go down?
Imo, its just a marketing ploy to garner some more publicity. Sales will be what they are, regardless.

I don't think you know how marketing and publicity work. They wouldn't undergo the marketing and publicity measures of putting an athlete on the cover if it didn't improve sales.

BroncoWave
03-23-2011, 02:24 PM
So if there's 5 to 10 per cent that bought it only because Brees was on it, presumably the fan base of whoever ends up on the cover would make up that 5 to 10 per cent regardless. Ergo, no difference in sales.

Like rc said, the benefit to EA is the BUZZ about who ends up on the coveran not who actually ends up on it.

I personally talked to quite a few people in New Orleans who bought the game because Brees was on the cover and wouldn't have bought it otherwise. So yes, who is on the cover does make some sort of difference. If not, they wouldn't waste the money paying the players to be on the cover.

Ravage!!!
03-23-2011, 04:08 PM

the "buzz" is what creates sales. Its branding their product.

I know I've personally paid more attention to a game, magazine, book, webpage, because of who/what is on the cover. Its what draws your eye. Its silly to even suggest that EA is wasting money on marketing for something that hasn't proved to make a difference, especially over the spanned period of time.

Tebow will win this contest and be on the cover, purely because of the sales increase that would be generated. There will be people like Bullgator, that don't really know the NFL, but will buy Madden purely because of the #15 on the box.

rcsodak
03-23-2011, 04:44 PM
I don't think you know how marketing and publicity work. They wouldn't undergo the marketing and publicity measures of putting an athlete on the cover if it didn't improve sales.
:laugh:
Ok, btb.....whatever you say.

:lol:

rcsodak
03-23-2011, 04:56 PM

I know I've personally paid more attention to a game, magazine, book, webpage, because of who/what is on the cover. Its what draws your eye. Its silly to even suggest that EA is wasting money on marketing for something that hasn't proved to make a difference, especially over the spanned period of time.

Tebow will win this contest and be on the cover, purely because of the sales increase that would be generated. There will be people like Bullgator, that don't really know the NFL, but will buy Madden purely because of the #15 on the box.

Sales will go up regardless of who's on the cover. Just like the F150s sales will increase. There will be improvements made to satisafy more people, thus increasing the share (shared interest).
There will also be more people being added from bring introduced to the game (new drivers). As for TT, you're prolly right. But look at how many despise him, too.
If it mattered so much as to who it is, then you could also say that if a Raven gets it, then Steeler fans would avoid it and visa versa, thus negating some of the homer purchases. Likewise, I would never buy a GM pickup.

BroncoWave
03-23-2011, 05:34 PM
:laugh:
Ok, btb.....whatever you say.

:lol:

Expected response from someone who doesn't know what he's talking about!

Day1BroncoFan
03-23-2011, 05:58 PM
This just goes to show the only thing they care about is how many games they sell. They don't care who should be or deserves to be on the cover just how many potential sales they'll make. Their only interest is how much they can make.

Buff
03-23-2011, 05:59 PM
This just goes to show the only thing they care about is how many games they sell. They don't care who should be or deserves to be on the cover just how many potential sales they'll make. Their only interest is how much they can make.

Duh?

bcbronc
03-23-2011, 06:43 PM

Never said it didn't help sales putting A player on the coverm but what player ends up isn't going to make much--if any--difference. Hands up everyone that wasn't going to buy Madden one year but ended up doing it because of the coverm $

Again, its the publicity around the selection/announcing who is on the cover, NOT actually who is on the cover that made the difference.

Brees might be the one exception because of the NO football history, Katrina etc. I could see a few peeps from that area wanting a Brees cover just for the cover. But it would be a pretty small drop in the Gulf though. Other than thatn were people buying Madden because Fitz and Troy were on it? Not likely, but the buzz around it probably helped.

NightTerror218
03-23-2011, 06:45 PM

Look at the players who have been on the cover in the past years....they never returned to the season prior (played like crap) or were injured.

rcsodak
03-23-2011, 06:48 PM
Expected response from someone who doesn't know what he's talking about!Continue going down this path and see where you find yourself. :coffee:
Talk about somebody that never brings anything to discussions. :rolleyes:

BroncoWave
03-23-2011, 07:02 PM

Like Buff said... duh? That's how business works.

Day1BroncoFan
03-23-2011, 07:22 PM
Like Buff said... duh? That's how business works.

Smartest thing I've seen either of you post. :listen:

Dzone
03-23-2011, 07:36 PM
what has Tebow done? Does anyone remember how bleak and depressing things were before he started those 3 games? He brought hope and enthusiasm back to DENVER. Too bad everyone has forgotten. Even Champ said he would like to play with Tebow...Of course, Elway has helped to dampen that enthusiasm...;)
Does he deserve the cover of Madden? I dont know about that, but who cares?
WHO is John Galt?

BroncoWave
03-23-2011, 07:42 PM
If people like Ray Lewis and Michael Vick deserve to be on the cover of Madden then so does Tim Tebow.

rcsodak
03-23-2011, 07:44 PM
If people like Ray Lewis and Michael Vick deserve to be on the cover of Madden then so does Tim Tebow.
I don't remember TT ever being arrested,indicted.

BroncoWave
03-23-2011, 07:55 PM
I don't remember TT ever being arrested,indicted.

That's my point. If people who have been arrested and indicted like Vick and Lewis deserve to be on the cover, then so does someone like Tebow who actually represents everything right about sports.

KCL
03-23-2011, 08:14 PM

I don't play Madden and although it doesn't matter to me who is on it..I think
Jamal Charles would be a good one to be picked to be on the cover.

I Eat Staples
03-23-2011, 08:54 PM
let them laugh about who's on a video game cover -- hardly worth fretting over and hardly a respect thing or worth your embarrassment..
EA sports just wants to sell some mother******* games..

I'm not losing sleep over it or anything, I'm just saying.

This has already been discussed and I agree with BTB on this one, but I'd like to add that sadly the product itself doesn't even have much impact on sales. EA Sports could put a pile of dogshit in a case and call it Madden and it would still sell.

Sadly I'm in the guilty crew of buying it every year even though it sucks now. :tsk:

Dzone
03-23-2011, 08:55 PM
The Tebow haters would be thrilled with a MURDERER on the cover:lol:

FanInAZ
03-24-2011, 07:13 AM
:confused: This game is supposed to be designed in a way that accurately represents the strengths and weakness of every player on every team :confused: So the Broncos team on this year's additions should have the strengths and weakness of a 4-12 team :confused:

I think I'll pass on this year's addition and wait for next year. While were on the subject :D Does anyone know how to get a copy of Madden 97 & 98 that will work on Windows 7 :D

zbeg
03-24-2011, 04:39 PM

I don't follow this logic. First of all, when Vick was put on the cover of Madden, it was long before the dogfighting thing ever happened. They didn't retroactively put him on the cover when Vick went to prison.

Second, EA tends to put players who have actually done something on the cover of their game. Even if one of them was tried and acquitted for murder. Tebow has not done anything except start three games in the NFL.

"Being a nice person" was never the reason why these guys were on the cover in the first place - so why would it stand to reason that TT should get a shot because he is a nice person?

Now if he does something on the field, sure. But right now putting a guy who has done essentially zero in the NFL and propping him up as a guy who has accomplished awesome things is more than a little ridiculous.

rcsodak
03-24-2011, 05:20 PM
I don't follow this logic. First of all, when Vick was put on the cover of Madden, it was long before the dogfighting thing ever happened. They didn't retroactively put him on the cover when Vick went to prison.

Second, EA tends to put players who have actually done something on the cover of their game. Even if one of them was tried and acquitted for murder. Tebow has not done anything except start three games in the NFL.

"Being a nice person" was never the reason why these guys were on the cover in the first place - so why would it stand to reason that TT should get a shot because he is a nice person?

Now if he does something on the field, sure. But right now putting a guy who has done essentially zero in the NFL and propping him up as a guy who has accomplished awesome things is more than a little ridiculous.
I believe its called TebowMania.....

......CATCH-IT! Lol

BroncoWave
03-24-2011, 05:33 PM
I believe its called TebowMania.....

......CATCH-IT! Lol

It's called making money. Tebow would probably be the most profitable athlete in the NFL to have on the cover this year, like it or not.

rcsodak
03-24-2011, 06:02 PM
It's called making money. Tebow would probably be the most profitable athlete in the NFL to have on the cover this year, like it or not.
NOTHING about TebowMania surprises me.
Just gotta wonder how long it lasts.

zbeg
03-24-2011, 06:31 PM
NOTHING about TebowMania surprises me.
Just gotta wonder how long it lasts.

At some point, he's going to have to show what he can do. If he is successful, then he'll be this generation's Brett Favre (oy vey). If not, then he'll eventually be forgotten and every now and again people will say, "Remember Tim Tebow?" and have a chuckle the same way we remember Brian Bosworth.

Ravage!!!
03-25-2011, 04:21 PM

Uhmmm..no kidding? Thats the business they are in. Why SHOULD they care about who's on the cover, when their ONLY interest is to sell games??

Ravage!!!
03-25-2011, 04:25 PM
Ray Lewis was never tried for murder. They couldn't even come up with enough evidence, to attempt to try him for withholding evidence.

Goes to show you the power of the accusations. They become truth in the public's mind.

zbeg
03-25-2011, 04:43 PM
Ray Lewis was never tried for murder. They couldn't even come up with enough evidence, to attempt to try him for withholding evidence.

Goes to show you the power of the accusations. They become truth in the public's mind.

Sorry, he was arrested and charged for murder. That doesn't really change the point that's being made.

Ravage!!!
03-25-2011, 04:48 PM
Sorry, he was arrested and charged for murder. That doesn't really change the point that's being made.

Depends on your perception. Anyone can be arrested and charged. The point being, they immediately dropped the 'charges' to withholding evidence, and couldn't even come up with enough evidence to convict him of that. So the previous "charges" of murder were removed by the prosecutor.

If you wish to refer to a person that couldnt' be convicted of withholding evidence as a "murderer".. thats your business. I personally find it to be inappropriate and wrong. But thats just my perspective.

Either way.... I don't think Tebow is a candidate for the cover because he's a "nice guy." There are a TON of nice guys in football.

zbeg
03-25-2011, 05:10 PM
Depends on your perception. Anyone can be arrested and charged. The point being, they immediately dropped the 'charges' to withholding evidence, and couldn't even come up with enough evidence to convict him of that. So the previous "charges" of murder were removed by the prosecutor.

If you wish to refer to a person that couldnt' be convicted of withholding evidence as a "murderer".. thats your business. I personally find it to be inappropriate and wrong. But thats just my perspective.

Either way.... I don't think Tebow is a candidate for the cover because he's a "nice guy." There are a TON of nice guys in football.

No, I don't think Ray Lewis is a murderer, and I don't believe I ever said so. However, when you're talking about the marketability of a person, people do perceive Lewis as someone who went to trial for murder, and that hurts his marketability.

But in spite of all that, he found his way on the cover of Madden anyway. That is to say that on-field performance matters much more than what happens off the field, and is a reasonable criterion for putting someone on the cover of the game. So Tim Tebow, while he seems to be a perfectly fine person, is not suited to be on the cover of the game while Lewis, who withheld evidence in a murder investigation, is.

SmilinAssasSin27
03-25-2011, 05:30 PM
I voted only for those who I wish injury upon.

sneakers
03-26-2011, 03:04 AM

They basically have the same skillset.

atwater27
03-26-2011, 10:11 AM
No Bronco deserves to be on the madden cover this year. Simple as that.

BroncoWave
03-26-2011, 11:35 AM
Whoever wins the fan vote to be on the cover of a game that fans buy deserves to be on the cover. Simple as that.

atwater27
03-26-2011, 12:05 PM
Whoever wins the fan vote to be on the cover of a game that fans buy deserves to be on the cover. Simple as that.

Broncos fans maybe, but if Tebow wins, it won't be Broncos fans that put him on the cover. It'll be his gators fans. He won't win, by the way, Jammal Charles is pasting him right now. And he should. He has accomplished much more and is at this point a better football player. Now if Champ was the representative, he would deserve it much more than Charles.

atwater27
03-26-2011, 12:11 PM
LMAO Danny Woodhead is the Pats representative

Ravage!!!
03-26-2011, 12:30 PM
Broncos fans maybe, but if Tebow wins, it won't be Broncos fans that put him on the cover. It'll be his gators fans. He won't win, by the way, Jammal Charles is pasting him right now. And he should. He has accomplished much more and is at this point a better football player. Now if Champ was the representative, he would deserve it much more than Charles.

Not based on last year's play. These players aren't picked for their career achievements, they are picked because of last season's achievements.

KCL
03-30-2011, 01:51 PM
Jamaal Charles wins round one in Madden competition

To use NCAA Tournament language, Chiefs running back Jamaal Charles survived and advanced.

Charles was one of 16 players to advance to the second round of the Madden NFL 12 Cover Vote campaign hosted by ESPN.com and "SportsNation."

http://chiefsblog.kansascity.com/?q=node/1698

FanInAZ
03-30-2011, 03:01 PM
Jamaal Charles wins round one in Madden competition

To use NCAA Tournament language, Chiefs running back Jamaal Charles survived and advanced.

Charles was one of 16 players to advance to the second round of the Madden NFL 12 Cover Vote campaign hosted by ESPN.com and "SportsNation."

http://chiefsblog.kansascity.com/?q=node/1698

Charles, seeded sixth in his bracket, received 64 percent of the vote and defeated No. 11, quarterback Tim Tebow of Denver

Makes sense to me because Charles has accomplish far more in his pro career the TT. Give TT a few years as our starter and then maybe he'll have a chance.