PDA

View Full Version : MP3 players

SR
09-25-2007, 08:24 PM
Here's my dilemma. My 30g iPod video took a crap, so I'm in the market for a new MP3 player. Apparently Apple isn't making a 30g iPod anymore, so my choices are between the 80g iPod video ($250) or the 30g Microsoft Zune ($200).

I've been reading a lot about the Microsoft Zune and a lot of what I've read has been nothing but great things. I know for a fact that the iPod is an awesome little machine. Mine only broke because I left it in my car for about a week and the west Texas heat cooked it. However, a lot of the things I disliked about the iPod (easily scratched, small display screen, and poor display quality) has been corrected and improved upon by Microsoft with their Zune. The iPod doesn't have an FM reciever, but the Zune does.

I'm not a fan of change, but in this case, the Zune's pros and cons are way better than the iPod.

I'm wondering if any of you have used the Zune and curious as to your satisfaction or lack thereof.

Slick
09-25-2007, 09:33 PM
Here's my dilemma. My 30g iPod video took a crap, so I'm in the market for a new MP3 player. Apparently Apple isn't making a 30g iPod anymore, so my choices are between the 80g iPod video ($250) or the 30g Microsoft Zune ($200).

I've been reading a lot about the Microsoft Zune and a lot of what I've read has been nothing but great things. I know for a fact that the iPod is an awesome little machine. Mine only broke because I left it in my car for about a week and the west Texas heat cooked it. However, a lot of the things I disliked about the iPod (easily scratched, small display screen, and poor display quality) has been corrected and improved upon by Microsoft with their Zune. The iPod doesn't have an FM reciever, but the Zune does.

I'm not a fan of change, but in this case, the Zune's pros and cons are way better than the iPod.

I'm wondering if any of you have used the Zune and curious as to your satisfaction or lack thereof.

I bought a refurbished 30 giger from the apple store($200) to replace my 4 gig nano before my extremely long road trip. Maybe that is an option you could look into.

I don't know diddley about the Zune. Good luck to a fellow music fan, I'm sure you'll find something to get your fix with. :salute:

SR
09-25-2007, 09:36 PM
I bought a refurbished 30 giger from the apple store($200) to replace my 4 gig nano before my extremely long road trip. Maybe that is an option you could look into.

I don't know diddley about the Zune. Good luck to a fellow music fan, I'm sure you'll find something to get your fix with. :salute:

It just seems like, after comparing the iPod to the Zune, that getting a 30g iPod would be a step backwards.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8132772&type=product&id=1158321661056

Slick
09-25-2007, 09:43 PM
It just seems like, after comparing the iPod to the Zune, that getting a 30g iPod would be a step backwards.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8132772&type=product&id=1158321661056

Sharing music with other Zune users wirelessly, and will stay on your device for three days, that's pretty cool. I hate the radio so the FM thing doesnt do much for me.

MP3 format is easier for me than Apples,is it MP4?

Let me know what you end up doing, and give a review if you get it. I'll check around and see if anyone is using one here. It seems like MP3 format phones and players dominate the market here in Mexico.

SR
09-25-2007, 10:09 PM
Sharing music with other Zune users wirelessly, and will stay on your device for three days, that's pretty cool. I hate the radio so the FM thing doesnt do much for me.

MP3 format is easier for me than Apples,is it MP4?

Let me know what you end up doing, and give a review if you get it. I'll check around and see if anyone is using one here. It seems like MP3 format phones and players dominate the market here in Mexico.

Zune is MP3, but what I like about it is you can upload almost any kind of audio or video format to the Zune Market Place (equivalent of iTunes) and the program will automatically reformat it to the proper settings (WMV). I probably won't use the video portion of it much because I've got about 20g of music I will upload, but at least I know that if I want to utilize that 3" display I can. Everyone says the picture clarity blows iPod's out of the water.

I'll probably pick it up this weekend or early next week that way I can tinker with it a bit before I take off to the desert.

Requiem / The Dagda
09-25-2007, 11:00 PM
For the love of God, do not get a Zune. I sold about 12 of those and made well in sales off the warranty at K-Mart and over half of them were returned.

They suck.

Save yourself the trouble bud.

SR
09-26-2007, 12:05 AM
For the love of God, do not get a Zune. I sold about 12 of those and made well in sales off the warranty at K-Mart and over half of them were returned.

They suck.

Save yourself the trouble bud.

See, I went to Best Buy and Circuit City to talk to the people there today before I went to work. The guy at Best Buy had one and he said he enjoyed it more than his iPod. The guy at Circuit City said that it was his first MP3 player and he didn't understand what all the big fuss about iPods were because the Zune was "friggin awesome". When I asked both of them how many they've seen returned, the Best Buy guy said none (and he had worked there and been selling MP3 players for three years) and the Circuit City guy said two, but they were both within the 1-year warrantee and were replaced free of charge.

I had problems with my 30g iPod at first as well, but the one Apple had to replace worked flawlessly until it fried in my car.

I'm torn.

Chidoze
09-26-2007, 10:12 PM
I have the 30 gig Zune and I think it's one of the best mp3 players I've owned.

I've never had a ipod, so I cant really compare the two against each other.

I've had it for over 9 months now and not a single problem so far.

SR
09-26-2007, 10:15 PM
I have the 30 gig Zune and I think it's one of the best mp3 players I've owned.

I've never had a ipod, so I cant really compare the two against each other.

I've had it for over 9 months now and not a single problem so far.

The guy I work with bought one today and brought it in. It's friggin awesome and come pay day I'm making a trip over to Best Buy to get one.

Chidoze
09-26-2007, 10:21 PM
The guy I work with bought one today and brought it in. It's friggin awesome and come pay day I'm making a trip over to Best Buy to get one.
The only things I recommend getting (if you hadn't planned on it already) is a screen protector which is like 2 or 3 bucks, and the warranty.....just to be on the safe side.

You'll love it, I wear mine all day long and even during the evenings most of the time. :beer:

SR
09-26-2007, 11:30 PM
The only things I recommend getting (if you hadn't planned on it already) is a screen protector which is like 2 or 3 bucks, and the warranty.....just to be on the safe side.

You'll love it, I wear mine all day long and even during the evenings most of the time. :beer:

I've been scoping cases on Ebay that come with screen protectors. I fully intend on getting one. I probably won't get the extended warranty because it comes with a 1-year from Microsoft. By the time that year is up, I'll probably be ready for a new MP3 player.

RunYouOver
09-27-2007, 04:11 PM
I've seen, and used a Zune before, and they're pretty cool.

I was seriously considering getting a Zune before the new generation of iPods came out.

Besides being far more popular, with a better music system (iTunes), a lot of support, and other stuff, now you get 50 more GB for 50 more dollars than the 30 GB Zune.

Zune's are pretty cool and are a good option if you won't spend a penny more than 200$, but at this point, I'm going to get the 80 gig iPod.

SR
09-27-2007, 04:54 PM
I've seen, and used a Zune before, and they're pretty cool.

I was seriously considering getting a Zune before the new generation of iPods came out.

Besides being far more popular, with a better music system (iTunes), a lot of support, and other stuff, now you get 50 more GB for 50 more dollars than the 30 GB Zune.

Zune's are pretty cool and are a good option if you won't spend a penny more than 200$, but at this point, I'm going to get the 80 gig iPod.

I thought about that too, but after using the Zune I think my mind is made up. Although, 80g for only $50 more is quite a deal.

RunYouOver
09-29-2007, 12:05 PM
I thought about that too, but after using the Zune I think my mind is made up. Although, 80g for only $50 more is quite a deal.

That's what was the deciding factor for me.

If they were both 30, no question I'd get the Zune, but the convenience of things specifically MADE for iPods, not to mention the 50 extra GB for 50 bucks made me decide on the iPod.

BUT, I did hear something about a new wave of Zunes being released around holiday time if you want to wait and find out what those are going to be.

SR
09-29-2007, 08:31 PM
That's what was the deciding factor for me.

If they were both 30, no question I'd get the Zune, but the convenience of things specifically MADE for iPods, not to mention the 50 extra GB for 50 bucks made me decide on the iPod.

BUT, I did hear something about a new wave of Zunes being released around holiday time if you want to wait and find out what those are going to be.

I went and bought an 80g iPod today. I was comparing apples to oranges and just decided that, even though I'll never use 80g, it was just too good a deal to pass up.

I mean, I've already got a wall charger and extra USB cable for my iPod, an arm band as well as a clear rubber case for it, and a Klipsch 2.1 stereo for it. By the time I bought an arm band and another accessory for the Zune, I'd be over $250 as it is...so I ended up getting the silver 80g iPod.

RunYouOver
10-06-2007, 11:07 AM
I went and bought an 80g iPod today. I was comparing apples to oranges and just decided that, even though I'll never use 80g, it was just too good a deal to pass up.

I mean, I've already got a wall charger and extra USB cable for my iPod, an arm band as well as a clear rubber case for it, and a Klipsch 2.1 stereo for it. By the time I bought an arm band and another accessory for the Zune, I'd be over $250 as it is...so I ended up getting the silver 80g iPod.

Just for the record, Zune announced their all new MP3 players this week, that'll be released around the holidays.

A new 80 GB Zune for...you guessed it, $250:ahhhhh:

SR
10-06-2007, 11:28 AM
Just for the record, Zune announced their all new MP3 players this week, that'll be released around the holidays.

A new 80 GB Zune for...you guessed it, $250:ahhhhh:

That's how much I just paid for my 80g iPod...so I'll stick with it. It's got a couple of features that my nearly two year old 30g didn't, but it's pretty much still the same. One of the things that really turned me off to the Zune is the bulkiness. I don't have the biggest hands around, so the smaller it is the better.

Anything more than a handful is a waste. ;)