PDA

View Full Version : Yahoo on state of Broncos heading into next week

D1g1tal j1m
10-06-2008, 01:10 PM
Tampa may have lost, but they left a trail of broken Broncos

By Andy Behrens

The Denver Post reports today that receiver Eddie Royal and tight end Tony Scheffler "will likely miss at least next week's game against the Jacksonville Jaguars."

Royal sprained his left ankle on a punt return, and Scheffler has a strained groin. Scheffler's injury "could be more serious," according to the Post.

Fantasy owners should plan as if both players will miss the Jacksonville and New England games. Hopefully, Royal and Scheffler will return after the bye week to face the string of inviting defenses on Denver's schedule: Miami, at Cleveland, at Atlanta, Oakland, at NY Jets, Kansas City.

The short-term replacements for the Broncos are Darrell Garciaparra Jackson at receiver, and Nate Jackson at tight end. A calf injury has limited D-Jax to just one reception this season, although that catch was a 48-yard TD. Nate Jackson can't match Scheffler as a receiving threat.

Brandon Stokley's fantasy value gets a significant bump, too. The 32-year-old slot machine caught six passes for 52 yards and one TD in Week 5.

Here's one more important note, buried in the next-to-last paragraph in that Post story (and thus buried here, after the jump):

Two other key Broncos, running back Selvin Young and defensive lineman Ebenezer Ekuban, also suffered strained left groins.

Young has not done you any favors so far this season. Michael Pittman actually leads all Denver running backs in fantasy scoring, and he's smoothly lobbying for a greater share of the rushing workload:

"This 33-year-old guy still has a lot of juice in him," Pittman said Sunday, after Denver defeated Tampa Bay 16-13 in the kind of football he was born to play.

"I'm just waiting to get my opportunity to run the ball 20 times ... I want to run the ball. But I would never go to my coach and say, 'Give me the ball! I want 20 carries!'"

If you're a former Terrell Davis and/or Olandis Gary and/or Mike Anderson owner who just can't let go of the past, consider making rookie Ryan Torain the fourth Denver running back on your fantasy roster. He may return from the elbow injury by Week 9, and further complicate the rushing workload situation.

GEM
10-06-2008, 01:14 PM
Tampa may have lost, but they left a trail of broken Broncos

By Andy Behrens

The Denver Post reports today that receiver Eddie Royal and tight end Tony Scheffler "will likely miss at least next week's game against the Jacksonville Jaguars."

Royal sprained his left ankle on a punt return, and Scheffler has a strained groin. Scheffler's injury "could be more serious," according to the Post.

Fantasy owners should plan as if both players will miss the Jacksonville and New England games. Hopefully, Royal and Scheffler will return after the bye week to face the string of inviting defenses on Denver's schedule: Miami, at Cleveland, at Atlanta, Oakland, at NY Jets, Kansas City.

The short-term replacements for the Broncos are Darrell Garciaparra Jackson at receiver, and Nate Jackson at tight end. A calf injury has limited D-Jax to just one reception this season, although that catch was a 48-yard TD. Nate Jackson can't match Scheffler as a receiving threat.

Brandon Stokley's fantasy value gets a significant bump, too. The 32-year-old slot machine caught six passes for 52 yards and one TD in Week 5.

Here's one more important note, buried in the next-to-last paragraph in that Post story (and thus buried here, after the jump):

Two other key Broncos, running back Selvin Young and defensive lineman Ebenezer Ekuban, also suffered strained left groins.

Young has not done you any favors so far this season. Michael Pittman actually leads all Denver running backs in fantasy scoring, and he's smoothly lobbying for a greater share of the rushing workload:

"This 33-year-old guy still has a lot of juice in him," Pittman said Sunday, after Denver defeated Tampa Bay 16-13 in the kind of football he was born to play.

"I'm just waiting to get my opportunity to run the ball 20 times ... I want to run the ball. But I would never go to my coach and say, 'Give me the ball! I want 20 carries!'"

If you're a former Terrell Davis and/or Olandis Gary and/or Mike Anderson owner who just can't let go of the past, consider making rookie Ryan Torain the fourth Denver running back on your fantasy roster. He may return from the elbow injury by Week 9, and further complicate the rushing workload situation.

I had autodrafted the Jets qb Clemmons so I dropped him and picked up Torain. :D Hope he does me and our boys some good. :dance:

ApaOps5
10-06-2008, 01:39 PM
THis morning on Fox 31 the sports guy said Scheffler was going to his car after the game the same time as him. He said it was painful watching him get in his car and he talked with him and Scheffler said, "It might not be a groin it might be a sports hernia."

They don't have a link to that comment from this morning or I would post it. But I hope its just Scheffler being worried.

GEM
10-06-2008, 01:45 PM
THis morning on Fox 31 the sports guy said Scheffler was going to his car after the game the same time as him. He said it was painful watching him get in his car and he talked with him and Scheffler said, "It might not be a groin it might be a sports hernia."

They don't have a link to that comment from this morning or I would post it. But I hope its just Scheffler being worried.

I heard it as well. They asked him what a sports hernia really is and the sportscaster didn't know. They asked their doctor a little bit later in the show.

Hope it's not that serious....gosh dammmit, every time they get Scheff really into the game plan, he gets some kind of injury. :tsk:

ApaOps5
10-06-2008, 01:48 PM
How is he a sportscaster and not know what a sports hernia is! I had one and tried to play through it in High School. I am not even close to being an elite athlete but my attempt was VERY short lived.

Just look at what it did to Donovan McNabb a few years ago.

BigDaddyBronco
10-06-2008, 01:51 PM
So Scheff will get replaced by another glass-man by the name of Nate Jackson. Hope you can stay healthy Nate.

G_Money
10-06-2008, 08:22 PM
That's why we carry Nate - same strengths as Scheff, same weaknesses. The hope is that only one of them is broken at a time. We'll see, I guess. Maybe Graham will get to warm up his pass-catching hands.

Hopefully it's not a sports hernia. If it is, I'm gonna start having serious doubts about re-signing Scheffler to a long-term deal, what with his foot problems and other assorted medical issues. Topping that off with a hernia isn't gonna help persuade me to pay him Daniel Graham money.

Even if he is Cutler's bff.

~G

ApaOps5
10-06-2008, 08:25 PM
On the Jay Cutler show, Except it was Brandon Marshall hosting, they said it appears Scheffler has a torn groin.

frauschieze
10-06-2008, 08:30 PM
That's why we carry Nate - same strengths as Scheff, same weaknesses. The hope is that only one of them is broken at a time. We'll see, I guess. Maybe Graham will get to warm up his pass-catching hands.

Hopefully it's not a sports hernia. If it is, I'm gonna start having serious doubts about re-signing Scheffler to a long-term deal, what with his foot problems and other assorted medical issues. Topping that off with a hernia isn't gonna help persuade me to pay him Daniel Graham money.

Even if he is Cutler's bff.

~G

Whatever he has to do to hold on the ball. He's dropped a few this season already. :tsk:

SR
10-06-2008, 08:30 PM
I didn't know Jackson's middle name was Garciaparra. Cool.

ApaOps5
10-06-2008, 08:46 PM
They also said Selvin Young may have a torn groin as well. I wish they would post links when they say this so we in Denver can share what they say.

omac
10-06-2008, 08:54 PM
On the Jay Cutler show, Except it was Brandon Marshall hosting, they said it appears Scheffler has a torn groin.

Ouch.