PDA

View Full Version : The Military Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

SR
09-25-2007, 07:48 PM
Seems as if there are a few of us on the boards currently serving and a few more who have previously served. Let this place be the place for story telling, questions, and any other non-political military discussion.

Denver Native (Carol)
09-25-2007, 08:01 PM
Seems as if there are a few of us on the boards currently serving and a few more who have previously served. Let this place be the place for story telling, questions, and any other non-political military discussion.

Great idea SeeingRed :salute: I also started the Send Cards to our Soldiers thread.

kcvet
10-10-2007, 09:42 AM
I did my service in Nam as some of you know. here are a few links to to stuff I have. vids, photos, etc

the USN site. down the left side are links to all branch's
here (here)

military.com shock and awe. take your pick
link (link)

4 bad guys and 1 lucky dog vid here (here)

military vids link (link)

look thru the FLIR of an apache chopper. night attack. here (here)

WW11. the wreck of LST 342. (large slow target) link (link)

lets here from some of those who are currently serving...............

SR
10-10-2007, 09:48 AM
I enlisted in the USAF in August 2003.

Graduated from BMT 19Sept03 as an Airman First Class (A1C, E-3).

Graduated from tech. school in March '04.

Got to Dyess AFB in Abilene, TX on 28March04.

Deployed to Afghanistan from Sept-Dec '04.

Deployed to Qatar from June-Oct '05.

Sewed on Senior Airman (SrA, E-4) 19Jan06.

Deployed to Kuwait from June-Oct '06.

Selected for promotion to Staff Sergeant (SSgt, E-5) in Aug '07.

Friday I'm deploying again for four more months and will sew on SSgt on 1Apr08.

kcvet
10-10-2007, 10:35 AM
I enlisted in the USAF in August 2003.

Graduated from BMT 19Sept03 as an Airman First Class (A1C, E-3).

Graduated from tech. school in March '04.

Got to Dyess AFB in Abilene, TX on 28March04.

Deployed to Afghanistan from Sept-Dec '04.

Deployed to Qatar from June-Oct '05.

Sewed on Senior Airman (SrA, E-4) 19Jan06.

Deployed to Kuwait from June-Oct '06.

Selected for promotion to Staff Sergeant (SSgt, E-5) in Aug '07.

Friday I'm deploying again for four more months and will sew on SSgt on 1Apr08.

:salute:come back to us safe and sound. what is your job????? mine was communications and intel. I came home an
E-5.

Denver Native (Carol)
10-10-2007, 02:58 PM
:usa2: Since Davii and SeeingRed are both soldiers who are serving our country at this time, I thought it would be appropriate to have a thread where they could post from time to time to let us know that they are safe, and to keep in touch with us. Best Wishes to both of you - THANK YOU for serving.:salute:

Watchthemiddle
10-10-2007, 05:05 PM
Enlisted U.S. Navy 1996.

Boot camp in Great Lakes, MI

Damage Control 'A' School summer of 1996 at Treasure Island California.

Stationed aboard the USS SHiloh Sept 1996 - Feb 1998.

BUD/S class 218 Feb 1998- April 1998 - Rang the bell. Not ashamed to admit it.

Stationed aboard USS Essex June 1998 - EOS Febuary 2000 Damage Controlman Second Class E-5.

Went on 2 Western Pacific deployments.

Had the privaledge of visiting Hong Kong, Singapore, Bali, Bahrain, Oman, Spending 3 months circling the Persian Gulf ( got TWO beer days because we were out to sea for 45 consecutive days twice...:tsk:) , Thailand, Puerto Villarta ( met my wife there :elefant:) Acapulco, Mazatlan, and Hawaii.

Best 4 years of my life. Met my wife ( see above ) and friends I will have for the rest of my life.

:salute: to those who have served and...:salute: to those currently serving.

kcvet
10-10-2007, 06:06 PM
Enlisted U.S. Navy - 1966 theu 1970

Boot camp RTC San Diego

radio training schools at Treasure Island, Sfran

Teletype maintaince NTC san diego 1968

Went on 4 Western Pacific deployments.

served on USS Forrestal (TAD), USS Newport News, USS Vesuvius. all operating from the subic navel base PI.

visits to Hong kong, Singapore, Japan, Bangkok, Hawaii

a special salute to the 58,000 that perished. and to all our vets. present and past.

Escobar
10-10-2007, 06:16 PM
Enlisted U.S. Navy 1996.

Boot camp in Great Lakes, MI

Damage Control 'A' School summer of 1996 at Treasure Island California.

Stationed aboard the USS SHiloh Sept 1996 - Feb 1998.

BUD/S class 218 Feb 1998- April 1998 - Rang the bell. Not ashamed to admit it.

Stationed aboard USS Essex June 1998 - EOS Febuary 2000 Damage Controlman Second Class E-5.

Went on 2 Western Pacific deployments.

Had the privaledge of visiting Hong Kong, Singapore, Bali, Bahrain, Oman, Spending 3 months circling the Persian Gulf ( got TWO beer days because we were out to sea for 45 consecutive days twice...:tsk:) , Thailand, Puerto Villarta ( met my wife there :elefant:) Acapulco, Mazatlan, and Hawaii.

Best 4 years of my life. Met my wife ( see above ) and friends I will have for the rest of my life.

:salute: to those who have served and...:salute: to those currently serving.
thats great....acapulco is booooooooomb diggity :beeer:

Davii
10-11-2007, 04:15 AM
Didn't see this thread until now.

Been in the Marines since Sept of 95.

Been a few places, in no particular order... South Carolina, California, Japan, Australia, Louisiana, Kuwait, and Iraq.

Currently serving in Iraq. Gunnery Sergeant of Marines, E-7 at present. Looking to move to the "dark side" and become an officer after this deployment.

Denver Native (Carol)
10-11-2007, 08:54 AM
:usa2: Thanks so much for your service Davii - keep us posted in this thread how you are doing.

SR
10-11-2007, 09:39 AM
Didn't see this thread until now.

Been in the Marines since Sept of 95.

Been a few places, in no particular order... South Carolina, California, Japan, Australia, Louisiana, Kuwait, and Iraq.

Currently serving in Iraq. Gunnery Sergeant of Marines, E-7 at present. Looking to move to the "dark side" and become an officer after this deployment.

I have been considering doing the same in the AF. I'll finish my CCAF (2-year degree) while I'm in the desert. When I get back in Feb I have to go through ALS (Airman Leadership School, required when you make E-5), then I have to go to another 2 week class in Wichita Falls, but after that's all done I'm going to finish my BS in Business Administration, then apply for OTS. I think I'm finally frustrated enough with busting my ass for these weak paychecks that I'm going to do something about it.

Davii
10-15-2007, 11:00 AM
Well, I wasn't going to make it public domain, but i've been getting asked about it so I figured why not.

I created a blog to keep people up to date while I am here in Iraq. Feel free to peruse and leave comments.

If you have any questions about what you see on the blog this is a good place, I will come here and answer any questions you may have, provided I can answer said questions.

http://mattdeployment.blogspot.com

Davii
10-20-2007, 04:12 AM
Hey all, just a quick update on Seeingred.

SR is doing well, he can't get to the site due to it being blocked where he is at, but is still trying to figure out a way.

He is doing well and is "enjoying himself" down there and wanted me to let everyone know he says hi.

Take care!

Denver Native (Carol)
10-22-2007, 09:22 PM
Hey all, just a quick update on Seeingred.

SR is doing well, he can't get to the site due to it being blocked where he is at, but is still trying to figure out a way.

He is doing well and is "enjoying himself" down there and wanted me to let everyone know he says hi.

Take care!

Thanks Davii - Hello to you, and tell SR we said Hi, and both of you stay safe.

underrated29
10-23-2007, 02:01 PM
thats great!

thnaks for the update davi!

:salute:

Jody
10-23-2007, 06:14 PM
Hey there SR! :wave:

When you finally get back on....you're going to have a lot of catching up to do! :D You know you're well loved here! Keeping you in my thoughts SR. ;)

SR
10-26-2007, 06:16 AM
I'm back! I know, I already made a thread, but I figured I'd come in here too.

The base I'm at is MASSIVE. We've got close to 100 planes here from close to ten different kinds of aircraft.. The Brits and Aussies share two ramps with us. There is close to 10k people on this base at any given time. I've been here before, but it wasn't this big with this many people before. I notice a lot more Army and Marines here now. Not sure if that's a good or bad thing. :laugh:

(I actually had a briefing from an Army Sergeant First Class today. He said he was so proud to be deployed with the AF because it has come full circle for him how important the AF is to the people on the ground. He also said he's thankful for deploying with the AF because he's only gone for 6 months instead of 15 months. :D)

Ricky
11-27-2007, 06:12 PM
I am new to the sight and just starting to learn my way around. This seemed like a good place to make my first post. I served in the US Navy during the Reagan years; 1981 to 1987. I was an Atlantic submariner. Currently my son is a medic in the US Army, serving in Texas.

Denver Native (Carol)
11-27-2007, 06:20 PM
I am new to the sight and just starting to learn my way around. This seemed like a good place to make my first post. I served in the US Navy during the Reagan years; 1981 to 1987. I was an Atlantic submariner. Currently my son is a medic in the US Army, serving in Texas.

Thanks so much Ricky for your service and for your son's service :salute: and :welcome:

kcvet
11-27-2007, 07:42 PM

welcome aboard. I to served in the USN. my years were under Johnson/Nixon.

Jody
11-27-2007, 07:45 PM

Welcome, Ricky. We appreciate our military members on this board very much so. Hope you feel right at home here.

SR
11-28-2007, 02:19 AM

Welcome to the boards. I made some friends with a couple of SEALS yesterday...good guys.

saddletramp
12-02-2007, 08:39 PM
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l71/Saddletramp69/godblessourtroops.gif

BOSSHOGG30
12-27-2007, 12:39 PM
U.S. Army Ranger 2000-2007

DallasChief
12-27-2007, 12:43 PM
Boy Scout 1980-1984

Ricky
12-27-2007, 12:46 PM
Boy Scout 1980-1984

Tenderfoot?

DallasChief
12-27-2007, 12:48 PM
Tenderfoot?

Star Scout.

CoachChaz
12-27-2007, 12:50 PM
US Marine Corps 1991-1994
________
Integra dc5 (http://www.honda-wiki.org/wiki/Honda_Integra_DC5)

Broncolingus
12-27-2007, 12:52 PM
Enlisted:
HAAF, Savannah, GA
Pusan, Korea

Officer:
Fort Huachuca, AZ
Port-au-Prince, Haiti (worst place ever)
NTC (Fort Irwin), CA
Kosovo, Serbia
Fort Richardson, AK
Mosul, Iraq
Fort Richardson, AK

AGR:
Hawaii
Bagram, Afgan
Camp Mabry, Tejas

SR
12-27-2007, 01:23 PM
Bagram is in Afghanistan.

SR
12-27-2007, 01:23 PM
U.S. Army Ranger 2000-2007

And you are officially a badass.

Ricky
12-27-2007, 01:26 PM

Don't worry. You will get used to the smell.

Broncolingus
12-27-2007, 01:28 PM
Bagram is in Afghanistan.

Yeah...thx. I already fixed it.

Blew that one...blew the tiger post on the other thread.

Brain and fingers NOT working today...

SR
12-27-2007, 01:30 PM
Yeah...thx. I already fixed it.

Blew that one...blew the tiger post on the other thread.

Brain and fingers NOT working today...

It's ok. I'll forgive you this once.

yardog
12-27-2007, 01:30 PM
US Army 1986 - 1989.

Davii
12-27-2007, 01:31 PM
US Marine Corps 1991-1994

Semper Fi Coach.

Active Duty Marine 1995-Present

Broncolingus
12-27-2007, 01:33 PM
It's ok. I'll forgive you this once.

Thx...

Just don't make me go back to Port-au-Prince.

WORST place ever!

You'd think for a caribbean island it'd be nicer...didn't spend much time on the ground outside of the city and was only there for a little less than 6-months, but looked as bad even from the air.

SR
12-27-2007, 01:33 PM
Semper Fi Coach.

I gave three Marines a tour of our flight line today. All great guys. E-mail me again when you get a chance. My friggin address book isn't working and I was going to forward you something earlier today, but your address was gone...again...

SR
12-27-2007, 01:34 PM
Thx...

WORST place ever!

You'd think for a caribbean island it'd be nicer...didn't spend much time on the ground outside of the city and was only there for a little less than 6-months, but looked as bad even from the air.

My buddy Richie was there in 2005 for four months and hated it. You're only the second person I've talked to that has been there and so far it's 0/2 in terms of likeability.

Broncolingus
12-27-2007, 01:38 PM
My buddy Richie was there in 2005 for four months and hated it. You're only the second person I've talked to that has been there and so far it's 0/2 in terms of likeability.

Yeah, it was the worst for where I've been...

How's Qatar?

I've done some (used too anyway) Med Regulating and got to know the TRANSCOM and AF folks well...they still working out of where you are?

Everyone I've talked to said it was an decent place to be...

CoachChaz
12-27-2007, 01:39 PM
Semper Fi Coach.

Stay hard, Devil Dog. What's your MOS?
________
Ns500 (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Honda_NS500)

SR
12-27-2007, 01:42 PM
Yeah, it was the worst for where I've been...

How's Qatar?

I've done some (used too anyway) Med Regulating and got to know the TRANSCOM and AF folks well...they still working out of where you are?

Everyone I've talked to said it was an decent place to be...

This is the second best base I've been to, the first being Ali Al Salem, Kuwait.

It's not bad here, just super crowded and A LOT of stupid ass rules. The ops tempo here is pretty high; lots of sorties. There are other bases I'd rather be (Ali Al Salem, Bagram, Balad, in that order) other than here, but I'm not complaining at all.

I'm not familiar with TRANSCOM at all.

SR
12-27-2007, 01:43 PM

If there was an MOS titled "F-ing badass", Gunney would fit right in that one. ;)

Broncolingus
12-27-2007, 01:47 PM
This is the second best base I've been to, the first being Ali Al Salem, Kuwait.

It's not bad here, just super crowded and A LOT of stupid ass rules. The ops tempo here is pretty high; lots of sorties. There are other bases I'd rather be (Ali Al Salem, Bagram, Balad, in that order) other than here, but I'm not complaining at all.

Sounds good...

I agree about Bagram (Afghanistan)…liked it there too.

US Transportation Command - Joint office (used to be a sub-office (GPMRC - but don't know what its called now) that worked to coordinate global patient movement.

When's your tour up?

BOSSHOGG30
12-27-2007, 01:49 PM

Not anymore... I'm gearing down and getting married and still can't do wind sprints after my first live IED experience.

Davii
12-27-2007, 01:56 PM

2862 - Ground Communications Electronics Technician/Maintenance Chief
0681 - EKMS Manager

Currently serving with I&I Staff 3d BN 23d Marines, based out of New Orleans, serving in Haditha Triad, Iraq.

Davii
12-27-2007, 01:57 PM
Not anymore... I'm gearing down and getting married and still can't do wind sprints after my first live IED experience.

Congratulations on the marriage Boss.

Purple Heart I assume? I wish you the best in your recovery. You going to be able to stay on Active Duty?

BOSSHOGG30
12-27-2007, 02:00 PM
Congratulations on the marriage Boss.

Purple Heart I assume? I wish you the best in your recovery. You going to be able to stay on Active Duty?

Thanks, Yes, Thank you, Nope... done

SR
12-27-2007, 02:01 PM
Sounds good...

I agree about Bagram (Afghanistan)…liked it there too.

US Transportation Command - Joint office (used to be a sub-office (GPMRC - but don't know what its called now) that worked to coordinate global patient movement.

When's your tour up?

Gotcha. All of our AE stuff now is all coordinated by AE (Aeromed Evac) and we, along with the C-17s, move all of the AE patients in and out of here. I went out to a plane the other day after it landed and there was blood ALL over the cargo floor. Made me sad.

Broncolingus
12-27-2007, 02:01 PM

Hope the recovery goes well, Boss...and congrats and good luck on the marriage.

CoachChaz
12-27-2007, 02:02 PM
2862 - Ground Communications Electronics Technician/Maintenance Chief
0681 - EKMS Manager

Currently serving with I&I Staff 3d BN 23d Marines, based out of New Orleans, serving in Haditha Triad, Iraq.

Good, Something that you can use when you get out. I was a sniper, so all i can really do is kill a man from far away and pump the neighbor's dog...a job that Broncnut claimed from me a while ago.
________
Universal Health Warehouse (http://uhwh.com/)

SR
12-27-2007, 02:03 PM

Congrats on your marriage. You guys on the ground really are amazing and I could never, ever express how grateful and appreciative I am for what you guys have done/are doing. I'm sorry you aren't going to be able to return to active duty, but congrats (if that means anything) on the Purple Heart.

Broncolingus
12-27-2007, 02:04 PM
Gotcha. All of our AE stuff now is all coordinated by AE (Aeromed Evac) and we, along with the C-17s, move all of the AE patients in and out of here. I went out to a plane the other day after it landed and there was blood ALL over the cargo floor. Made me sad.

Yeah...that scene in We Were Soldiers where they 'wash' the floor of that UH-1 wasn't too far off from some of the real stuff we've seen...

Sad yes, but good too when you can save a life...

Defiently emotional highs and lows in this business...

SR
12-27-2007, 02:06 PM
Good, Something that you can use when you get out. I was a sniper, so all i can really do is kill a man from far away and pump the neighbor's dog...a job that Broncnut claimed from me a while ago.

When I get back in Feb and can make my way over to DFW, you, me, and DC are gonna go get some beers. :beer:

CoachChaz
12-27-2007, 02:09 PM
When I get back in Feb and can make my way over to DFW, you, me, and DC are gonna go get some beers. :beer:

Sounds like a plan. We just did that with NTL and had a good time.
________
PORTABLE VAPORIZER REVIEWS (http://vaporizer.org/portable)

SR
12-27-2007, 02:09 PM
Yeah...that scene in We Were Soldiers where they 'wash' the floor of that UH-1 wasn't too far off from some of the real stuff we've seen...

Sad yes, but good too when you can save a life...

Defiently emotional highs and lows in this business...

Fortunately for us, cleaning out the inside of the plane was easy. The nose tires were worn, so we jacked the nose to change the tires and I just grabbed a couple dozen bottles of water and a push broom and got it done. It's still sad though.

We just finished up some surge operations in Afghanistan in Helmand province and we have been moving A LOT of AE patients in and out of here. Crazy. Lots of blood pallets too.

DallasChief
12-27-2007, 02:10 PM
Maybe we can go to a Mavs or Stars game.

SR
12-27-2007, 02:10 PM
Sounds like a plan. We just did that with NTL and had a good time.

NTL?

The Lounge sounds like a nice place. :D

DallasChief
12-27-2007, 02:11 PM
NTL?

The Lounge sounds like a nice place. :D

It's The Lodge. :cool:

SR
12-27-2007, 02:11 PM
Maybe we can go to a Mavs or Stars game.

I'd be up for that totally. I've got Airman Leadership School (required before promotion to E-5, which I get in April) from late March to early May, but we can figure something out.

SR
12-27-2007, 02:12 PM
It's The Lodge. :cool:

LOL. I smoke rocks.

Davii
12-27-2007, 02:17 PM

Hold off for two months and i'll swing through on my combat leave roadtrip and join you for a few as well.

DallasChief
12-27-2007, 02:21 PM
Hold off for two months and i'll swing through on my combat leave roadtrip and join you for a few as well.

Or we could do it twice. :beer:

SR
12-27-2007, 02:21 PM

Dude...I go to DFW a lot...I'll make another trip over there to buy you some brew.

CoachChaz
12-27-2007, 02:22 PM
Sounds like a party or two in the making fellas!!
________
Ios games (http://macgame.org)

Davii
12-27-2007, 02:26 PM
Or we could do it twice. :beer:

even better plan.

SR
12-27-2007, 02:30 PM
even better plan.

It'll give me time to build my tolerance back up. :D

Davii
12-27-2007, 02:34 PM
It'll give me time to build my tolerance back up. :D

Too early to nominate a DD?

1,2,3 NOT IT!

DallasChief
12-27-2007, 02:35 PM
Not it.

CoachChaz
12-27-2007, 02:41 PM
Won't be the first or last time I've driven drunk, so I don't care either way...I'm still drinking.
________
Penny Stocks (http://pennystockpicks.net/)

SR
12-28-2007, 01:54 AM
Not it!!!!!!!!

Dreadnought
12-29-2007, 06:04 PM
Thx...

WORST place ever!

My Brother was an AF Officer in Port-au-Prince for 6 mos. He said you can barely describle the suckitude of the place- dirt, poverty, corruption, more pverty. He said even the chickens are so skinny they can fly.

Dreadnought
12-29-2007, 06:08 PM
ARNG from 1987-1997. Enlisted as 11-B, basic in Fort Benning, then OCS, IOBC, also Fort Benning. great stuff. Really enjoyed it all 'till I went to Brigade Staff. Served in the 27th Infantry Brigade throughout.

Eventually, lost the vision in my right eye in a stupid training accident at Fort Drum, and that was the end for me.

Thanks all for your service to the country!

kcvet
12-29-2007, 06:08 PM
He said you can barely describle the suckitude of the place- dirt, poverty, corruption, more pverty. He said even the chickens are so skinny they can fly.

exactly what I saw in the Philippines, maybe even worse.

Broncolingus
12-29-2007, 06:14 PM
ARNG from 1987-1997. Enlisted as 11-B, basic in Fort Benning, then OCS, IOBC, also Fort Benning. great stuff. Really enjoyed it all 'till I went to Brigade Staff. Served in the 27th Infantry Brigade throughout.

Eventually, lost the vision in my right eye in a stupid training accident at Fort Drum, and that was the end for me.

Thanks all for your service to the country!

Thank you too, Dread...sorry to hear about the vision.

Broncolingus
12-29-2007, 06:20 PM
My Brother was an AF Officer in Port-au-Prince for 6 mos. He said you can barely describle the suckitude of the place- dirt, poverty, corruption, more pverty. He said even the chickens are so skinny they can fly.

Yeah...most people figure Iraq would have been the worst, but nope (for me anyway).

Iraq was fine...better in 03' for the 'war' than in 05.' Safer anyway...

Kosovo was actually quite nice - I was there for SF2 - beautiful country other than the landmines and every structure (house, barn, outhouse) was damaged from bullet or some shrapnel and/or burned.

Never would want to go back to Port-au-Prince.

Dreadnought
12-29-2007, 06:20 PM
Thank you too, Dread...sorry to hear about the vision.

Its really not a big deal. Its one thing you can easily compensate for. I can't hit a golf ball or baseball anymore, thats about it. My depth perception is a little "off" now but thats all.

There's a helluva lot of men and women gave up limbs and worse. What happened to me was just a little stupid bad luck (a scrap of flying metal) in a motor park being near some guys breaking track on a M-113 during PMCS.

Broncolingus
12-29-2007, 06:25 PM
Its really not a big deal. Its one thing you can easily compensate for. I can't hit a golf ball or baseball anymore, thats about it. My depth perception is a little "off" now but thats all.

There's a helluva lot of men and women gave up limbs and worse. What happened to me was just a little stupid bad luck (a scrap of flying metal) in a motor park being near some guys breaking track on a M-113 during PMCS.

You could probably hit better with one-eye than I can with two...

Actually, I'm quite gifted...I NEVER hit the fairway.

You know how hard that is to do ALL the time??!!

BOSSHOGG30
01-07-2008, 04:49 PM
US Army

If you say it backwards you get:

Yes, My retarded ass signed up

tripleoption
01-10-2008, 06:07 PM
US Army 1986-1992
Ft. Lewis, Fort Benning and Germany
MOS 16P, 11B
Went to airborne school in 1988 and shredded my knee on the second jump. Made the third but was forced out when they saw me limping. Sucks to get so close to my five jumps. I got arthritis in both knees now, but I'm doing OK. Like Dreadnaught said, it's something that I can easily compensate for and there are others who have suffered far worse injuries such as lost limbs. I can't run well, but I took up cycling several years ago and I think it's really helped and I've come to love cycling, so it pointed me to a new hobby. God bless all who are serving!!:salute:

claymore
01-10-2008, 06:13 PM
US Army 1986-1992
Ft. Lewis, Fort Benning and Germany
MOS 16P, 11B
Went to airborne school in 1988 and shredded my knee on the second jump. Made the third but was forced out when they saw me limping. Sucks to get so close to my five jumps. I got arthritis in both knees now, but I'm doing OK. Like Dreadnaught said, it's something that I can easily compensate for and there are others who have suffered far worse injuries such as lost limbs. I can't run well, but I took up cycling several years ago and I think it's really helped and I've come to love cycling, so it pointed me to a new hobby. God bless all who are serving!!:salute:
Well you saved allot of time doing nothing but waiting on the Tarmac.................... Thanks for your service. :salute:

turftoad
01-11-2008, 08:19 PM
Usmc 1980 - 1984.

Coast Guard
01-12-2008, 11:04 AM
U.S. Coast Guard - Senior Chief
1987-present. I plan to do 10 more and get my 30 years.

1987: Boot Camp (Cape May, NJ)
1987-1990: Motor Lifeboat Station Oswego, NY
1990 - 1993: USCGC DECISIVE (WMEC 629), St. Pete, FL
1993-1997: Motor Lifeboat Station Oregon Inlet (Nags Head, NC)
1997-1999: USCGC MUSKINGUM (WLR 75402), Sallisaw, OK
1999-2002: USCGC PENOBSCOT BAY (WTGB 107), New York, NY
2002-2006: Response Boat Station Portland, OR
2006-Present: USCGC OSAGE (WLR 65505), Pittsburgh, PA

I've had a great 20 years and am not ready to retire yet. I've had drug busts on the high seas, repatriated Haitians back to Port-Au-Prince (I feel your pain), been involved with Cuban migrants, was stationed in NYC for 9-11, and executed search and rescue cases. I'm currently assigned as the Officer in Charge to a unit that takes care of the aids to navigation on the Ohio, Allegheny and Monongahela Rivers.

What I love about the CG is the diversity we have in jobs. One tour I can do Law Enforcement, the next ice-breaking, the next homeland security, the next aids to navigation and the list goes on. It keeps you fresh. It's a great service and unfortunately most people don't really know everything we do.

And, for the record, the Coast Guard has been involved in every major conflict since 1790!

Semper Paratus!

WARHORSE
01-14-2008, 02:11 AM
Im just in here to salute any military folks. My heroes for sure.

Thank you very much. There are still people in America that truly honor the uniform you wear, but moreso those who wear it.

Count me as one, and I teach my children to do the same.

Peace. WH

SR
01-14-2008, 02:16 AM
U.S. Coast Guard - Senior Chief
1987-present. I plan to do 10 more and get my 30 years.

1987: Boot Camp (Cape May, NJ)
1987-1990: Motor Lifeboat Station Oswego, NY
1990 - 1993: USCGC DECISIVE (WMEC 629), St. Pete, FL
1993-1997: Motor Lifeboat Station Oregon Inlet (Nags Head, NC)
1997-1999: USCGC MUSKINGUM (WLR 75402), Sallisaw, OK
1999-2002: USCGC PENOBSCOT BAY (WTGB 107), New York, NY
2002-2006: Response Boat Station Portland, OR
2006-Present: USCGC OSAGE (WLR 65505), Pittsburgh, PA

I've had a great 20 years and am not ready to retire yet. I've had drug busts on the high seas, repatriated Haitians back to Port-Au-Prince (I feel your pain), been involved with Cuban migrants, was stationed in NYC for 9-11, and executed search and rescue cases. I'm currently assigned as the Officer in Charge to a unit that takes care of the aids to navigation on the Ohio, Allegheny and Monongahela Rivers.

What I love about the CG is the diversity we have in jobs. One tour I can do Law Enforcement, the next ice-breaking, the next homeland security, the next aids to navigation and the list goes on. It keeps you fresh. It's a great service and unfortunately most people don't really know everything we do.

And, for the record, the Coast Guard has been involved in every major conflict since 1790!

Semper Paratus!

The CG is amazing. Had I known more about what y'all do before I enlisted in the AF, I would've gone that route for sure. Your C-130s look so much prettier than ours. ;)

Traveler
01-22-2008, 07:58 PM
1983-1989
U.S. Army
HHC, G-2
82nd Airborne Division
Fort Bragg, NC

MOS- 81C, 96D

SR
01-23-2008, 01:28 AM
Ahh. Good ole Fayettenam.

Traveler
01-23-2008, 06:19 AM
Ahh. Good ole Fayettenam.

I haven't heard that in awhile. Miss the people, but not the area.

SR
01-23-2008, 06:23 AM
I haven't heard that in awhile. Miss the people, but not the area.

I was TDY to Pope AFB in Nov '04 and got to experience Fayettenam first hand.

I'll never forget...I was driving through Bragg to go out the Reily Rd Gate and was stuck at the top of the hill there. It was raining and I guess the Army guys were shooting off artillery rounds but I thought I blew out a tire. So my dumb ass gets out of my rental and walked around the vehicle checking for blown tires. Some guy rolled down his window and said "Hey Newb, get back in your car it's just the artillery rounds". I replied "I'm in the Air Force and I'm not stationed here!". :laugh:

Davii
01-27-2008, 02:11 AM
Put some more photos up on the Flickr page for those that are interested.

Link (http://www.flickr.com/photos/mattdavis77)

SR
01-27-2008, 02:18 AM
Gawddamn internet blockers.

pnbronco
02-03-2008, 12:20 AM
Put some more photos up on the Flickr page for those that are interested.

Link (http://www.flickr.com/photos/mattdavis77)

Thank you for the pictures and all that you do for us, stay safe.

broncogirl7
02-03-2008, 01:24 AM
Great pics Davii. Keep up the good work. You are a very attractive man. Sorry if that's too forward, but you are...

horsesense
05-01-2008, 06:40 PM
Served in the United States Army as a 95 Bravo (Military Police) from 1981- 1984, then did another year in the National Guard from 1985-86.

ant1999e
05-12-2008, 10:41 PM

I'm getting deployed to Ali Al Salem. What's it like there?

ant1999e
05-12-2008, 10:46 PM
I joined the AF in 1995 and was stationed at Offutt AFB in Omaha, NE
Then was sent on a year remote (without the family) to Osan AB, Korea.
After that was sent to McConnel AFB in Wichita, KS and now I'm back at Offutt. I've been deployed to Escon Village in Riyad, Saudi Arabia and Al Dahfra AB in the United Arab Emirates.

spikerman
05-13-2008, 05:53 PM
Enlisted in the Air Force - 1986
Career field - linguist
Separated from active duty - 2000
Retired from Active Reserve - 2007

BMF Bronco
05-20-2008, 01:24 AM
I am a proud AF Vet, enlisted in 93, as Security Police went to Grand Forks until nov. 94 then went to Memmingen AB in Germany, closed that down, came back to the states Malmstrom AFB and honorably discharged in 97, now am a disabled vet (20%).

Davii
05-20-2008, 09:19 AM

Sorry I didn't see this soon ant. SR could tell you a lot better than I, as i have only been through while transiting to and from Iraq, however, from what I have seen of it it's not a bad place to be.

No worries of mortars or anything, very secure. They have a PX and all the amenities. Most people there live in the wet cans, trailers. They have internet, etc.

So, it's not the worst way to spend a few months. Good luck to you over there man, hope your family deals well with it.

CoachChaz
05-20-2008, 09:32 AM
So why was a Gunny(you) pinning a Top in that one picture? Not enough senior SNCO's to initiate him?

Davii
05-20-2008, 09:39 AM
So why was a Gunny(you) pinning a Top in that one picture? Not enough senior SNCO's to initiate him?

The only SNCO senior to him where we were at was the 1stSgt and they didn't get along. So he had asked for the Gunny's to pin him.

CoachChaz
05-20-2008, 09:44 AM
The only SNCO senior to him where we were at was the 1stSgt and they didn't get along. So he had asked for the Gunny's to pin him.

Makes sense.

Davii
05-20-2008, 09:46 AM
Makes sense.

Yeah, Master Sergeants and First Sergeants not getting along?

Wait, yeah, that's normal. :lol:

CoachChaz
05-20-2008, 09:51 AM
Yeah, Master Sergeants and First Sergeants not getting along?

Wait, yeah, that's normal. :lol:

Never heard of it. lol.

I remember before I got out, I was with a Comm Company until my processing was complete. NO ONE could stand the company 1st Sgt. This dude was like 6'6", 150 pounds, had a poodle and drove a Miata. Always had a chip on his shoulder.

Davii
05-20-2008, 09:53 AM
Never heard of it. lol.

I remember before I got out, I was with a Comm Company until my processing was complete. NO ONE could stand the company 1st Sgt. This dude was like 6'6", 150 pounds, had a poodle and drove a Miata. Always had a chip on his shoulder.

And always yelled about your belt being 1/16" too long.

claymore
05-20-2008, 09:56 AM

Sorry I didn't see this soon ant. SR could tell you a lot better than I, as i have only been through while transiting to and from Iraq, however, from what I have seen of it it's not a bad place to be.

No worries of mortars or anything, very secure. They have a PX and all the amenities. Most people there live in the wet cans, trailers. They have internet, etc.

So, it's not the worst way to spend a few months. Good luck to you over there man, hope your family deals well with it.

Ali Al Salem is pretty nice. Before I was deployed to Qatar it was actually the nicest place I was ever deployed to. Chow was warm, tents were already set up, had a mini PX, and an MWR facility. Not bad at all, that was 10-11 years ago. An hour away from Doha, and real close to the Gulf War graveyard. Pretty neat to go to.

CoachChaz
05-20-2008, 09:59 AM
And always yelled about your belt being 1/16" too long.

One day we PT'd in boots and utes and somewhere along the run, my buckle fell off. So I went to work without it thinking...no big deal. Low and behold, we have a piss test that day and he's there watching us. ******* made me do push ups for 20 minutes because of that.

Day1BroncoFan
05-20-2008, 10:04 AM
So now my oldest son is a PFC in the Marines and is in limbo here (http://pom-ima.monterey.army.mil/sites/local/) waiting to find out which language he will be learning and when his schooling will start.

Me, I'm just a proud parent of a U.S. Marine. :D

CoachChaz
05-20-2008, 10:07 AM
So now my oldest son is a PFC in the Marines and is in limbo here (http://pom-ima.monterey.army.mil/sites/local/) waiting to find out which language he will be learning and when his schooling will start.

What's his MOS?

Day1BroncoFan
05-20-2008, 10:12 AM
What's his MOS?

I'm not sure what the military designation is but he is in crytological linguistics.

The next time I talk to him I'll ask him about the MOS.

CoachChaz
05-20-2008, 10:14 AM
I'm not sure what the military designation is but he is in crytological linguistics.

The next time I talk to him I'll ask him about the MOS.

Ahh...a smart Marine that actually got to do something he wanted to. Good for him.

Day1BroncoFan
05-20-2008, 10:16 AM
Ahh...a smart Marine that actually got to do something he wanted to. Good for him.

Yea, he's a lot smarter than me. I was a wheeled vehicle mechanic in the Army.

Davii
05-20-2008, 10:21 AM
Yea, he's a lot smarter than me. I was in the Army.

Edited for accuracy. ;)

claymore
05-20-2008, 10:22 AM

Make sure and go out and see him. It is a good time there. All kinds of stuff to do, great scenery, food art etc........ It will be a nice little vacation while seeing your son.

Day1BroncoFan
05-20-2008, 10:25 AM
Make sure and go out and see him. It is a good time there. All kinds of stuff to do, great scenery, food art etc........ It will be a nice little vacation while seeing your son.

Actually, I am planning on driving up there to visit him and then I will ride my bicycle back down the coast to Imperial Beach and have my wife pick me up.

We will spend the weekend up there and have a good time with him.

Davii
05-20-2008, 10:27 AM
Actually, I am planning on driving up there to visit him and then I will ride my bicycle back down the coast to Imperial Beach and have my wife pick me up.

We will spend the weekend up there and have a good time with him.

I lived in Imperial Beach when I was in junior high. The ride down the Silver Strand from Coronado is awesome. Especially if you get lucky enough to see the Navy Seals doing some training while you're riding.

CoachChaz
05-20-2008, 10:27 AM
Yea, he's a lot smarter than me. I was a wheeled vehicle mechanic in the Army.

I went into the Corps with an MOS to be an aircraft mechanic. Lucky me...I was a natural with a rifle and got sent to sniper school instead. Never fired a rifle prior to that.

So, instead of being bored as an aircraft mechanic that could make really good money...I had the excitement of being a sniper and now all I can do is kill a man from a mile away and bang the neighbors wife.

Davii
05-20-2008, 10:28 AM
I went into the Corps with an MOS to be an aircraft mechanic. Lucky me...I was a natural with a rifle and got sent to sniper school instead. Never fired a rifle prior to that.

So, instead of being bored as an aircraft mechanic that could make really good money...I had the excitement of being a sniper and now all I can do is kill a man from a mile away and bang the neighbors wife.

I bet the neighbor's wife is glad you're good with a rifle.

Day1BroncoFan
05-20-2008, 10:34 AM
I lived in Imperial Beach when I was in junior high. The ride down the Silver Strand from Coronado is awesome. Especially if you get lucky enough to see the Navy Seals doing some training while you're riding.

The only part that worries me is going through LA. I have heard some horror stories about that but everything comes with some risk.

I have drivin that strech but driving you don't really have time to enjoy the scenery. On a bike I can stop wherever I want and look. I would love to see some Navy Seals out there doing their thing. That would be a Kodak moment for sure.

CoachChaz
05-20-2008, 10:39 AM
I bet the neighbor's wife is glad you're good with a rifle.

At least she knows I have good aim.

spikerman
05-20-2008, 04:51 PM

I did my time at the Presidio in '86-'87. Beautiful place. A little bit expensive for an E-3, but I loved it there.

SR
05-20-2008, 10:16 PM

He and I have sent a few PMs back and forth. Also, my friend Erin was just there and he said now Kuwait has paid for wifi for the country, so no matter where you go in the country, you have state-sponsored wifi, which is cool. He said it's filtered so there's no pornography or anything like that, but you can get to the fantasy football sites, e-mail, myspace, etc. Just no porn.

SR
05-20-2008, 10:18 PM
Ali Al Salem is pretty nice. Before I was deployed to Qatar it was actually the nicest place I was ever deployed to. Chow was warm, tents were already set up, had a mini PX, and an MWR facility. Not bad at all, that was 10-11 years ago. An hour away from Doha, and real close to the Gulf War graveyard. Pretty neat to go to.

It takes about an hour and a half to get from Al Udeid to Ali Al Salem on a C-130, so I'm sure if you're on a C-17 or something else a little faster it would be a shorter trip. I actually prefer Salem over the Deid just because there are less people, it's all USAF (minus the LSA), and it's a lot more laid back.

ant1999e
05-21-2008, 10:59 AM
He and I have sent a few PMs back and forth. Also, my friend Erin was just there and he said now Kuwait has paid for wifi for the country, so no matter where you go in the country, you have state-sponsored wifi, which is cool. He said it's filtered so there's no pornography or anything like that, but you can get to the fantasy football sites, e-mail, myspace, etc. Just no porn.

So what you are saying is I can get internet anywhere on base? That's the shiznit.

SR
05-21-2008, 11:03 AM
So what you are saying is I can get internet anywhere on base? That's the shiznit.

Yeah. It used to be that you had to go to the building where the barber shop, coffee shop, and souveneir (sp?) shop is and they have LAN that you can hook up to but now there is wifi all over the place. When are you going to be there? I'm going there in October.

ant1999e
05-21-2008, 01:59 PM
Yeah. It used to be that you had to go to the building where the barber shop, coffee shop, and souveneir (sp?) shop is and they have LAN that you can hook up to but now there is wifi all over the place. When are you going to be there? I'm going there in October.

I'll be there in September. I'm Wing Safety so when you get there come by and see me. Maybe we'll be lucky enough to catch a Broncos game on AFN.

SR
05-21-2008, 04:04 PM
I'll be there in September. I'm Wing Safety so when you get there come by and see me. Maybe we'll be lucky enough to catch a Broncos game on AFN.

I've been deployed for part of every football season since the '04 season and they love to play Broncos games on AFN for some reason. I'll be working the line, so I'll probably miss out on quite a bit of football (and hockey) but if the timing is right we'll definitely have to catch a game together. I'll probably be TDY a lot too, but we'll figure something out.

Being wing safety, I'm sure you'll be out there for our birdstrikes, IFEs, ground emergencies, fuel spills, personnel injuries, etc. We'll definitely run in to each other. :laugh:

Coast Guard
05-21-2008, 05:12 PM
Ant1999e...I see you live in Omaha. That is probably going to be my #1 pick leaving here next year. What's it like in Omaha? I've heard good things.

Thanks.

ant1999e
05-21-2008, 05:24 PM
I've been deployed for part of every football season since the '04 season and they love to play Broncos games on AFN for some reason. I'll be working the line, so I'll probably miss out on quite a bit of football (and hockey) but if the timing is right we'll definitely have to catch a game together. I'll probably be TDY a lot too, but we'll figure something out.

Being wing safety, I'm sure you'll be out there for our birdstrikes, IFEs, ground emergencies, fuel spills, personnel injuries, etc. We'll definitely run in to each other. :laugh:

You guys are one of our biggest customers and that's not a good thing.

ant1999e
05-21-2008, 05:30 PM
Ant1999e...I see you live in Omaha. That is probably going to be my #1 pick leaving here next year. What's it like in Omaha? I've heard good things.

Thanks.

I love it here. It's a some what big city but still small. Good place to raise family. Winters are freezing cold and the wind blows like hell. The summers are hot and humid. I have lived here for a total of about 8 yrs. It was my first duty station back in '95 and I liked it so much I came back. They have the Qwest Center downtown with lots of big name bands appearing. The downtown is being reborn and growing with attractions. The College World Series is held here every year. We have a awesome zoo. It's a really nice place to live. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask me.

BMF Bronco
05-21-2008, 05:34 PM
and it's near the home of the Huskers!!!!!!!

ant1999e
05-22-2008, 08:30 AM
and it's near the home of the Huskers!!!!!!!

Trust me, they don't let you forget it. This is Huskers Nation.

BMF Bronco
05-22-2008, 10:38 AM
Ahh, the motherland!

SR
05-22-2008, 11:13 AM
You guys are one of our biggest customers and that's not a good thing.

Meh. Shit happens. Personally, I've only had to call safety out for a birdstrike once and a fuel spill once but the fuel spill was because of a right wing fuel dump valve that stuck open. No biggie.

ant1999e
05-22-2008, 11:33 AM
Meh. Shit happens. Personally, I've only had to call safety out for a birdstrike once and a fuel spill once but the fuel spill was because of a right wing fuel dump valve that stuck open. No biggie.

It's called job security for me. I work the ground side so you can have all the IFE's and bird strikes you want. I pass those on to the flight weenies.:plane:

Davii
05-22-2008, 11:35 AM
It's called job security for me. I work the ground side so you can have all the IFE's and bird strikes you want. I pass those on to the flight weenies.:plane:

So even AF guys call each other flight weenies?

:D I kid, I kid!

SR
05-22-2008, 11:47 AM
So even AF guys call each other flight weenies?

:D I kid, I kid!

On my side, we've got us maintainers, then there are the operators. We always make fun of the operators because, well, they're the ones that always **** up our shit. But yes, we make fun of each other too. It's no where near as fun as making fun of anyone in the Department of the Navy though. :D

Davii
05-22-2008, 11:49 AM
On my side, we've got us maintainers, then there are the operators. We always make fun of the operators because, well, they're the ones that always **** up our shit. But yes, we make fun of each other too. It's no where near as fun as making fun of anyone in the Department of the Navy though. :D

Just remember one thing: The Men's Department.

ant1999e
05-22-2008, 11:56 AM
Just remember one thing: The Men's Department.

Does the Navy still stitch their names on the back pocket of their pants? That's strange.:laugh:

Davii
05-22-2008, 11:56 AM
Does the Navy still stitch their names on the back pocket of their pants? That's strange.:laugh:

No idea. I'm not in the Navy. Probably on their dungarees though.

SR
05-22-2008, 11:59 AM
No idea. I'm not in the Navy. Probably on their dungarees though.

The Marines are part of the Department of the Navy.

Davii
05-22-2008, 12:01 PM
The Marines are part of the Department of the Navy.

Right, the Men's Department.

SR
05-22-2008, 12:10 PM
Right, the Men's Department.

Do you know why the Navy wears name tapes over their back pockets?

So the Marines know who they're......(don't wanna get banned)

Davii
05-22-2008, 12:14 PM
Do you know why the Navy wears name tapes over their back pockets?

So the Marines know who they're......(don't wanna get banned)

Common misconception. So the fat Air Force guys know who just ran by. Of course that running by would be during the the physical fitness test while the airman is on his bicycle.

BMF Bronco
05-22-2008, 12:16 PM
Common misconception. So the fat Air Force guys know who just ran by. Of course that running by would be during the the physical fitness test while the airman is on his bicycle.

Only because they have the IQ that enables them to ride said bicycle.

Davii
05-22-2008, 12:19 PM
Only because they have the IQ that enables them to ride said bicycle.

No argument there. That and the extra weight would be too brutal on their delicate frames.

Flatinum
05-22-2008, 12:21 PM
This is making news here, I don't know if it is there. Anyway FYI.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/toronto/story/2008/05/21/us-deserter.html?ref=rss

BMF Bronco
05-22-2008, 12:39 PM

Thanks for the link. Bring him on back, charge him as a deserter and lock him up. The military "lied" to him?! Dude, WTF do you think the military does you ******* moron?! I love how some of the comments on there are defending the guy for his cowardice. Regardless of your opinion on the war, you know what you're getting into when you raise your right hand and say that oath. I would love to see how many of those who left a comment on that page have served any time in the military! Ugh, that pisses me off, sorry! :mad:

Davii
05-22-2008, 12:40 PM

Good for Canada! Glad to hear they will deport the slime ball.

Flatinum
05-22-2008, 01:22 PM
Thanks for the link. Bring him on back, charge him as a deserter and lock him up. The military "lied" to him?! Dude, WTF do you think the military does you ******* moron?! I love how some of the comments on there are defending the guy for his cowardice. Regardless of your opinion on the war, you know what you're getting into when you raise your right hand and say that oath. I would love to see how many of those who left a comment on that page have served any time in the military! Ugh, that pisses me off, sorry! :mad:

There's alot of bleeding heart tree huggers up here. But there are also many who support the military, both Canadian and US. My wife's kid brother is in Afganistan right now fighting for our rights and freedom.

Buff
11-08-2008, 01:01 PM
Just got done watching an HBO special called "Section 60: Arlington National Cemetary"

SECTION 60: ARLINGTON NATIONAL CEMETERY provides rare, intimate glimpses of the loss, love and pride felt by Section 60 visitors, underscoring the human toll exacted by the military conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan, while honoring those who sacrificed their lives for their country. Jon Alpert and Matthew O'Neill capture the sights and sounds of this quiet pocket of Arlington National Cemetery, where families and friends grieve, honor, remember and find comfort and community with others who share profound loss. A reverent snapshot of the ever-expanding Section 60, the film comprises vignettes shot from early morning to sundown.

Mourners ranging from young widows and family members to fiances and fellow soldiers visit Section 60 to try and connect in spiritual and physical ways with the loved ones they've lost. The parents of a Muslim serviceman tell how they moved to the U.S. 25 years earlier to pursue the freedoms for which their son died. A group of mourners mark the anniversary of a soldier's death by playing a patriotic country ballad on a boom box. A father camps out on his son's grave with a quilt, a bottle of bourbon, and one of two "Iraqi freedom cigars" his son had sent from Iraq, with the promise to smoke it on his return. The sister of a fallen soldier calls Section 60 "one of the most honorable places in America."

SECTION 60: ARLINGTON NATIONAL CEMETERY originated when HBO's Sheila Nevins called Paula Zwillinger, the mother of a young soldier who died in "Baghdad ER," on the anniversary of her son's death - and learned she was at Arlington visiting his grave. Nevins felt that the cemetery could provide a fitting coda to HBO's previous Iraq documentaries and enlisted Jon Alpert and Matthew O'Neill to contact Armed Services officials. Granted extraordinary access to the site, Alpert and O'Neill "embedded" themselves into the fabric of daily life in Section 60, capturing landscapes, families, friends and officials. Over the course of four months in 2007, they filmed on a daily basis, earning the trust of families who shared some of their most personal moments.

Since the Civil War, Arlington National Cemetery has been the nation's preeminent burial ground for military personnel. Over 300,000 people are buried in an area of more than 600 acres, including veterans from all the nation's wars. Funerals average 28 a day, with about 6,400 burials annually. Nearly four million people visit Arlington each year.

It's a pretty powerful show. Seeing these guys' kids and wives and parents who lost husbands and fathers and sons kind of puts things in perspective. I recommend everyone give it a watch because whatever description I give doesn't really do it justice.

GEM
11-10-2008, 11:50 AM
Just got done watching an HBO special called "Section 60: Arlington National Cemetary"

It's a pretty powerful show. Seeing these guys' kids and wives and parents who lost husbands and fathers and sons kind of puts things in perspective. I recommend everyone give it a watch because whatever description I give doesn't really do it justice.

We went by Fort Logan for a football game a few weeks ago and my 10 year old asked why there were so many white tombstones, when I explained it to her she had tears in her eyes. I was very proud of her at that moment. Going by there and seeing the thousands of tombstones, if you don't feel something for those men and women, there is definately something wrong with you.

SR
11-10-2008, 01:29 PM
You'd be surprised at the amount of people that could drive by something like that and not feel a thing.

BMF Bronco
11-10-2008, 02:00 PM
Just a quick word of thanks out to all my fellow veterans on this eve of Veteran's Day. :salute:

SR
11-10-2008, 06:22 PM
Thanks man.

Spiritguy
11-23-2008, 12:25 AM
Feel a bit like an old dog having read some of the stories on this thread. :D

enlisted USN in 77. Gave Uncle Sam 8 years active in Personnel (PN1/E6). Spent some time in the Phillippines, Guam and the sub base in WA state.

:salute: to those serving and those who have served.

SR
11-23-2008, 01:03 AM
I'm thinking about re-enlisting for another six years.

Davii
11-23-2008, 01:55 AM
I'm thinking about re-enlisting for another six years.

I'm not altogether surprised to hear that to be honest...

So what's making you think about sticking around?

SR
11-23-2008, 02:01 AM
I'm not altogether surprised to hear that to be honest...

So what's making you think about sticking around?

I don't know. I'm conflicted. I want to re-enlist, but I don't want to serve under a Democrat President. I want to stay in because my job is the poop. I just got offered a 60-day trip to Germany. I've been offered a trip to Vegas and another one to Florida. All three within the past two weeks. I turned down the Germany trip though because I want to be home for my son's birthday on Dec 19th. As a first termer, I am entitled to a BOP (Base of Preference) so I'm going to go to the assignments office next week and put in my application to go to either Luke AFB in the Phoenix area or Davis-Monthan in Tucson so I can be closer to my son. I'd like to stay on C-130s, so DM would be good for me. But working fighters (F-16s) at Luke would be cool and I'd be 10 minutes from my son. My son is going to make my mind for me. I want to be close to him. If I can't get my BOP, I will get out of active duty and join the ANG unit at Sky Harbor International in Phoenix and work full time as a technician on the KC-135s they have there. The only shitty thing is, if I get my BOP, is there is a chance I could get PCSed to another base half way through my re-enlistment and get taken away from my son again. I dunno. We'll see. I need to do some thinking.

Davii
11-23-2008, 02:07 AM
I don't know. I'm conflicted. I want to re-enlist, but I don't want to serve under a Democrat President. I want to stay in because my job is the poop. I just got offered a 60-day trip to Germany. I've been offered a trip to Vegas and another one to Florida. All three within the past two weeks. I turned down the Germany trip though because I want to be home for my son's birthday on Dec 19th. As a first termer, I am entitled to a BOP (Base of Preference) so I'm going to go to the assignments office next week and put in my application to go to either Luke AFB in the Phoenix area or Davis-Monthan in Tucson so I can be closer to my son. I'd like to stay on C-130s, so DM would be good for me. But working fighters (F-16s) at Luke would be cool and I'd be 10 minutes from my son. My son is going to make my mind for me. I want to be close to him. If I can't get my BOP, I will get out of active duty and join the ANG unit at Sky Harbor International in Phoenix and work full time as a technician on the KC-135s they have there. The only shitty thing is, if I get my BOP, is there is a chance I could get PCSed to another base half way through my re-enlistment and get taken away from my son again. I dunno. We'll see. I need to do some thinking.

Don't let the Democrat CIC factor into your decision. You know as well as I do you work for your CO and the men in your immediate shop. Things were certainly different under Clinton, and things will change again, but more the funding side of things. Other than that, you're still an Airman turning wrenches.

Give it a lot of thought and do what's right for you. Talk to some of your fellow Airmen. How many do you know that got out and came back in a year later because they missed it so much?

I know that's a recurring theme in the Marines.

SR
11-23-2008, 02:16 AM
Don't let the Democrat CIC factor into your decision. You know as well as I do you work for your CO and the men in your immediate shop. Things were certainly different under Clinton, and things will change again, but more the funding side of things. Other than that, you're still an Airman turning wrenches.

Give it a lot of thought and do what's right for you. Talk to some of your fellow Airmen. How many do you know that got out and came back in a year later because they missed it so much?

I know that's a recurring theme in the Marines.

As a matter of fact, we have one guy, SSgt Reyes, who was out for a year and came back in. Super good dude too. We had another guy, who was my first supervisor when I got here in '04, SSgt Gabeaux, who got out, got his CDL, hated driving trucks, and came back in and went to Germany on a long tour. A lot of people want out, but they brought re-enlistment bonuses back for my career field. I'm thinking about deploying in Feb and re-enlisting while I'm there so I can get my bonus tax free. :D

But then again, I get tired of the bullshit too though. Is this something I want to do for the next 15 years until I can retire? I mean, if I re-enlist for six more years (which I would have to to get the bonus), that would give me 12 years total TIS and it would be pointless to get out after 12. But then again, I've got knee problems that require an MEB if I have surgery, which I'll need to. The pros outweigh the cons, minus the possibility of having to spend time away from my son. Of course, if I could go to Luke or DM, I'd be coming back HOME after deployments, which would be nice, and I could stockpile leave like a mother******. I need to talk to my First Sergeant about it and see what he says. He's good people.

I almost called you today, by the way.

Davii
11-23-2008, 02:20 AM
As a matter of fact, we have one guy, SSgt Reyes, who was out for a year and came back in. Super good dude too. We had another guy, who was my first supervisor when I got here in '04, SSgt Gabeaux, who got out, got his CDL, hated driving trucks, and came back in and went to Germany on a long tour. A lot of people want out, but they brought re-enlistment bonuses back for my career field. I'm thinking about deploying in Feb and re-enlisting while I'm there so I can get my bonus tax free. :D

But then again, I get tired of the bullshit too though. Is this something I want to do for the next 15 years until I can retire? I mean, if I re-enlist for six more years (which I would have to to get the bonus), that would give me 12 years total TIS and it would be pointless to get out after 12. But then again, I've got knee problems that require an MEB if I have surgery, which I'll need to. The pros outweigh the cons, minus the possibility of having to spend time away from my son. Of course, if I could go to Luke or DM, I'd be coming back HOME after deployments, which would be nice, and I could stockpile leave like a mother******. I need to talk to my First Sergeant about it and see what he says. He's good people.

I almost called you today, by the way.

You can call me anytime man, the phones always on.

Six more ranks means climbing higher in the food chain and less BS, sort of. It really just turns into different BS, but it's not bad at all.

SR
11-23-2008, 02:24 AM
Six more ranks would have me out of the enlisted rank structure. I'm an E-5. ;)

The bullshit I have to deal with now is just immense. I supervise three younger kids and have four more on the way. So I have all that to deal with on top of my job. It just wears on me.

Davii
11-23-2008, 02:26 AM
Six more ranks would have me out of the enlisted rank structure. I'm an E-5. ;)

The bullshit I have to deal with now is just immense. I supervise three younger kids and have four more on the way. So I have all that to deal with on top of my job. It just wears on me.

Ranks.... damn i'm tired. Long day. Before too long supervising and training them will be your job.

SR
11-23-2008, 02:31 AM
That's pretty much my job now. When I get dropped off on a plane, it's with young guys that only know how to do specific parts of specific tasks, so it's up to the more experienced mechanics like me to teach them the other stuff. Like inspections for example. On our BPO/PR (Basic Post Flight/Preflight) combo inspections, we have to open up the engine cowlings and check the magnetic plugs for resistance (metal shavings) with a multimeter. A lot of the young guys ONLY know how to do that. They don't know the specific parts of the motor. They don't know how to service the starter or the props, or even what to inspect or look for when they're doing their zonal inspection. So a lot of times, if I have the time, I'll hop up on the stand with them and show them what they're looking for. Half of our young guys only know what looks "normal", so when they see something that looks out of the norm, they know it's not right, but they don't know what it is or why it's not right, they just know it's not supposed to be like that. All I really do is supervise and train. And that's not me. I like to be out there doing the inspections and doing the tasks by myself, unless they require more people. I would rather inspect the plane myself and know the inspection is good than have one young guy inside inspecting and another inspecting the gears or whatever because in the end I'm the one signing the inpsection off saying it's good and it's my ass on the line if anything is wrong and not written up.

Flatinum
12-10-2008, 02:16 PM
You could easily insert "American Soldier" as well.

The Night Before Christmas

T'was the night before Christmas,
He lived all alone,
In a one bedroom house,
Made of plaster and stone.

I had come down the chimney,
With presents to give,
And to see just who,
In this home did live.

I looked all about,
A strange sight I did see,
No tinsel, no presents,
Not even a tree.

No stocking by the mantle,
Just boots filled with sand,
On the wall hung pictures,
Of far distant lands.

With medals and badges,
Awards of all kinds,
A sober thought,
Came through my mind.

For this house was different,
It was dark and dreary,
I found the home of a soldier,
Once I could see clearly.

The soldier lay sleeping,
Silent, alone,
Curled up on the floor,
In this one bedroom home.

The face was so gentle,
The room in such disorder,
Not how I pictured,
A Canadian soldier.

Was this the hero,
Of whom I'd just read?,
Curled up on a poncho,
The floor for a bed?

I realized the families,
That I saw this night,
Owed their lives to these soldiers,
Who were willing to fight.

Soon round the world,
The children would play,
And grownups would celebrate,
A bright Christmas Day.

They all enjoyed freedom,
Each month of the year,
Because of the soldiers,
Like the one lying here.

I couldn't help wonder,
How many lay alone,
On a cold Christmas Eve,
In a land far from home.

The very thought brought
A tear to my eye,
I dropped to my knees,
And started to cry.

The soldier awakened,
And I heard a rough voice,
'Santa, don't cry.
This life is my choice.

I fight for freedom,
I don't ask for more,
My life is my God,
My country, my corps.'

The soldier rolled over,
And drifted to sleep,
I couldn't control it,
I continued to weep.

I kept watch for hours,
So silent and still,
And we both shivered,
From the cold night's chill.

I didn't want to leave,
On that cold, dark night,
This guardian of honour,
So willing to fight.

Then the soldier rolled over,
With a voice, soft and pure,
Whispered, 'Carry on Santa,
It's Christmas Day, all is secure.'

One look at my watch,
And I knew he was right,
'Merry Christmas my friend,
And to all a good night.'

This poem was written by a peace keeping soldier stationed overseas.

sneakers
12-14-2008, 06:26 AM
Are Guerrillas when captured still considered prisoners of war (even though they may not have a visiable weapon or uniform)?

SR
12-14-2008, 11:49 AM
No. They are only POWs if they belong to a uniformed military recognized by a country as their military. Militias, guerrilla forces, etc, don't apply.

kcvet
04-12-2009, 09:10 PM
sea power (sea power)

Navy Seals Kill Pirates, Rescue American Hostage

Arlington, Va. -- Captain Richard Phillips is now safe and healthy aboard the USS Boxer after Navy Seals launched a rescue attempt that ended when snipers killed three pirates in three shots, all direct hits to the head.

:D :beer:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/img/story/041209_captain.jpg
April 12, 2009: In this photo released by the U.S. Navy, Maersk-Alabama Capt. Richard Phillips, right, shakes hands with Lt. Cmdr. David Fowler, executive officer of USS Bainbridge after being rescued by U.S Naval Forces off the coast of Somalia.

source (source)

LTC Pain
04-30-2009, 01:09 PM
Enlisted in Army January 1983

Commissioned May 1985

Active Duty Oct 1987 - September 2007

Retired 30 Sep 2007

Now working as a Logistics Planner for a defense contractor in Colorado Springs

I miss soldiers and HUA but not PT or deployments :laugh:

claymore
04-30-2009, 01:15 PM
Enlisted in Army January 1983

Commissioned May 1985

Active Duty Oct 1987 - September 2007

Retired 30 Sep 2007

Now working as a Logistics Planner for a defense contractor in Colorado Springs

I miss soldiers and HUA but not PT or deployments :laugh:

I miss getting paid to work out, and shoot guns. I hated PT tests for whatever reason.

Dreadnought
04-30-2009, 01:18 PM
I miss getting paid to work out, and shoot guns. I hated PT tests for whatever reason.

With God as my witness I am done with running. The most boring thing possible to do

claymore
04-30-2009, 01:21 PM
With God as my witness I am done with running. The most boring thing possible to do

I like running when I am in shape. I hated ruck marching in formation. I liked it when it was an individual event and you could run it.

SR
04-30-2009, 01:23 PM
Running sucks, hence my choice of Branch.

claymore
04-30-2009, 01:25 PM
Running sucks, hence my choice of Branch.

You guys gotta run now! Hahahaha!

SR
05-01-2009, 03:33 PM
You guys gotta run now! Hahahaha!

We've had to run ever since I came in. Right when I came in is when the whole "lets get serious about PT because the AF is full of a bunch of fat ****s" started happening. I'm in shape. I pass my PT test every year. The system is flawed though. Your ENTIRE test is dependent on your "abdominal circumference" and your BMI. Which, for me, I max out on points for my waist and for BMI so I don't have to run as hard or do as many sit ups/push ups, but for others it makes it a little less fair. Like if a dude is just big and cut up and in shape, but has a 37" abdominal circumference (across your belly button and over the top of your hip bones...), he's gonna have to max out points for sit ups, push ups and the run just to over come the points he lost on his AC measurement. It's dumb.

Dreadnought
05-03-2009, 05:58 PM
I felt damned old yesterday. I went with my brother to see his son receive a leadership and Academic excellence award from his RPI ROTC detachment, and we were both pretty proud. He will commission next year. What blew me away was that these 'kids' will be making life and death decisions within the Year, and if the past teaches us anything, most of them will be equal to the challenge. A remarkable bunch of young people from all branches.

If they are smart they will let their NCO's teach them their business too, but most probably will

I wasn't old enough to hang with the guys in the VFW and Legion hats, but ill, I'm closer in age to those guys than these new officers

Day1BroncoFan
09-24-2009, 01:51 PM
My son is graduating from the MLI next month. I'll be going to Monterey to see the ceremony. He will go to Texas for 3 months then to his Permanent duty station.

Pretty cool.

:rockon:

claymore
09-24-2009, 01:58 PM
My son is graduating from the MLI next month. I'll be going to Monterey to see the ceremony. He will go to Texas for 3 months then to his Permanent duty station.

Pretty cool.

You mean DLI or did the change it?

Day1BroncoFan
09-24-2009, 02:09 PM
You mean DLI or did the change it?

Yea, DLI. I was thinking military instead of defense.

claymore
09-24-2009, 02:14 PM
Yea, DLI. I was thinking military instead of defense.

How long wass he there? I love that place. If I was rich, thats where Id live.

Day1BroncoFan
09-24-2009, 02:20 PM
He will have been there for about 18 or so months by the time he graduates.

Monterey has crappy weather at least right on the coast. When I was there last year in July the weather right in Monterey was cool and foggy. If you go inland a few miles it would be in the high 70's low 80's range and sunny.

The coastal weather is perfect for biking, no sun and cool.

Lonestar
09-24-2009, 03:01 PM
Do not know How I missed this thread but did..

Joined the Naval reserve as a Junior in HS, not ROTC but the actual reserves ..

decided that I was going to have to be in for 6 years might as well get a head start on it..

all of my friends thought I was nuts.. but it gave me gas money for the 1 night a week and 1 Weekend a month..

by the time I graduated from HS I was already a E-2 and getting ready for E-3 test.. and they were all asking me how to get in because most of them were starting to get draft notices..

I was based at the reserve center on 6th ave out west..
it was at the time a communications center and thus I was striking for becoming a CT.

My older brother had been in Submarines for 8 years or so at the time and told me to sign up for Sub School as it was the way to go IF you were going to have to be at sea..

I had orders to the USS Pueblo and was about 2 weeks out from having to report to her when my Sub School orders came through had it not been for that I would have been on her when she was captured by the N Koreans..

Went to Sub school and then came back to DEN until I got orders to a Boat.. which came in Jan 67 reported aboard the USS Bang SS-385 that was being overhauled in Philly naval Ship yard.. reported aboard and shifted my specialty to ETR.. we then moved back to New London, CT.

Did several San Juan and St johns cruises doing ASW work ups with the skimmers not sure how many times we fired dummy warheads into several Air craft carriers..

We were on a northern Atlantic run when the Pueblo was captured.. We thought we was at war for a day or so until we got into waters where we could stick up a radio mast and listen to what was really going on..

I had been acted to go to Nuclear power school when we made our Mediterranean run in JUL-DEC of 68. While on that run I determined that my Captain was a total dick and I would be happier in civilian life.. that One man should not have that much power over men..

when they decided that they needed to cut costs and offered early outs for reservists I bailed out the minute we got back to N LON.... the ETR guy on the Boat our Boat replaced in the MED was at the reserve center in DEN when I got home he asked me if I wanted to attend meetings I said NO and got my discharge papers a few years later..

I got to see the world albeit from a periscope from time to time got a neat picture of a Russian woman hanging clothes thru a periscope some where.. but It was a great time for the most part.. I only found out there are total DICKS in civilian life after getting back to DEN.. Should have stayed in and gotten my pension instead.. say la vie

I salute all that have served and all those that are or might..:salute:

GEM
09-24-2009, 03:34 PM
Davii leaves today on a 7 mos deployment. Best wishes and come home safely, Marine. :salute: :hug:

Day1BroncoFan
09-24-2009, 03:44 PM
Davii leaves today on a 7 mos deployment. Best wishes and come home safely, Marine. :salute: :hug:

Semper Fi Davii. :salute:

SR
09-24-2009, 05:54 PM
AZ and I both have Davii's e-mail address. If anyone wants to contact him, shoot me a PM and I'll give you his contact info.

Requiem / The Dagda
09-24-2009, 06:30 PM
Godspeed to Davii and all his fellow Marines. All of our servicemen and ladies. :salute:

claymore
09-24-2009, 06:38 PM

I wish him good food, and a shot of good poon. God Speed Davii!

Day1BroncoFan
09-30-2009, 10:17 AM
I'm off today to Monterey. I will attend my son's graduation ceremony tomorrow. I'm excited, does it show?

Day1BroncoFan
09-30-2009, 10:10 PM
I'm in Monterey the ceremony is tomorrow at 9:00. High speed Internet at the hotel. :D

Denver Native (Carol)
09-30-2009, 10:24 PM

Best wishes Davii and stay safe :salute:

God Bless

pnbronco
11-10-2009, 02:07 AM
The half time ceremony was wonderful at the game tonight. I had tears in my eyes most of the ceremony.

Thank you one and all that have or are serving our country. We have our freedom because of you, God Bless each and everyone one of you....:salute:

missingnumber7
12-18-2009, 03:59 PM
The half time ceremony was wonderful at the game tonight. I had tears in my eyes most of the ceremony.

Thank you one and all that have or are serving our country. We have our freedom because of you, God Bless each and everyone one of you....:salute:

That one ranked 2nd best ever for me. The best was thanksgiving, watching the families have the video conference live from the 50 yard line...the wife and I were both in tears.

AlWilsonizKING
12-18-2009, 05:11 PM
Went to the xmas party out at Buckley Air Force Base this past Friday. Not really my type of crowd, but it was fun to see the top commanders shaking thier stuff and acting a fool for a change.

PEACE!!!

GEM
12-18-2009, 05:48 PM

I sent Davii an email before Thanksgiving and got a response. He's doing well and even got to watch the Thanksgiving game. :D Anywho, just wanted to let everyone know about our deployed Marine. :salute:

AlWilsonizKING
12-18-2009, 06:01 PM
Oh yeah, in April I will be attending my Grandfathers ceremony at Arlington National Cemetary. He was a B-24 pilot in WWII.

R.I.P. John Charles Macgill II (http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/baltimore-county/bal-md.ob.co.macgill03nov03,0,2790677.story)

"While flying a B-17 bomber on a mission, an engine was hit by flak and set afire, causing the airplane to lose altitude and be flipped on its back and into a spin by the propeller wash from the bomber in front," said his nephew, J. Wistar "Pete" Huey III of Ellicott City.

In order to stop the spin and in an effort to extinguish the flames and save the damaged wing, Mr. Macgill dove straight down some 10,000 feet, his nephew recalled.

"He leveled out having been successful in putting out the engine fire, only to be jumped by several German fighter planes, which caused additional damage," Mr. Huey said.

"Just as he was about to give the order to jump while there was still sufficient altitude to do so, the fighters disappeared, scared off by two P-51 Mustangs, who then escorted the crippled B-17 as far as the English Channel," Mr. Huey said.

Through his flying skills and with more than a little good luck, Mr. Macgill was able to fly the severely damaged plane across the English Channel before crash landing in England.

"The entire crew survived with only minor injuries," his nephew said.

For his courageous exploits, Mr. Macgill was decorated with the Distinguished Flying Cross for "extreme gallantry in combat."

Discharged with the rank of lieutenant at war's end, Mr. Macgill's other wartime decorations included six Air Medals and two Air Force Commendation Medals.

PEACE!!!

MileHighCrew
12-18-2009, 08:27 PM
I am a Canadian Forces photographer. You can see some of my work http://www.forceaerienne.forces.gc.ca/v2/netpub/index-eng.asp?mode=1&value=mellin I have just entered my 8th year active service

SR
12-19-2009, 07:23 AM
Arlington is awesome dude. You'll really enjoy it there.

pnbronco
01-19-2010, 05:51 AM
I've been reading about all the help that the military is doing in Haiti with the food drops, safety and medical aid. I just want to thank all our military people for just being there when life is at our worst....:salute:

T.K.O.
01-19-2010, 05:08 PM
The real Miss America.
This 19 year old ex-cheerleader (now an Air Force Security Forces Sniper) was watching a road that led to a NATO military base when she observed a man digging by the road. She engaged the target (i.e., she shot him). It turned out he was a bomb maker for the Taliban, and he was burying an IED that was to be detonated when a US patrol walked by 30 minutes later. It would have certainly killed and wounded several soldiers.
The interesting fact of this story is the shot was measured at 725 yards. She shot him as he was bent over burying the bomb. The shot went through his butt and into the bomb which detonated; he was blown to pieces. The Air Force made a motivational poster of her: http://kit.thevoice.name/pics/sniper.jpg

(Folks, that's a shot 25 yards longer than seven football fields!)
And the last thing that came out of his mouth ... was his ass!
If You Can Not Stand Behind Our Troops,
please Feel Free To Stand In Front Of Them!

T.K.O.
02-10-2010, 05:10 PM
evryone should watch this amazing story about an amazing act of heroism and bravery.....i was stunned :salute:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZ7968BbMnU

GEM
03-02-2010, 12:15 AM
I saw this and thought of some our Marines here on the board.

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f334/nicole0702/profiles_usmc_3506_606328_media.jpg

Lonestar
03-06-2010, 05:16 PM
JUst found this site.

This Boat was the USS Pampanito SS 383. It is on display in SFO near pier 39.

I was on the USS Bang SS 385 two boats away from mine. Which was given/sold to Spain in the early 70's.

This is a great site; you can get a 360 degree look at every compartment. The boat has been beautifully restored/preserved.

http://www.nonplused.org/panos/uss_pampanito/index.html

Enjoy it brought back memeoires for me.

They also have a Boat and Sub museum Next to the Pearl Harbor National Park. Should you ever be in Hawaii.

Lonestar
03-06-2010, 05:24 PM
evryone should watch this amazing story about an amazing act of heroism and bravery.....i was stunned :salute:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZ7968BbMnU

Yep that is a great one.

SR
03-07-2010, 10:18 AM
I'll be getting my introduction to the B-1 tomorrow.

Lonestar
03-07-2010, 11:53 AM
I'll be getting my introduction to the B-1 tomorrow.

Treat her well:salute:

SR
03-07-2010, 04:53 PM
I dunno what to make of it to be honest. I kinda miss the Herk already.

Skinny
05-03-2010, 04:44 PM
Sniper kills Qaeda-from 1˝ mi. away (http://www.nypost.com/p/news/international/sniper_kills_qaeda_from_mi_away_sTm0xFUmJNal3HgWlm EgRL)

By LUKAS I. ALPERT
May 2, 2010

It was silent but deadly.

A British sniper set a world sharpshooting record by taking out two Taliban soldiers in Afghanistan from more than a mile and a half away -- a distance so great, experts say the terrorists wouldn't have even heard the shots.

Craig Harrison killed the two insurgents from an astounding distance of 8,120 feet -- or 1.54 miles -- in Helmand Province last November firing an Accuracy International L11583 long-range rifle.

"The first round hit a machine-gunner in the stomach and killed him outright," said Harrison, a corporal of horse in the British Army's Household Cavalry, the equivalent of a sergeant in the American military.

"The second insurgent grabbed the weapon and turned as my second shot hit him in the side. He went down, too," Harrison told the Sunday Times of London.

The shots -- measured via GPS -- surpassed the previous record held by Canadian Army Cpl. Rob Furlong, who killed an al Qaeda gunman from 7,972 feet in 2002.

Harrison's shots were roughly equal to the distance between the Statue of Liberty and Battery Park.

Experts called Harrison's sharp shooting as perfect as it gets.

"When you are shooting that far, if you miss by a hair, you miss by a mile," said John Plaster, a retired US Army sharp-shooting instructor and author of "The Ultimate Sniper." "That is about as precise as any marksmen on the planet could shoot."

He said Harrison's targets likely never knew what was coming.

"At a distance like that they cannot even see anyone and they would not even hear the muzzle report," Plaster said.

Harrison, who fired the bullets while his colleagues were under fire, said perfect weather helped him nail the perfect shot.

"[There was] no wind, mild weather, clear visibility," he said.

Harrison learned of his record nine days ago, when he returned to England. In the weeks after his record shot, he suffered a minor gunshot wound and broke his arms when his vehicle hit a roadside bomb.

MileHighCrew
05-03-2010, 04:50 PM
My family and I are posted this year. We are moving from Winnipeg Manitoba to Trenton Ontario, about an hour east of Toronto. Looking forward to a new challenge

milehigh
05-03-2010, 06:14 PM
I go to Camp Pendleton January 3rd to start boot.

MileHighCrew
05-03-2010, 06:23 PM

:salute: give it your best and remember it is a game, they are going to lose it on you no matter what you do. It doesn't matter how hard you fall, it is how you pick yourself up that counts. :salute: Good luck

Dreadnought
05-03-2010, 06:47 PM

Good man, and thanks. You will emerge better for the experience, I promise you. Listen to MHC - he's an NCO, which might as well be Gods where you are headed.

MileHighCrew
05-03-2010, 07:09 PM
Good man, and thanks. You will emerge better for the experience, I promise you. Listen to MHC - he's an NCO, which might as well be Gods where you are headed.

Thanks, it is true as far as that goes LOL. mighhigh, I am happy to share as a former recruit instructor, also this is a great place, a lot of military knowledge on this site.

One more thing, I don`t want to brag but I am proud to share I am being promoted to Sergeant (yes we spell it that way) from Master Corporal in June. I am not sure the American rank for this, but it is a huge step in Canada, out of the junior ranks now a senior NCO.

Dreadnought
05-03-2010, 07:16 PM
Thanks, it is true as far as that goes LOL. mighhigh, I am happy to share as a former recruit instructor, also this is a great place, a lot of military knowledge on this site.

One more thing, I don`t want to brag but I am proud to share I am being promoted to Sergeant (yes we spell it that way) from Master Corporal in June. I am not sure the American rank for this, but it is a huge step in Canada, out of the junior ranks now a senior NCO.

The best way to draw a parallel is to compare jobs. In a U.S. Army Rifle platoon the Platoon Sargeant is an E-7 (Sargeant First Class), with 3 Squad leader E-6's (Staff Sargeants), and each Squad has 2 E-5 Sargeants as team leaders. In each case its not uncommon for the NCO to be of a rank less than the MTOE calls for. Back in my day Mech Infantry was organized a bit differently, and had different organizations depending on whther you were equipped with Bradley IFV's or ol' school M-113's.

The USMC is itself different of course. They're plenty tough, though some say (not me of course) that they aren't all that bright...

MileHighCrew
05-03-2010, 07:24 PM
As a sergeant I have a platoon of 60 persons under my command. The next level for me will put me in charge of 3 platoons of 60.

milehigh
05-03-2010, 07:29 PM
I appreciate the wishes. My whole family is in the military and they are pretty excited for me. My dad is an ex-marine, now he is a Senior Chief in the navy. My brother is a MCT Instructor at Camp Pendleton and my other brother is an Lieutenant (O-2) in the Navy currently on USS Mesa Verde chasing pirates off the African coast.

Boot Camp can't get here soon enough, I just want to get it over with. Not too worried about the physical part as I am in pretty good shape, but the mental aspect.

Dreadnought
05-03-2010, 08:09 PM
As a sergeant I have a platoon of 60 persons under my command. The next level for me will put me in charge of 3 platoons of 60.

OK, that basically makes you a Sargeant First Class by our standards - and yes, a fearsome and respected Senior NCO. Same rank as Davii

Davii
05-03-2010, 08:10 PM
I appreciate the wishes. My whole family is in the military and they are pretty excited for me. My dad is an ex-marine, now he is a Senior Chief in the navy. My brother is a MCT Instructor at Camp Pendleton and my other brother is an Lieutenant (O-2) in the Navy currently on USS Mesa Verde chasing pirates off the African coast.

Boot Camp can't get here soon enough, I just want to get it over with. Not too worried about the physical part as I am in pretty good shape, but the mental aspect.

Best of luck to you MHC. It's a challenge, but you will certainly come out a better man.

Just a couple quick things for you. You'll be going to Recruit Training at Marine Corps Recruit Depot San Diego. The Recruit Depot adjoins the San Diego Airport, so it's basically downtown San Diego, although you'll never see it except from afar.

Camp Pendleton is a little over an hour drive north from where you'll be in Recruit Training. However, you will bus up to Pendleton for the rifle range and other field training.

Sounds like a great family you have there, you should be proud of all of them. Just remember one thing, your Dad is a former Marine. There are very few "ex" Marines, one of which is Lee Harvey Oswald.

Davii
05-03-2010, 08:18 PM
OK, that basically makes you a Sargeant First Class by our standards - and yes, a fearsome and respected Senior NCO. Same rank as Davii

Dread, you know the love I have for you my friend, so i'm willing to let the Army association slide this time, next time though I might have to fly to New York. :laugh:

Gunnery Sergeant of Marines. :D Same rate, but not the same rank. :salute:

:beer:

No offense to any Soldiers that might be around... You know how it is though.

Dreadnought
05-03-2010, 08:41 PM
Dread, you know the love I have for you my friend, so i'm willing to let the Army association slide this time, next time though I might have to fly to New York. :laugh:

Gunnery Sergeant of Marines. :D Same rate, but not the same rank. :salute:

:beer:

No offense to any Soldiers that might be around... You know how it is though.

Thats what I meant. E-7 by any other name

Lonestar
05-07-2010, 04:15 PM
The following article was written by DR. JOYCE BROTHERS in 1963, shortly
after the loss of the THRESHER.

SUB SERVICE, WHY THEY ARE THE WAY THEY ARE AND WHY
THEY BEHAVE THAT WAY RISK IS AN INSPIRATION IN THE SUBMARINE SERVICE
The tragic loss of the submarine THRESHER and 129 men had a special kind
of impact on the nation, a special kind of sadness, mixed with universal
admiration for the men who choose this type of work.

One could not mention the THRESHER without observing, in the same breath,
how utterly final and alone the end is when a ship dies at the bottom of
the sea, and what a remarkable specimen of a man it must be to accept such a risk.

Most of us might be moved to conclude, too, that a tragedy of this kind
would have a damaging effect on the moral of the other men in the
submarine service and tend to discourage future enlistments. Actually,
there is no evidence that this is so.

What is it, then, that lures men to careers in which they spend so much of
their time in cramped quarters, under great psychological stress, with
danger lurking all about them?

BOND AMONG THEM
Togetherness is an overworked term, but in no other branch of our military
service is it given such full meaning as in the so-called "SILENT
SERVICE."

In an undersea craft, each man is totally dependent upon the skill of
every other man in the crew, not only for top performance but for actual
survival.
Each knows that his very life depends on the others and because this is
so, there is a bond among them that both challenges and comforts them.
All of this gives the submariner a special feeling of pride, because he is
indeed a member an elite corp. The risks, then, are an inspiration,
rather than a deterrent.

The challenge of masculinity is another factor which attracts men to serve
on submarines. It certainly is a test of man's prowess and power to know
he can qualify for this highly selective service. However, it should be
emphasized that this desire to prove masculinity is not pathological, as
it might be in certain daredevil pursuits, such as driving a motorcycle
through a flaming hoop.

EMOTIONALLY HEALTHY

There is nothing dare devilish about the motivations of the man who decides
to dedicate his life to the SUBMARINE SERVICE. He does, indeed, take
pride in demonstrating that he is quite a man, but he does not do so to
practice a form of foolhardy brinksmanship, to see how close he can get to
failure and still snatch victory from the jaws of defeat.
On the contrary, the aim in the SUBMARINE SERVICE is to battle the
danger, to minimize the risk, to take every measure to make certain that
safety rather than danger, is maintained at all times.
Are the men in SUBMARINES braver than those in other pursuits where the
possibility of sudden tragedy is not constant? The glib answer would be
that they are. It is much more accurate, from a psychological point of
view, to say they are not necessarily braver, but that they are men who
have a little more insight into themselves and their capabilities.
They know themselves a little better than the next man. This has to be so
with men who have a healthy reason to volunteer for a risk. They are
generally a cut healthier emotionally than others of similar age and
background because of their willingness to push themselves a little bit
farther and not settle for an easier kind of existence.
We all have tremendous capabilities but are rarely straining at the upper
level of what we can do: these men are.

The country can be proud and grateful that so many of its sound, young,
eager men care enough about their own status in life -- and the welfare
of their country -- to pool their skills and match them collectively
against the power of the sea.

SR
05-07-2010, 05:07 PM

As am I, but in the AF not the Marines. The Marines are a different breed.

Dreadnought
05-07-2010, 05:56 PM
As am I, but in the AF not the Marines. The Marines are a different breed.

My Nephew commissions as a 2LT in the AF this month. I think he's going to be a radar officer or some such in an AWACS. Great kid, hard to picture him as an Officer!

SR
05-07-2010, 06:36 PM
That's pretty awesome. AWACS are crazy planes.

anton...
05-07-2010, 06:57 PM
i just got accepted into the Royal Military College (RMC) Duntroon...

its the aussie version of westpoint or sandhurst...

going for gso and hoping to land in the infantry when all is said and done...

start in july...

tits!

milehigh
05-07-2010, 07:09 PM
Best of luck to you MHC. It's a challenge, but you will certainly come out a better man.

Just a couple quick things for you. You'll be going to Recruit Training at Marine Corps Recruit Depot San Diego. The Recruit Depot adjoins the San Diego Airport, so it's basically downtown San Diego, although you'll never see it except from afar.

Camp Pendleton is a little over an hour drive north from where you'll be in Recruit Training. However, you will bus up to Pendleton for the rifle range and other field training.

Sounds like a great family you have there, you should be proud of all of them. Just remember one thing, your Dad is a former Marine. There are very few "ex" Marines, one of which is Lee Harvey Oswald.

Yea you are right I will go to MCRD for most of boot. MCT will be at Pendleton.

Day1BroncoFan
05-07-2010, 07:16 PM

Good luck milehigh! Pendleton is where my son is stationed now and is also where he took his MCT.

Thanks for serving, that goes to all here that are serving.

milehigh
05-07-2010, 07:35 PM

Good luck milehigh! Pendleton is where my son is stationed now and is also where he took his MCT.

Thanks for serving, that goes to all here that are serving.

Thank you, my brother is at Pendleton now as well. Not a bad place to be stationed.

Day1BroncoFan
05-08-2010, 11:06 AM
Thank you, my brother is at Pendleton now as well. Not a bad place to be stationed.

Great for us since he can drive here on the weekend if he wants or we can drive there. He will be here this weekend for mothers day. :D

Dreadnought
05-08-2010, 06:56 PM
That's pretty awesome. AWACS are crazy planes.

Trust an old Army guy to screw up technomological details! He will be an "Air battle Manager" in a "JSTARS". I am really puffed up now, as he was awarded a sabre today as top graduate - he heads for the FLA panhandle for training come July.

SR
05-08-2010, 07:23 PM
JSTARS are crazy planes too. They're a Boeing 707 airframe like the KC-135. I've worked on them a little when I was in Qatar in 2005, which is where he'll be going as well. If I'm not mistaken, the JSTARS are stationed at Robins AFB, GA and Hanscom AFB, MASS.

Lonestar
05-08-2010, 07:30 PM
JSTARS are crazy planes too. They're a Boeing 707 airframe like the KC-135. I've worked on them a little when I was in Qatar in 2005, which is where he'll be going as well. If I'm not mistaken, the JSTARS are stationed at Robins AFB, GA and Hanscom AFB, MASS.

so tell us about them, You are the man when it comes to Air frames.

SR
05-08-2010, 09:57 PM
That's all I know pretty much. I wasn't allowed inside the plane. All the work I did on them was on the outside. I know that they still have the old engines, not the once that the RC-135 and KC-135R have. They do electronic warfare type stuff. But I don't know any specifics on them. They're a "secret squirrel" plane.

Davii
05-09-2010, 02:09 AM

Me too. Not a bad place to be stationed at all. Definitely better than Lejuenne!!!!

SR
05-09-2010, 09:01 AM
Me too. Not a bad place to be stationed at all. Definitely better than Lejuenne!!!!

Are you coming up here for Sturgis?!

Davii
05-10-2010, 06:58 AM
Are you coming up here for Sturgis?!

Not sure man. I'd love to, but right now it's not looking too good for being able to get time this august.

LTC Pain
05-12-2010, 09:43 AM
Enlisted in the Army Reserves in 83, Basic Training/13B AIT Apr-Jun 83 at Fort Sill, OK.

Completed college (Missouri Southern State College) and ROTC 83-87. Commissioned as 2LT May 1985, branched in the Ordnance Corps.

Active Duty Oct 1987 - Sep 2007. Stationed at Fort Riley, KS; Fort Drum, NY; Oklahoma City, OK; Fort Carson, CO (3 times); Rhiyad, Saudi Arabia; Fort Leavenworth, KS and Camp Red Cloud, South Korea.

Retired at the rank of LTC. Awarded the Legion of Merit for service to country.

Deployed to Haiti in 94 & Operation Desert Storm/Shield in Saudi Arabia 90-91.

Currently living in Colorado Springs working for General Dynamics.

SR
05-13-2010, 06:28 AM
Currently living in Colorado Springs working for General Dynamics.

Hook a brother up with a job!

SR
05-13-2010, 06:28 AM
not sure man. I'd love to, but right now it's not looking too good for being able to get time this august.

make time!

MileHighCrew
05-17-2010, 10:21 AM
I just got back today from buying a house in Trenton Ontario where I will be posted very soon (which explains me being away) and it is an amazing military town. Trenton is very proud of the forces and I encourage anyone who has a chance to visit this town to do it. I am really looking forward to the move.

Day1BroncoFan
06-24-2010, 11:18 PM
I just found out my son is deploying to Afghanistan in around a month. I don't have any details other than that.

It isn't what I want but it's what he says he wants. His mom is freaked out.

SR
06-25-2010, 07:32 AM
He'll be alright!

My wife is deploying to Iraq in October...most definitely not thrilled about that.

Day1BroncoFan
06-25-2010, 11:16 AM
Hope you're right SR. I was wondering how I would react if this happened, now I know. It hasn't had time to really sink in yet though.

SR
06-25-2010, 02:34 PM
It'll be alright and a good experience for him. Me and most of my buddies all agree that deployments have been our best times and made the best memories.

Day1BroncoFan
07-03-2010, 06:48 PM
5MtdIO23MKM

SR
07-03-2010, 08:59 PM
That was pretty cool, but damn I hate the branch songs. Singing the Air Force Song always makes me feel like giant tard every time we're forced to do it.

Davii
07-06-2010, 02:59 AM
That was pretty cool, but damn I hate the branch songs. Singing the Air Force Song always makes me feel like giant tard every time we're forced to do it.

Funny, I never feel that way about the Marines Hymn.....

:laugh:

missingnumber7
07-07-2010, 09:00 PM
Don't feel that way about the army song either.

SR
07-07-2010, 10:54 PM
Funny, I never feel that way about the Marines Hymn.....

:laugh:

That because it's probably not bad. The Air Force Song is ghey...and I'm not the gung-ho ra ra military type either...just like working on planes and doing my deeds as an American.