PDA

View Full Version : Elway shows up at Gabbert's pro day

Bullgator
03-17-2011, 02:33 PM
Creating leverage to trade down? Or is he really looking to clean the QB cupboard?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft2011/news/story?id=6228384

TXBRONC
03-17-2011, 02:37 PM
Many times teams will look at players at positions that are not necessarily position of need.

cuzz4169
03-17-2011, 02:40 PM
"John Elway and coach John Fox, New York Jets coach Rex Ryan, John Harbaugh of the Baltimore Ravens"...So is Rex Ryan gonna replace Sanchez or Harbaugh gonna replace Flacco? Who shows up means nothing. You go see as many pro days as you can and you bring in for workouts as many people as you can.

Bullgator
03-17-2011, 02:42 PM
Many times teams will look at players at positions that are not necessarily position of need.

actually i just saw that Carol posted this on another thread, sry Carol

anyways i think DB is going to trade down and get as many picks in this draft as they can. this years draft is heavy D and i dont mean the fat rapper.

3 1-2nd round picks > marcell daruis IMO

BigSarge87
03-17-2011, 02:47 PM
This along with the Locker talk makes me wonder if they've had some discussion with other teams about moving down in the draft.

Really it creates a couple of scenarios that would be interesting to discuss (even if not likely or plausible). Maybe they trade down, trade T-Nuts, pick up a couple high picks out of the deal and still take a QB in round 1?

IDK, just tossing around conspiracy theories for the sake of discussion.

Bullgator
03-17-2011, 02:55 PM
This along with the Locker talk makes me wonder if they've had some discussion with other teams about moving down in the draft.

Really it creates a couple of scenarios that would be interesting to discuss (even if not likely or plausible). Maybe they trade down, trade T-Nuts, pick up a couple high picks out of the deal and still take a QB in round 1?

IDK, just tossing around conspiracy theories for the sake of discussion.

perfect plan... just replace T-nutts with KO and 1st round QB with 1st round DT

rcsodak
03-17-2011, 02:57 PM
"John Elway and coach John Fox, New York Jets coach Rex Ryan, John Harbaugh of the Baltimore Ravens"...So is Rex Ryan gonna replace Sanchez or Harbaugh gonna replace Flacco? Who shows up means nothing. You go see as many pro days as you can and you bring in for workouts as many people as you can.
There is a limit tho, right?
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

TXBRONC
03-17-2011, 03:06 PM
actually i just saw that Carol posted this on another thread, sry Carol

anyways i think DB is going to trade down and get as many picks in this draft as they can. this years draft is heavy D and i dont mean the fat rapper.

3 1-2nd round picks > marcell daruis IMO

They've mentioned that they would like aquire more picks but I'm convinced they want trade out the number two slot. Besides that without a CBA I think is very good chance they wont find a partner to trade with.

The only way really act on that is if the Panthers take Gabbert.

rationalfan
03-17-2011, 03:40 PM
They've mentioned that they would like aquire more picks but I'm convinced they want trade out the number two slot. Besides that without a CBA I think is very good chance they wont find a partner to trade with.

if my memory is accurate, without a CBA teams can only trade draft picks and cash.

BigSarge87
03-17-2011, 03:43 PM

Just throwing this out there...

We all know Elway loves him some Luck. Might we assume (there I go again) that there could be teams that want to move ahead of Buff and Cincy to get a chance at Gabbert or Newton. If picks can still be traded, can anyone see Elway trading down and picking up another 1st and 2nd next year to be in a position to get Luck?

That would leave them in a position to draft 3 great defensive players this year and still have the ammo to trade up (if necessary) to get the 'best prospect since Elway'.

rcsodak
03-17-2011, 04:00 PM

We all know Elway loves him some Luck. Might we assume (there I go again) that there could be teams that want to move ahead of Buff and Cincy to get a chance at Gabbert or Newton. If picks can still be traded, can anyone see Elway trading down and picking up another 1st and 2nd next year to be in a position to get Luck?

That would leave them in a position to draft 3 great defensive players this year and still have the ammo to trade up (if necessary) to get the 'best prospect since Elway'.
Someone once said 'dont mortgage your future for the unknown'....paraphrasing....but. I think it fits. What if luck gets injured/sucks/etc......and denver misses out (hindsight) on a true stud player this yr because of it?

BigSarge87
03-17-2011, 04:11 PM
Then they would have 4 picks in the first two rounds. Not a bad plan B.

HORSEPOWER 56
03-17-2011, 04:28 PM
Ummm, this was the pro day for Missouri, not just Blaine Gabbert, right? Isn't there a DE worth a look coming out of Missouri (Aldon Smith)?

This is like people saying we were at Auburn's pro day for Cam Newton (Nick Fairley) and Arkansas' for Ryan Mallett (DJ Williams). Unlikely.

BroncoNut
03-17-2011, 04:43 PM
didn't see much of this kid's college game. Sounds like he had an impressive proday

TXBRONC
03-17-2011, 05:01 PM

I think that's to far into the future for front office executives to think about.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-17-2011, 05:38 PM
Not all the NFL contingent came to see Gabbert. Sculpted defensive end Aldon Smith, also projected as a first-round pick, impressed scouts with his athletic ability, agility and untapped potential. Center Tim Barnes is also expected to be chosen in the draft.

full article - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_17635816

rcsodak
03-17-2011, 05:45 PM
Ummm, this was the pro day for Missouri, not just Blaine Gabbert, right? Isn't there a DE worth a look coming out of Missouri (Aldon Smith)?

This is like people saying we were at Auburn's pro day for Cam Newton (Nick Fairley) and Arkansas' for Ryan Mallett (DJ Williams). Unlikely.
Picky beeyotch

elsid13
03-17-2011, 06:26 PM
There is a limit tho, right?

There is a limit to the number of folks that they bring into Denver and do individual workouts with, not to the number of pro days they go to.

NightTerror218
03-17-2011, 06:53 PM

Exactly....when they also have another 1st rounder possible DE and Center. 3 possible 1st rounders. Worth a look.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-17-2011, 08:02 PM
Fast trip for John E. & John F. - they just spoke with Coach Fox - he is at the NCAA tournament in Denver tonight.

BeefStew25
03-17-2011, 08:07 PM
7 don't play around:

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N777MX

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
03-17-2011, 08:18 PM
Let's clarify that this was Missouri's Pro Day, not "Gabbert's Pro Day". There were other prospects there the Broncos should be interested in.

topscribe
03-17-2011, 08:24 PM
I'm just kind of wondering if it's possible that if the Broncos aren't counting on
some Luck they could arrive at the right Locker, or if they pass up that Locker
they could run into some Luck . . .

-----

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
03-17-2011, 09:29 PM
I'm just kind of wondering if it's possible that if the Broncos aren't counting on

-----

http://i824.photobucket.com/albums/zz165/Reajeasa/Watsonfacepalm.gif

rcsodak
03-17-2011, 10:21 PM
There is a limit to the number of folks that they bring into Denver and do individual workouts with, not to the number of pro days they go to.
Yes....I was referring to the workouts. You know the number?

elsid13
03-18-2011, 03:42 AM

30 I believe.

topscribe
03-18-2011, 10:04 AM
http://i824.photobucket.com/albums/zz165/Reajeasa/Watsonfacepalm.gif

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh256/AZDynamics/Goofies/OldGuysGoodLaugh.jpg

-----

BroncoNut
03-18-2011, 01:59 PM

-----

Zam,, untie topscribe.

BroncoNut
03-18-2011, 01:59 PM
30 I think

HORSEPOWER 56
03-18-2011, 02:20 PM
Maybe we're just trying to make sure our draft board has more than 20 guys on it...

unlike the previous regime... :whoknows: