PDA

View Full Version : _enver _efense found the D

HighPlainsBronc
10-05-2008, 07:15 PM
Looks like we borrowed some other teams defense. Who were those guys? :D

I was proud of the :defense: today. It's a new feeling for me.

I hope they keep it up the rest of the season. :beer:

Sassy
10-05-2008, 07:47 PM
Looks like we borrowed some other teams defense. Who were those guys? :D

I was proud of the :defense: today. It's a new feeling for me.

I hope they keep it up the rest of the season. :beer:

I think they switched uniforms with the Tampa D. ;D

Dean
10-05-2008, 10:00 PM
I was particularly impessed with the second half defense. The third qurter has been where we just completely pack it in and hope that the offense can hold on to win. I think that the Bucs had the ball six times the second half and either three or four of those were three and outs.

The difference in play was like night and day from the disorganized and poorly executed efforts of our previous games. :salute:

LoyalSoldier
10-05-2008, 10:44 PM
We don't need an awesome defense to win, we just need one that plays solid and gives our offense a chance to run ahead. If they play more like they did today then we have a good chance to win the AFC West.

omac
10-05-2008, 11:20 PM
The defense played well. We got consistent pressure on their QBs, and we were usually solid against the run. I think we've been seing flashes of those the previous games, but this time, they held it together for a whole game.

I didn't notice Paymah getting burned; don't know if he was even playing on defense. Maybe it was Jack Williams who was playing.

3 things to consider, though;

I didn't like how Garcia was able to get 10 yard chunks passing and eventually completing a TD pass very quickly within the last few minutes. Hopefully, that was just a "prevent" and not their normal D.

The Bucs are not a great offensive team, so our defense would look better against them. In the same sense, SD and NO are excellent offensive teams, so our defense looked bad against them. I think our defense isn't as good as this game shows, but it isn't as bad as those other 2 games show either.

Another factor is we were forced to play a very ball control offense, because of what the defense was giving us, so that did help keep the scoring of both teams pretty low.

Nonetheless, great effort by the defense. :cheers:

Dortoh
10-05-2008, 11:33 PM
I am very happy with the D but just like I said when they were getting burned badly the jury is still very much out.

Show up against the jagwads and I'll start to buy in. The Bucs game plan sucked IMHO

Cugel
10-05-2008, 11:43 PM
Paymah mad a great special teams tackle. It wasn't commented on, but he eluded & split 2 defenders, ran downfield, got behind the wedge and slammed the ball-carrier. It's nice to see him make a play.

Kenny Peterson got some pressure on the QB! Amazing!

Dumervil and Ekuban made some plays and were in on some sacks.

The blitz got some pressure for the first time all season!

Marcus Thomas made a play on the interception. If he hadn't fumbled, that's the ball game right there because Denver would have been in FG range right away. Even if the Bucs stopped the offense from scoring a TD a FG puts the game almost out of reach.

It was only the Bucs who have not got much talent on offense. They are a defensive oriented team who held the high-powered Broncos offense to 16 points.

But, Denver stopped their defense cold except for the last drive where the scored the TD. That was great!

Dre Bly and the safeties made some plays.

The LBs, especially DJ and Boss Bailey played well. Nobody was open much all day.

Tampa has NO good WRs so it's not a real test. But, neither does KC have any kind of offense and they whipped the Broncos defense all day. So this is a great step up!

omac
10-06-2008, 12:07 AM
Didn't hear much about Champ? Was he playing, or were they just avoiding throwing towards him?

Dortoh
10-06-2008, 12:15 AM
Didn't hear much about Champ? Was he playing, or were they just avoiding throwing towards him?

in 5 games he as been thrown at a total of 12 times. Guy gets major respect. :salute:

The sack of griese by Champ was the highlight of the game for me

omac
10-06-2008, 12:20 AM
in 5 games he as been thrown at a total of 12 times. Guy gets major respect. :salute:

The sack of griese by Champ was the highlight of the game for me

Sheesh, oh yeah, how could I forget about that one. Solid hit, took Griese out of the game. :salute: Too bad the better QB Garcia took his place and scored a TD later on. :D

Davii
10-06-2008, 12:22 AM
Paymah mad a great special teams tackle. It wasn't commented on, but he eluded & split 2 defenders, ran downfield, got behind the wedge and slammed the ball-carrier. It's nice to see him make a play.

They showed the replay a couple times and commented that's how it's supposed to be done.

LoyalSoldier
10-06-2008, 12:38 AM
I find it funny when they keep saying Champ has lost a step. Yet if you look at it Champ has hardly been thrown to this season. I don't think he was thrown to at all this game.

Italianmobstr7
10-06-2008, 12:58 AM
Through 5 games he's been thrown at 11 times. 11. He also has 1 INT, and 1 FF last week against KC. Today he crushed Griese and almost caused an INT. The Bucs did not throw 1 pass at the man he was covering today. Champ hasn't lost a step. Far from it. He was fearless in run support, and making hits and tackles everywhere. The dude is a baller. Still the best CB in the league, no matter what the stats say. It's hard to lead the league in INT's when almost no one throws at you. Dude is a beast. I hope that he retires in a Broncos uniform.

Dortoh
10-06-2008, 01:04 AM
Through 5 games he's been thrown at 11 times. 11. He also has 1 INT, and 1 FF last week against KC. Today he crushed Griese and almost caused an INT. The Bucs did not throw 1 pass at the man he was covering today. Champ hasn't lost a step. Far from it. He was fearless in run support, and making hits and tackles everywhere. The dude is a baller. Still the best CB in the league, no matter what the stats say. It's hard to lead the league in INT's when almost no one throws at you. Dude is a beast. I hope that he retires in a Broncos uniform.

Not to argue but I think he had flat responsiblity on a few plays where he came up and made the stick. Not sure if that counts as getting thrown at. Either way he is not a mortal man on the football field

Dortoh
10-06-2008, 01:49 AM
Ok after watching the game again next week will be interesting. They really laid it out today with some crazy blitz packages.....ie both corners etc. I worry that next week vs the jagwads we will come out very plain and play a lot of base D. Guess we shall see but the jags now have some good tape.

Traveler
10-06-2008, 08:23 AM
I'm very interested in seeing how the defense handles the physicality of the Jags offensive line this week.

WhatEver!!!
10-06-2008, 09:01 AM
If the Broncos could get to Griese then they can get to Gerrard. What was the stat?? The first 4 gaves TB gave up only 3 or 4 sacks. We got 3 in one game. Jax has allowed 13 in the first few games. This makes me believe they have a very good run line but not a good pass protection line. We will get a sack or two but Gerrard can run so we have to watch out. It also seems like he holds onto the ball a little too much.

MOtorboat
10-06-2008, 09:18 AM
If the Broncos could get to Griese then they can get to Gerrard. What was the stat?? The first 4 gaves TB gave up only 3 or 4 sacks. We got 3 in one game. Jax has allowed 13 in the first few games. This makes me believe they have a very good run line but not a good pass protection line. We will get a sack or two but Gerrard can run so we have to watch out. It also seems like he holds onto the ball a little too much.

Last time we played the Jags, they didn't have to pass...let's hope that crap doesn't happen again.

:crossesfingers: No 11 1/2-minute drives please!

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter?game_id=29236&displayPage=tab_gamecenter&season=2007&week=REG3

Traveler
10-06-2008, 09:26 AM

Griese isn't a threat to hurt you with the run. Garrard killed us the last time because of his ability to run when needed. Their offensive line just destroyed us last time we played. They receivers are suspect so they will first try to pound it out.

Are we sturdy enough to negate their rushing attack?

LRtagger
10-06-2008, 10:04 AM
I knew it was more scheme then it was our lack of talent. Maybe Slowik will start getting it that we need to develop blotzing packages that confuse and attack.

I guess for now I can postpone my petition until next week.

Broncolingus
10-06-2008, 10:12 AM
I'm very interested in seeing how the defense handles the physicality of the Jags offensive line this week.

Me too...

The defense did play well yesterday...

…against a very, very mediocre offense...and after getting lit against KC (and the Bolts and the Aints) the defense was 'due' a good game. Happens to every team, every year...

...after I see another 11 games of Denver’s defense holding teams to 13 points or less, then I might start to relax on the skepticism, but until then, no.

Consistency, folks…

BTW, that ‘pressure’ defense is what wins playoff games and Championships…

turftoad
10-06-2008, 10:18 AM
Yes the "D" played well yesterday, we needed it.

That said, One game does not make a defense.

We sucked for 4 games and play well in one and all the sudden our "D" is playoff calibur?

Gimme a couple more games like yesterday then I'm a believer.

underrated29
10-06-2008, 10:19 AM
guys 3/5ths of the jags oline is hurt. Just like ours was last year. If we can bring it on those backups/rookies ( i dont know what they are) then jax shouldnts stand a chance.....

We absolutely have to shut down their run game. That is it. If we keep drew,taylor and gerrard in check on the run. We should have an easy win. They are a power pound the ball team, but a lot of their strength on the Oline is missing.

I look for pittman to have a ton of carries in this game.

MOtorboat
10-06-2008, 10:38 AM
guys 3/5ths of the jags oline is hurt. Just like ours was last year. If we can bring it on those backups/rookies ( i dont know what they are) then jax shouldnts stand a chance.....

We absolutely have to shut down their run game. That is it. If we keep drew,taylor and gerrard in check on the run. We should have an easy win. They are a power pound the ball team, but a lot of their strength on the Oline is missing.

I look for pittman to have a ton of carries in this game.

That offensive line is just so freakin' big...
Khalif Barnes, 6-5, 325
Uche Nwaneri, 6-2, 325
Dennis Norman, 6-5, 322
Milford Brown, 6-5, 330
Tony Pashos, 6-6, 325

Denver defensive line
Engelburger, 6-4, 260
Robertson, 6-1, 308
Thomas, 6-1, 305
Dumervil, 5-11, 260

:eek:

I'm pretty sure Moss will be sitting this one out again...

REB
10-06-2008, 10:41 AM
Yes it was good to see the D playing well. We can only hope that they continue to improve as the season progresses :salute:

Dreadnought
10-06-2008, 10:58 AM

We sucked for 4 games and play well in one and all the sudden our "D" is playoff calibur?

The D was fine against the Faid, really. They did have 3 consecutive bad outings, I would certainly agree there.

underrated29
10-06-2008, 11:06 AM
Khalif Barnes, 6-5, 325
Uche Nwaneri, 6-2, 325
Dennis Norman, 6-5, 322
Milford Brown, 6-5, 330
Tony Pashos, 6-6, 325

Denver defensive line
Engelburger, 6-4, 260
Robertson, 6-1, 308
Thomas, 6-1, 305
Dumervil, 5-11, 260

Man those are some big boys... I have to say though i am excited for doom. We should see plenty of sacks/holding calls on doom. 5-11 against 6'5 or 6'6. Doom is going to have some great leverage on those guys, and i just dont think they will have the quick sweet feet like our boy does.

But- in the power run game they sure do have a BIG advatage. I suppose we will have to cut thier feet our and hope our LBs make the plays.

HighPlainsBronc
10-06-2008, 11:25 AM

Champ got an "almost sack" that put Griese out of the game and it was commented that Champ wasn't thrown against all game. HE WAS THERE! :lol:

HighPlainsBronc
10-06-2008, 11:40 AM

Nobody is saying that the :defense: is playoff calibur as yet. Just that they showed up yesterday and played well.

It does look to me as if they are coming together a little more each game, gelling if you will. Not that I'm some great football mind, but I've heard many times that it takes longer for the :defense: to gel than it does for the offense so I'm content for now.

Yes, I will watch to see if they hang in there for the next couple of games before I get too enthused! But for yesterday they get a :salute: !

TXBRONC
10-06-2008, 12:11 PM
Nobody is saying that the :defense: is playoff calibur as yet. Just that they showed up yesterday and played well.

It does look to me as if they are coming together a little more each game, gelling if you will. Not that I'm some great football mind, but I've heard many times that it takes longer for the :defense: to gel than it does for the offense so I'm content for now.

Yes, I will watch to see if they hang in there for the next couple of games before I get too enthused! But for yesterday they get a :salute: !

Exactly, yes one good game doesn't make them Super Bowl caliber defense but it still was good showing for them. I too think maybe the defense is starting to come together.

WhatEver!!!
10-06-2008, 12:20 PM
Griese isn't a threat to hurt you with the run. Garrard killed us the last time because of his ability to run when needed. Their offensive line just destroyed us last time we played. They receivers are suspect so they will first try to pound it out.

Are we sturdy enough to negate their rushing attack?

Yes I agree 100%. I just did not state that here but I did in the "game plan the Jags" thread

TXBRONC
10-06-2008, 12:39 PM
Jags offensive line hasn't looked all that good from the little bit that I have seen from them. Garrard is not playing at the same level that did last year not is their defense. That being said Denver can't take them lightly.

GEM
10-06-2008, 01:41 PM
Khalif Barnes, 6-5, 325
Uche Nwaneri, 6-2, 325
Dennis Norman, 6-5, 322
Milford Brown, 6-5, 330
Tony Pashos, 6-6, 325

Denver defensive line
Engelburger, 6-4, 260
Robertson, 6-1, 308
Thomas, 6-1, 305
Dumervil, 5-11, 260

Dallas has the same size OLine and we dealt well with them in practice and game time.

Dreadnought
10-06-2008, 02:00 PM
Dallas has the same size OLine and we dealt well with them in practice and game time.

Agreed. If size was the be-all against the Jags big fat Sam Adams would have stopped a few running plays last year, and I don't remember that actually happening. We are in better shape than last year just by virtue of him being gone.

LoyalSoldier
10-06-2008, 03:22 PM
Size doesn't indicate skill. Example Superbowl 32. The largest defensive line in the league vs the smallest offensive line in the league. Result? 157 rushing yards and 3 rushing TDs

TXBRONC
10-06-2008, 03:37 PM
Size doesn't indicate skill. Example Superbowl 32. The largest defensive line in the league vs the smallest offensive line in the league. Result? 157 rushing yards and 3 rushing TDs

The Packers also had an offensive line that out weighed our defensive line if I'm not mistake.