PDA

View Full Version : When will free agency happen?

dogfish
03-11-2011, 07:29 PM
As the league scrambles to process the meaning of the union’s decision to decertify, a high-level source with one team tells PFT that the league is preparing for the possibility that free agency could begin soon.

As in at midnight.

Per the source, the league is bracing for the possibility of a ruling from Judge David Doty that would force the doors to remain open, compelling the league to allow player movement and trades as soon as 12:01 a.m. Saturday.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/03/11/source-free-agency-could-start-at-midnight/

underrated29
03-11-2011, 07:38 PM
How about trades? Like say, I dont know.
Kyle Orton to the vikings for a 2nd rounder.

HORSEPOWER 56
03-11-2011, 07:38 PM
September, earliest. It should be extremely interesting to see the run on FAs whenever FA finally starts probably a week before the 1st game. We seems to be okay roster-wise (not talent wise but we could field a game-day roster if we had to) there are teams out there that couldn't field a game-day roster because they have so many guys hitting FA.

Whenever it does come, it's going to be fast and furious because it will probably not start until about a week before the first game of the season.

Bullgator
03-11-2011, 07:39 PM
I think there will be... if it happens BEFORE the draft IDK.. but most experts are estimating about 1 month before Doty will rule.. 12:01 sat would be awsome.. for that to happen the NFL has to announce it will try for a lockout first.. have they said they were going to lockout yet?

HORSEPOWER 56
03-11-2011, 07:41 PM
How about trades? Like say, I dont know.
Kyle Orton to the vikings for a 2nd rounder.

Unfortunately, I don't think there will be any chance of trading anyone until after the draft. Nobody will trade for a vet QB if they think they can draft their future franchise QB. Once all the good QBs are off the board, maybe then we'll see some action.

HORSEPOWER 56
03-11-2011, 07:43 PM
I think there will be... if it happens BEFORE the draft IDK.. but most experts are estimating about 1 month before Doty will rule.. 12:01 sat would be awsome.. for that to happen the NFL has to announce it will try for a lockout first.. have they said they were going to lockout yet?

Technically they can't when the union has de-certified. It's then technically a "work stoppage" with a few select players as the plaintiffs in the anti-trust case.

OrangeHoof
03-11-2011, 07:46 PM
If the owners hold together, it may be awhile. If the mavericks like Jerry Jones or Al Davis try to get a head start (and there's nothing to stop them, legally) then everybody will jump in fast.

You may see a judge give an injunction to halt things until a specific date.

Actually, if an owner starts the free-for-all, the NFL can then argue in court that they *aren't* a monopoly, thus boosting their anti-trust efforts.

dogfish
03-11-2011, 07:49 PM
this whole thing is a complete cluster****. . .

:yardog:

Bullgator
03-11-2011, 08:09 PM
this whole thing is a complete cluster****. . .

:yardog:

Itll work out, it has to. In Doty we trust!

PAINTERDAVE
03-11-2011, 08:30 PM
The plaintifs in the case, which has now been officially filed,
are Tom Brady, Peyton Manning and Drew brees.

The judge is well aware of the facts and the filing.

He could rule immediatly on an injunction against the owners doing a lockout...

or he could rule Monday... or he could rule any time...
and once he does, there will be an injunction
against the owners locking out the players...
and the old CBA rules will be in effect... as per court ruling.

Then, the two sides will have to negotiate and come to an aggreement...
while Football goes on...
free agency, the draft, training camps, pres-season and all.

This is GREAT news if it all goes down like I described.

Let 'em argue... on their own time.

Let the game go on.

I think it will be no later than the end of next week that free agency begins.

This info I am giving here is what the radio analysts
I have been listening to are speculating about.

PAINTERDAVE
03-11-2011, 08:36 PM
Unfortunately, I don't think there will be any chance of trading anyone until after the draft. Nobody will trade for a vet QB if they think they can draft their future franchise QB. Once all the good QBs are off the board, maybe then we'll see some action.

Disagree...

Once free agancy opens up...
I expect a team like the VIkes who want a veteran to help them win NOW...
will be glad to take Orton off our hands.

Drafting a rookie project does not get the job done for those who have all the pieces in place NOW.

Some teams... they will need a stopgap QB like Kyle...
while they wait for their QB project to develop.

Our waiting is over..... We drafted our project a year ago...
time to put the new wheels out on the track.

Heck, I'd take a 3rd for Orton... we could use the pick.

HORSEPOWER 56
03-11-2011, 08:53 PM
Disagree...

Once free agancy opens up...
I expect a team like the VIkes who want a veteran to help them win NOW...
will be glad to take Orton off our hands.

Drafting a rookie project does not get the job done for those who have all the pieces in place NOW.

Some teams... they will need a stopgap QB like Kyle...
while they wait for their QB project to develop.

Our waiting is over..... We drafted our project a year ago...
time to put the new wheels out on the track.

Heck, I'd take a 3rd for Orton... we could use the pick.

Except that Doty isn't the final say on all things NFL. As soon as his ruling is made the league will find an owner-sympathetic judge and file their appeal. This has the potential to drag on for months and even into the next season.

I would be great if Doty's decision was final and it would work out like you said, but the owners aren't going to just roll over on this.

PAINTERDAVE
03-11-2011, 09:41 PM
I understand what you are saying...

I hope you are wrong...

I want football.. damnit!

Bullgator
03-11-2011, 09:52 PM
Carolina Panthers owner Jerry Richardson, co-chairman of the NFL owners' labor committee, urged everyone to remain positive and patient.

"This is a time for our fans not to be discouraged," Richardson said. "No anger and friction between the players and the teams. It has been actually a real learning experience for all of us. In due course, we'll have an agreement."

well thats a little encouraging

nevcraw
03-11-2011, 11:33 PM

PAINTERDAVE
03-12-2011, 02:39 AM
Lockout is in effect.

Now the court needs to rule ...
and hopefully issue an injunction.

Then it all becomes a deal that must be done WHILE the game continues.

Screw 'em both.

Play Ball!

rcsodak
03-12-2011, 10:07 PM
Except that Doty isn't the final say on all things NFL. As soon as his ruling is made the league will find an owner-sympathetic judge and file their appeal. This has the potential to drag on for months and even into the next season.

I would be great if Doty's decision was final and it would work out like you said, but the owners aren't going to just roll over on this.

If doty rules, then the NFL would have to take it to the 8th District Appealate Court, which is in St Louis, Mo.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

rcsodak
03-12-2011, 10:10 PM
Lockout is in effect.

Now the court needs to rule ...
and hopefully issue an injunction.

Then it all becomes a deal that must be done WHILE the game continues.

Screw 'em both.

Play Ball!

YOU'RE CRACKING ME UP, DAVE. Go out dancin....i'll let ya know when to turn on the tube.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums