PDA

View Full Version : Schefter on Denver!!!

Crush05
09-25-2007, 09:34 AM
You know I can agree with this!!!

Broncos need altitude adjustment; Brady off to historic start
By Adam Schefter | NFL Network

Used to be that Denver held a Mile High mystique, an advantage all opponents struggled to overcome. Now the altitude appears to be suffocating the Broncos.

After dropping Sunday's game to Jacksonville, Denver now has lost five of its past seven home games. And here's the literal kicker: Denver's only two homes wins in nearly a full year both involved special-teams flukes.

Doug Pensinger / Getty Images
After losing to the Jaguars on Sunday, it has become even more apparent that the Broncos no longer enjoy the home-field advantage they once held.

Two Sundays ago, Denver coach Mike Shanahan called a timeout before Oakland kicker Sebastian Janikowski booted an overtime field goal that would have beaten the Broncos.

And last December, Cincinnati's snap on an extra point in the final minute sailed wide of holder Kyle Larson, preventing Bengals kicker Shayne Graham from attempting his 159th straight conversion. Denver held on to win 24-23.

In other words, Denver's only two home wins over the past year have been by a combined four points, and both games could have been losses as easily as they were victories. The Broncos' home record from 1996-2005 was 64-16 (.800), including three season in which the team went undefeated in Denver.

The Mile High mystique has faded and the Broncos need to figure out a way to recapture it to save their season.

After this Sunday's game in the Broncos' haunted house known as Indianapolis' RCA Dome, the team returns to Denver for the teeth of its schedule and three straight home games against the San Diego Chargers, Pittsburgh Steelers and Green Bay Packers on Monday Night Football.

With Denver sporting a 2-1 record, the Broncos now will play their next four games against teams with a combined 10-2 record. If they don't play better, it's possible their home record could get worse before it gets better.

It's hard to imagine the Mile High mystique going M.I.A. But it's also hard to imagine over the past year Denver posting a 2-5 home record.

http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story?id=09000d5d802ab7ed&template=with-video&confirm=true

Lonestar
09-25-2007, 11:08 AM
Good find..

I saw him make this same comment on NFL replay last night. While it had been rattling around in the back of my mind for a long time, it came full circle when he said it and hit me square in the face.

I also heard this last night on NFL Replay, I think it was.

A Schefter commented "that DEN has lost 5 of the last 7 home games we have played of the two we won one was the OAK last second head game on janikowski Mikey pulled and the other the CINCY game where they missed a gimme FG to win with a seconds on the clock.

He said home field advantage @ MILE HIGH used to be a lock, but is no more."

I think I have to agree. Had those two games not been flukes and everyone knows in their mind that those were indeed losses that we got extraordinarily lucky on we would have been 0-7 over the past 7 home games.

TXBRONC
09-25-2007, 11:26 AM
Good find..

I saw him make this same comment on NFL replay last night. While it had been rattling around in the back of my mind for a long time, it came full circle when he said it and hit me square in the face.

I also heard this last night on NFL Replay, I think it was.

A Schefter commented "that DEN has lost 5 of the last 7 home games we have played of the two we won one was the OAK last second head game on janikowski Mikey pulled and the other the CINCY game where they missed a gimme FG to win with a seconds on the clock.

He said home field advantage @ MILE HIGH used to be a lock, but is no more."

I think I have to agree. Had those two games not been flukes and everyone knows in their mind that those were indeed losses that we got extraordinarily lucky on we would have been 0-7 over the past 7 home games.

I don't consider them flukes and certainly don't appreciate you telling what should be in my mind.

Skinny
09-25-2007, 11:30 AM
I agree with Shef on the Broncos, with all the new faces on both sides of the ball, adjusting to the altitude themselves.

It's leveled the playing feild this season.

But i don't think that was the case in the past.

Just my opinion.

But he's nit picking on the 2-5 record.

How many other teams in the past have won a game or games because the other team did'nt execute??

That's football. . .

And in football or any sport, 'Home' or 'Away', perseverance usually wins.

TXBRONC
09-25-2007, 11:35 AM
I agree with Shef on the Broncos, with all the new faces on both sides of the ball, adjusting to the altitude themselves.

It's leveled the playing feild this season.

But i don't think that was the case in the past.

Just my opinion.

But he's nit picking on the 2-5 record.

How many other teams in the past have won a game or games because the other team did'nt execute??

That's football. . .

And in football or any sport, 'Home' or 'Away', perseverance usually wins.

Exactly. Very rarely will one team play completely mistake free football, it matter or taking advantage of the other team's mistakes. That's football.

omac
09-25-2007, 01:51 PM
I don't consider them flukes and certainly don't appreciate you telling what should be in my mind.

Yeah man, I don't consider them flukes either. Well, I guess now I know that whenver we win a tight game, it'll be considered a fluke. Forget making big plays at the right time, they were all flukes. And we're lucky when the opponents miss field goals, but they aren't lucky when we miss ours. Flukes. But ofcourse, our earlier wins last season, despite scoring ridiculously low points, weren't flukes. Or were they? Dang, which games are flukes and which games aren't? :D

Crush05
09-25-2007, 02:33 PM
A fluke would have been if we won against Jax on Sunday after everything!!!!:ahhhhh:

TXBRONC
09-25-2007, 02:39 PM
I don't know if really is such a thing as a fluke. Mistakes are going to happen and the team capitalizes on the other teams mistakes wins more times than not.

The game isn't paper it's played on the field.

Crush05
09-25-2007, 02:40 PM
I don't know if really is such a thing as a fluke. Mistakes are going to happen and the team capitalizes on the other teams mistakes wins more times than not.

The game isn't paper it's played on the field.

Nah after all of the chances the Jags gave us to take the game. If it would have taken until that last drive where Graham dropped the ball that would be a fluke IMO.

omac
09-25-2007, 03:21 PM
Nah after all of the chances the Jags gave us to take the game. If it would have taken until that last drive where Graham dropped the ball that would be a fluke IMO.

If Cutler threw a pass which hit a defender's helmet, bounced off and hit another defender's helmet, then bounced off again and hit a 3rd defender's helmet, then bounced off again and hit a 4th defender's helmet, then landed in the hands of Brandon Marshall in the endzone, that would be a fluke. :laugh:

If Denver found a way to win the game, then they would've won the game, no fluke. Sometimes, you have to make your own luck. :cool:

lex
09-25-2007, 07:03 PM
There are just too many players who are soft and lack the pride to convert HFA into something meaningful. Guys like to be cheered and want to be cheered but dont have the resolve or, in some cases, talent to reciprocate.

Lonestar
09-25-2007, 09:39 PM
There are just too many players who are soft and lack the pride to convert HFA into something meaningful. Guys like to be cheered and want to be cheered but dont have the resolve or, in some cases, talent to reciprocate.

Perhaps it is late but I have no idea what you are talking about. Could you please translate it for us normal folk.

lex
09-25-2007, 09:44 PM
Perhaps it is late but I have no idea what you are talking about. Could you please translate it for us normal folk.

Im saying there are several plays that one could call "desire plays" where certain players are not coming through in spite of the fact that they may wave their arms and encourage the fans to cheer. And the same could be said for a few guys on offense although you wont see them encouraging crowd noise like the defense.

DenBronx
09-25-2007, 09:52 PM
gone are the days of the intense AFC west thats for sure. looks like were a pretty soft division.

anyhow, im pretty disapionted with the fans....they left with like 3 mins left last sunday. so what if we were losing or gonna lose.....real fans stay till the last play, even when your down. the sad thing is, is i have never even got a chance to step foot inside a broncos stadium. no, instead i get to sit next to the black hole every year at the raiders stadium to watch the broncos.

back on topic with the fans and mile high magic. i noticed that the fans were really loud late in the 3rd and late in the 4th. then it kind of dwindled down to nothing. but....no worries, once cutler has a couple of years under his belt people will then give him and company the golden fleece.....and theyll be one happy joy lucky banwagon! :elefant:

Lonestar
09-25-2007, 10:07 PM
Im saying there are several plays that one could call "desire plays" where certain players are not coming through in spite of the fact that they may wave their arms and encourage the fans to cheer. And the same could be said for a few guys on offense although you wont see them encouraging crowd noise like the defense.

makes more since now thanks
Although as stated In another thread I'm not so sure that invesco is all that much Home field advantage any more. There is a thread about this out there discussing it.

gobroncsnv
09-25-2007, 10:30 PM
Any chance we had better players back when home field was Mile High???