PDA

View Full Version : Cox trial could drag out - possibly into the season?

PAINTERDAVE
03-10-2011, 12:21 PM
The wheels of justice move slowly.

The team needs to move on...who knows what the outcome will be?

"Cox faces two charges of sexual assault on a helpless victim incapable of appraising her condition,
and could face between 2 years and life in prison if convicted."

In hearing yesterday, Cox' attorneys argued for a closed hearing...
and continued sealed information about the arrest, etc.

The media is all argueing against that

I wonder when the main trial is scheduled? Or if it will keep getting postponed...
or will it be done this summer?

The team needs to draft as if he is going to jail....

The whole dang thing is just plain icky.

GEM
03-10-2011, 12:22 PM
The media shouldn't have a say in if a trial is public or private.

PAINTERDAVE
03-10-2011, 12:29 PM
The Washington Post and the Denver Post and a third entity all are on the side of opening the facts to the public...

National news as well as local news.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-10-2011, 12:33 PM
DENVER (AP) - DENVER (AP) — Police are scheduled to publicly air details of the sexual assault allegations against Denver Broncos cornerback Perrish Cox during a court hearing, unless a judge grants a defense request to close the hearing to the public.

http://denver.cbslocal.com/2011/03/10/perrish-coxs-attorney-wants-hearing-closed/

SR
03-10-2011, 12:35 PM
He shouldn't have put himself in the position to be accused of something like this. Maybe if he would've been a little more disciplined, he wouldn't be in this situation.

turftoad
03-10-2011, 12:52 PM
He shouldn't have put himself in the position to be accused of something like this. Maybe if he would've been a little more disciplined, he wouldn't be in this situation.

100% agree. However, innocent until proven guilty.

If guilty, he should get what he deserves. To bad he is already guilty in the court of public opinion.

Would have been nice to know the outcome of this before the draft. IMO, it would have made a diff in our drafting priority.

SR
03-10-2011, 12:58 PM
The fact that he put himself in a position to even be accused, guilty or not in court, tells me a little something about who he associates himself with and what kind of person he is.

BroncoStud
03-10-2011, 12:59 PM
He had character issues coming out for sure... Let's just hope he is innocent and can contribute, he was great value where we drafted him but he fell that far because of these very same character concerns.

SR
03-10-2011, 01:00 PM
But what happens next time he gets in trouble or is accused of something? People will start talking about this incident.

BroncoStud
03-10-2011, 01:01 PM
But what happens next time he gets in trouble or is accused of something? People will start talking about this incident.

It would be another Brandon Marshall or Big Ben issue... Probably suspension.

SR
03-10-2011, 01:02 PM
I don't want players with reputations like that on this team. The Broncos get enough negative media attention for sucking. Don't need this too.

PAINTERDAVE
03-10-2011, 01:06 PM
Guilt.. Innocence... I have suspended judgement about that...
but the reality of what IS happening DOES affect the team.

He IS facing jail. He MIGHT or might not be available to play.
He MIGHT come out of it the hardest working CB in the league...
if the incident put the fear of God into him.
Or he could be a broken shell of a man and
it could make him less than a good player.

That whole thing is crap of his own making...
and NOT what this team needs in this rebuilding year.

Bottom line is... we gotta act as if he IS going to jail...
we can't afford to count on his help in 2011.

If we get him back whole this year? Bonus.

BroncoStud
03-10-2011, 01:06 PM
I don't want players with reputations like that on this team. The Broncos get enough negative media attention for sucking. Don't need this too.

It could happen to anyone man. He may be proven innocent.

SR
03-10-2011, 02:36 PM
I know. And I hope that is the case. Ideally, he'll bounce back from this and live up to his potential on the field. Some how though, I don't think it's gonna play out like that. I'm reserving judgment, but something tells me he's gonna end up being the "G-word".

Denver Native (Carol)
03-10-2011, 02:47 PM
CASTLE ROCK — A Douglas County judge this morning denied a request by an attorney representing Denver Broncos cornerback Perrish Cox to have his preliminary hearing closed to the media and the public.

Douglas County Judge Susanna Meissner-Cutler ruled against the motion because defense did not present evidence to rule on.

"That information has not been provided to the court," she said.

Immediately after the ruling, Cox's attorney Harvey Steinberg waived his client's right to a preliminary hearing, during which the state would have presented evidence to establish probable cause to proceed to trial. He said he did so because he feared the pretrial publicity

"We want a trial that is fair and we intend to fight this vigorously," Steinberg said outside the courtroom.

Cox will be arraigned in district court on May 16.

full article - http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_17583544

SR
03-10-2011, 02:49 PM
Look at the judge's last name. That's why.

PAINTERDAVE
03-10-2011, 08:42 PM
By waiving the preliminary hearing...
the trial SHOULD happen much more quickly.

Maybe this thing will wrap up BEFORE the season starts...

for good or bad.

HORSEPOWER 56
03-10-2011, 09:07 PM
The fact that he put himself in a position to even be accused, guilty or not in court, tells me a little something about who he associates himself with and what kind of person he is.

I understand what you're saying Red, but did you know that in most states, should she choose to pursue it, you can be charged with sexual assault (rape) for having sex with a woman who is intoxicated? By the way, this includes your spouse. Whether or not she "consents", the laws in some states read that someone who is intoxicated is not in their right mind and therefore cannot give consent.

This could be a simple matter of him having sex with a drunk girl (much like Rapeslesburger without the getting your bodyguards to drag her into the bathroom and guard the door) who later regretted it and is now pressing charges.

I'm going to wait until the jury's verdict on this one.

From what they are saying now, Cox's lawyers have waived the right to a hearing and are going directly to trial which I believe starts in mid-May.

PAINTERDAVE
03-11-2011, 01:02 AM
cox arraignment scheduled for may 16
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5625/perrish-cox

Cox's arraignment scheduled for May 16
Broncos CB Perrish Cox is scheduled for an arraignment on May 16 after his attorney waived the right to a preliminary hearing Thursday.The big news in the Cox sexual assault case was the judge's denial of the defense attorney's request to have the hearing closed to the media and the public. Cox is facing two felony charges accusing him essentially of raping a helpless victim.

rcsodak
03-11-2011, 08:13 AM

OSU thug
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

rcsodak
03-11-2011, 08:17 AM
cox arraignment scheduled for may 16
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5625/perrish-cox

Cox's arraignment scheduled for May 16
Broncos CB Perrish Cox is scheduled for an arraignment on May 16 after his attorney waived the right to a preliminary hearing Thursday.The big news in the Cox sexual assault case was the judge's denial of the defense attorney's request to have the hearing closed to the media and the public. Cox is facing two felony charges accusing him essentially of raping a helpless victim.
"helpless victim". Dayum...they make it sound like she's a paraplegic. :rolleyes:

SR
03-11-2011, 09:00 AM
I understand what you're saying Red, but did you know that in most states, should she choose to pursue it, you can be charged with sexual assault (rape) for having sex with a woman who is intoxicated? By the way, this includes your spouse. Whether or not she "consents", the laws in some states read that someone who is intoxicated is not in their right mind and therefore cannot give consent.

This could be a simple matter of him having sex with a drunk girl (much like Rapeslesburger without the getting your bodyguards to drag her into the bathroom and guard the door) who later regretted it and is now pressing charges.

I'm going to wait until the jury's verdict on this one.

From what they are saying now, Cox's lawyers have waived the right to a hearing and are going directly to trial which I believe starts in mid-May.

Like I said, if that's the case, he put himself in that position. Knowing the long arm of the law has an indefinite reach, he should have picked and chosen a little more carefully.

HORSEPOWER 56
03-11-2011, 12:54 PM
Like I said, if that's the case, he put himself in that position. Knowing the long arm of the law has an indefinite reach, he should have picked and chosen a little more carefully.

If that was the case Red, 50% of college kids could theoretically be convicted rapists for having sex while drunk...

I'm going to reserve judgement on this one and wait for the jury to decide. If he really raped a woman, I hope he gets life in prison. If he just banged some drunk bar skank and didn't call her later and now she's crying rape because Cox is a pro ball player and she wants $, then I hope he walks.

SR
03-11-2011, 12:56 PM
If that was the case Red, 50% of college kids could theoretically be convicted rapists for having sex while drunk...

Theoretically. And I could have been a time or ten too, but like I said, pick and choose more carefully.

rcsodak
03-12-2011, 10:00 PM
Theoretically. And I could have been a time or ten too, but like I said, pick and choose more carefully.

Exactly. Learn to use an alias at least! Lol

MOtorboat
06-02-2011, 03:30 PM
Judge hears Media's request for opening up the case file to the public...
http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnewsold/ci_18191937

Denver Native (Carol)
07-22-2011, 03:33 PM
from article - this is NOT good, if true :tsk:

The alleged victim in the Perrish Cox rape case believed she was drugged as she partied with two Denver Broncos on the night she was allegedly raped, and wasn't sure she had sex that night until she became pregnant.

DNA tests confirmed Perrish Cox was the father of her baby, though she barely knew him and had never knowingly had sex with him, she told police.

The other two Broncos with the alleged victim that night were Demaryius Thomas and Cassius Vaughn, the affidavit said. The woman said she recalled kissing and being fondled by Thomas, whom she had met at a nighclub, but he said he left the apartment after she passed out. Vaughn was living with Cox at the time and was present when the victim and her friend came home with Thomas and Cox, the affidavit said. The victim's friend had been dating Cox.

full article - http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_18530251

rationalfan
07-22-2011, 03:42 PM
my thoughts on the trial news: this is going to end badly for cox. no proof and I haven't read too much, just a gut feeling. the pregnancy aspect is bad for him. and, for the record, if he did it, i hope he goes to jail. i have no respect for rapists. none.

my thoughts on some of this thread: all you who want a team full of players who never break the law, get over it. like every other aspect of society there will be good and bad characters on the broncos; moreso than than other pockets of society because of the nature of the game. just the way it is.

nevcraw
07-22-2011, 04:00 PM
"helpless victim". Dayum...they make it sound like she's a paraplegic. :rolleyes:

or was roofied. do you mean to sound so insensative or are you making up for loss time on the board with calous remarks about a rape victim?

NightTerror218
07-22-2011, 04:15 PM
The defense has a strong case against him....he did have sex with her and she his pregnant with his kid now.

Just just doesnt remember, she could have drank a lot more then she said and it could have been consensual (what ever the word is) but him being intoxicated too might be enough to get him off.

robert ethan
07-22-2011, 05:03 PM
Cox is done. I doubt he ever plays again in the NFL. Too bad about Thomas being involved. Bey Bey seemed a lot smarter than that.

NightTerror218
07-22-2011, 05:12 PM
http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2011/07/22/is-perrish-cox-finished-with-broncos/7940/

NightTerror218
07-22-2011, 05:15 PM
if Cox is release, who would start opposite of Bailey, think Goodman will be kept or Syd'Quan Thompson would go at it with Cassius Vaughn to start?

NightTerror218
07-22-2011, 05:18 PM
state from the Broncos

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2011/07/22/broncos-release-terse-statement-on-cox/7952/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+dp-blogs-broncos+%28Denver+Post%3A+Sports%3A+Broncos%3A+Blo g%29&utm_content=Twitter

Canmore
07-22-2011, 05:21 PM
Doesn't sound to promising for Cox. He's probably played his last game for us. Too bad.

Dzone
07-22-2011, 05:28 PM
Wow, very surprised about D. Thomas. Maybe he isnt the boy scout we all thought he was. Oh well, he prob has suffered a career ending Achilles injury anyway.

dogfish
07-22-2011, 05:29 PM
posted in the comments on the PFT article:

Roger Goodell has sentenced Perrish Cox and Demariyus Thomas to one hour in a bathroom with Ben Roethlisberger.

NightTerror218
07-22-2011, 05:34 PM
Wow, very surprised about D. Thomas. Maybe he isnt the boy scout we all thought he was. Oh well, he prob has suffered a career ending Achilles injury anyway.

She remembers the D. Thomas stuff though.

NightTerror218
07-22-2011, 05:54 PM
Was just thinking that, there is no proof of drugs being used, there are witnesses to tell whether she was drinking more then she said she did. The fact she waited before reporting. There was no talk of any physical evidence to prove that it happened.

As much as I hope he is locked away if he did rape her, the only proof something happened was the pregnancy which just means no protection was used. I hope this is just not a case of she said it because he is a pro athlete and she got prego and does not want to look like a slut for fooling around with Thomas and then sleeping with her friends bf.

Just thoughs after reading some articles.

broncobryce
07-22-2011, 05:59 PM
So thomas made out with her and touched her boobies and such? So friggin what. Don't be a hypocrite

HORSEPOWER 56
07-22-2011, 07:16 PM
Call AZ and tell them we'll trade them Orton for DRC straight up then just cut Cox. Problem solved.

Dzone
07-22-2011, 07:26 PM
Those guys must have been extremely desperate for a piece of ass

BeefStew25
07-22-2011, 07:27 PM
So thomas made out with her and touched her boobies and such? So friggin what. Don't be a hypocrite

When I was in college, we called that Tuesday.

LTC Pain
07-22-2011, 07:39 PM
Cox didn't show me much potential that he could play CB in the NFL. He could only faceguard and take penalties. I can only remember a couple of plays where he actually looked back at the ball coming his way. No big loss if the Broncos cut does with him.

Dzone
07-22-2011, 07:50 PM
so where is the baby?

Denver Native (Carol)
07-22-2011, 08:05 PM
@AdamSchefter Adam Schefter

In touch with @georgeatallah: Roger, De, officials from both sides working all weekend to finish deal points, process for players reforming.
30 minutes ago via UberSocial for BlackBerry

http://twitter.com/#!/AdamSchefter/statuses/94565760449527808

dogfish
07-22-2011, 08:22 PM
so where is the baby?

i think the dingo ate it. . .

HORSEPOWER 56
07-22-2011, 08:30 PM
i think the dingo ate it. . .

I was gonna say that it got left with a baby sitter and was never reported as missing for 30 days...

Too soon?

Dzone
07-23-2011, 08:02 AM
If there is a child then of course Cox is going to be paying. Did she have an abortion?

MOtorboat
07-23-2011, 08:45 AM
That doesn't sound very good for Cox.

From the affadavit, Bey, Bey did nothing wrong at all.

BroncoJoe
07-23-2011, 10:38 AM
Welcome home, Cox.

http://electls.blogs.wm.edu/files/2010/04/1-jail-cell.jpg

robert ethan
07-23-2011, 11:42 AM
Man, that's ugly. Cox is done. Around just long enough to leave a big crap stain on the franchise.

Lonestar
07-23-2011, 11:43 AM
That doesn't sound very good for Cox.

From the affadavit, Bey, Bey did nothing wrong at all.

Other than be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Let's hope that was all his involvement. And he stays away from bad influences.

Hopefully the newbie on staff can help with that stuff.

Canmore
07-23-2011, 12:24 PM
If there is a child then of course Cox is going to be paying. Did she have an abortion?

According to what I read, she terminated the pregnancy.

Denver Native (Carol)
07-23-2011, 01:02 PM
You can download/read the complete affadavit on the following:

http://denver.cbslocal.com/2011/07/22/victim-in-perrish-cox-case-feared-she-was-drugged/?utm_source=home&utm_medium=dl&utm_campaign=victim-feared-she-was-drugged

Dzone
07-23-2011, 01:09 PM
Oh man, thats very sad.
Cox originally denied having sex with the defendant. Now that it has been proven by the pregnacny that he did, what is his story now? So, he lied, prbably under oath. Does that mean there are new charges of perjury? Is this pretty much a guarantee that cox will be convicted?

Canmore
07-23-2011, 01:16 PM
Oh man, thats very sad.
Cox originally denied having sex with the defendant. Now that it has been proven by the pregnacny that he did, what is his story now? So, he lied, prbably under oath. Does that mean there are new charges of perjury? Is this pretty much a guarantee that cox will be convicted?

Haven't heard a new story. His lawyer probably told him not to discuss the case. I haven't seen anything about perjury, they probably are just interested in the rape conviction and it doesn't look good for Cox.

MOtorboat
07-23-2011, 01:27 PM
Oh man, thats very sad.

He hasn't lied under oath. He was testifying in front of a judge, jury or grand jury. To my knowledge lying to investigators isn't a crime. It doesn't help you much in the longrun, but it's not a crime.

Canmore
07-23-2011, 01:32 PM
He hasn't lied under oath. He was testifying in front of a judge, jury or grand jury. To my knowledge lying to investigators isn't a crime. It doesn't help you much in the longrun, but it's not a crime.

You are right. He just lied to the investigators. He appears to have painted himself in a corner by lying, with Thomas' and Vaughn's statements.

BeefStew25
07-23-2011, 01:36 PM

Casey Anthony disagrees.

BroncoJoe
07-23-2011, 01:37 PM

You are right. He just lied to the investigators. He appears to have painted himself in a corner by lying, with Thomas' and Vaughn's statements.

If those investigators are the Police, he can still do time. See Casey Anthony.

BroncoJoe
07-23-2011, 01:39 PM
Casey Anthony disagrees.

Great minds think alike.

Canmore
07-23-2011, 01:40 PM

I am not familiar, maybe you could enlighten me.

MOtorboat
07-23-2011, 01:43 PM
he hasn't lied under oath. He was testifying in front of a judge, jury or grand jury. To my knowledge lying to investigators isn't a crime. It doesn't help you much in the longrun, but it's not a crime.

casey anthony disagrees.

dgp

BroncoJoe
07-23-2011, 01:47 PM
I am not familiar, maybe you could enlighten me.

Casey Anthony was sentenced on Thursday to a four-year jail term, the maximum possible, for lying to the police, . . .

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/08/us/08anthony.html

BroncoJoe
07-23-2011, 01:49 PM
On a side note, MO is becoming quite the multi-quoter.

Canmore
07-23-2011, 01:51 PM
I had forgotten the name. Thanks.

MOtorboat
07-23-2011, 02:21 PM
On a side note, MO is becoming quite the multi-quoter.

The mobile site does it.

BeefStew25
07-23-2011, 11:14 PM
The mobile site does it.

Mo quit being a know it all.

MOtorboat
07-24-2011, 12:08 AM
The mobile site does it.

Mo quit being a know it all.

I'll work on that.

BeefStew25
07-24-2011, 01:07 AM
You tend to get smarmy.

WARHORSE
07-24-2011, 01:02 PM
Oh man, thats very sad.

He will change his story.

He will say he was afraid to tell the truth cause he was afraid D. Thomas would get mad since it seemed like they were an item.........guaranteed.

I have concerns about Vaughn now too.

Why wouldnt he submit to the DNA test voluntarily?

If both of them raped the woman, only one would end up impregnating her.

This is messed up.

And D.T.s testimony pretty much damns Cox. He said Cox told him to do something sexual to her after she had passed out.:tsk:

Im pretty sure we'll be looking for a new corner.