PDA

View Full Version : March Madness

Buff
03-09-2011, 04:53 PM
CU in a barn burner right now in the 1st round of the Big 12 tournament.

Anyone watching? If we win, then we're are one win away from the big dance. A loss means we're NIT bound. Five minutes left.

Buff
03-09-2011, 05:16 PM
Victory!

Denver Native (Carol)
03-09-2011, 11:26 PM
Congratulations to University Northern Colorado - first time EVER they have made it to the big dance. :elefant::elefant:

Northman
03-10-2011, 04:34 AM
Not a CU fan but it would be cool if they made it too the big dance. They have had some impressive wins this year.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-10-2011, 05:29 PM
FINAL - CU 87 - K STATE 75

:elefant: :elefant: :elefant:

Buff
03-10-2011, 05:30 PM
Goin dancin.

Nomad
03-11-2011, 08:15 PM
When does CU convert over to the PAC 10?? I thought I saw some teams on the ESPN ticker already converted over to their new conferences in these basketball tournaments... I could be wrong!

topscribe
03-11-2011, 08:58 PM
Congratulations to University Northern Colorado - first time EVER they have made it to the big dance. :elefant::elefant:

My alma!! :dance:

-----

Buff
03-13-2011, 05:40 PM
******* bullshit

silkamilkamonico
03-13-2011, 05:44 PM
Probably the worst job by the committe in every facet of this in quite some time.

Where is Colorado?

Georgia a 10, but no Alabama?

Way to complete screw OSU, the #1 overall seed in the tournament.

Kentucky a 4 seed, and Florida a 2 seed? What a joke.

Texas a 4 seed? They went from a possible #1 seed, to a 4 seed after losing to Kansas in the cofnerence finals?

Absolutely brutal.

Northman
03-13-2011, 05:46 PM
CU got robbed. They must of lost to some crappy teams to get overlooked for this tournament. Lombardi was quoted in Twitter saying they beat KSU 3 times this year and got snubbed. WOW

Buff
03-13-2011, 05:48 PM
CU beat #5 seed Kansas State three times. 65 RPI. Beat Texas and Missouri. 4-3 against the top 25. Digger Phelps says he is shocked.

topscribe
03-13-2011, 06:16 PM
CU beat #5 seed Kansas State three times. 65 RPI. Beat Texas and Missouri. 4-3 against the top 25. Digger Phelps says he is shocked.

They didn't, by any chance, borrow the HOF committee for this, did they?

-----

elsid13
03-13-2011, 06:17 PM
I still don't understand how PAC-10 champ are 5 seed, it a down year for the Pac-10/12 but a 5 seed?

silkamilkamonico
03-13-2011, 06:21 PM
I still don't understand how PAC-10 champ are 5 seed, it a down year for the Pac-10/12 but a 5 seed?

Good luck trying to figure it out. Absolutely abysimal job by the committee this year. ESPN alnalysts are absolutely bashing them right now, rightfully so.

Clemson has 0 wins against top 50 RPI teams. 0.

OrangeHoof
03-13-2011, 06:22 PM
My condolences to the Buffs. I thought they had made it in. To me, the brackets look lopsided. The East is loaded. Ohio St., North Carolina, Syracuse and Kentucky. That's a lot of rings in that group. Then you have the weak West and the very weak Southeast where Pitt has practically an uncontested layup to the Final Four on paper. But Pitt usually chokes so i don't know who is any good in that bracket.

Florida a two-seed while Texas is a four? You gotta be kidding.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-13-2011, 06:37 PM
Congratulations to UNC - and in regards to CU - From Vic Lombardi:

VicLombardi: Jay Bilas is absolutely blistering the selection committee right now. Says the ommission of CU is "indefensible".

VicLombardi: RT @ZSheely: @VicLombardi #CU hasn't been robbed this bad since Tom Osborne voted for Georgia Tech.

VicLombardi: MIchigan State gets in on rep. Tom Izzo's rep. Nothing more. Joke.

VicLombardi: THEY BEAT KSTATE THREE TIMES. K-STATE GETS A 5-SEED AND CU GETS N-I-T? CRIMINAL.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-13-2011, 07:11 PM
Colorado, probably more than anyone, has a legitimate beef. Kansas State was given a No. 5 seed this year, and Colorado beat the Wildcats three times this year. The Buffaloes beat Texas and they beat Missouri and they beat Colorado State. All three of those teams were ranked higher than anyone beaten by UAB.

Yet, UAB was given an at-large berth. Hard to understand.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2011-03-13/virginia-tech-colorado-feel-biggest-ncaa-snubs-selection-sunday-2011

Denver Native (Carol)
03-13-2011, 07:16 PM
Neither an expanded 68-team field nor an especially mediocre crop of bubble teams is likely to alter our most time-honored Selection Sunday ritual.

As soon as the bracket is revealed, the bellyaching begins.

The most frustrating aspect of this year's bracket was the final few at-large teams, some of which earned bids despite particularly spotty resumes. Clemson made the field despite zero top 50 RPI wins. So did Conference USA champ Alabama-Birmingham even though its best wins were over Virginia Commonwealth and Arkansas. And speaking of VCU, the Rams also got a bid despite finishing fourth in the Colonial Athletic Association and losing five of eight to close the season.

Whereas fans of those schools let out sighs of relief — or in some cases perhaps gasps of surprise — when their schools appeared on the TV screen Sunday evening, a handful of other NCAA tournament hopefuls were not as fortunate. Here's a look at this season's most controversial omissions:

1. Colorado (21-13, 8-8, RPI: 66): Considering Clemson and UAB's lack of quality wins, it's astonishing that Colorado did not make this field. The Buffs' three wins over Kansas State and victories over Missouri and Texas should have been enough to merit an NCAA tournament berth despite mediocre computer numbers dragged down by too many games against teams with RPIs 300 and above.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/blog/the_dagger/post/Colorado-headlines-list-of-biggest-NCAA-tourname?urn=ncaab-wp324

Northman
03-13-2011, 07:21 PM
Im still scratching my head at this.......

topscribe
03-13-2011, 07:22 PM
Im still scratching my head at this.......

Head 'n Shoulders . . . :D

-----

Denver Native (Carol)
03-13-2011, 09:31 PM
The 2011 NIT Tournament begins March 15, with the complete bracket announced on ESPNU shortly after the 2011 NCAA Tournament bracket's unveiling. March Madness snubs Alabama, Colorado, and Virginia Tech drew No. 1 seeds, with Boston College taking the other No. 1.

Left bracket:

No. 1 Colorado Buffaloes vs. No. 8 Texas Southern Wednesday at 7 pm

http://www.sbnation.com/ncaa-basketball/2011/3/13/2048993/2011-nit-tournament-bracket-colorado-virginia-tech-alabama-boston-college

Denver Native (Carol)
03-13-2011, 10:26 PM
LONGMONT — It was a somber mood this afternoon during an NCAA Tournament watch party at the home of Colorado men's basketball coach Tad Boyle when the Buffaloes did not see their name flash up on the TV screen as part of the 68-team bracket.

"I thought we were in. It hurts," Boyle said. "I just feel like the way we're playing, we're one of the top 68 teams. I know that."

Instead, Colorado will be sent to the NIT. The Buffaloes will play at home Wednesday night against Texas Southern (19-12) in the first round of the NIT. Game time is 7 p.m. at Coors Events Center.

"We have to make a statement in the NIT," Boyle said. "Otherwise, talk is cheap.

"I really feel bad for our five seniors who won't get an opportunity to experience the NCAA Tournament. The younger players in our program will, the coaches will. But the seniors won't get that chance."

Buffs senior star Cory Higgins said, "Words can't describe what we're feeling. We have no choice but to move on. We didn't think there was any chance our name wouldn't be there. But it happened. Now we have to deal with it."

Later, on ESPN, Boyle said, "It's mind boggling to me. I'm just shocked."

http://www.denverpost.com/cu/ci_17606667

On the link, the Chairman of the Selection Committee - oh by the way, Gene Smith Athlete Director at Ohio State (duh), tries to explain why Colorado did not make it - does not make any sense to me

Northman
03-14-2011, 03:44 AM
He does have a point, they need to go out and play very well in the NIT (hopefully for them win it) because if the players let the snub effect them there will be a lot of "see, they didnt belong in the regular tournament" talk. CU needs to play really well to show they didnt deserve to be left out.

Broncospsycho77
03-14-2011, 08:36 AM
He does have a point, they need to go out and play very well in the NIT (hopefully for them win it) because if the players let the snub effect them there will be a lot of "see, they didnt belong in the regular tournament" talk. CU needs to play really well to show they didnt deserve to be left out.

No they don't?

That logic year in and year out really irks me for whatever reason (not specifically aiming this to you, Northman), because the circumstances from the regular season and conference championships differ so much from the postseason tournaments, mostly because teams do well to develop a self-fulfilling prophecy of sorts when they get put in the other tournament.

What's the biggest, if not one of the top 2 reasons to play well during the season? To make it to the Big Dance. Well, they don't exactly have that reason to play, now... Talk about buzzkill. Knowing that, at their best, they can be considered the team that "should have been" there.

They shouldn't be playing in the NIT in the first place. They don't need to prove anything... Because they already proved it in the same allotted space as anyone else.

It's true that they would make the ultimate statement by going through and winning the whole thing... But by not winning it, it doesn't necessarily "prove" their snub.

/mini-rant

Buff
03-14-2011, 08:47 AM
I'm distraught over this snub. CU basketball is decent once every 10 years and our star player is sure to leave for the NBA. It's not like we'll just shake this one off and come back next year. It has completely ruined the tournament for me... I have no desire to fill out any ******* brackets... And everytime I think about it it puts me in a shitty mood. **** **** **** **** ****.

BroncoBJ
03-14-2011, 08:56 AM
CU got what they deserved imo. :salute:

Buff
03-14-2011, 09:05 AM
CU got what they deserved imo. :salute:

And you deserve a dick in the eye.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-14-2011, 12:11 PM
Ryan Thorburn, writer for the Boulder Daily Camera, who was on the ticket not long ago, brought up a very interesting point.

Thorburn stated that there are 12 members on the selection committee - Dan Beebe, Big 12 Commissioner, being one of them. Last summer, when the certain teams decided to leave the Big 12, Beebe OPENLY stated his frustration, etc., towards the teams leaving. Therefore, Thorburn is wondering if Beebe really had CU's back, when promoting the teams from the Big 12, which he felt should be selected.

OrangeHoof
03-14-2011, 12:22 PM
Interesting thought but I doubt it holds water. The reason the field continues to grow and the vast majority of the bids go to power conferences is because the conference (including all member schools) makes money based on how many teams they can place in these major sports events.

So if Beebe kept Colorado out, he was robbing money from the other 10 schools that are staying. Six berths divided 12 ways is still better than five berths divided 12 ways. And, in a very lean year for them, why wouldn't the Pac 10 rep notice this and try to help CU out?

Denver Native (Carol)
03-14-2011, 12:52 PM
Interesting thought but I doubt it holds water. The reason the field continues to grow and the vast majority of the bids go to power conferences is because the conference (including all member schools) makes money based on how many teams they can place in these major sports events.

So if Beebe kept Colorado out, he was robbing money from the other 10 schools that are staying. Six berths divided 12 ways is still better than five berths divided 12 ways. And, in a very lean year for them, why wouldn't the Pac 10 rep notice this and try to help CU out?

If the following is correct, it appears the money only goes to the schools participating.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_much_do_college_teams_receive_in_%27prize_mone y%27_for_attending_and_or_winning_in_the_NCAA_tour nament

How much do college teams receive in 'prize money' for attending and or winning in the NCAA tournament?

The NCAA tournament distributes money to conferences based upon how many games the member teams play in the tournament. Then the conference divides that money equally among the member teams. For participation in the tournament the NCAA gives teams a travel allowance for each game that they play, but the real money comes from their share of the conference money. For example the MVC received $2.95 million based upon its success between 2000-2005, whereas the Big 12 received $14.4 million. Teams that make it to the first round this year and lose receive $82,000 in travel money, and they receive more if they advance.

OrangeHoof
03-14-2011, 04:48 PM
I think that's bad wording. If you get six teams in among 12 member schools, the 12 member schools split the profits generated by the six teams. That's why they're a conference - to schedule competition and pool the profits earned. Now, the Big XII does not share tv revenue equally but they still share things like bowl money and appearance money.

Reread the highlighted sentence and you'll see they mean "conference members" not "members who made the tourney".

In other words, Seton Hall and Rutgers are happy that 11 Big East teams got into the tournament even though they aren't one of those teams. They get one share of the profits the other schools make as their reward for getting stomped by those other schools all winter.

BroncoBJ
03-14-2011, 11:33 PM
And you deserve a dick in the eye.

That was rude.

Buff
03-15-2011, 10:13 AM
That was rude.

So was your comment about CU. I'll retract my comment if you apologize for your disparaging, uncalled for remarks.

topscribe
03-15-2011, 12:19 PM
So was your comment about CU. I'll retract my comment if you apologize for your disparaging, uncalled for remarks.

Pity's sake, Buff. Do you sleep with a picture of a bison under your pillow? Maybe
he's a CSU fan. If so, most of them hate CU. I don't see a need for him to
apologize to you for a remark about a college . . .

-----

Buff
03-15-2011, 12:31 PM
Pity's sake, Buff. Do you sleep with a picture of a bison under your pillow? Maybe
he's a CSU fan. If so, most of them hate CU. I don't see a need for him to
apologize to you for a remark about a college . . .

-----

No apology necessary. I'm just saying he deserves a dick in the eye, as do all CSU fans and alumni. Nothing personal.

topscribe
03-15-2011, 01:36 PM
No apology necessary. I'm just saying he deserves a dick in the eye, as do all CSU fans and alumni. Nothing personal.

Now that's more like it :D although CSU is my originally favorite Division I school . . .

But I have friends who are even Raiders fans, so I guess I can have friends who are CU fans . . . http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh256/AZDynamics/Smilies/thdrink.gif

-----

Denver Native (Carol)
03-15-2011, 02:12 PM

I agree that the comment in regards to CU was uncalled for, and rather ridiculous, when the national announcers, analysts, have STATED that CU should have been in. I thought Vitale was going to blow a gasket - he was so upset that CU did not make it.

topscribe
03-15-2011, 02:28 PM
I agree that the comment in regards to CU was uncalled for, and rather ridiculous, when the national announcers, analysts, have STATED that CU should have been in. I thought Vitale was going to blow a gasket - he was so upset that CU did not make it.

Having declared my allegiance to CSU, I was still upset and befuddled over CU's
not being in the tourney. I have seen some dumb things in my time, but this has
to be among the worst . . .

-----

Bullgator
03-16-2011, 11:55 PM
am I even allowed in here?? haha 2 seed =)))))))))))))))

not gonna lie should have been 3 seed

hope UF dont shit the bed, elite 8 is a reality- dont see us getting past pit but billy the kid aint no stranger to the final 4 Go Gators!

OrangeHoof
03-17-2011, 10:19 AM
I think I realize now why Florida got a two-seed. It's because they got put in the Tampa sub-regional and the NCAA wanted the home draw. So UF will get a home court the first two rounds and, if they advance, will go to New Orleans.

The Southeast region has got a lot of choke/upset potential and the first time I mocked through my selections, I came away with Old Dominion going to the Final Four. But ODU could also lose to Butler the first game so I decided not to actually choose that.

Keep in mind, the SE region also is a West region in the first round, giving BYU and Utah St. some love by playing in Denver. IMO, BYU is weakened because they kicked one of their best players off the team and Pitt traditionally gets booted because they can't hit free throws in close games. So Florida could get to the Final Four without being all that good.

Bullgator
03-17-2011, 11:40 AM
I think I realize now why Florida got a two-seed. It's because they got put in the Tampa sub-regional and the NCAA wanted the home draw. So UF will get a home court the first two rounds and, if they advance, will go to New Orleans.

The Southeast region has got a lot of choke/upset potential and the first time I mocked through my selections, I came away with Old Dominion going to the Final Four. But ODU could also lose to Butler the first game so I decided not to actually choose that.

Keep in mind, the SE region also is a West region in the first round, giving BYU and Utah St. some love by playing in Denver. IMO, BYU is weakened because they kicked one of their best players off the team and Pitt traditionally gets booted because they can't hit free throws in close games. So Florida could get to the Final Four without being all that good.

Ill be the first to tell you kentucky is the best SEC team atm. sucks for them they draw a hell of an out. UF is good enough to legit get to the elite eight in the SE... dont see any teams beating UF with the balance it has. UCLA, MSU nah.. UF is a better club than anyone in the SE region they would meet minus PITT. BYU would be better but not without the post presence they lost. UF has 3big men that are pretty good and hard to match up with.

But i think there are at least 12 teams better than UF we just got lucky to be in the SE and draw the teams we did. could be a special year for billy and the boys

OrangeHoof
03-17-2011, 12:04 PM
I'd watch out for Michigan St. They've been Jeckyl & Hyde this year but Izzo has a long history of overachieving in the tournament. Watching Clemson-UWV and it looks like Clemson may be pulling the first upset (unless they tire out in the second half). Just discovered by bedroom doesn't get TruTV.

I read where some Congressman in Connecticut wants to get the UConn game moved off of cable because it was unfair to viewers who don't have cable. Waah. Waah.

OrangeHoof
03-17-2011, 01:04 PM
UWV is starting to pull away on Clemson. ODU-Butler continuing to be a tight game. Morehead St. is blowing out Louisville early but - again - early.

Bullgator
03-17-2011, 06:58 PM
Jim Rome was talking all kinds of shit about how his Gouchos were going to shock the world... he said he was going to tap kegs and burn couches. even called billy donovan eddie from the munsters.

well good going rome you pissed off the gators and killed any shot of a sneaky upset. Gouchos down by 24 @ half

Nomad
03-17-2011, 10:24 PM
It's a little too late for Mich St to come back. UT St staying close with K State!

I like this Alaska time!! It would be 10:21 in Minot now but only 7:21 here! This will make watching college football great!!

Nomad
03-17-2011, 10:45 PM
Mich St 76

UCLA 77

OrangeHoof
03-17-2011, 11:28 PM
Well, I picked some upsets and won a few. Didn't pick Morehead St. though and that is going to haunt me all the way to the Elite 8.

I still can't pick an 8-9 game to save my life though.

Bullgator
03-19-2011, 10:34 AM
Well, I picked some upsets and won a few. Didn't pick Morehead St. though and that is going to haunt me all the way to the Elite 8.

I still can't pick an 8-9 game to save my life though.

Vandy killed me i picked them to get to the sweet 16.. other than that im ok so far... my 8-9 suck too.. who would have thought mich would destroy UT like that.. bye bye pearl.

OrangeHoof
03-19-2011, 05:54 PM
I wonder who had VCU drubbing Georgetown after having to go through a play-in game in Dayton on Wednesday? I'm 25 of 34 so far which is better than I often do in the first round. Louisville and Xavier are the only two major disappoints in my brackets so far.

Northman
03-19-2011, 05:59 PM
Louisville hurt me the most but im still in good shape so far.

Northman
03-19-2011, 06:01 PM
Ill tell you what though the Richmond Spiders are very surprising. That guy Jarrat or whatever his name is, is a blocking machine.

Bullgator
03-19-2011, 06:23 PM
Gators to the sweet 16 bebe... will it be Gonzaga or BYU? i dont want a peice of either to tell the truth... but id rather face BYU... idt ferdette can beat us by himself... we got some serious frontcourt depth.

Bullgator
03-19-2011, 06:24 PM
Butler looks like they belong early

OrangeHoof
03-19-2011, 08:37 PM
Pitt traditionally gets booted because they can't hit free throws in close games. So Florida could get to the Final Four without being all that good.

I wish I listened to my own advice. Pitt loses to Butler because they couldn't hit a free throw and then fouled to put Butler at the line with :01 left.

There must be some sort of cosmic synergy here. The Steelers get every break in the world, the Pirates are the worst team in baseball and the Panthers can't ever hit a clutch free throw. If only the Steelers had to hit free throws but then the refs would just give them more trips to the line.

K-State has already drawn blood from two Badger players and it's just the first half. No blood, no fouls.

Bullgator
03-24-2011, 12:13 PM
Here we go bizzles... sweet sixteen under way soon. Florida-BYU should be an epic game... as good as it gets. Last years game went to double OT before BYU stole the game, this year im thinking UF will have tha last laugh... Jimmer-76 Greatest thing since orange tang-87

Bullgator
03-24-2011, 08:43 PM
WOOOOOOOO! what a game! Next stop Elite 8 bebe.

Northman
03-24-2011, 09:02 PM
although i had picked BYU in my bracket to win this matchup i found myself rooting for the Gators in the end. Unlike last week it would seem that BYU thought it was the Fredette show instead of a team sport. Grats to the Gators for showing how it gets done with unity.

OrangeHoof
03-25-2011, 11:52 AM
I just enjoy anytime Duke or North Carolina get smoked. It's like watching a car splash mud on a billionaire's suit as he's approaching the curb.

Bullgator
03-25-2011, 03:35 PM
I just enjoy anytime Duke or North Carolina get smoked. It's like watching a car splash mud on a billionaire's suit as he's approaching the curb.

lol nice

Nomad
03-26-2011, 10:22 AM
The Kentucky/Ohio State was a great game to watch!!

Kentucky/North Cackalacky tonight!!

BroncoJoe
03-26-2011, 10:54 AM
My 16 year old daughter, who knows VERY little about sports - let alone college basketball - is leading her bracket challenge and will probably win it.

Nomad
03-26-2011, 04:34 PM
Damn.....I thought KEN/UNC was tonight. I really haven't been paying too close attention to the tournament though I am watching Butler/Florida. Arizona/UCONN seem like a good game as well!!

Nomad
03-26-2011, 05:59 PM
Hell of a game so far...Butler/Florida!!

Northman
03-26-2011, 06:07 PM
Got to give it too Butler, they are making a great run here.

BroncoJoe
03-26-2011, 06:12 PM
Got to give it too Butler, they are making a great run here.

Again! That was an exciting game!

Nomad
03-26-2011, 08:18 PM
AZ shooters couldn't come through at the end....solid game!!

Denver Native (Carol)
03-26-2011, 10:11 PM

Why were all of AZ's last shots long shots?:confused: Can not understand why they did not drive to the basket for a possible layup, and even possible foul, giving themselves the chance for OT, or even a 1 point win.

topscribe
03-26-2011, 10:19 PM
Why were all of AZ's last shots long shots?:confused: Can not understand why they did not drive to the basket for a possible layup, and even possible foul, giving themselves the chance for OT, or even a 1 point win.

Live by the sword, die by the sword. The Cats have won previous games by
doing just what they did tonight. Gutsy play . . . just didn't fall.

The Cats proved they can play with anybody. I hope Derrick Williams decides to
go for a National Championship next year, over the lure of the pros. But he will
be delaying an awful lot of money . . . not likely, I'm afraid . . .

-----

OrangeHoof
03-26-2011, 10:49 PM

Both teams played awful. It was an exciting game with some dramatic runs but there sure were a lot of open shots missed throughout. If either team had been as sharp as they've shown earlier, they could have won easily. Still, surviving is what's important and that seems to be a Calhoun trait. His clubs find ways to survive.

OrangeHoof
03-26-2011, 10:53 PM

So I had the right pairing, just the wrong Cinderella. It was #8 Butler that made it to the Final Four, not #9 Old Dominion. But I was right that the upper seeds in the region were all suspect.

Bullgator
03-26-2011, 11:56 PM
Gratz Butler, hell of a game... my boys really shit the bed, shoulda won by 20. UF gaurds were a non factor =(

still proud as hell... won the SEC and made the elite 8... good job! get em next year.

Nomad
03-27-2011, 03:36 PM
VCU taking down one of the big boys!!

Bronco4ever
03-27-2011, 05:11 PM
VCU vs. Butler in the Final Four?? Awesome! Much respect to both of those schools that had upset after upset each round. It'd be pretty sweet to see a little guy win it all. :salute:

elsid13
03-27-2011, 05:23 PM
This really has been one of the great tourneys ever

OrangeHoof
03-27-2011, 05:25 PM
As one friend said "NOBODY's bracket is clean now".

To think VCU was a bubble team who had to play an extra game just to get into the field and to have made it to the Final 4 is a huge accomplishment. I'm loving all these upsets.

KCL
03-27-2011, 05:49 PM
As one friend said "NOBODY's bracket is clean now".

To think VCU was a bubble team who had to play an extra game just to get into the field and to have made it to the Final 4 is a huge accomplishment. I'm loving all these upsets.

Boy what an upset it is beating KU.

OrangeHoof
03-27-2011, 06:59 PM
A few weeks before the field was announced, I said there was no dominant team this year and that we could see some cinderellas this year. i didn't think it would be like this though. There are NO #1 or #2 seeds left. UConn (3), Kentucky (4), Butler (8) and VCU (11) are the Final Four which then calls into question whether the NCAAs determine a real champion or is simply a war of attrition where it doesn't settle who's best but only who's left.

Broncospsycho77
03-29-2011, 08:48 AM
This just proves that the BCS sucks.

OrangeHoof
03-29-2011, 09:59 AM
Any system sucks sometimes. A championship game exists (other than to make money) to settle the age-old question "who's better? - team x or team y". But there's always someone out there who says "I think team z is better than either of them" so playoffs were born. And like rabbits, the playoffs multiplied from two to four to eight to 16 to 32 to 64 to...

Now we have teams that are mortally offended that they weren't included among a field of 68 teams. But VCU has now proven that even that may not be enough to settle the question. Yet, with every layer of playoffs you add, the more you water down the importance of the regular season and the more winning a championship comes from getting hot at the right time versus actually being the best team.

The Giants didn't have the best record in the NL last year and the Rangers didn't have the best record in the AL last year and yet they both made it to the World Series. The Packers were a wild card team. What did it prove?

So, while expanded playoffs add to the interest and excitement, there's a point where it stops proving which team is best and simply becomes an exercise in survival.

Buff
03-29-2011, 10:12 AM
College basketball has completely devalued the regular season.
College football has completely devalued the post season.

They need to figure it the **** out.

Nomad
04-03-2011, 09:52 AM
Never realized the Final Four was yesterday. I'm surprised Kentucky lost then again I don't really pay attention.

I'll have to remind myself to watch the Final....when is it Monday afternoon/evening. I hope Butler can pull out the win.....go underdogs!!

Nomad
04-04-2011, 07:40 PM
WOW! This game starts pretty late for the east coast!!

KCL
04-07-2011, 02:06 PM
Merchants stuck with KU Final Four T-shirts

LAWRENCE | The Kansas Jayhawks' upset loss in the NCAA tournament wasn't just heartbreaking for some Lawrence store owners — it was also a pain in the pocketbook.

Read more: http://www.kansascity.com/2011/04/07/2783214/merchants-stuck-with-ku-final.html#ixzz1IsEJHcqS

OrangeHoof
04-07-2011, 11:09 PM
BTW, I did predict the eventual National Champion and had the top bracket score in out forum's Yahoo pool. Just thought I'd mention that.