PDA

View Full Version : Defensive Player Evaluation

cuzz4169
03-09-2011, 01:18 PM
I will give you my Defensive Player Evaluation. Again I will use the scale I'm used to 20-80....40 or below is a minus player, 45 is fringe avg, 50 is avg, 55 is above avg, 60 is a plus player, 65 or higher is a plus-plus. I will consider everything from what he's done to position move. The # in () is his potential. If you want an explanation on a player ask.

Feel free to do your own.

Ryan McBean: 45 (45)
Marcus Thomas: 50 (55)
Kevin Vickerson: 50 (55)
Ronald Fields: 45 (45)
Robert Ayers: 55 (60)
Elvis Dumervil: 70 (70)
Mario Haggan: 50 (50)
Jason Hunter: 50 (55)
Joe Mays: 45 (55)
D.J. Williams: 60 (60)
Wesley Woodyard: 45 (55)
Champ Bailey: 75 (75)
Perrish Cox: 45 (55)
Andre' Goodman: 50 (50)
Nate Jones: 45 (45)
Syd'Quan Thompson: 45 (50)
Cassius Vaughn: 45 (50)
David Bruton: 45 (45)
Brian Dawkins: 50 (50)
Renaldo Hill: 50 (50)
Darcel McBath: 45 (55)
Kyle McCarthy: 45 (45)

I can't see giving a 40 to any player in the NFL. Every player has some sort of value, if its special teams or a role player.

vandammage13
03-09-2011, 01:26 PM
My problem with your ratings is that no player is under a 45 (fringe average)....so how is the defense the worst in the league with no below average players? Are you saying it was 100% Wink/McD? It seems with the way you have them rated, our D should have been average or maybe slightly below average.

topscribe
03-09-2011, 01:34 PM
Interesting, Coach.

I really hope that, after the huge bonus they gave Vickerson, they consider
him better than your 50. Of course, we'll see, but they may see some things
in him that I don't.

I guess you may currently be correct on Woodyard on defense. Of course, he
would grade much higher on STs, IMO. I also have high hopes for McBath,
although, currently, he probably fits loosely into the category you gave him.

Good work. Now, how about offense? (Be realistic, now, if you get my drift.)

On second thought, maybe offense wouldn't be such a good idea. May touch
off another battle in an ongoing war . . . if you get my drift . . .

-----

cuzz4169
03-09-2011, 01:39 PM
My problem with your ratings is that no player is under a 45 (fringe average)....so how is the defense the worst in the league with no below average players? Are you saying it was 100% Wink/McD? It seems with the way you have them rated, our D should have been average or maybe slightly below average.

Its hard to give a 40 to a guy in the NFL..If I rate a 40 that means he shouldn't have a job. But if you look at the guys who are 45 and their potential is a 45 that should tell ya enough. plus a guy like Bruton will never be a starting safety in the NFL...well if he is then god help your D, but he's a pretty good special teams player giving him good value. Fringe avg Is nothing special. It's ok to have a couple but we have a few.

Also losing Doom crushed the defense...He makes everyone better on D. If doom plays this past yr we are atleast 2 wins better.

underrated29
03-09-2011, 01:43 PM
I disagree with goody and mcbath.

Goody is a plus player now- one of the better and most underrated cbs in the game. Problem is he is always hurt.

Mcbath- similiar. Dude has potential to be a plus player. His skill set is actually really good. Just he is always hurt.

cuzz4169
03-09-2011, 01:47 PM
Interesting, Coach.

I really hope that, after the huge bonus they gave Vickerson, they consider
him better than your 50. Of course, we'll see, but they may see some things
in him that I don't.

I guess you may currently be correct on Woodyard on defense. Of course, he
would grade much higher on STs, IMO. I also have high hopes for McBath,
although, currently, he probably fits loosely into the category you gave him.

Good work. Now, how about offense? (Be realistic, now, if you get my drift.)

On second thought, maybe offense wouldn't be such a good idea. May touch
off another battle in an ongoing war . . . if you get my drift . . .

-----

Top above avg is pretty good in professional sports it makes you a lot of $.
My point in these Evaluations are, I'm not sure we have any young talent with plus-plus potential. If you see different plz help me see it.

topscribe
03-09-2011, 01:49 PM
Top above avg is pretty good in professional sports it makes you a lot of $.
My point in these Evaluations are, I'm not sure we have any young talent with plus-plus potential. If you see different plz help me see it.

I was trying to say I generally agreed with you.

I am still wondering why Vick got that huge bonus, in fact . . .

-----

cuzz4169
03-09-2011, 01:51 PM
I was trying to say I generally agreed with you.

-----

yea I know :D

cuzz4169
03-09-2011, 01:55 PM
I disagree with goody and mcbath.

Goody is a plus player now- one of the better and most underrated cbs in the game. Problem is he is always hurt.

Mcbath- similiar. Dude has potential to be a plus player. His skill set is actually really good. Just he is always hurt.

You could be right about Mcbath...my evaluation is what I've seen of him..He's hurt a lot but ask yourself has he flashed any star ability when he does play? I haven't seen it. Looking good in training camp practice and in games is a different story.

Goodman I just don't see plus CB at all sorry. at best he's above avg.

topscribe
03-09-2011, 01:58 PM
You could be right about Mcbath...my evaluation is what I've seen of him..He's hurt a lot but ask yourself has he flashed any star ability when he does play? I haven't seen it. Looking good in training camp practice and in games is a different story.

Goodman I just don't see plus CB at all sorry. at best he's above avg.

I believe Goodman is above avg. in coverage and below in tackling. So avg. is
probably a good category for him. Which makes me giddy about the thoughts
of Champ and Peterson back and Goody at Nickel. (Sorry for the off-topic.)

-----

G_Money
03-09-2011, 04:59 PM
Looks about right. I think you've got Ayers too high and Woodyard too low (assuming he's playing the Will), but all around I'd basically agree with that assessment of the upside of our defense.

Hence the need for vast talent importation.

~G

cuzz4169
03-09-2011, 05:42 PM
Looks about right. I think you've got Ayers too high and Woodyard too low (assuming he's playing the Will), but all around I'd basically agree with that assessment of the upside of our defense.

Hence the need for vast talent importation.

~G

Only reason I got Ayers that High is I believe he's a player at the DE position...Can't judge his performance as an OLB. He's strong at the point of attack and can handle all of the RT in the league....could be a better pass rusher at DE we will see.

As for Woodyard I like him but remember these are what I see in game films...I'm not at practice. I'd like to see him play more not just in passing situations neither. Woodyard could be a 60 nothing higher I don't see him as Elite.

topscribe
03-09-2011, 05:51 PM
Only reason I got Ayers that High is I believe he's a player at the DE position...Can't judge his performance as an OLB. He's strong at the point of attack and can handle all of the RT in the league....could be a better pass rusher at DE we will see.

As for Woodyard I like him but remember these are what I see in game films...I'm not at practice. I'd like to see him play more not just in passing situations neither. Woodyard could be a 60 nothing higher I don't see him as Elite.

Fox expressed much the same opinion about Ayers, implying that Ayers would
be much better at DE than he was at OLB.

I see essentially the same for DJ. While I would agree to the 60 at Will, I think
he has been more like somewhere between 50-55 at the other positions. Keep
DJ at Will, and only at Will, and he's a solid 60, IMO . . .

-----

cuzz4169
03-09-2011, 06:14 PM
Fox expressed much the same opinion about Ayers, implying that Ayers would
be much better at DE than he was at OLB.

I see essentially the same for DJ. While I would agree to the 60 at Will, I think
he has been more like somewhere between 50-55 at the other positions. Keep
DJ at Will, and only at Will, and he's a solid 60, IMO . . .

-----

I agree...He's a WLB...yes he's athletically gifted enough to play the other positions but he's better in the Will spot. When he play's MLB or SLB he's just not as good...& god he can't cover anyone. I always see him giving up catches. I would like to see Denver draft Kelvin Sheppard or Martez Wilson later if they can. They could play SLB or MLB or Just sign Rudd or Tulloch.

topscribe
03-09-2011, 06:28 PM
I agree...He's a WLB...yes he's athletically gifted enough to play the other positions but he's better in the Will spot. When he play's MLB or SLB he's just not as good...& god he can't cover anyone. I always see him giving up catches. I would like to see Denver draft Kelvin Sheppard or Martez Wilson later if they can. They could play SLB or MLB or Just sign Rudd or Tulloch.

If I see Wilson in a Denver Broncos uni, I will think I died and went to heaven . . .

-----