PDA

View Full Version : Elway wants Broncos' defense "to get younger"

Denver Native (Carol)
03-09-2011, 10:51 AM
Plenty of big numbers — bonus dollars and salary figures — can explain why the Broncos released veteran defensive tackles Jamal Williams and Justin Bannan last week.

Here's one number to help explain why the team chose to extend defensive tackle Kevin Vickerson's contract before he became a free agent: 28.

"He was the youngest one of the group and when you look at our defense, and the age on that side, we have to get younger," John Elway, the Broncos' executive vice president of football operations, said Tuesday.

With Vickerson signing a two-year deal that includes a $1 million bonus, the Broncos have three defensive tackles on their roster. The Broncos extended a restricted free-agent tender to Marcus Thomas last week, but they expect Thomas to test the free-agent market.

Elway said he would like to talk to Williams and Bannan once the NFL has a new collective bargaining agreement.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_17569982

Dzone
03-09-2011, 11:04 AM
Smart move.

UnderArmour
03-09-2011, 11:09 AM
Well he can start by signing 2 or 3 safeties and cutting Dawkins and Renaldo "over the" Hill. Melvin Bullitt, Michael Huff, Donte Whitner, Danieal Manning, Eric Weddle, Roman Harper anyone?

Lonestar
03-09-2011, 11:21 AM
There is a huge difference in keeping the leader of the team in Dawkins and getting rid of very over the hill DL guys that are not even playing every down.

Even if Dawkins does not have the speed to be run with the kiddies most of the time he has the experience to be in the right spot to make the play because he anticipates the play.

Let's hope they either pick up a safety in the draft and let the wise old man mentor him.
Best of all worlds opposed to spending a ton of money on an UFA.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

vandammage13
03-09-2011, 11:40 AM
There is a huge difference in keeping the leader of the team in Dawkins and getting rid of very over the hill DL guys that are not even playing every down.

Even if Dawkins does not have the speed to be run with the kiddies most of the time he has the experience to be in the right spot to make the play because he anticipates the play.
Let's hope they either pick up a safety in the draft and let the wise old man mentor him.

I don't dispute the fact that Dawkins is a leader and his value in that regard shouldn't be understated...However, on the field it certainly seemed like he was in the wrong place more often than not last year, so his value in terms of tangible production is no longer there.

Even if he is smart enough to be able to anticipate what is going to happen during a play, he no longer possesses the skill and talent required to do anything about it. I think that was pretty evident last year.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-09-2011, 11:42 AM
I don't dispute the fact that Dawkins is a leader and his value in that regard shouldn't be understated...However, on the field it certainly seemed like he was in the wrong place more often than not last year, so his value in terms of tangible production is no longer there.

Even if he is smart enough to be able to anticipate what is going to happen during a play, he know longer possesses the skill and talent required to do anything about it. I think that was pretty evident last year.

Let's keep in mind that Dawkins was anything but healthy last year.

vandammage13
03-09-2011, 11:43 AM
Let's keep in mind that Dawkins was anything but healthy last year.

And with his age, that will most likely continue to be an issue. Injury problems tend to get worse with age, not better.

Lonestar
03-09-2011, 11:50 AM
Yet the defense sucked even worse when he was not on the field

It is not just the play of the individual. But of the team He was emotional leader.

Find someone to take that spot with as much intensify and smarts and we will talk.

Dirk
03-09-2011, 11:50 AM
And with his age, that will most likely continue to be an issue. Injury problems tend to get worse with age, not better.

I totally agree. I love BDawk. I think he is one of the best ever. But last year should have been the eye opener that we need a younger, faster Safety. Nothing against him, he is just winding down in his career.

rcsodak
03-09-2011, 12:33 PM
I totally agree. I love BDawk. I think he is one of the best ever. But last year should have been the eye opener that we need a younger, faster Safety. Nothing against him, he is just winding down in his career.
They have a younger S in McBath, who was injured. And nobody here can say a FA/drafted S would be any different.
A mix of youth/vet is necessary....and I'm pretty sure Fox wont keep a player he has no ties to if he feels he can't help.

Dirk
03-09-2011, 12:37 PM
They have a younger S in McBath, who was injured. And nobody here can say a FA/drafted S would be any different.
A mix of youth/vet is necessary....and I'm pretty sure Fox wont keep a player he has no ties to if he feels he can't help.

I'm not saying get rid of Dawk. He is great for depth and leadership. What I am saying is that he is winding down in his career and his best days were in Philly.

cuzz4169
03-09-2011, 01:20 PM
Boy do I agree, Younger & Faster please.

LordTrychon
03-09-2011, 01:29 PM
Man, I'm not sure I agree with this... we should start cutting the young guys and bring in some older, slower guys.

Lonestar
03-09-2011, 02:03 PM
Let me add that Denver has been known for have extraordinary safeties if not two atleast one.

We sucked after Atwater left till Lynch came in and then again after he retired till Dawkins appeared.

It is time to get a couple of kids in the draft to be the future.

That said weddle would be a double whammy as he is good and he weakens the bolts.

Shananahan
03-09-2011, 08:11 PM
You must have been watching some games with your eyes closed last season if you believe that. Regardless of how much he anticipated anything, there were multiple, multiple times where he was too late to make a tackle, break up a pass, etc. Whether this is because he was hurt or because he's just slowing down, I don't see any logical argument for why it will do anything but continue and progress in the future.

Bullgator
03-09-2011, 08:28 PM
Well he can start by signing 2 or 3 safeties and cutting Dawkins and Renaldo "over the" Hill. Melvin Bullitt, Michael Huff, Donte Whitner, Danieal Manning, Eric Weddle, Roman Harper anyone?

Ahmad Black FS is a STEAL as a 2nd 3rd rounder

HORSEPOWER 56
03-09-2011, 08:30 PM
Man, I'm not sure I agree with this... we should start cutting the young guys and bring in some older, slower guys.

Isn't that what McDaniels did when he got rid of guys like Torain and Hillis in favor of guys like Jordan and Buckhalter?

HORSEPOWER 56
03-09-2011, 08:40 PM
Ahmad Black FS is a STEAL as a 2nd 3rd rounder

Why, because he's a Gator?

Something about a 5'9" 185lb Safety that runs a 4.7 40 that makes me think...Hmmm.... NO THANKS.

He's small for an NFL Corner much less a Safety. Oh, and he's slow - what a bonus! Ryan Matthews and Michael Bush will run over him and Jamal Charles, Dexter McCluster, and Darren McFadden will run by him.

Even if he had mad ball skills, you have to be able to tackle NFL RBs and NFL TEs to play Safety in the pros.

He's a projected 3rd round pick in a WEAK Safety class if that tells you anything.

Lonestar
03-09-2011, 09:37 PM

Yet the defense sucked even worse when he was not on the field

It is not just the play of the individual. But of the team He was emotional leader.

Find someone to take that spot with as much intensify and smarts and we will talk.

Let me add that Denver has been known for have extraordinary safeties if not two atleast one.

We sucked after Atwater left till Lynch came in and then again after he retired till Dawkins appeared.

It is time to get a couple of kids in the draft to be the future.

That said weddle would be a double whammy as he is good and he weakens the bolts.

You must have been watching some games with your eyes closed last season if you believe that. Regardless of how much he anticipated anything, there were multiple, multiple times where he was too late to make a tackle, break up a pass, etc. Whether this is because he was hurt or because he's just slowing down, I don't see any logical argument for why it will do anything but continue and progress in the future.

Cherry pick much?

That said

I get it your weddles cousin.

Even Champ was late to the Dance a few times. There is not a single player in the NFL that does not get beat from time to time..

I'll take the occasional issue and keep the leadership that he brings, the intensity that everyone else tries to match.

Find me a young Dawkins and we can talk..