PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Cincy Jungle Mock Draft

cuzz4169
03-08-2011, 11:06 PM
A couple good points in this article....By the way I'm not saying this is my pick just posting article....I wouldn't be crushed like some of you though if we take Peterson.

One defensive lineman alone -- whether taken in the first round or not -- will not solve all of the Broncos front-seven problems. Dareus, for all his incredible performance at the combine, was a 3-4 DE and this is a team converting to a 4-3 front that needs DTs more than DEs. Unless they are sure he's the next Ndamukong Suh, absolutely sure he'll convert seamlessly from a 5-technique DE to a 3-tech DT in a single year without a single hitch, he's neither the safe nor the right pick. Especially with the potential for a reduced offseason (so far as we know at this time, at least).

However, Peterson -- who nearly everybody rates as the absolute best player in the draft -- could shore up the secondary and special teams for years. Peterson and Bailey playing side by side in Denver’s secondary could help blanket other teams’ receivers while the Broncos front seven does what it can to stop the run and rush the passer. Bailey and Peterson are both good enough to be put on an island.

Peterson can also help return punts and kicks for Denver. He has the a rare athletic ability to allow him not only to cover any receiver one-on-one but can return any punt or kick for a touchdown. He is the complete package for Denver’s secondary.

The Broncos can look into using their second, third and later picks on finding new linebackers and defensive lineman. But especially with an inexperience front-office guy running the show now, their first-round pick needs to be the safest one, and that pick is Patrick Peterson.

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2011/3/8/2037673/2011-cincy-jungle-mock-draft-the-denver-broncos-select

Northman
03-09-2011, 04:59 AM
For goodness sake....

Shananahan
03-09-2011, 07:23 AM
Anybody who says they don't see the logic in that argument isn't thinking broad enough, in my opinion. I want Dareus> Bowers> trade down> Peterson> Fairley in that order, but I would not complain at all with Peterson in the first. I can't see him busting. My satisfaction with that draft would be entirely dependent on the rest of the picks. I want DL and LB. Safety if we can manage that.

HORSEPOWER 56
03-09-2011, 07:42 AM
I don't care how good a secondary is. They can't "blanket" anyone for 5+ seconds.

Once again, who's stopping the run while Peterson and Bailey are "blanketing" receivers? We were 25th vs the pass last year with Bailey. I'm sorry, but Peterson won't be that much of an upgrade over Cox or Goodman his first year really enough to change that number without a significant improvement in the pass rush (which hopefully the return of Doom will help with). We were DEAD LAST vs the run. How does Peterson help there?

The argument that Peterson is the best for us just because he's the BPA and he's going to somehow improve our defense in a position that isn't a weakness for us, is silly.

This argument for why we should draft Peterson "well if you have 2 shutdown CBs, then it helps the pass rush" is like arguing to draft a new QB or RB when your O-line straight sucks. "but, a new QB with a quicker release and better mobility will take less sacks" or "a faster/bigger RB will be able to hit the holes better before they close and will be able to avoid all those defenders in the backfield so he won't have as many negative runs..." or even, "our QB sucks, lets get him another WR to throw to, that should help his inability to read a defense, scramble, and throw accurately..."

It's reverse logic and it's been proven to be completely FALSE over and over again. Great O-lines make great offenses and great D-lines make great defenses. Period.

Oh, and the #2 overall pick won't be returning kicks and punts, either...

SOCALORADO.
03-09-2011, 08:35 AM
I don't care how good a secondary is. They can't "blanket" anyone for 5+ seconds.

Once again, who's stopping the run while Peterson and Bailey are "blanketing" receivers? We were 25th vs the pass last year with Bailey. I'm sorry, but Peterson won't be that much of an upgrade over Cox or Goodman his first year really enough to change that number without a significant improvement in the pass rush (which hopefully the return of Doom will help with). We were DEAD LAST vs the run. How does Peterson help there?

The argument that Peterson is the best for us just because he's the BPA and he's going to somehow improve our defense in a position that isn't a weakness for us, is silly.

This argument for why we should draft Peterson "well if you have 2 shutdown CBs, then it helps the pass rush" is like arguing to draft a new QB or RB when your O-line straight sucks. "but, a new QB with a quicker release and better mobility will take less sacks" or "a faster/bigger RB will be able to hit the holes better before they close and will be able to avoid all those defenders in the backfield so he won't have as many negative runs..." or even, "our QB sucks, lets get him another WR to throw to, that should help his inability to read a defense, scramble, and throw accurately..."

It's reverse logic and it's been proven to be completely FALSE over and over again. Great O-lines make great offenses and great D-lines make great defenses. Period.

Oh, and the #2 overall pick won't be returning kicks and punts, either...

:lol:
Patty Petersen 4.34 40
Joshy Barrett 4.34 40
:lol:

SOCALORADO.
03-09-2011, 08:42 AM
A couple good points in this article....By the way I'm not saying this is my pick just posting article....I wouldn't be crushed like some of you though if we take Peterson.

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2011/3/8/2037673/2011-cincy-jungle-mock-draft-the-denver-broncos-select

Good thing DEN doesnt actually have "sexsalad" in the war room on draft day!
Once again tryin to bring this great site down into the broncomania dumpster.

Traveler
03-09-2011, 10:44 AM
Dareus or Peterson have to be the pick at #2.

We all know that denver has neglected the DL for far too long. We have to finally address it, but I'm not sold on any of the linemen considered for the top five. The more serious need for DT's can be addressed in the second round IMO.

Having said that, I wouldn't be upset if Dareus is the choice at #2.

LTC Pain
03-09-2011, 10:55 AM
Dareus or Peterson have to be the pick at #2.

We all know that denver has neglected the DL for far too long. We have to finally address it, but I'm not sold on any of the linemen considered for the top five. The more serious need for DT's can be addressed in the second round IMO.

Having said that, I wouldn't be upset if Dareus is the choice at #2.

This is what I was thinking as well. If the Broncos pass on Dareus/Fairley to take Peterson with the #2 pick I'm okay with it. That's if the Broncos use the two 2nd round picks to address the need at DT. If this draft is as deep at the defensive line as I've heard (I'm no expert) then taking Peterson at #2 may not be such a gamble. But some will gripe that the Broncos are not addressing a glaring weakness. Like someone else said, look at what the Broncos do after the 1st round with all their picks.

Traveler
03-09-2011, 10:58 AM
This is what I was thinking as well. If the Broncos pass on Dareus/Fairley to take Peterson with the #2 pick I'm okay with it. That's if the Broncos use the two 2nd round picks to address the need at DT. If this draft is as deep at the defensive line as I've heard (I'm no expert) then taking Peterson at #2 may not be such a gamble. But some will gripe that the Broncos are not addressing a glaring weakness. Like someone else said, look at what the Broncos do after the 1st round with all their picks.

Hell, look at what they do with some of their first round picks.;)

Fan in Exile
03-09-2011, 11:50 AM
I think the moronic thing about the point in the OP is that he understands we need more than one D-line, then he urges us to take a CB.

cuzz4169
03-09-2011, 12:50 PM
Not arguing to draft Peterson, most of you know I think he's best player in draft. My question is do we know our talent is really that bad or is it Coaching and game planning or a little of both? We haven't had any stability on defense from a coach in how long? Our defense was pretty good at the start of the 2009 season with most of the same player until Mcdouche started changing shit....I just don't understand the logic of we HAVE to take D Line at #2 its a 7 rd draft plus FA and in FA there are 2 pretty good D lineman be nice to get 1 of them. It's about team defense not just about the D-line.
If one player is that good regardless of position why wouldn't you take him? He's a defensive player any defensive player would help us. Our pass defense sucked so bad bc, it doesnt help that our safety's can't cover and we don't have another CB..Goodman was hurt and we had rookie bums trying to fill in. Again pass defense is a team defensive thing. LBs need to cover, d-line needs pressure, safeties need to cover. Doom will help a lot also. Honestly I think our D-line as a whole (right now) has more talent than our secondary. Who is above avg in our secondary besides champ? or has a lot of potential?

Like I said I would be pumped with any of the top 5 guys. Just think its crazy people saying it HAS to be a D-lineman. When most believe Peterson IS THAT GOOD.

SOCALORADO.
03-09-2011, 01:39 PM
Patty Petersen 4.34 40
Joshy Barrett 4.34 40

cuzz4169
03-09-2011, 01:49 PM
Patty Petersen 4.34 40
Joshy Barrett 4.34 40

What does that mean? Josh Barrett was fast? Nice...

topscribe
03-09-2011, 01:55 PM
Not arguing to draft Peterson, most of you know I think he's best player in draft. My question is do we know our talent is really that bad or is it Coaching and game planning or a little of both? We haven't had any stability on defense from a coach in how long? Our defense was pretty good at the start of the 2009 season with most of the same player until Mcdouche started changing shit....I just don't understand the logic of we HAVE to take D Line at #2 its a 7 rd draft plus FA and in FA there are 2 pretty good D lineman be nice to get 1 of them. It's about team defense not just about the D-line.
If one player is that good regardless of position why wouldn't you take him? He's a defensive player any defensive player would help us. Our pass defense sucked so bad bc, it doesnt help that our safety's can't cover and we don't have another CB..Goodman was hurt and we had rookie bums trying to fill in. Again pass defense is a team defensive thing. LBs need to cover, d-line needs pressure, safeties need to cover. Doom will help a lot also. Honestly I think our D-line as a whole (right now) has more talent than our secondary. Who is above avg in our secondary besides champ? or has a lot of potential?

Like I said I would be pumped with any of the top 5 guys. Just think its crazy people saying it HAS to be a D-lineman. When most believe Peterson IS THAT GOOD.

I wouldn't kick in my TV's picture tube (I still have a CRT) if they drafted
Peterson, provided they devoted the 2nd round to DT. I don't believe we
would ever regret having the likes of Peterson on our team . . .

-----

cuzz4169
03-09-2011, 02:01 PM
I wouldn't kick in my TV's picture tube (I still have a CRT) if they drafted
Peterson, provided they devoted the 2nd round to DT. I don't believe we
would ever regret having the likes of Peterson on our team . . .

-----

OMG picture tube what is that??!! Agree & maybe sign one of the two top d-lineman in FA Brandon Mebane or Barry Coefield....I also like Cullen Jenkins moving to DT in a 4-3.

topscribe
03-09-2011, 02:02 PM
OMG picture tube what is that??!! Agree & maybe sign one of the two top d-lineman in FA Brandon Mebane or Barry Coefield....I also like Cullen Jenkins moving to DT in a 4-3.

I'm hoping against hope Austin will slide and be there. I really like him . . .

-----

BroncoWave
03-09-2011, 02:02 PM
Patty Petersen 4.34 40
Joshy Barrett 4.34 40

Darrelle Revis 4.39 40
Troy Polamalu 4.33 40

Hey look, I can play this stupid game too!

SOCALORADO.
03-09-2011, 02:03 PM
What does that mean? Josh Barrett was fast? Nice...

LaDeFrickin DaRon Landry 4.35 40

SOCALORADO.
03-09-2011, 02:03 PM
Darrelle Revis 4.39 40
Troy Polamalu 4.33 40

Hey look, I can play this stupid game too!

You forgot one, here.

nevcraw
03-09-2011, 02:17 PM
I am all for drafting PP if the John's do not think there is a bellcow on the DL worth the number 2 pick. trading down is not guarranteed -- this pick is already high risk based on value so IMO drafting BDPA is the only way to go..
seems to major risk with everyone except PP -- you all better get come grips he may end up our guy..

NightTerror218
03-10-2011, 07:52 PM

Well i have not heard about Fox and Elway going to LSU to take a look at him....Auburn, Bama, and Texas A&M so far

PAINTERDAVE
03-10-2011, 08:29 PM
If they were gonna take Peterson... would they have let Bannon walk over a half a million dollar bonus payment?

I think releasing Bannon telegraphs their next move.

And if Peterson is all that... we should be able to move down a few slots and add extra draft choices and still get our d-lineman.

I Eat Staples
03-10-2011, 09:22 PM
I agree with those of you that say we need D-Line and that a good D-Line is more important than a good secondary. However, we're not going to be competitive this year no matter what. If Peterson is the best player available, why not take him and worry about D-Line in the 2nd round as well as next year? This is at least a 3 year project.

I'm not saying we necessarily should take him, but I wouldn't be the least bit upset if we did. I'd be fine with Bowers, Fairley, Dareus, or Peterson. I think all of them can be star players for years and we have a need at every position anyway. As long as we get a defensive star, I'll be happy.

HORSEPOWER 56
03-10-2011, 09:39 PM
I agree with those of you that say we need D-Line and that a good D-Line is more important than a good secondary. However, we're not going to be competitive this year no matter what. If Peterson is the best player available, why not take him and worry about D-Line in the 2nd round as well as next year? This is at least a 3 year project.

I'm not saying we necessarily should take him, but I wouldn't be the least bit upset if we did. I'd be fine with Bowers, Fairley, Dareus, or Peterson. I think all of them can be star players for years and we have a need at every position anyway. As long as we get a defensive star, I'll be happy.

Because if we continue to try to repair the crack in the Hoover dam with duct tape and bubble gum eventually the dam will break...

Oh wait, I'd call 32nd vs the run and 32nd overall I hope you can swim because the dam doesn't exist. We've become every NFL RB's rebound game. We turn scrubs into pro-bowlers and make good RBs look like all-pros.

We can't get any worse. For all of you guys saying "address D-line in the 2nd round", have you given any thought to the fact that a full 1/2 of the 1st round (16 picks) are likely to be Defensive Linemen?

Do you really want to wait around to try to pick over the scraps that 16 other teams left behind? We don't just need to score a hit with one DL this draft. We need to spend our first four picks trying to rebuild our defensive line from pretty much scratch.

With 7 CBs on the roster (6 if Cox ends up in the slammer), one of whom is a HOFer, CB shouldn't even be considered.

topscribe
03-10-2011, 09:39 PM
If they were gonna take Peterson... would they have let Bannon walk over a half a million dollar bonus payment?

I think releasing Bannon telegraphs their next move.

And if Peterson is all that... we should be able to move down a few slots and add extra draft choices and still get our d-lineman.

Except that Elway said he hoped to get back together with Bannan, whatever that means . . .

-----

I Eat Staples
03-10-2011, 10:18 PM
Because if we continue to try to repair the crack in the Hoover dam with duct tape and bubble gum eventually the dam will break...

Oh wait, I'd call 32nd vs the run and 32nd overall I hope you can swim because the dam doesn't exist. We've become every NFL RB's rebound game. We turn scrubs into pro-bowlers and make good RBs look like all-pros.

We can't get any worse. For all of you guys saying "address D-line in the 2nd round", have you given any thought to the fact that a full 1/2 of the 1st round (16 picks) are likely to be Defensive Linemen?

Do you really want to wait around to try to pick over the scraps that 16 other teams left behind? We don't just need to score a hit with one DL this draft. We need to spend our first four picks trying to rebuild our defensive line from pretty much scratch.

With 7 CBs on the roster (6 if Cox ends up in the slammer), one of whom is a HOFer, CB shouldn't even be considered.

I fully understand that, but what I'm saying is, what does it matter if we get a star D-Linemen this year or next? By the time we fix our D-Line, CB will be a weakness. We're going to have to address it anyway, so it doesn't matter which order we do it in.

If we feel Peterson is the best option, I won't have a problem with it, nor will I have a problem if we feel Fairley, Dareus, or Bowers is.