PDA

View Full Version : YOUR Favorite 3 Non-Superbowl Broncos Games

MasterShake
10-02-2008, 04:47 PM
Simple just like the title says. Top 3 Broncos games for you not counting Super Bowls.

In no particular order:

1. 2005 AFC Divisional Game against New England. First playoff game and playoff win since Elway.

2. Denver vs. San Diego Sept. 12, 2008- I was there, and that was probably the craziest, most fun game I've been to.

3. Oct 15th 1984, The "Broncos Blizzard" game on Monday night against Green Bay. Best part was we won 17-14! My dad has this game on tape, and its one of the first Broncos games I remember watching.

NameUsedBefore
10-02-2008, 04:53 PM
Well, just off the top of my head...

- The Dolphins/Broncos game (we lost) awhile back with the sequential back-to-back long field goals was incredible.

- Recent SD/DEN game as well, regardless of the call.

- Montana vs. Elway

MileHigh_MadMan
10-02-2008, 04:59 PM
1) The Drive....need I say more.
2) The fumble..
3) The year after the Bears played in the SB (85-86) Denver played the Bears on MNF. Elway was a 1 man gang on offense, scrambling (1 scramble lasted of 20 seconds) and making play after play. Mecklenburg almost kill McMahon and stuffed the 'Fridge' Perry forcing him to fumble(twice). That was the last time the Bears used the Fridge in goal line. After the game Ditka called Elways performance the most dominating performance by an individual player had ever seen and that Elway made it look like he was a grown man being chased by children....Awesome game.

In-com-plete
10-02-2008, 05:00 PM
The Drive.

The Cowboys game in '98.

The Eagles game a few years ago. 2 100 yard rushers and Plummer threw for 300.

nj10
10-02-2008, 05:03 PM
Simple just like the title says. Top 3 Broncos games for you not counting Super Bowls.

In no particular order:

1. 2005 AFC Divisional Game against New England. First playoff game and playoff win since Elway.

Umm...Not the first playoff game since Elway...First playoff win. But not first playoff game.

Timmy!
10-02-2008, 05:10 PM
Broncos vs Chiefs, December 1998. Elway leads the Broncos back from a 21-31 4th quarter deficit to win. It was also the first Bronco game I ever attended in person. The old south stands were insane

The drive

1999 AFCC game vs. Jets. Elways last game in Denver.

Rex
10-02-2008, 05:19 PM
The Drive

The Fumble

Playoffs in KC 97-98

BroncoJoe
10-02-2008, 05:21 PM
The Drive

The Fumble

Playoffs in KC 97-98

Mine too. Although, I'm thinking of a game that could replace The Fumble. Just can't remember it, but will post later.

Buff
10-02-2008, 05:22 PM
AFC Divisional Playoff game against the Pats

The snowy game against the Carolina Panthers where Darion Gordon returned 2 punts for TD's...

Broncos v. Chiefs playoffs at Arrowhead 97-98 like cswil said.

Rex
10-02-2008, 05:22 PM
Mine too. Although, I'm thinking of a game that could replace The Fumble. Just can't remember it, but will post later.

Yeah. I guess I would put the game where Portis put 5 TDs on the board vs KC or the Monday Night Meltdown game in 98 when Brister and co. scorched KC at Arrowhead.

BroncoJoe
10-02-2008, 05:30 PM
I remembered, in no particular order:

The Drive

1991 Houston Playoff game

97 KC Playoff game

Rex
10-02-2008, 05:31 PM
I remembered, in no particular order:

The Drive

1991 Houston Playoff game

97 KC Playoff game

Yeah, I forgot about the Houston playoff game. That was a good one.

Elway to Vance. 4th down conversions. That is probably better than the Fumble.

underrated29
10-02-2008, 05:39 PM
playoff game against pats
portis 5td game
game against jags where TD needed 178 yards to get 2k

Runner up- bears game last year (even though we lost)

Skinny
10-02-2008, 05:41 PM
Cheifs in 03'. Portis rushes for 5 TDS and Trent Green was a hair away from 400 yds passing. Alot of offense in that game. 45-27 good guys.

06' @ Pittsburg 31-20. The offense and defense played extremely well against the 05' SB champs. The big hit forcing Ward to fumble at the goal line was the nail in the coffin.

97' playoff game against the Jaguars. It was a tough loss against the Jaguars the year before in the 96' playoffs. 42-17 was sweet redemption.

MOtorboat
I couldn't remember which year, but I was thinking of the Houston game too.

So...Houston comeback.

I'm going to lump the 1990 playoff games against Pittsburgh, with mile high rocking the cameras and (I think it was NBC) showing Bubby Brister's mom on every other play, and then the championship game where Elway through that long bomb to Michael Young to get the game started.

The Drive.

MOtorboat
superbowl win #1
playoff game against pats

Runner up- bears game last year (even though we lost)

Non Super Bowl. :tsk:

roomemp
10-02-2008, 05:43 PM
All 97-98 Playoffs Win

Jags redemtion game

Chiefs redemtion game

Steelers redemtion game

BroncoJoe
10-02-2008, 05:46 PM
EDIT: You beat me to it!
All 97-98 Playoffs Win

Jags redemtion game

Chiefs redemtion game

Steelers redemtion game

I personally like mine, but you could put these three playoff wins from 1997 up there against any other three wins:

Jacksonville
Kansas City
Pittsburgh

Followed by a stunning victory against Green Bay. Those could arguably be the best three non-Superbowl games in Broncos history.

BroncoWave
10-02-2008, 06:18 PM
1. 05 Divisional playoffs vs. New England
2. 97 Divisional playoffs vs. KC
3. 04 vs. New Orleans (because it was the first Broncos regular season game I attended in person)

MasterShake
10-02-2008, 06:18 PM
Umm...Not the first playoff game since Elway...First playoff win. But not first playoff game.

Doh! I meant to say at Invesco. My bad..

Den21vsBal19
10-02-2008, 06:35 PM
11/15/92 ~ NYJ 13 - 27 Den. A doubleheader in consecutive weeks against the two New York teams, and my only games at Mile High........this one gets the edge as it was the first ;)

01/17/88 ~ The Fumble............I've still got the highlights of this on VHS somewhere, typical Bronco football...............jump out to a big lead, throw it away, snatch the lead then a little magic to win the game :D

12/11/83 ~ Bal 19 - 21 Den..........Look familiar? Elway's first 4th quarter comeback, overturning a 19 point defecit and convincing me the Broncos were the best thing since sliced bread................nearly 25 years later, I still believe :beer:

NightTrainLayne
10-02-2008, 07:35 PM
1991 Houston playoff game

'97 playoff game at K.C.

The Drive

spikerman
10-02-2008, 08:08 PM

Not to pick nits, but I believe that game was against Seattle.

Italianmobstr7
10-03-2008, 12:15 AM
Week 1 of the 1998 season. The year Denver went 14-2. It was the first game that I ever attended. MNF against the Patriots. Bledsoe was qb, Curtis Martin was RB, and Terry Glenn was their WR. Man that was a while ago. Denver won 27-17.

The Broncos vs Chargers game this past year was amazing to watch.

The Broncos beating the Pats in the 05 Divisional title game. I'll never forget Champ's int and 99 yard return.

And a 4th just for fun is the Broncos-Eagles game from 05. That was a blast to watch. Who can forget Todd Devoe scoring late in the 4th to drop 41 on the Eagles, and our D crushing Mcnabb (who I like) time after time.

I'd like some of the older games if I got to see them live. I was born the year of the drive, and the fumble was the year after. The first game that I can honestly remember plays from (although I saw games since I was born, my dad is a lifelong fan) is the 95 game I think where Rod Smith caught the game winning td against Washington. I also remember pretty vividly the Ed McCaffrey td against the Vikings after it was tipped like 2 or 3 times.

topscribe
10-03-2008, 01:11 AM
After 47½ years of Broncos football, there is no way I could single out only
three games. However, three of my favorite are:

1. September 9, 1960, a date that will die with me only when I die with it.
This was the very first game the Broncos ever played and the very first game
ever played in the AFL. Denver beat the Boston Patriots 13-10. I watched
the opening kickoff as a Packers fan and heard the final gun as a Broncos fan.
And I have never looked back.

2. January 1, 1978, the AFC Championship game against the Oakland Raiders.
The Raiders were prohibitive favorites because Craig Morton was in the
hospital. He could barely walk, let alone play football. Moreover, the Raiders
were 11-3 that year (1977), and had thoroughly waxed the Broncos in their
previous game (24-14), just a few weeks before . . . and that was with
Morton. Well, on game day, Morton climbed out of his hospital bed, suited
up, went out and played, and the Broncos played the game of their lives
(they had to), winning 20-17. The Broncos were going to play where we
fans thought they would never play: the Super Bowl.

3. December 27, 1997, Jacksonville Jaguars. The year before, the Jags had
come into the Broncos' own house and handed them a defeat in what the
whole world knew was a fluke . . . but it still deprived the Broncos of a
Super Bowl appearance. This year would be different. The Broncos tore off
their heads and spit down their necks, 42-17. Suhweeet revenge.

No, all my favorite games could fill a book . . . or at least a very long
article. But I will limit them to these three for now.

-----

red98
10-03-2008, 02:07 AM

In no particular order:

2. Denver vs. San Diego Sept. 12, 2008- I was there, and that was probably the craziest, most fun game I've been to.

3. Oct 15th 1984, The "Broncos Blizzard" game on Monday night against Green Bay. Best part was we won 17-14! My dad has this game on tape, and its one of the first Broncos games I remember watching.

Great question, for me it's:

AFC championship game over Cleavland(1)

AFC championship game over Cleavland(2)

Playoff win against Houston. I watched this game with a bunch of friends who stopped by to visit during the holidays. They were not especially football fans and
none were Broncos fans. By the last few minutes of the game they were all John Elway fans. (at least for awhile);)

Shazam!
10-03-2008, 02:17 AM
Non Super Bowl years...?

(Although this is two games, both happened in 1992)-Broncos hosted the NYJ and NYG back to back weeks which never happened before, and slaughtered both teams!

91- Elway's famous/INfamous 'duck' play (TD to Sharpe) @ Seattle.

95- Elway and Co. eviscerated the Raiders on MNF, I think it was 33-0. It was especially sweet after getting embarassed by LA in '94. Everyone knew Shanahan's Broncos would be Super one day...

BCJ
10-03-2008, 02:47 AM
Elways comebacks seem to fall into these catagories.
1) Elway's 2 tds in under 2 minutes vs Marty (of course) and the CHiefs
2) Drive one
3) Drive 2

Sassy
10-03-2008, 06:27 AM
Broncos Vs. Vikes in '96
Broncos are behind with not much time left on the clock...Elway throws...it bobbles about 4-5 times and Eddie Mac comes down with the ball in the endzone for the winning TD. Right in front of us! The Vikes fans sitting next to me are just pissed! LOL!

Den21vsBal19
10-03-2008, 06:52 AM
2. January 1, 1978, the AFC Championship game against the Oakland Raiders.
The Raiders were prohibitive favorites because Craig Morton was in the
hospital. He could barely walk, let alone play football. Moreover, the Raiders
were 11-3 that year (1977), and had thoroughly waxed the Broncos in their
previous game (24-14), just a few weeks before . . . and that was with
Morton. Well, on game day, Morton climbed out of his hospital bed, suited
up, went out and played, and the Broncos played the game of their lives
(they had to), winning 20-17. The Broncos were going to play where we
fans thought they would never play: the Super Bowl.

-----

I've just gotten that game in a DVD set..............I'm looking forward to watching it, for the first time, more than ever now :D

NightTrainLayne
10-03-2008, 08:45 AM
Week 1 of the 1998 season. The year Denver went 14-2. It was the first game that I ever attended. MNF against the Patriots. Bledsoe was qb, Curtis Martin was RB, and Terry Glenn was their WR. Man that was a while ago. Denver won 27-17.

This was the first and the last time that I ever put money on a Broncos game. I was in college, and had this loud-mouth Patriot fan at work that was going on and on about how the Pat's season was going to be great.

I told him we were all tired of hearing it and to give it a rest. He gave me one of those "put your money where your mouth is" lines. I agreed, but on one added condition to the bet. . .that he couldn't talk about the Patriots for the rest of the season if the Broncos won.

Ahhh, that was a sweet season. .. . I made sure to talk about the Broncos after every game, and we won just a few games that year ;) .

Den21vsBal19
10-03-2008, 09:37 AM
This was the first and the last time that I ever put money on a Broncos game. I was in college, and had this loud-mouth Patriot fan at work that was going on and on about how the Pat's season was going to be great.

I told him we were all tired of hearing it and to give it a rest. He gave me one of those "put your money where your mouth is" lines. I agreed, but on one added condition to the bet. . .that he couldn't talk about the Patriots for the rest of the season if the Broncos won.

Ahhh, that was a sweet season. .. . I made sure to talk about the Broncos after every game, and we won just a few games that year ;) .
That's the thing that I don't get :(

I worked with a guy who was a Steelers fan, despite being originally from Cleveland :confused:, who was unfortunately around for the AFCCG, and I've worked with other odds & sods of fans over the years, but not enough to be able to shoot the shit :sad:

Thnikkaman
10-03-2008, 09:46 AM
Yeah, I forgot about the Houston playoff game. That was a good one.

Elway to Vance. 4th down conversions. That is probably better than the Fumble.

I remember talking to my dad who was at work watching the game on a small black and white. There was something like 4 minutes left and my Dad called to see if I was watching. The conversation went something like this:

Dad - "You watching the game son?"

Me - "No, I just got so frustrated that I turned it off. There is always next year"

Dad - "Turn it back on. Remember, Elway has never given up on a game"

atwater27
10-03-2008, 11:27 AM
Without doing research on the dates.....
The game Atwater had his big hits against Okoye and the Chiefs...
The game where Portis made the Chiefs his beeotch!
The game where TD went over 2000.

DallasChief
10-03-2008, 11:41 AM
I'm torn between the MNF game in '94. Montana vs Elway or the '96 playoff game against Jacksonville.

MOtorboat
10-03-2008, 11:44 AM
I'm torn between the Clinton Portis rolling up 245 and 5 TDs, the 14-10 Broncos win at Arrowhead and the annual Mile High beat down.

Completely agree.

Rex
10-03-2008, 12:06 PM
I am nervous.

NightTrainLayne
10-03-2008, 12:09 PM
I am nervous.

We survived without DC before for a long time. We'll make it through this rough patch as well.

Thnikkaman
10-03-2008, 12:11 PM
Wow. Take this to the lounge boys.

My three favorite games:

The first game I ever went to. I don't remember who we were playing since I was 8, but I loved the experience an it cemented my dedication to the Broncos.

The Monday Night shut-out of the Faiders in 95.

The Drive.

Northman
10-03-2008, 12:13 PM
1. "The Drive"- Watching that live as a young kid was just so exciting it beyond words.

2. Den vs San Diego 85'- Denver blocks a FG attempt by SD in Overtime and Wright or Harden (cant remember which) runs it back for the winning TD.

3. Den vs Jax 98' (Playoff Rematch)- Jax stood no chance as we went out and completely dominated them before reaching our first ever SB win.

tubby
10-03-2008, 12:18 PM
I liked the 1998 divisional game against MIA. 38-3

Rex
10-03-2008, 12:19 PM
2008 Season opener was satisfying. Like a good dump.

tubby
10-03-2008, 12:20 PM
2008 Season opener was satisfying. Like a good dump.

Yeah, a real one wiper.

atwater27
10-03-2008, 12:25 PM
My favorite games ever are all games in which the qweefs get manhandled. Obviously, last weeks game was not one of those, but we have so many past games to draw upon, it's like a neverending supply of bliss. I can see why Chiefs fans are so frustrated in general, even after a recent win.

Denver Native (Carol)
10-03-2008, 12:52 PM
MasterShake had a great idea for this thread; however, some have preferred to get personal. Thread will be closed for clean up.

topscribe
10-03-2008, 02:19 PM
Okay, the thread is now cleaned up and reopened.

The next poster who launches a personal attack will be sentenced to thirty days in the electric chair . . .

-----

underrated29
10-03-2008, 02:42 PM
Non Super Bowl. :tsk:

Damit i suck at life!:tsk::tsk:

BCJ
10-03-2008, 05:23 PM
I'm torn between the MNF game in '94. Montana vs Elway or the '96 playoff game against Jacksonville.

I thought it would be the game that Denver came in as the wild card and beat the snoot out of the CHiefs. We lost almost every game in that year stretch but somehow one important game was won in Arrowhead. I wonder who the Chiefs coach was that game?

broncosfanscott
10-04-2008, 02:12 AM
There are the obvious AFCCGs vs the Browns, however I became a Broncos fan shortly after those games. My three favorite non-superbowl bronco games are the 1997 playoffs when we beat the Jaguars (revenge was sweet) and the road wins at KC and PIT. We did it the hard way and earned every bit of it.

Excluding the playoffs my favorite would have to be TD going over 2,000 yards.