PDA

View Full Version : Will Nix Help Denver Move Down?

WARHORSE
03-06-2011, 02:23 AM
Buddy Nix, GM of the Bills talks at the combine.

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/billboard/2011/02/audio-nix-on-newton-other-options.html

Listen to the audio. Last year Nix said they wanted a RB that could catch out of the backfield.....they took Spiller.

I think theres a great chance they will be looking to get a QB, which in the end will make us a target for teams wanting to move ahead of the BIlls.

Nix coached at Auburn and has connections. You better believe he likes Newton.

If Carolina takes a non QB at 1, the rush will be on imo.

This of course makes the Broncos slot at number 2 a target.

PAINTERDAVE
03-06-2011, 02:45 AM
I heard the radio analysts speculating about this as well...
they seemed to think it very well could happen....
even maybe Buffalo trading with us to insure their pick.
It would be awesome to get the Buffalo #2 pick
and STILL get the guy we want in the first round. :elefant:

bcbronc
03-06-2011, 03:20 AM
be a stupid move by the Bills imo. Fitzpatrick had a solid season for them, and if they want a QB they'll probably be able to get guys like Mallet, Locker, Ponder, etc etc with their 2nd pick. They're a team that can't afford to be giving up extra picks to move up for one of the QBs in this draft class imo. so they probably will. :D

Shananahan
03-06-2011, 04:09 AM
and STILL get the guy we want in the first round.
I refuse to get my hopes up at the thought of such a wonderful thing occurring.

WARHORSE
03-06-2011, 05:07 AM
I heard the radio analysts speculating about this as well...
they seemed to think it very well could happen....
and STILL get the guy we want in the first round. :elefant:

A move from Buffalos third to our second would gain us their third rounder plus a swap of their second with our second from Miami.

So our picks would be

3, 34, 36, 67, 68, and then our sixth and seventh.

That would give me happy feet for a year.

Five top 68 picks, and we still get our man at 3.

In that scenario?

3...Robert Quinn DE

34.....Marvin Austin Dt

36....Martez Wilson LB

67....Ras-Dowling CB

68....BAP

WARHORSE
03-06-2011, 05:11 AM
be a stupid move by the Bills imo. Fitzpatrick had a solid season for them, and if they want a QB they'll probably be able to get guys like Mallet, Locker, Ponder, etc etc with their 2nd pick. They're a team that can't afford to be giving up extra picks to move up for one of the QBs in this draft class imo. so they probably will. :D

heh heh

Shananahan
03-06-2011, 05:11 AM
Why the lovefest for Quinn? Do you just not like any of the defensive tackles? I want Dareus or Peterson if we can't trade down, and have no interest whatsoever in Marvin Austin.

HORSEPOWER 56
03-06-2011, 11:18 AM
Right now, Cam Newton isn't even the top QB on most team's draft board. Blaine Gabbert is still the X-factor because he has yet to work out at all.

Personally, I think this isn't exactly a great draft for QBs because there is no clear cut #1/elite talent. Almost every one of them has major ??? and projects more to be an Alex Smith (Shotgun/spread QBs that never really had to read defenses or ran pro-style offenses) than a Peyton Manning.

IMO, Ryan Mallet projects to be the best QB in this class because he's huge, and can make ALL THE THROWS ACCURATELY. He's this year's Flacco-type of pocket passer. Gabbert, Newton, and Locker all struggle with accuracy and are "one read and then run" QBs...

You know, the same shit they accused Tebow of last year that supposedly should've made him a 3rd round pick. All three of those guys re the SAME PLAYER, yet they are projected in the 1st round.

I just don't see anyone moving up in front of Buffalo to get a QB or them panicking and swapping picks knowing that we won't be taking a QB. It's possible, but I think it wold be foolish in this year's class. Lot's of QBs, but no elite prospects. Drafting Gabbert, Locker, Mallett, Ponder, Dalton, etc if you can't get Newton without having to sell the farm to trade up is the smart move. This draft is littered with second-tier guys.

All Buffalo would have to do is ask us if we're getting legit calls for the #2 overall and what the offer is and then they can sit there and decide if it's worth it. Short of Gabbert/Newton absolutely tearing it up at their pro-days, I just don't see it happening.

hamrob
03-06-2011, 01:31 PM
Right now...I can't see anyone trading up to the #2 spot. The only teams that could possibly do it, would be other top 10 teams. And they would have to give up at least a 2 and 3 to do it. That's a lot of cost to move up just a few spots.

So, for that to happen, there has to be a team or team's that believe that the Bills are going to take a QB (either Gabbert or Newton) and a team is going to have to be in love with that prospect. When you look at the 8 teams that could possibly do it...(Buff, Cinn, AZ, Tenn & WA) seem to be the ones that would consider it. Cleveland has Colt McCoy and don't look like they are going to give up on him that quickly. San Fran will probably give Alex Smith another go and Dallas has Romo.

3. Buff
4. Cinn
5. AZ
6. Clev
7. SF
8. Tenn
9. Dal
10. Wash

So, will Buffalo, Cinnicinatti, Arizona, Tennessee or Washington become infatuated enough with either Gabbert or Newton to trade their first day away for them? That is the question.

For there to even be a slight chance of that happening...Gabbert and/or Newton will have to catch fire over the next 2mos. They will have to show unbelievably at their individual workouts and get the analysts drooling.

Could happen...but, not likely. More than likely, each of those teams will wait until their number is called and take their chances.

WARHORSE
03-06-2011, 01:51 PM
Right now...I can't see anyone trading up to the #2 spot. The only teams that could possibly do it, would be other top 10 teams. And they would have to give up at least a 2 and 3 to do it. That's a lot of cost to move up just a few spots.

So, for that to happen, there has to be a team or team's that believe that the Bills are going to take a QB (either Gabbert or Newton) and a team is going to have to be in love with that prospect. When you look at the 8 teams that could possibly do it...(Buff, Cinn, AZ, Tenn & WA) seem to be the ones that would consider it. Cleveland has Colt McCoy and don't look like they are going to give up on him that quickly. San Fran will probably give Alex Smith another go and Dallas has Romo.

3. Buff
4. Cinn
5. AZ
6. Clev
7. SF
8. Tenn
9. Dal
10. Wash

So, will Buffalo, Cinnicinatti, Arizona, Tennessee or Washington become infatuated enough with either Gabbert or Newton to trade their first day away for them? That is the question.

For there to even be a slight chance of that happening...Gabbert and/or Newton will have to catch fire over the next 2mos. They will have to show unbelievably at their individual workouts and get the analysts drooling.

Could happen...but, not likely. More than likely, each of those teams will wait until their number is called and take their chances.

I have to agree totally.

But also remember that there most likely will be a new salary cap in place for the rookies which will promote trading rather than hindering it.

No one wants to trade up for a chance to risk 50 mil on a single player panning out unless hes as close to a sure shot as you can get.

As far as Newton and Gabbert goes, make no mistake about it, these guys have real talent. Newton was clutch in a number of games this past year, and his ability to take off, along with his tremendous size/speed/arm are mesmerizing to some. And one thing no one disputes is his leadership.

Can a team win with a QB like Newton? Better believe it. Mike Vick and VYoung are the comparisons. If Young were mature and a leader, he would be entrenched under center at Tennessee. Mike Vicks playmaking ability brings a dimension defenses have to deal with. Mike Vick is fragile. Newton is not.

Gabbert has the same things. Mobility. Big arm. Leadership. He also is off the charts impressive according to those who interviewed him at the combine in the mental department.

Teams are gonna work these guys out at their own facilities. It only takes one to love him.

Take last years draft. No one thought Tebow would be taken in round one.

One team, with rumors of others, fell in love. Baddabing.

PAINTERDAVE
03-06-2011, 02:02 PM
And the scuttlebut was that Buffalo was poised to take TEBOW
in the pick right after we snagged him.
They say the Buffalo GM threw a fit when we picked Tim.

With that memory in place...
we can only hope they want badly to get their QB of choice this year.

underrated29
03-06-2011, 02:40 PM
Ive been saying this ALL OFFSEASON! Buffalo will take Cam newton. They will, and az will take gabbert. So if any team wants one of those 2 guys they will trade up with us to nab them.

ps- fitzpatrick blows.

HORSEPOWER 56
03-06-2011, 04:48 PM

3. Buff
4. Cinn
5. AZ
6. Clev
7. SF
8. Tenn
9. Dal
10. Wash

Not to mention, but of the teams listed, you've got to believe a couple will be trying to get a veteran QB either through FA or trade and won't be purely looking to the draft.

McNabb, Kolb, Bulger, Orton, and Young can all be had for the right price which isn't a first round draft pick. Personally, I think a teams like Carolina, Minnesota, or Arizona who have some youth to develop would be perfect places for a vet (who would be a cheaper 2nd-4th round pick or FA) while guys like Clausen, Webb, and Skelton/Hall develop a little. I don't think anyone in this draft is better than Alex Smith already is and with proper coaching for once, he might actually turn out okay.

Kolb probably has the highest value right now (don't know why, he's been stunningly average when he's started), but I doubt it's more than a 2nd round pick. Orton and McNabb are probably a 3rd and maybe a later round pick's value and guys like Marc Bulger and Vince Young can probably be has for free.

Why spend a high 1st round pick on a QB with more ??? than answers in one of the most D-line heavy drafts in the past 10 years when there are going to be cheaper vets available?

bcbronc
03-06-2011, 06:45 PM
Ive been saying this ALL OFFSEASON! Buffalo will take Cam newton. They will, and az will take gabbert. So if any team wants one of those 2 guys they will trade up with us to nab them.

ps- fitzpatrick blows.

so who would want to jump ahead of BUF or ARI? Ten, maybe Wash. but both are too far back for us to be interested in, hopefully at least. It's one thing to move back 2-3 spots, pick up an extra pick or two and still get one of Bowers, Fairley, Peterson or Dareus. But moving back to 8 or 10 better not be on the table.

hamrob
03-06-2011, 10:39 PM
so who would want to jump ahead of BUF or ARI? Ten, maybe Wash. but both are too far back for us to be interested in, hopefully at least. It's one thing to move back 2-3 spots, pick up an extra pick or two and still get one of Bowers, Fairley, Peterson or Dareus. But moving back to 8 or 10 better not be on the table.I think that we are fine...if we trade back anywhere in the top 10?

Why?

Because we will still get one of our top 5 guys. Here's how:

We like:

Peterson
Miller
Dareus
Bowers
Quinn
Fairley
Other teams will like:

Gabbert
Newton
Green
Amukamara

And that still doesn't touch on guys like:

Watt
Jones
Jordon
Aldon Smith
Best Tackle?

Any of these guys could also jump into the top 10.

My point is, we like 6 guys and with so many other options for teams to select from...one of those 6 guys will be there for us...even if we are picking at #10.

If we can get a couple more first day picks to move down (in the top 10), we have to pull the trigger! To me, the best players in this draft are Miller, Peterson and Dareus. But, Quinn, Bowers, Fairley and Amukamara are right there too!

hamrob
03-06-2011, 10:41 PM
I wouldn't be surprised to see Dallas trade up with us to get Peterson!

PAINTERDAVE
03-06-2011, 11:53 PM

That has been on the rumour mill.. I would like it.

WARHORSE
03-07-2011, 12:01 AM
Why the lovefest for Quinn? Do you just not like any of the defensive tackles? I want Dareus or Peterson if we can't trade down, and have no interest whatsoever in Marvin Austin.

Well I actually think the DTs show a ton of potential, that is Dareus and Fairley.

But as for the lovefest for Quinn, I just think hes a much more valuable piece.

Top caliber DEs are more valuable than top caliber DTs, and imo I think Quinn is gonna be better than Peppers. Thats my opinion.

Obviously you dont share it, and thats fine. I can understand why you like Dareus and Peterson both. Theyre both awesome college players.

I believe had Quinn played this year, he would be the top prospect.

He is my hope for us to draft, and since April 28 is my birthday, I think I should get dibs.:D

Regardless, I hope we get an IMPACT player.

Go Broncos.

WARHORSE
03-07-2011, 12:04 AM

That has been on the rumour mill.. I would like it.

It would cost them their first next year and their second this year. So Id be for it.

We would still get a great player at 9, as well as picking up an extra second and a first next year.

One of these guys would be at 9 guarantee

Cam Newton-be gone

Blaine Gabbert- be gone

Da Quan Bowers

Robert Quinn

Peterson- to Dallas

Prince Amukamara

AJ Green

Dareus

Fairley

Von Miller

Aldon Smith

underrated29
03-07-2011, 01:03 AM
so who would want to jump ahead of BUF or ARI? Ten, maybe Wash. but both are too far back for us to be interested in, hopefully at least. It's one thing to move back 2-3 spots, pick up an extra pick or two and still get one of Bowers, Fairley, Peterson or Dareus. But moving back to 8 or 10 better not be on the table.

I am just going to list possible teams. Even the unlikely ones, just for the sake of it.

buf
az
cincy
wash
titans
sfo

cleveland will not.
dallas will not

It is IMO a Given that buffalo will take cam. So that leaves gabbert up for grabs. If teams believe az will take him like I do, then they will have to trade up. Cincy and sfo make sense. I honestly believe that Ryan Mallett is who shanny likes all the way. But that is just speculation, however we could rule them out of trading up. I dont know, not sure it will happen, but i can see it.

dogfish
03-07-2011, 01:30 AM
IMO, carolina taking gabbert is the most likely scenario. . . there's been a lot of chatter from the NFL.com/NFL network guys about it, and it was reported even before the combine that the panthers weren't sold on taking a DL first overall. . . and there's really no need for subterfuge when you have the top pick. . .

we'll see, but if that's how it plays out, i think you can pretty much guarantee cam newton goes to either buffalo or cincinnati-- and i kinda suspect cincy is too cheap to move up, even if a favorable rookie wage scale is in place. . . mike brown is just cheap, he needs those second and third round picks to play well and save him money on veteran contracts-- i doubt he gives up picks for a risky prospect like newton. . . he generally prefers his reclamation projects on low-money deals, andre smith notwithstanding. . .

arizona's the first real contender, but they're also kinda cheap. . . if they can get kevin kolb for a second, i'd look for them to do that instead, and take a defensive player. . .

that would leave us tennessee and san francisco-- both with new coaches. . . will they want to build around the failed leftover QB from the previous regime? since the lack of faith in vince young seems organizational in nature at this point, i'd say the niners are the more likely of the two to possibly give the guy another shot. . .

but will the titans try to acquire a vet and draft one of the second-tier QB prospects in the second round? i'm afraid that's probably the smartest option for them. . . are kaepernick, ponder and locker really that far behind cam newton, given all the personal questions he faces? not IMO. . . take a guy that's a little shorter, little less high profile college career, but with clean history and work habits. . . they can get a much safer prospect like von miller or amukamara with that pick, why give away more picks to take a chance on cam? the odds just aren't good enough. . .

but maybe we'll get lucky and someone will get drunk enough the night before the draft to make a bad decision. . . GO BRONCOS!

:heh:

sneakers
03-07-2011, 02:37 AM
Why in the bloody tube socks would you want to move down...he is sitting there for you? Why leave things to chance by moving down?????????

PAINTERDAVE
03-07-2011, 03:01 AM
Why in the bloody tube socks would you want to move down...he is sitting there for you? Why leave things to chance by moving down?????????

Because we need extra picks since Josh screwed us....
and by only moving down a few slots we still get one of the guys we want.
and we then pay a bit less for ourr pick.

OR...

they just take the dang pick.

Who knows... April is a month away.

HORSEPOWER 56
03-07-2011, 08:42 AM

My thoughts exactly. Every year we Broncos fans moan and groan about being just out of reach of the real elite DL talent. Now, for the 1st time in a quarter century, we're in position to draft some real DL elite talent and you guys want to trade down?

Why? So we can maybe get another second or third round pick to spend on another guy who is second tier talent at best and will more likely NOT become a starter?

In the past decade name me a second round pick of ours who has made a significant contribution to this team. Can you? For the 3 I can think of D-Will (RIP), Eddie Royal (pre-McDaniels), and Tony Scheffler (pre-McDaniels), there are more Alphonso Smiths, Darcell McBaths, Richard Quinns, Terry Pierces, etc.

It's just not worth the risk. When you have the opportunity to take a potential elite franchise player, you don't trade that away just so you can get another shot at second tier talent in hopes that they might turn out to be decent. This league is centered around playmakers. The days of "no-name" teams winning Championships is over. These days it takes a top QB or a dominant defense... typically both.

I understand draft position doesn't guarantee success and there have been more prospects missed on than anyone wants to count, but there is a reason that scouts and experts rank players where they do. I'd like to draft an elite defensive talent please. No more second rate drafts and relying on FA to build a defensive line. Let's do it right this time and get what we need and want instead of just having to "settle" all the time or build it through other's scraps.

We're not one player away from anything. One more second round pick probably won't mean the difference between the playoffs or not. There's a reason we're drafting 2nd overall... we stink! Let's use that pick to make us better instead of doubling down and trying to get twice as rich with twice the risk.

TXBRONC
03-07-2011, 09:09 AM

If we're flip flopping places with Buffalo there isn't any chance of missing out on either Dareus or Fairley. One of them will still be available. That said, if Denver is dead set one or the other of those two then they should absolutely stay put to make sure they get their guy. Personally I'm with you I would rather Denver just sit tight and take preferably Dareus and be done with it.

PAINTERDAVE
03-07-2011, 11:42 AM
Good points about "Just take the dang pick!"

And if there is no offseason due to an extended lockout...
we wil also get a great pick next year as well...

maybe by 2013 we will have built a real team.

TXBRONC
03-07-2011, 11:55 AM
Good points about "Just take the dang pick!"

And if there is no offseason due to an extended lockout...
we wil also get a great pick next year as well...

maybe by 2013 we will have built a real team.

:salute:
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

Lonestar
03-07-2011, 12:55 PM
HP I disagree another top #2 makes a huge difference down the road.

We need to suck up on as many top 50 picks as we can lay our hands on.

You are correct we are not going anywhere this year unless SAN KC and Oak all biff it big time.

silkamilkamonico
03-07-2011, 02:08 PM
Any team looking to take Cam newton at #2, let alone trade up to get him, is incredibly stupid, IMHO.

Newton is the smoke screen that everyone is talking about, and will not go as high as anyone thinks.

At least he shouldn't.

NightTerror218
03-07-2011, 05:08 PM
I think that we are fine...if we trade back anywhere in the top 10?

Why?

Because we will still get one of our top 5 guys. Here's how:

We like:

Peterson
Miller
Dareus
Bowers
Quinn
Fairley
Other teams will like:

Gabbert
Newton
Green
Amukamara

And that still doesn't touch on guys like:

Watt
Jones
Jordon
Aldon Smith
Best Tackle?

Any of these guys could also jump into the top 10.

My point is, we like 6 guys and with so many other options for teams to select from...one of those 6 guys will be there for us...even if we are picking at #10.

If we can get a couple more first day picks to move down (in the top 10), we have to pull the trigger! To me, the best players in this draft are Miller, Peterson and Dareus. But, Quinn, Bowers, Fairley and Amukamara are right there too!

What could work out well is if a team trades up for Miller rather the Cam....and move a couple stops down....say the browns, 49ers or something move up could work nicely given Buff, and AZ draft a QB

TXBRONC
03-08-2011, 12:57 AM
Any team looking to take Cam newton at #2, let alone trade up to get him, is incredibly stupid, IMHO.

Newton is the smoke screen that everyone is talking about, and will not go as high as anyone thinks.

At least he shouldn't.

Come out of closet Silk everyone knows you would draft Cam Newton in a heartbeat. :heh:

JDL
03-08-2011, 01:05 AM

ps- fitzpatrick blows.

Arizona has no interest in taking a QB that highly... Fitz wants to win now and he isn't signing a new deal until the Cards get a QB he approves of... besides they are desperate to replace Karlos Dansby and actually develop a pass rush. All the talk here is Von Miller.

rcsodak
03-08-2011, 06:15 AM
Arizona has no interest in taking a QB that highly... Fitz wants to win now and he isn't signing a new deal until the Cards get a QB he approves of... besides they are desperate to replace Karlos Dansby and actually develop a pass rush. All the talk here is Von Miller.

Lil' Pitt

Buff
03-08-2011, 10:04 AM
I just want to take a big dump in every "trade down from #2" thread.